Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Charters Anonymous Graduates Volume 2! – No more temping!

(937 Posts)
Iwish Tue 24-May-11 21:15:28

A nice cosy place to accommodate our growing bumps and little wrigglers.

Happy Christmas you lot! Hope the not-so-babies-anymore have a fab day!

And congrats newyears wow you are nearly there again!!

xxx

Iwish Wed 08-Aug-12 07:58:00

Wow congrats newyears!! Bet you are over the moon. And only 2 cycles too grin
Cheeky sods at the insurance calling you unemployed!!

We are still BFing morning and before bed and at 3:00 when I'm not at work.

newyearsday Tue 07-Aug-12 19:11:07

Hello Iwish, we're great thanks, ds is nearly 15mths, a little boy now. He's such a joy. So much so, we're having another baby! Due in March 2013, all going well with the scan in 2wks. I haven't gone back to work yet, officially a stay-at-home mum (or full-time carer as I told my car insurance co who called me 'unemployed'!). I was on the ttc boards for a few months spreading the positive word about charting, but wasn't there long this time! (only two cycles after we finishing bfing!). Hope everyone is doing well? xx

Iwish Tue 24-Jul-12 20:33:04

Just wanted to say hi to everyone.

There must have been birthdays by now so happy birthdays to all! Hope all mummies are well, so long since we all spoke after our daily chats of ttc.

Joshua is 10 months now and is into everything. He's crawling and cruising and just starting to stand unaided for a few seconds. He is absolutely gorgeous and I love him so very much.
I'm back at work now but only 3 days a week. I miss him do much when I'm working and wish every second to get home to him.

How are you all?

Xxxxxxxx

MrsP81 Thu 19-Apr-12 12:25:41

Hey all!

I just popped on here to revisit the weaning tips that MrsA and Terrys gave us as Abigail was 6 months old yesterday. shock We are doing BLW and have so far tried some brocolli, sweet potato and toast. I can't help being worried about choking even though I know it's unlikely. I sit there trying to appear relaxed about it all! Still BF but probably going to throw in some formula soon. I think BF has taken its toll on me a bit, I have lost too much weight (although it could just be motherhood in general).

Sleep is very variable here, some good nights, some shocking. Yaaaaaaaaaaawn. I do need to tackle daytime naps in the cot at some point though, still just letting her sleep on me/in sling/pushchair for ease at the moment.

Hope you're all well.

aaw it's wonderful when they can sit, so cute. Also, they entertain themselves a lot better too when they can sit up and hold a toy wink

I know just what you mean about being a bit upset with starting weaning. I was all "oh but but, I grew her completely from a tiny dot until now, and now she'll not be totally dependent on me... waaaah!" <pulls self together firmly> Now I'd be delighted if she'd blardy eat the food I give her!

Sorry the sleep got worse, that sucks. Here's hoping for tonight for us all!

Iwish Sun 01-Apr-12 19:26:14

Hey split!! Joshua's sleep he's got worse. He's constantly waking and crying for me. Sometimes he won't settle till he's in my bed sad. But on Friday night he had his last feed at 7pm and didn't feed again till 6am!!! He woke up at 11:30 crying/whinging for a hour for no reason tho.

Yey clever Freya sitting herself up like that!! Joshua is just learning to sit unaided. He first did it on Monday and I was so proud. Then on rues day he started rolling back to front smile

Started weaning Joshua 1 day before he was 6 months. We are just starting week 3 of weaning. He's eating quite a lot and still having quite a lot of milk. I don't mind tho because I like BFing him and felt a bit upset at giving him proper food. Sad I know. We have gone down the purée route because blw freaked me out a little. Was scared he'd choke.

How is everyone else?

Evening all, it's been a while!

Freya is now over 7 months old and today has learnt how to sit herself up from lying down all by herself without us hlping her into sitting position smile So proud!

iwish I hope Joshua's sleep has got back to normal. I am very envy of the 8 hour blocks. Freya's never sorted herself back out after the 4 month sleep regression. She's been feeding every couple of hours every night since then. Between us we've had cold/bug after bug too so I think there's a lot of comfort feeding going on as well. I'm not overly worried about it really, just going with the flow, and figuring that she'll grow out of it at some stage. In the mean time, cosleeping and loving the cuddles. I'm not sure I could sleep without her either now blush

MrsA how is your case with the hospital and the IM going/gone?

Weaning is going, ahem, slowly! She's just not very interested. Cucumber, oatcakes and pineapple go down a storm, most else is meh, lob on floor, or total disgust. She's still chubbing up lots though so nothing to worry about, I'm sure she'll take to it in her own good time.

And she's pretty much crawling!! I would say she more hauls than crawls, but it's just because she's not really worked out what to do with the left arm entirely.

Hope you are all well. Loving some of the fb pics I've spotted in recent months.

jaggy how's things? I've lost the plot, how far along are you?

Iwish Sun 18-Mar-12 13:33:01

Happy mummies day ladies xx thanks

Iwish Sun 11-Mar-12 20:17:36

Hi all!!

Hope you are all well?! Just wanted to check in. Joshua is 6 months old next weekend, eek where did that go!! So operation milk will start next week. We are still BFing even after all our troubles at the beginning. Although I do keep thinking of changing to bottles when we start weaning. But then I just think of him having his booby and change my mind! I wish someone would make my mind up for me.
Sleeping is none existent here. He was doing well at sleeping 8 hour blocks but now he's just waking up all the time, either wanting booby or mummy cuddles. He's been in my bed for the 2nd half of the night for 3 nights now. SHATTERED! I've had between 2 and 5 hours sleep a night.
Xxx

newyearsday Sun 19-Feb-12 20:39:52

Hi MrsA, good luck with it all, I can't believe what you've been through. Take your time and see how you feel in a few months, when the dust has settled and you can look back and see how it's affected you and your family. I kept writing things down to help gather my thoughts and it was about 4mths after DS's birth that I made a complaint to the hospital about how the registrar had treated me. It helped me. You've done everything you possibly could do so don't be too hard on yourself about birth and bfing, I think you're doing an AMAZING job, and your DS is obviously thriving. (I'm v envy at the 7-7, mine took 7mths to sleep through!) All the best x

Hello all (and hello NYD - ukvbac is a great group. One of the lovely ladies there has privately emailed me and is helping me with my case. Turns out that the hospital forgot to get my permission for the section, so i may also have a case against them. not sure i'll persue but nice to know I have multiple avenues).

I am enjoying DS immensely now. He is 10 weeks tomorrow (time going far too fast) and is 12.5lbs. He gives us great gummy smiles and DD adores him. There is a pic of me wearing him in a sling about a week ago, along with DD, on my MN profile.

Bf didn't work out for me whjich makes me terribly sad but I am coming to terms with the fact that whilst I adore being pg, birth and feeding are just not things I am skilled at but DP and I do make beautiful babies smile
Having had numerous consultants and bf supporters come to the house, the upshot is, DS is just not/never was interested in my boobs. He could not suss out what to do and we couldn't force him without hijm getting distressed. he is a milk monster and taking big bottles.
I am still expressing milk for him, so can say that for 2 months he's had some of my milk every day - although it is less and less now, as I sort of expected. DD only got colostrum, so it's better than nowt. I still get some lovely bf poos though in his nappy.

We are still using washable nappies too and i love them and am now obssessed!

On the plus side, he has been sleeping 7-7 for the past 2 weeks now. Long may it continue!
Like Terrys I need routine but with DD and DS they both seem to just get a routine that suits me/DP and them. DS is still fed on demand and even now I have no idea when he will feed but he does get enough in during the day.

With blw, we did spoon in some stuff for DD, like porridge/yoghurt. My theory was that if I offered the spoon and she opened her mouth/grabbed the spoon herself and shoved it in, then it was her choice grin
We didn't start her on the porridge until she was about 7 months though.

Going to try out the parent and baby cinema shows at the Trafford centre too. Twas good with DD.

Sadly, I'm back to work mid-Sept Seems ages away but I know it'll wizz round. sad

newyearsday Mon 13-Feb-12 10:53:35

Hello ladies, how are you all?

It's been ages since I last visited but good to catch up on your news. Seth is 9mths old, he's amazing, I'm enjoying him so much I've decided to put work on hold for a few years (one year has almost gone already!). I'm still BFing (with a bottle of ff thrown in most days). After a tough start to BFing I ditched the nipple shields when he was 4mths, and it's got easier and easier since then. I have loads of sympathy for anyone struggling, I was in such a state in the first 3wks (I don't think the post-emcs codiene helped my state of mind!).

MrsA I read your birth story and realised you're the same lady who posted on the vbac yahoo group, which I follow. I hope the IM's breach of contract can be sorted out by your solicitor so you and your DH can concentrate all your energy on your lovely new baby Matthew. Huge congratulations!

Lady congratulations on your engagement and have fun with the wedding plans.

Split we're also going with what feels right. Seth responds really well to routine so bed is always 7pm, and he's slept through from 7mths with hardly any input from us. We did BLW to start with and really enjoyed the experience. He's a chunky boy and loves his food so we do now feed him some lumpy mush with the finger foods (he sits there with his mouth wide open, banging the high chair for more!) but we never force anything on him. We're having to start some discipline because he keeps nipping me with his bottom teeth, I'm practising "no!". All babies are different and it's about finding what works for yours.

Congratulations to all the new mummies! And good luck to the mums-to-be.

xx

TerrysNo2 Sun 12-Feb-12 19:54:23

Hi all

Hope you are well. My gorgeous DD is 14 weeks today and how time has flown. She is a very good baby and things have been very easy with her but having 2 is hard work!

spilt re routine, I think it depends on you, what I take out of your comment is that you are happy with the way things are - if thats the case, why care what anyone else thinks. Yes at some point you might want to change things but once you decide that if you pick a plan and stick to it consistently then you can change her behavioural patterns. Let me know if you ever need routine advice - I am a GF worshipper and I need routine in my life so both mine have been trained! grin

BLW we did with DS and I intend to do with DD too. Top foods are:
- steamed veg batons - carrots, broccoli, squash, asparagus
- breads shaped like soldiers - pitta, toast, potato cakes, breadsticks, naan bread
- rice cakes
- batons of cheese - cheddar has a good consistency for this
- fruits - strawberries, steamed apple slices, banana (although
not too much banana and avocado as apparently these are very filling foods and can make baby think they are full and cut down on milk)
- rice cakes spread with anything mushy - cream cheese, avocado
- strips of meat - DS had no teeth until 11mo but he was still able to chomp on a piece of meat without them!
- apparently you can make porridge and set it in a square container in the fridge and then cut it up into slices which they can hold
- bitesize cereals like weetabix and oatibix dipped in a little milk are easy to hold

HTH!

<waves> to everyone else - hope everything is well!

Iwish Wed 01-Feb-12 12:18:34

Hey ladies!

Long time no speak. Hope you are all ok?

jaggy wow I can't believe you are 28 weeks already! The hiccups are funny aren't they. Joshua used to get them twice a day.

mrsp I have those days too. They are mostly when Joshua has been up half the night and I'm tired.

Joshua is 19w3d now. He is a nightmare most of the time but love him to bits. He is a very cry'y baby and whinges most of the day. He cries when he's hungry, tired, bored, wants a cuddle. Cries when I put him down, cries if he hears a noise he doesn't like etc. he was doing well at sleeping. Bed at 8:30 feed at 5:00 then up at 8:30am. Now he goes to bed at 7:30, feed at 10:30 and 4:00 and up at 8:00ish but he wakes up crying for attention sometimes 3 times a night.

He does have a gorgeous little smile and giggle tho which melts my heart.

We are still BF which I am so proud of. Not introduced any food yet and would like to wait till 6 months (although he did lick my toast this morning).

Waves to everyone. Hope all mummy's babies and bumps are doing well.

jaggythistle Tue 31-Jan-12 21:06:26

Hi all, just a quick check in.

28 wk midwife appointment tomorrow for me.

Am feeling very pregnant this week due to a very wriggly person wedged firmly under my ribs and having hiccups. smile

MrsP81 Tue 31-Jan-12 16:13:37

Hello everyone, I've not been on here for a while!

Abigail is 15 weeks old today, where did that time go?! I loved reading your post about lack of routine spilt as we are pretty much the same. She eats when she's hungry and sleeps when she's tired and I also worry that I am doing something wrong so it's very reassuring to see others are the same.

Thank you for all that info on blw MrsA, really useful. I'm looking forward to getting to that stage but at the same time I don't want to wish my life away!

Things are mostly good here and loving being a mummy. Some days I feel really low though, do you think this is normal? I think sometimes this completely different life I am leading is still a bit of a shock!

Hope everyone is getting on ok.

Hello lovely ladies, hope you're all doing well.

We have another batch of colds chez spilt. I'm not used to catching every bug that goes round, I'm hardly ever ill, but it just goes to show what tiredness does to your immune system. Poor Freya is utterly stuffed up again, snot everywhere and worn out. She's been screaming through the night which is totally out of character, she never cries in the night, just boob hunts drowsily and feeds back to sleep. Slurped the calpol off the spoon though!! mmm strawberry!

No one wants to buy our house. Or even blardy look at it sadangry <<shrugs>> Oh well, maybe I shall just go ahead and plant my broad beans and courgettes etc. Would be pissed off to hold off in case we move and then still be here in September having a sadly empty veg plot.

Thanks MrsA I feel much better after reading your post. I guess it's just the nagging insecurity I get when I feel like I'm the odd one out and I worry that I'm ballsing everything up grin
Am practicing smile, nod and ignore.

Thanks also for all the BLW pointers, I've read the book by Gill Rapley and picked up on the theory that finger foods first minimises choking risk. The meal suggestions and piece sizes is very helpful. I'm quite looking forward to weaning, I think it'll be exciting, but also sad as it's the end of her total dependence on me. I guess that's just normal though - it's always going to be sad when one phases ends and exciting when another starts.

I'm sure I'll be back with more questions in a few weeks!

BLW - just what we did, may not work for everyone:

Provided they can sit up unaided and hold their head well and put food to their lips, they are ready. If it is before 24 weeks, stick to fruit and veg only. Once you've passed 24 weeks - except for honey and some other minor things (can't remember now) they can eat anything.
When you first start, think BIG. The biggest risk of choking is on things that are pea shaped, like peas (of course), blueberries, small hard chunks of carrot etc - I'd leave these for another few months.

DD started by holding half a banana in her hand then she tried a massive chunk of watermelon (no pips). They will take it into their mouths and learn to chew and swallow (remember, the teeth are all there, just under the gum). At first it seems scary but they will gum the food at the front of the mouth and gradually learn to chew it to the back of the mouth. There is a school of thought that says spoon feeding purees in carries it's own risk of choking as the puree is pushed to the back of the mouth before they know what to do with it.

Early days, also think easy to hold - steamed carrots, green beans, strips of meat, tender-stem broccoli, most soft fruits, large chunks of roast potato. Be prepared for LOTS of mess. Most food will end up unswallowed on the floor but we loved this stage and took DD out to eat alot. She would sit happily sucking on roast beef and veg and we cleaned up as much of the mess as we could and left larger tips.
Fairly soon, just feed what you eat, provided it can be picked up (and that includes mashed potato!). Think healthy, fresh and no salt/sugar.

Good foods that worked for us included toast fingers spread with mashed avocado, raw salmon strips at Yo Sushi (she loves this still now), roasted veg, sweet potato mash, pitta bread dipped into cream cheese, tenderstem brocoli steamed and covered with home-made cheese sauce (you will need to make a roux from scratch as packet is too salty). DP still makes huge batches of cheese sauce and we freeze DD-sized portions. Watching her munch on a long piece of brocoli dripping with home made cheese sauce is excellent!

Don't forget, wholemeal bread can expand and fill the tummy too much, so white bread is actually best for babies.

Yoghurts - I have a thnk about yoghurts - it saddens me that most are filled with sugar. Plum and rachel's organic are sweetened with fruit and a baby under one does not need any added sugar.
Plum especially is a great range. They use quinoa in much of their range, all organic and their baby porridges are excellent - using oats, spelt and quinoa. ready Brek is also great - just oats and wheat.
Don't stress if you spoon feed some things in btw and be prepared that they all become fussy at some point.
Just let your DD choose what she eats - she will not starve herself and some days she will eat nothing, some days she will eat lots. Offer a feed after every meal (bf or ff so early days can be hard and time-consuming but they soon get the hang of things)

Think that's all for now but when you start, give me a shout for more tips.

Spilt DS is just the same as DD - feeds to sleep around 7pm, sleeps soundly for 30-45mins and then wakes and is unsettled/cries till dream feed at 11 then sleeps till 6am. Means evenings are hard (DP has him tonight) but not as hard as DD as she was not a hungry baby, so would not be settled by milk whereas as DS will take more milk so is marginally easier to settle. But so far he is sleeping through (went midnight till 8.30am the other day), so i am not complaining! DP away next week though - am dreading it as he feeds around the same time DD has her tea, bath and bedtime routine!

So, firstly, routines and the like:

DD was ff but apart from that, I treated her like a bf baby, fed on demand, let her sleep whenever she wanted and did not wean till 6 months. All my baby cafe friends were feeding baby rice from 4 months. DD found her own routine over time and by 12 weeks was sleeping 7-7 (but she was not a hungry baby). We didn't co-sleep but we didn't do any form of controlled crying (I couldn't) and personally think it's not appropriate until a baby is at least 7 or 8 months old.
Personally, I will try not to wean DS till he is 6 months but I also know that all babies are different and a week or two here or there will not make huge differences and he is a very hungry baby.
At this age you cannot 'ruin' a baby - they need love and affection. IMO once you are heading towards 2 or 3, then perhaps look at routines especially if school is looming (and maybe make sure you and DH have a solid relationship and he is still happy to be out of the bed, but given what you went through, I bet he's just happy to go with what you need to do).

If you get hassle, smile and say 'oh that's interesting, I'll have a chat to DH about that' and then do your own thing.
Everyone is different and those parents who feed baby rice at 4 months are not wrong either, just doing what works for them.

hehe I remember 5 weeks. Am amazed you've made it to the pc! Or are you hiding in the loo with a phone? grin

Thanks jaggy, glad it grew you a good sleeper, here's hoping!
xx

spilt I will return later (5 week old so no routine here) and give lots of thoughts etc but no - you are doing nothing wrong. Have faith.

jaggythistle Wed 11-Jan-12 16:58:34

oh and i fed to sleep till he wouldn't do it any more. smile

jaggythistle Wed 11-Jan-12 16:57:47

Well I did pretty much the same with DS, bar the co-sleeping and he's fine at 27 months I think! grin

I got hassle for not weaning till about 6 months and bfing past age 1 (actually he stopped at about age 2 when I got pg). He can go to sleep all by himself and (touch wood) sleeps great unless poorly. Who knows what DC2 will be like but I think the rod for back is not guaranteed smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now