Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Midwives online

(53 Posts)
yULeYSEES Wed 16-Nov-05 12:19:48

They've just been talking about PND on This morning and mentioned midwivesonline. It's a site online with midwives!

I'll try to put a link on this thread for anyone who may be interested.

yULeYSEES Wed 16-Nov-05 12:20:56
kirsty22 Mon 25-Jun-07 20:41:18

Am i pregnant?

my period is 5 days late, i took a test and it came up with a really fate pink line so i did another one with a different test but nothing came up, does this mean i am pregnant but my hCG is weak?

birthball Mon 16-Jul-07 15:53:10

I am curious, is anyone out there who is giving advice on this site a registered midwife?

birthball Mon 16-Jul-07 15:54:27

Just to clarify by this site I mean mumsnet not midwives online!

lulumama Mon 16-Jul-07 15:56:27

yes birthball...there are a number of midwives on here...Mears, mintpurple, stripeyknickersspottysocks, helenshismadwife ...and plenty of doulas and other knowledgeable women !

birthball Mon 16-Jul-07 16:14:01

Thanks, I am also a midwife...It's good for us to know what information women are getting and who they are getting it from! A very interesting site!

lulumama Mon 16-Jul-07 16:15:18

think there are others...but those are the ones i can remember off the top of my head

birthball Mon 16-Jul-07 16:16:49

So are you a doula? Which area do you work in?

lulumama Mon 16-Jul-07 16:20:13

yes, am in merseyside , just done my first two births....was inspired to start having had a VBAC almost 2 years ago.. didn;t know such a thing existed , until i started researching how to help have a better birth experience.. have not stopped reading and learning since! my goal is to train as a midwife, when my children are older ....

birthball Mon 16-Jul-07 16:21:33

Go for it, it's a wonderful job! Thanks for your help...

lulumama Mon 16-Jul-07 16:24:10

ellasmum1 Mon 16-Jul-07 16:29:27

And me! I am a registered Midwife. Nice to meet you!

birthball Mon 16-Jul-07 16:30:51

Hi! It's a facinating site isn't it...

ellasmum1 Mon 16-Jul-07 16:34:10

Had a look at Midwivesonline- Think its better to ask us questions free on mumsnet rather than "pay a small fee" per question!

ellasmum1 Mon 16-Jul-07 16:38:48

Mumsnet is THE best site in the world! I use it mostly as a mum and over the last 3 years have had unbelievable advice and support every time I have had a question/worry etc.
I recommend it to the new mums I care for too!
Love being a midwife myself- I work on a low risk birth unit at the moment and its lovely. Have worked on an awful understaffed postnatal ward before though and it really got me down. Are you a hospital midwife then?

birthball Mon 16-Jul-07 16:43:09

God no! I work for a caseload community based team. I registered out of professional interest. I think it's really important for midwives to know what women are saying to each other and what they think of the service although that can be a bit depressing...

lulumama Mon 16-Jul-07 16:46:14

sorry to miss you out ellasmum1 !

birthball Mon 16-Jul-07 16:49:49

Nice talking to you both. Have to sign out now MSLC meeting to attend...a midwives' work is never done ha ha

ellasmum1 Tue 17-Jul-07 23:08:50

Don't worry Lulumama
I'm not well known as a midwife on here because I rarely post advice/go near the pregnancy threads etc. Someone else usually gets in there first(like Mears, she seems great!). And like I said, I (selfishly) use mumsnet for my own needs as a parent to one glorious dd!

lisamariexx Wed 12-Sep-07 10:25:42

i am 33 weeks and i am getting really bad pivils pain and i am spotting can u help

RobbiesGirl Thu 20-Sep-07 12:13:24

Just wondered if anyone could help me....i am 25 weeks pregnant, with my second child (first was a girl and this time i am having a boy)...i have had one miscarriage at 13 weeks before my first child, and i have been put on the sick by my doctor for 6 weeks, although he doesn't think i will be going back to work this side of me having the baby, as i was having aching in my lower tummy and back, so he made me lie on the bed and he felt my tummy and listened to the baby, which everything was fine, and he said it was probably the baby lying funny, so i mentioned it to my midwife to be sure, as she might know a bit more, but she just agreed, and said also it could be that my little girl was less than a year old when i concieved this time, and that my body didn't have the chance to recover from my first pregnancy. but now, i am still having the pains, and also now in my back passage, sometimes the pains are sharp sometimes they are dull like an ache, paracetamol work for a while, but i seem to be living on them, i amhaving sleepless nights because of the pain, and am worried something is wrong with me....and hoping i am just being paranoid, (which i have a tendancy of being anyway) and that i just have piles, trapped wind and my ligaments are stretching, as i cannot walk anywhere for long periods of time(by long i mean 20 minutes) as i get aches and pains in my side.....please can someone advise me and put my mind at rest as it's really getting me down and depressed....thanks all for reading my boring complaints.....

WorriedMum26 Wed 31-Oct-07 13:04:22

hiya, im new here was wondering if someone could help me. Im nearly 9 weeks pregnant but i suffered a miscariage nine weeks ago. Do the midwives treat you differently after a miscarriage due to me not having a period inbetween getting pregnant again. DO i have a incresed chance of miscarrying again.

PLease help me

Thanks

Worried Mum 26

imopop Thu 01-Nov-07 19:01:52

WM26
Any health professional should not treat you any differently. It is your choice when you choose to try again. Having had 6 miscarriages I think your risk is only higher once you have over 3 miscarriages. Many people get pregnant straightaway after miscarriage and go on to have perfectly healthy pregnancies. Congrats and I wish you the best of luck.
Ps I am a nurse not a midwife

g26 Wed 17-Sep-08 10:50:02

my lmp began 9th Aug. If i had sex on the 15th Aug then again on the 20th Aug again on the 6th Sept and on the 15th Sept still no period. i tested on the 14th Sept and again on the 17th Sept could i be pregnant from any of the 2 times in aug or would it more likely be the 6thSpt or maybe even the 15th Sept? sorry so many dates flying around.

Pse help G26

boy Thu 02-Oct-08 09:51:47

I have just found this thread, I am so pleased other midwives are using mumsnet, I joined as a mum of three. I will try to help with advice and support if I can.

hollys88 Tue 03-Feb-09 12:49:43

hi. can any body help me please. i am 38 weeks 3 days pregnant. for the past few weeks i have had constant lower back pain. the past couple of nites i have been woken up with the pain and it seems to spread from my back round to my lower stomach to the point where i cant breathe. i try to change position but nothing works.i also sometimes can feelmy stomach tightening. this lasts about 10minutes then just goes away. also baby is still quite active and when she moves it feels like she is pressing on something down below and it is very painful. this morning i have woken up to back ache yet again follwed by the constant feeling of needing to go the toilet but i cant push anything out and also feel quite sick. can any body tell me if this is just really bad braxton hicks or the real thing? also baby has dropped alot!! thanks

lins1982 Thu 26-Mar-09 11:40:33

hi can anyone help i am 31 weeks pregnant and have been gettin period pains all morning is this normal or should i phone my midwife

upagumtree Thu 26-Mar-09 12:18:17

Another midwife here, but just like ellasmum tend to stay clear of the advice threads. Holly, sounds like a UTI (urine infection)you should get that checked out and also lins it could be braxton hicks you're feling, but like I always say, "if in doubt get checked out"!

Good luck girls x

lins1982 Thu 26-Mar-09 12:31:39

thanks for that upagumtree they arnt regular so i think you might be right

carmenelectra Thu 26-Mar-09 12:46:15

I am a midwife toogrin

LPLD Sat 04-Apr-09 13:16:36

Wonder if anyone has advice???
My friend is pregnant and she calculated her due date to be the 27th March from her last period and conception date. She has had 2 scans and her midwife has told her that her due date is the 20th April which is over 3 weeks later than normal calculations.
Should we be worried about her and her baby as there is a possibility that they let her have a pregnancy of 45 weeks.
We keep saying she has her period and conception date wrong but she said that its impossible.
{shock} a very worried friend

xsophx Mon 27-Apr-09 16:55:19

im 29 weeks pregnant and have been told my baby isnt thriving. they are hoping i can go to 36 weeks. does this mean i could go in to early labour or will b induced? is it safe for a baby to be delivered at 36 weeks? help!!

louise1012 Mon 08-Jun-09 14:15:51

hi... i am filling out the antenatal booking history questionnaire and there is a section on previous pregnancies, is it compulsary to inform of a previous termination as i would rather keep this confidential information. thanks

beckieboo1989 Mon 17-Aug-09 17:37:39

hi i am 34 weeks pregnant and my funtal height is at 36 already and when ever i see the midwife's at my doctors they always ask what is the plan with my delivey and if i am going full term i have not had a doctor talk to me about this and i am very cncered as i have been told the baby will grow alot faster in the lat 5 weeks if it grow at the rate it is now i will be having a 11.5 lb baby as i am only 5ft and small built would like some advice please

MorgansMummy18 Sat 10-Jul-10 14:36:30

Hi im 5 days overdue and had a membrane sweep two days ago , when i was 1 cm dialated , this morning i lost ALL my mucus plug and it had brown bloody streaks in it (EW) How long will it be before i go into labour ??

Samie1992 Thu 19-Aug-10 16:12:47

Im just wonderin am i having a big baby i had a scan today and im 34 weeks and they told me my baby is already 6lb 5oz will i have a big baby ! ... And also i have been getting really bad pains in my lower belly like bad cramps/period pains i had braxton hicks last thursday is that what im having now ! .. Please let me know what you think !

chevchina Tue 24-Aug-10 13:02:56

Hi im andrea
I have had two miscarriages and I have had my first period which was normal after my second miscarriage but im on my second period now and im confused at to why it was a week late. Im not having period symptoms like i usually do no cramping, no headaches etc and its not that heavy,
please can some body shed some light my husband and i are still trying for another baby

thanks
Chevchina

kezza3180 Mon 30-Aug-10 19:16:58

i am 34 weeks pregnant and have piles which are really sore, i cannot walk or sit I have regular bowel movements and I am using a cream prescribed by doctor but it is not helping at all. also tried ice,and sitz bath. 1st time i have ever had them, cannot take pain much more. It has been one thing after another with this pregnancy which is my 1st and last. Just want my baby out now. Can anyone advise whether they have suffered same or what else I can do?

many thanks

slaney19 Tue 14-Dec-10 13:00:14

hi im 38 weeks pregnant and in the last couple of days my legs have started to really ache and im not sure if its baby moving but i get sharp pains now and then. Also im not sure if i have lost my plug :S

flowerfairy83 Tue 25-Jan-11 10:23:44

Hi, I did a digital pregnancy test on the 19th Jan which said I was 1-2 weeks pregnant. I did another one yesterday (24th Jan) which said I am now 2-3 weeks pregnant. If I have calculated correctly, this means that I conceived between the 5th and 10th of Jan. Am I right in thinking that I could therefore not have got pregnant from unprotected sex I had on the 28th december as it is a week away from conception date but that it would be from sex I had nearer the conception date?

kelc1992 Wed 23-Mar-11 14:13:24

i had a positive pregnancy test then day after i took another one and it came negative i dont no wht to think

s0fy Thu 21-Apr-11 23:25:39

hi im nearly 20 wks pregnant and i have noticed that my stomach is pulsating is this normal

Diamondsamdrubies Sat 14-May-11 14:33:50

Where have all the midwives gone?! :-) it's very funny here?

Diamondsamdrubies Sat 14-May-11 14:36:55

Will the real midwives please stand up! I'm only having a laugh! I came across this thread by accident- not preggo, don't need a midwife- but clearly other people do! But the midwives seem to have resigned. So, all the people who need answers: ring your gp/ outvof hours gp/ NHS direct. They'll not let you down I promise! There's no such thing as free advice- honestly! :-)

Safety1 Sat 18-Jun-11 23:01:29

Message deleted

chevchina Mon 08-Aug-11 11:33:21

I had the same i took a test and it was positive then took another one and it was negative now its positive again can any one advise me please im confused.xxx

griphook Mon 08-Aug-11 22:30:52

is your period late, could be that your wee is more concentrated st different times of tests. Leave it a couple of days and then test again

chevchina Tue 16-Aug-11 13:11:19

Hi there again ..i tested again and i recently went t see the midwife and it seems i have lost baby number 3 ... but me and dh are going t be trying again.. xxx

Shaynee Mon 21-Nov-11 12:10:05

hey i was just wondering if i could get a bit of advice. my last period was 18th sept and i havent come on this month yet but im scared to do a test incase im not pregnant and my periods really late, iv had no signs of coming on and iv been feeling sick alot lately and experiencing cramping pains. my boyfriends currently in prison (please dont judge). does anyone think i could be pregnant? x

Shaynee Mon 21-Nov-11 12:13:56

sorry last period was 18 oct...got months mixed up x

tinkerbell9169 Sat 19-May-12 12:40:15

hi i work in a hotel where we cater for mostly old people , my job is very stressful sometimes at cause me to get very light-headed , collapse , get migraines which cause me to be ill and need bed rest . i was just wondering if i asked my employer to drop my hours to 25hrs a week would he fire he.. i cant handle long hours no more before i became pregnant i could do silly hours but now can just about manage 5hrs a day. i am nearly 22weeks pregnant and just looking for advise???

PrincessSandy Fri 18-Jan-13 02:37:22

whats a non pregnant women & pregnant womens uterus size?
mines: 8.6 cm x 3.7 cm x 5.6 cm
I believe im pregnant but doctors are NO help. Low hcg.
AN YES there are women pregnant with low hcg levels. havent had a blood or urine pregnancy test possitive YET.. id only be 8 weeks pregnant right now. Need REAL medical help to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now