Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

October 2011 Baby Bus... PART 4

(992 Posts)
happymummytobe Mon 01-Aug-11 13:03:23

A new thread for the bus!

rebelwithoutababy Mon 01-Aug-11 13:55:39

Thanks HMTB! Just marking my spot...

EdwardorEricCantDecide Mon 01-Aug-11 14:03:47

hi all just wanted to mark my place on the new bus.

someone was mentioning the postnatal ward on the last thread, i did find it really hard to sleep at night on the ward, i asked my MW last week if it were possible to get a private room this time (willing to pay) she said not to worry i'll probably be out within 12 hrs of birth anyway.

it was ok sleeping suring the day but horrible at night.

apples82 Mon 01-Aug-11 14:08:16

Do you stay in a room by yourself after the birth, or always get moved to a ward?

PenguinArmy Mon 01-Aug-11 17:55:57

With the post-natal, I found being prepared for the worse helped.

Schro Sounds like you are coming to terms with it

cheeky I will be requesting a CS for the same reasons but do feel weird about it.

Now that I've started thinking about things I'm getting a little panicky. I think it's all the unknowns, will they say yes to CS, how long before I get registered in the UK, how to sort out anti-D and check-up that I've missed (that will be in a different county to where we will live as will be at my mums for a few weeks).

Also I don't have a plan long-term, since I have left my job. I don't even know if that's an area I want to go back to or start a new career. I'm worried about lack of structure to my day (this tends to lead to me getting down). We fly in about 8 hours

apples I think it varies. IME they like to transfer you to a ward for the first bit as it's easier to keep an eye an you. I then got transferred to a private room for my comfort once I was independent again.

EdwardorEricCantDecide Mon 01-Aug-11 18:40:47

In my hospital MW said there are v few private rooms and they are kept for v sick women.
I was transferred to a ward about 3-4hours after DS was born, I think they leave u for a bit to get through ur first feed have a bit of rest etc, although I don't doubt I would have been moved along sooner had they needed the room.

CheshireDing Mon 01-Aug-11 19:32:52

God hoping we all don't end up in a post natal ward they do sound evil!

Rebel I have another scan on 1st September for low lying placenta too, Midwife said 80% of them bugger off out of the way though so fingers crossed and water Hypnobirth for us both smile

Penguin where are you coming from to come back to the UK?

Anyone in the Cheshire or Manchester area for a meet up once we are on maternity leave?

BB3 Mon 01-Aug-11 20:10:45

Thanks HMTB

penguin YOu will be SO, SO busy until the babies are born sorting it all out that you won't have time to worry when you get off the plane! I found lack of structure hard and not having adult conversation. It takes a lot of effort to plan days (and then un-plan them because the baby will not co-operate!) grin It is scary but also SO exciting - just think in a few hours you will be starting a new life!!! [why isn't there a super-excited emoticon!!]

Apples I don't think post natal wards are that bad at all. Ds was born at 4pm and I was taken to the ward at 7pm. I was offered a private room (that I would need to pay for) but the birth was straight forward and DS was feeding fine so I knew I would be going home soon - I would have gone that evening but the paediatricians left just before I arrived so they couldn't do his checks before we left. Yes it was noisy (a bit) but then DS was the loudest on the ward (didn't cry much but when he did BOY did we know it) and DH was allowed to stay in the chair next to me. But I didn't even want to sleep I was so hyped just staring at this baby boy that was MINE (and not being able to process it all!). I wasn't even aware of things around me and the other mums were nice enough. If I was to have a CS and would be in for 3-4 days I would want a private room I think but again will have to see if there is one available (we are in a new area and different hospital which is not as nice and DH isn't allowed to stay sad) Fingers crossed this placenta moves for me so I can have a VB and come home relatively soon as regardless of where you are room or ward, all you want to do is get home with your babies!!!

is anyone else melting in the heat? Today was my first day working at home for the last month of work before mat leave and I am so glad I didn't have the two hour commute to work today - I missed the AC of the office but I was able to stand in a freezing cold shower at 4pm when I couldn't cope anymore wink! I am hoping this heatwave decides to be more of a heat blip so I can get through the next 6-8 weeks without ripping people's heads off! grin

CheshireDing Mon 01-Aug-11 22:26:54

BB3 I feel hot and heavy!

My stomach started moving tonight to the point that I could SEE it moving around, very odd/creepy smile

BB3 Tue 02-Aug-11 06:24:35

DS is officially trying to destroy me! 2am wake up with nightmares and then refusing to go back to sleep!!!! Eurgh. That's all I have to say!!!

LittlePebble Tue 02-Aug-11 06:36:58

Morning, hmtb thanks for new thread.
BB3 and all you other mums I don't know how you manage with a toddler as well. I'm struggling holding my job down and coping with the puppy, cats and house....hopefully by the time I'm pregnant again I'll be better at being pregnant IYSWIM?
Bit scared by sounds of post natal wards I hadn't even thought about what happened after the birth (naive emoticon) does anyone know what happens in Derriford in Plymouth?

BB3 Tue 02-Aug-11 09:27:17

Puppy's must be similar to babies, they need regular food, water and attention!!! I have found this pregnancy easier as DS was a horrid one but then I think about the swollen legs, back ache, pains etc now and wonder if it's just because I don't have time to think about it as much as with DS grin.

One of my sisters is our nanny and took DS from 7.30 so I've been back to sleep for 90 minutes which had helped! Still in pjs and supposed to start work in 6 minutes! Oh well no one can see me!!!!

My sister had a baby 12 weeks ago and text me earlier asking when will she feels like she has her body back. I didn't like to burst her bubble and say not for a loooooong time so I said it was early to be feeling normal again. I forgot what it's like after the babies come, you don't eat the same way, you don't sleep the same or do the same exercise so it does make your body feel a bit alien! Although right now with the size of my tummy I'm looking forward to the alien feeling if it means I can walk without looking like a weeble!! wink

Sun is back today angry I'd be happy with it if there was a nice breeze or I was on was on a beach with cold drinks and the cool sea to pop in to. I don't think it's much to ask....grin

cheekydino Tue 02-Aug-11 09:36:07

Morning all and thanks for the new thread hmtb! And thanks all for the reassurance re my CS choice - I'm not sure when it will be yet as it hasn't been booked - I asked for another chat with the consultant before my final decision but the more I think about it the more I think it is the right decision for me. I imagine sometime around 23rd sept as they like to do them at 39 weeks now. All us CS folk will have to reassure each other lots nearer the time!

God - I hadn't even thought about the post natal ward. I've been obsessed with the birth bit and the aftermath when getting home and having a mad toddler in the house. I hope I get a private room but unlikely. Last time as my son was in intensive care I didn't go to a postnatal ward but back to the antenatal ward for people with health issues (ie preeclampsia etc) where I had been for a few days after my waters broke. That was noisy enough even though there weren't any babies on the ward.

So many scary things ahead, will try and think of all the positives and post those instead!

rebelwithoutababy Tue 02-Aug-11 09:47:22

Yay for the waterbirth/hypnobirth Cheshire: let's keep our fingers crossed the pesky placentas move...and for you too BB3.
Am def struggling in heat too...have got two fans pointing at me in office at mo', so all papers flying around, but I don't care (no air con in NHS!)
BTW, have decided is a stupid idea to tell anyone about birthplan, as everyone (except my dear mother and lovely DH, who are v supportive) just says the stupid comment "oh, you say that now, you'll be begging for the epidural once the contractions start!" with glee in their eyes! Or, "Oh, I don't know why women feel they have to go through the pain, just have an epidural". I mean, I know I haven't done this before, and I am prepared to be flexible on the day, but I am not stupid, I know labour hurts, and I also know that some women manage to do it with G+A alone, so I would like to try...
and while we're at it, could you stop telling me about the "friend of a friend" who had an awful experience etc etc....
What is it with people when they are talking to a pregnant woman?! Am also still getting those "you're huge" comments on a daily basis: gee, thanks! I am actually growing a person in there! And yes, it will continue to get bigger until I deliver actually, so you don't need to comment on it every day as well!
Sorry, rant over...must be hot weather making me cross!
Roll on mat leave! (god, still 7 1/2 weeks to go!!!)
xx

BB3 Tue 02-Aug-11 10:22:00

rebel I would LOVE to have a completely natural birth with no epi or anything so ignore your friends. The only reason I had it with DS (and then the bugger didn't work) is that I had not slept in three days and I needed a pain free hour or so to get my strength up to do the pushing part.

I've come to the conclusion that pregnant women are apparently public property that people can touch, talk to and comment on in a way that is completely inappropriate to a non pregnant person.

emmazed Tue 02-Aug-11 10:27:05

hello everyone, and thanks hmtb for setting up the new thread

i am 30+6 and starting to freak a little bit about how soon it will all happen. i am so not prepared at all...

i am also hoping for a water birth in the birthing centre (with natal hypnotherepy) but am totally prepared to make changes if necessary. i think it is nice to have an ideal for if everything goes ok.

my bump is moving (very visibly) lots now. i dont go for long in the day without feeling lots of movemement which i love.

Just starting to feel tired - it is my birthday at the weekend and i arranged for about 20 people to come over (planned a month ago when i was full of energy!). i usually like to cook everything from scratch, but this time i think i will be getting lots of pre-prepared things to make it easier.

x

happymummytobe Tue 02-Aug-11 11:30:37

Phew it's hot! I was going to go off for a nice long walk this morning (at a snail's pace) but can't even contemplate it now I've stepped outside.
Have almost finished buying the fun baby things and am completely blanking other necessary things from my mind - like maternity bras! Also, have just realised that I don't have any tops suitable for bf and have no idea where to get any. Anyone got any tips?!

EdwardorEricCantDecide Tue 02-Aug-11 13:14:20

happymummytobe i also blank things like maternity bras and boring stuff from my mind. grin

regarding BF tops, i didn't have any with DS i work vests (cheap ones from primark) underneath my top and pulled the outer top up and the vest down and this prevents anyone seeing anything and baby gets decent access, i found this worked best with empire line tops on top and lycra seamless type vests under, much cheaper and more useful in long run. HTH

i've had a lot of moodswings over the past week, and also morning sickness is back angry

CheshireDing Tue 02-Aug-11 18:45:29

Edward my sickness has come back too sad On and off over the last 2 weeks but yesterday AND this morning.

I thought it was just me being odd, I cannot understand why it's come back now. Do you know why?

EdwardorEricCantDecide Tue 02-Aug-11 20:50:22

I think it's to do with baby pushing your stomach up closer to your throat and causing indentation/heartburn etc but that's a guess, it didn't come back when I was pg with DS but def is now I'm more nauseous when I'm driving or right after breakfast.

CheshireDing Tue 02-Aug-11 22:45:39

Ahh thanks Edward.

My other question to you ladies is a bit strange (and personal) but I am sure the area where I would have a bikini wax (the top bit and immediate sides) is bulging. Is this my imagination or is there some weird baby thing going on?

I only noticed this tonight in the shower, feels a bit like having a hernia, I imagine.

PenguinArmy Wed 03-Aug-11 02:32:34

I didn't buy BF tops until a few weeks in (didn't want to jinx nothing). Mothercare ones were awful but had a good few online <racks brain> I'll come back to that one, but i think JoJo....wotsit. They were not the ones with holes but the ones where you lifted the whole flap, one tank over another type thing.

We are in the UK (have been living in CA the past year) and jet lagged obviously (note time of post). I was fine but DD has had a very unsettled sleep the last 3 hours so I'm all out. Eventually we'll move to Oxford which I hear baby wise is quite good. thanks for the pep talk, I think after the road trip and the masses of stuff still to do I'm rather tired and just realising I don't know what I'll be doing in a year. It does kinda feel like I've given up but need to try and not feel guilty for taking a year, lots of people take a year as mat leave.

My downstairs bit are a bit bulgy (and leaky) but not how you describe (I think), sorry chesire

apologies for big things I've missed I'm not with it enough to take in posts properly (and I was more cool in CA, the house here retains its heat).

rebelwithoutababy Wed 03-Aug-11 13:28:08

Hey girls. Cheshire I can't see my undercarriage at all, so wouldn't know, but maybe just a bit of swelling/oedema from the pressure....is it soft and can you push it back in?
God, haven't even thought about BF and post-birth clothes - am having trouble accepting that I will still look about 6 months pregnant once baby born...still in denial and thinking that I will spring back to an approximation of what I looked like before...!

PenguinArmy Wed 03-Aug-11 14:43:57

it was blooming marvellous (the clothes people not just a random comment). I brought my post pg clothes back from the states with me.

BB3 Wed 03-Aug-11 15:13:46

Hello all

Wow, another scorcher. apparently it's supposed to change tomorrow - is it wrong that I am pleased about that?!?

Cheshire might be worth getting it checked out, a bit of swelling / discharge is normal but if you are worried about it, it's better to just get some reassurance.

I don't think I bought a single bfing top - lived in vest tops and shirts and comfort clothes. At the beginning I was really cautious and used muslins to cover everything up but soon enough I just realised I didn't care enough and got on with it and hoped no one could see too much!! grin.

Babies have been very quiet in the heat. Have een doing some solid monitoring today as I was a bit concerned and pretty sure they are both still flapping around in there and have had my doppler out and again 75% sure that I heard the two different heartbeats. 30+1 today and starting to feel the full force of my size. Have a hen weekend this weekend which I am dreading but definitely can't get out of. Feel so bad for the hen as there are 11 of us going, two are pregnant (me heavily), two just dropped out and another one can only come for part of it so sure it will be great either way but not quite what she was expecting.

Am definitely in count down mode now. 31 week midwife next week, 32 week scan on 16th. COME ON 34 weeks which is my official I'm OK phase and then it's operation get these babies out from 35 weeks!

Pram arrived today, all 8 boxes of it. I took it straight up to the office / nursery. Bearing in mind the only thing in there is a computer desk the boxes completely fill the remaining floor space! Crikey! Going to open it up tomorrow and just have a peak and make sure nothing is damaged then zip it back up and send it over to some family so it's not in the house (I am one of those superstitious people!) Have to resist the temptation to build it and start walking around the house doing my best impression of a yummy mummy! blush. I'm not yummy FYI I am HUGE and sweaty and uncomfortable but ho hum!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now