Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Charters Anonymous Graduates Volume 2! – No more temping!

(937 Posts)
Iwish Tue 24-May-11 21:15:28

A nice cosy place to accommodate our growing bumps and little wrigglers.

Thanks for the new fred iwish smile

Lovely to hear about your little chap wriggling around. For ages mine seemed to tease DH and was guaranteed to go stock still if he put his hand there to feel. Now she'll kick him in the face grin I find the doppler is quite good for getting her to perk up as well, I reckon the sound of her own heartbeat played loudly next to the bump must wake her up!

Am I right in thinking that the OS is the other side of the cervix (i.e. the bit in the uterus, not in the vagina)? My MW says that placentas tend to rise from about 28 weeks, because from there onwards the bottom half of the uterus grows/stretches which means the placenta gets "lifted" upwards.

I've got my scan tomorrow with the fetal medicine chap. Quite excited about seeing the little lady again. If I get the chance I will see if he has any opinion on the place/manner of birth. He's seemed a lot more positive about the pregnancy/health of baby than the obstetric consultant. The consultant yesterday was saying something about thyroid issues can result in antibodies crossing the placenta and the baby needing some kind of check. Completely hazy on details though, I wish I'd been taping the conversation so I could look up the info now!

We've been mulling this pram malarky a bit more tonight. I think what we want doesn't exist confused
-I want a reversible seat, I particularly want to be able to have rear facing for the newborn/baby stage when they need to be horizontal.
-We want a good size shopping tray which I think rules out most of the three wheelers.
-We want it to fold quite small so that when we go away it doesn't take up all the boot!
-We want lightweight (quite a lot of hills round here)
It seems from what I've looked at that most of the travel systems have to be used as a pram with carrycot at first, because the pushchair bit is only ok from 6 months because it doesn't go flat. I'd like to be able to use either option from birth so we didn't have to cram the carrycot into the boot as well as the stroller frame, everytime we go out in the car.

Gah! Any of you experienced mums know the answer?

Oh and ideally under £300! grin

Iwish Tue 24-May-11 21:54:35

Split I can't wait till he gets strong enough to give DP a good old kick in the face lol!!

Yeh I think the OS just as you said. My words were 'its blocking the exit' grin. I really do hope it moves up as I really do want to option of a normal birth.

My consultants hasn't said anything to me about antibodies but I suppose he may discuss more nearer the time. He did say that all babies have their thyroid checked tho.

And don't get me started on prams! They are do expensive and a complete minefield!! I've seen one on tescos website. It's a 'jane' pram, £480 ish. I liked this one but I can't find anywhere that stocks it so I can actually have a look!

Iwish Tue 24-May-11 21:58:34

This is the Jane one here

Kiddicare are supposed to be very good. They have a whopping bit shop/show room in Peterborough (no use to me at all!) but they also have a 365 day returns policy if you order online, which means you could buy the pram, have a look at home and then change your mind, and you've got ages to do so.

LadyGoneGaga Tue 24-May-11 22:04:22

Have you looked at the Mamas and Papas Sola here? I really like them, was looking at them as a cheaper alternmative to the iCandy Peach. But I have a travel system from last time so don't think I can really justify a new one sadly especially as we are moving house.

I like it in truffle.

Thanks Lady I've just been having a look - very gorgeous and also fits all my wishlist. There's a store about 20 mins away so we'll go and have a look. Excited now!

bookmarking

Just back from my 28 week scan (at 27 and a half weeks) and all looking great grin!

She's measuring about 2lb8 now which seems pretty big to me. HC 266.7mm, AC 235.3mm and FL 51.4mm.

And I talked to the fetal medicine consultant who sees no reason at this stage why I shouldn't plan to use the birth unit and hope to use a pool smile and he wrote that on the scan report.

I feel a lot happier about that. One last scan now at 36 weeks for growth/presentation/reassurance. She's still breech for now (and definitely a girl, no willy has emerged in the last 8 weeks grin)

Hope you're all well.

Hopefully going pram looking tomorrow evening.

nickstermum Wed 25-May-11 13:53:05

Fantastic news spilt grin
2lb8 wow... so what size would i be then at nearly 30 weeks (on sunday) <wonders>

Fab news all is well smile

thanks for doing the new thread Iwish smile

Great that all was well at the scan spilt and that's fab that you should be able to go to the birthing unit. I've got my consultant midwife appt on Friday and am going to ask if I will be able to go to the birthing unit too, although technically I'm high risk.

Don't know what to advise really, re. the pram. It's so difficult to decide. We found that each one has pros but also cons. So it's a case of ruling out as many cons as you can and just taking a bit of a leap of faith. Unfortunately I don't think you can ever get anything which ticks all the boxes grin Like Lady I can't really justify getting a new one as we already have the one DD had, so I'm not really doing any research into what's on the market these days.

Can I just do a little WHOOP as I'm 24 weeks today grin That's me in the viability zone! Hooray! <stay in there for now though please!>

Hope everyone is doing well

nix have a look here. At 30 weeks yours should be nearly 3lbs. Mine is measuring about 1-1.5 weeks ahead which I'm really pleased about. I have in the back of my mind that she could yet appear pretty early and if she does, the bigger she is the better.

Congratulations on 24 weeks GetDown, it's a lovely feeling isn't it.

I think you're probably right, nothing pram wise will be quite perfect, but we don't want to balls up the decision and spend £300 on something that annoys us every day.

Best of luck with your appt for Friday, I hope you get the outcome you want. I'm hoping that when I see my consultant again at 36 weeks he'll be amenable to letting me go to the birth unit, I'd rather not have cats bum face and "against medical advice" scrawled on my notes. But if the fetal chap today and my MW both think it's a reasonable and safe decision I hope I can do it. I'll have to ask my MW what happens if consultant digs his heels in. Can the birth unit refuse to accept me when I turn up and send me downstairs??! I'd rather know the score beforehand!

LadyGoneGaga Thu 26-May-11 14:58:56

Crikey - mine should be just over 3.5 pounds! That's nearly a proper baby.

Great news on the scan, Spilt and the decision to let you use the birth unit. Will make things much easier in your mind.

Fantatsic news on hitting viability, Getdown. It's just growing from here on in.

Still really busy, Nix?

Hope everyone else well.

Slightly stressed as our buyer has decided she doesn't want to move until early July. Which is going to be cutting it a bit too fine for my liking. Have asked the solicitor to push back but could be giving birth in the moving van at this rate!

Lady just wanted to say thank you so much for the pointer towards the M&P Sola. We went to see it tonight, loved it and have bought one (in truffle!) plus matching carseat which we'll pick up in 3-4 weeks grin

Btw if anyone is considering any M&P merchandise, they have 10% off everything until midnight on Monday, so we made a fair bit of a saving.

I'm all excited now. We also popped into IKEA to get a coffee table and I made my first take home baby purchase... a pck of bibs which I am now getting a bit soppy over blush

LadyGoneGaga Thu 26-May-11 21:57:02

Aw Spilt am very envy. But happy for you! Glad to be of help. A friend of mine has it and loves it so hopefully will serve you well.

I love it when mums help each other out - good one Lady! When I looked at that link to the Sola I did think "that ticks a lot of spilts boxes" grin Hope it serves you well!

Any news back on your suspect wee? Hopefully no news is good news.

Thanks Lady re. me reaching viability! Tis lovely to be at this stage. Am quite enjoying being pregnant at the moment. Having an obvious bump but not being too huge (yet). That's stressful re. your buyer. Hopefully she can be persuaded to move earlier than July - surely given your circumstances. Two of my NCT class I had with DD moved house quite close to due dates and they both went into labour a month early! (the babies were fine though).

Hope everyone else is doing ok? MrsA have you had the results from your nuchal scan yet?

newyearsday Thu 26-May-11 22:35:11

I have news ladies! Our beautiful son Seth Michael James was born on Friday 20th May 2011 at 1.42am by EMCS weighing 8lb 10oz.

The labour and birth sadly weren't the positive experience I'd hoped for: it seems I made a baby too big to come out! And in early labour he moved upwards in the pelvis so wasn't putting enough pressure on my cervix. In 32hrs I never progressed past 4cm sad I transferred into hospital after 24hrs labouring at home with the pool and gas and air. My waters were broken, I had an epidural (took 3 attempts!), about to start the hormone drip and his heart rate plummeted and we were rushed in for a EMCS.

A bit traumatic but he's here safe and healthy. I'll never forget the moment we heard his first cry, we were both crying too with relief and happiness. He is utterly gorgeous, we're head over heels in love with him and feeding is going really well. I received excellent breastfeeding support in the hospital.

Must dash, he's waking up for a feed.

Love to you all xx

Congratulations newyears! I was thinking about you yesterday and wondering if you'd had him yet. Lovely name and so glad he is safe and well. I'm sorry the birth was a lot harder than you'd hoped, how are you feeling about that? Hope the breastfeeding continues well smile

LadyGoneGaga Fri 27-May-11 08:41:07

Many congratulations, Newyearsday. Sorry the birth wasn't what you were hoping for but the main thing is he is safe and well like you say. And brilliant the feeding is going so well.

Wow Newyears congrats! That's fantastic! I was wondering how you were getting on.

Enjoy your gorgeous newborn. xxxx

MrsP81 Fri 27-May-11 13:25:13

Congratulations newyears!!! I absolutely LOVE that name. I got all emotional reading that. smile

Glad to see everyone progressing well, good news about your scan spilt and yay for 24 weeks getdown!

I am a bit envy as I haven't got to the stage of the 20 week scan yet. Oh well, just over a week to go. I can't wait!

Ooooh, I like the look of the Sola too. We haven't started looking at things like that yet, waiting until after the scan.

Hope your buyer changes her mind about when to move lady, having just recently moved house I know how stressful it can be!

I have non-infected wee smile Apparently nothing grew in the culture so it was probably just sample contamination. Phew! Also thyroid appears to be stable and my iron is at 12.1 which is very good I think, so all in all, a good set of results.

Not long for you to wait MrsP. Are you planning to find out what you're having or not? Any more wriggles?

Lady has your solicitor made any progress for you?

LadyGoneGaga Fri 27-May-11 17:47:18

Not that we've heard. May need to wait a while.

A nice set of results there, Spilt!

Wow, nearly halfway, MrsP

Thanks MrsP - you will find the weeks flying by after the 20 week scan I'm sure. Enjoy every second of the scan. I am a bit sad that all my scans are over now....

Good to hear your wee is bug-free spilt grin Really glad you don't have that to worry about.

I had my appt with the consultant mw this morning. It went really, really well. She was lovely and I was pleasantly surprised by how much her views were sympathetic with my own. I feared she might be slightly hmm about wanting to do the hypnobirthing, but on the contrary she said it was a fantastic idea and that in her experience the difference it makes to labouring women is massive. So phew to that one! Also she helped me understand a bit more about why they put my legs in stirrups last time and why my DD was whipped away from me immediately after birth. I always felt really aggrieved about these things before, but now I understand a bit more I feel a bit better about it. Just really hoping I can have a better birth this time round smile She is going to see me again at 36 weeks and help me write my birth plan, which I'm really pleased about.

Hope the house move is progressing lady. We saw the house of our dreams come on the market this week (well, as in realistic dreams, it wasn't a mansion or anything!!) But waaaaaay out of our price range, so that's the end of that. <sigh> How "normal" salaried people get a house like that round here I have no idea. I suspect the answer is that they just don't. Think the conclusion is that we will never be able to get a 4 bedroom house. Which is fine. But that does somewhat put a limit on any more babies! (not necessarily a bad thing!)

Hope everyone is doing well xx

Iwish Fri 27-May-11 20:07:02

Congratulations newyears!! Enjoy every minute with your lovely little man x

Split Glad you have non infected wee lol!! and fab that your iron and thyroid are ok too. I have my thyroid checked every 5 weeks and get a little scared every time im waiting for the consultant to say its ok.

Oooh MrsP will you find out the sex... Sorry Split i send like an echo lol!

Getdown have you thought about having a 4d scan? Im booking one tomorrow for 28 weeks ish. I didnt want to go such a long time without seeing my little boy so thought it would be a perfect idea. We are going to leeds tho which is about 40 miles away.

Waves to LadyG Nix and MrsA. Hope you are all ok.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now