Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Nov 2011 - almost time to push!

(996 Posts)
TerrysNo2 Wed 12-Oct-11 19:07:48

Last thread was full so thought I would just start this one off - hope you don't mind as I know I've not been a regular but god forbid you guys having nowhere to chat ;)

Right, caz what's happening, I am stalking you all over the shop and need more news smile

voodoomunkee Fri 14-Oct-11 06:50:18

Congrats on the arrival of Xander! Lovely news to wake up to!
Cali I hope you are getting some rest, just think one day you will look back on this and erm well you will be looking back from the other side anyways! Same for you LK! Can't remember how that long drawn out process is but can't imagine it's pleasant. Kelly much for the same for you! Keeping my fingers crossed that things get moving more effectively!
I went to the tour of the labour ward last night. Just reaffirmed my belief that that is NOT the place I want to give birth! Had a chat to the mw who was totally amazed by the things I havebeen told re not being able to give birth in the MLU or at home! Said that she sees women who have more issues and a higher BMI than I delivering there and there are no problems! Suggested that I go to my consultant appt today, refuse to see anyone but my consultant and then quietly argue my case. She says after that if I am still not happy to seriously consider a home birth or to turn up at the MLU who would not turn me away! She also said there was absolutely no reason why i couldnt have a waterbirth! I explained that even with the baby weight I had lost around 2kg and a bit and she laughed, patted my arm and said I was unfortunately on the receiving end of 'dedication to the rules rather than common sense!' OH and I fairly danced out the hospital! So now I feel so much better, the relief is palpable and I slept like a log!
I hope everyone is well. Glad it is Friday and I have lots of things planned for the weekend, including a little shopping trip to examine a skateboard for my sons Xmas pressie and to buy some final things for my hospital bag. First the consultant appt.... smile

KellyKettle Fri 14-Oct-11 06:51:17

Oh god, I think I've just had a bloody show. Well, definitely blood. What do I do?

Not loads, blobs when I wiped.

Someone calm me because I'm starting to flap!

Shit.

voodoomunkee Fri 14-Oct-11 06:57:41

No be calm!! See what happens Kelly, put a pad on if necessary! If it's a show either little bits will keep coming away. If not it will be more and it won't be pinkish. Ring the maternity assessment when you are calm and ask their advice. Is dd at nursery today?

voodoomunkee Fri 14-Oct-11 06:58:29

Am mentally holding your hand here!!

KellyKettle Fri 14-Oct-11 06:59:46

No, we're home alone although DH's office is only 10 mins down motorway.

Midwife coming at 10am so shall I just wait and see what she says?

I can't believe how much that's thrown me.

DH has just gone back to sleep - wise man smile

KellyKettle Fri 14-Oct-11 07:00:40

Thanks for the handholding voodoo. I was only 38 weeks yesterday so didnt really expect anything.

I'm making a cuppa and going to lie on the sofa for a bit.

H007 Fri 14-Oct-11 07:10:18

Kelly I'd phone up the advice line on the front of your yellow book, they are really good and will advise on whether they want you to pop in for a look or whether to wait for your MW visit at 10 smile good luck

And congratulations Caz on Xander, can't wait to see pics smile

alicat10 Fri 14-Oct-11 07:18:30

Xander safely here - CS 14th O t 0:45 8lb 13oz all doing well - yay!!!

KellyKettle Fri 14-Oct-11 07:20:01

Thanks H (just worked out who you are on FB btw smile)

Wow! Xander is a great size! That's not a typo is it?

Hope Caz is ok after her CS x

KellyKettle Fri 14-Oct-11 07:21:33

I've spoken to the MW, she says it might be something and nothing (I refrained from texting her the photo of the loo roll blush).

So I'm going to calm down, drink my tea and enjoy the peace and quiet before DD wakes up smile

Folicacid Fri 14-Oct-11 07:27:37

Haha Kelly at texting pics of loo roll! Rest up and keep us posted.

Jeeeeez it's ramping up on here isn't it?...exciting stuff.

TwoJackRussellsandabean Fri 14-Oct-11 07:32:12

Congrats Caz, glad he is here safely smile

Good luck Kelly, lets hope its nothing to worry too much about and everything is heading in the right direction, IYSWIM?

Nowt much going on here, just waiting waiting for something exciting to happen.....

juststarting Fri 14-Oct-11 07:40:41

Hi all, sorry, been crazy busy and stressy here. Congratulations to caz and family. Lying here with bum in air and head dwon trying to invert the child. 34 weeks tomorrow here and still breech. Kelly, I had a bloody tissue four days before the actual birth.

juststarting Fri 14-Oct-11 07:51:27

Chip, I also wanted to say sorry i've not been on here so much, but i've just looked back to see what you've written and i'm so glad she died with you in a loving, secure place. I am once again weeping for you all and I hope you find solace and strength as well as patience and compassion in each other. Sylvie Rose's heart, her place in your lives and the love and the journey that you shared doesnt die with her, and those things will always have their place in your family.

hehe no it is not a typo... he really is that chunky! Caz did her very best! Well done to you strong brave lady! You must be so proud and happy! I bet Belle is too, looking down at her baby brother!

chip has joined us at the bereaved mummies thread and we are looking after her very well! I bet we'll both be checking in on here very regularly over the next few weeks to congratulate you all on the arrivals of the November babies!

mashpot Fri 14-Oct-11 08:16:17

Wow Caz congratulations! A big bouncing healthy boy! Great news. Kelly best of luck with midwife.

I am heading into work with dread after a run in with a colleague yesterday. She's trying to interfere with my handover (nothing to do with her and my junior so none of her business) and I totally lost my patience. I didn't sleep well last night and am not looking forward to spending my day in the tense atmosphere of our office. Also weighing up whether to speak to my boss about it. Not what I need with only 2 weeks left in the office. 35+5 and wishing I didn't have to go to work!

Can't wait to hear more news from Caz Cali and anyone else who might produce a baby soon to cheer me up!

TerrysNo2 Fri 14-Oct-11 09:29:19

Yay yay yay Caz!! grin

Cali I might get that pattern but I need a girl to knit it for! Oh well, if I don't have a girl then maybe someone on here could benefit from it. Its beautiful.

H007 Fri 14-Oct-11 10:50:48

Had a scan today and I am growing a whooper in my belly! Bean has a head measuring 39 weeks, tummy measuring 39 weeks and legs measuring 37 weeks. I am only 35 weeks tomorrow and they're estimating her at just over 7lbs now

voodoomunkee Fri 14-Oct-11 10:55:15

So what will they do now H007?
I've just sat and cried in the consultant appt. She went and asked MLU and they said no. So unless I want to deliver in the consultant led then I have to have a homebirth. I don't want to deliver in the consultant led, it is a horrid place, the pool they have is awful. Am utterly sick. Now on my last day at work in 2 weeks time I have to return to the hospital as she thinks the baby is big. Grrrr!!!

H007 Fri 14-Oct-11 10:59:34

Nothing they think the best thing is to let me carry on naturally... He said just because she's big now doesn't mean she's going to continue to grow it may be a spurt. I'm probably going to go to the delivery suite now but after looking at DS an MLU on YouTube at my hospital there doesn't seem to be much difference between the two.

chipmonkey Fri 14-Oct-11 11:17:13

Cali I only just looked at the pattern and I hadn't realised you'd named it after Sylvie-Rose. I am so touched by your kindness and amazed by your talent! It's absolutely beautiful!
thanks

Yay for Caz and Xander. He's a beautiful baby, such scrumptious pudgy cheeks!

Congratulations Caz and Xander!

Chip Good to see you back on here! It must be some comfort to know that Sylvie-Rose died with you, and that nothing could have been done, even had she stayed in hospital. Thank goodness you have your four boys (well, five including DH!) to keep you busy and make you strong. You're doing so well.

Yay Folic for placenta having shifted!

I had a minor fright when I had a growth scan, and was told that Connor was exactly the same as last time. "Hasn't my baby grown at all then?" said I in a very small voice. "Oh sorry!" said the consultant. "Your baby is growing perfectly. I meant that he is on exactly the same percentile as last time!" Hopefully she'll learn to phrase that better another time!

I've a scan next thursday to see if my placenta is out of the way. I'm dreading the possibility of having to have a CS. I'm a very light sleeper, and three nights in hospital in a ward with others with no sleep will have me on my knees. And there is no partner to look after me at home, and take a turn at nights. I'm sure my kids will do their best, and will get themselves off to school/college/uni, and will shop and cook, but I don't want to lean on them more than absolutely necessary. I'm trying not to think about it, as it won't make the placenta move any. Roll on next thursday so at least I'll know.

Caz Many huge congrats you the birth of Xander and hope you recover well from the section. At first i thought 8lb 13oz isn't that big but then realised he's officially 36 weeks, so wow. Enjoy your lovely newborn son.

Kelly I'm sure you know this but if labour is going to start, well, it's going to start! Don't panic. You are full-term and trust the midwife. If you're having a HB there's no need to go anywhere near the hospital unless you want to. Trust your body, it knows what to do.

Voodoo I am angry on your behalf. You do not need this.
First - would you be prepared to think about a HB? It's not too late. Or would you feel brave enough to suggest one - sometimes consultants are so freaked out by your HB plans that they will offer the MLU as a compromise/just to get you close to the CLU?

The other option is to just turn up at the MLU when in labour (and stay at home as long as possible) and play dumb: 'ooh I thought I was going to give birth here <confused> - now I'm here...' But that's a long shot tbh and quite risky, depending on where the MLU is compared to CLU (eg if they are next door, you could find yourself whipped off). Would the mw you spoke to put it in writing that they wouldn't turn you away if you turned up?

Ultimately it is your call but if the CLU really isn't what you want, I'd go for a HB but that's just me.
And as to your scan...I am naughty (as I'm sure you know) and I'd either refuse the appt or not turn up/cancel on the day. Scanning at this late stage is no more accurate than manual palpation of your tummy. The reason they prefer to scan is so they have physical evidence to demonstrate they 'took action'.
As I think I said before, hospitals are far more likely to get into trouble if they have not done something than if they have eg a surgeon is more likely to be sued if he doesn't do a section than if he does and botches it.
If they scan you they can wave their bit of paper and say 'but we followed procedure' (not that anything will go wrong).

Sorry I'm ranting now as I get so cross. The truth is the vast, vast majority of women will birth just fine without scans, tests or consultants. I also believe that most women do not grow babies that are too big to birth - there is some thinking that larger babies are easier to birth due to gravity. Most extra weight is on a baby's tummy or legs which will squish during labour - it's the head that's the important bit. Get that out and you should be OK.

But, as you know by now, these are just my thoughts and opinions - you will birth best where you feel safest. For many women that is in hospital and that is just fine for them.

voodoomunkee Fri 14-Oct-11 12:29:40

Ah am stressed! I would consider a homebirth and OH is really supportive. How can I be ok for a homebirth where am not in the hospital and yet can't go to MLU. I truly feel that by going to clu I would be more stressed. Therefore at higher risk of intervention!

Caliphora Fri 14-Oct-11 12:50:54

Kelly I had my show two days ago, and things seem... slow... Lol - I asked DP if he had an iron stomach, so he could see the show - he was quite amazed at it (I had to stop him taking pictures of it... shock)

Chip It's the least I can do. (hugs) I wish I could say or do something more.

voodoo That's absolute rubbish. I'd be raising hell if I was you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now