To not want to make any plans for next week?(42 Posts)
I'm starting Ivf next week -likely Monday but could be as early as this Friday I'm not 100% until my period starts.
I haven't made any plans with friends etc for next week and have as few commitments as possible because I don't know how I'll be feeling and when I will have to go to the hospital - probably at least twice.
Mil has just rung and announced that she and Bil and Sil want to come over to see ds on a specific day next week. Bil and sil don't know about the treatment starting and I'd rather they didn't to be honest as they aren't very tactful at the best of times. I've just explained that I don't really want to make any definite plans as I don't quite know what'll be happening. To be honest (and I'm sure everyone will tell me to get a grip) I'm finding the whole thing so overwhelming and worrying that it's all I can focus on, I just can't think about anything else at the moment.
Mil is quite put out however, incidentally this is the first time she has decided to come over since ds started school in September - usually we go to her. Bil and sil hardly ever come over, again we always go to them, so Im not sure why it suddenly has to be NOW.
Mil was huffy and said "well I don't know what excuse I will tell sil, I might have to tell her you're starting the treatment."
Now I feel all guilty and like I've upset mil and it's set me off crying again which I know is stupid.
Aibu to not want to make any plans? Just for a week or two?
YANBU, doesn't sound like your MIL is very tactful either.
If she wants to be difficult then that's her problem, not yours.
You've said no so stick to it and just remind her - a simple 'sorry, we can't' should be enough for Bil and Sil.
Yanbu. And it's crappy timing on their part to suddenly want to visit now, but they don't know that. You are being perfectly reasonable trying to create the most comfortable environment for yourself and your family next week, but if sil etc Re particularly put out by this, might they cause stress that you don't need? Perhaps your dp could speak to them and smooth things out?
Good luck OP, be kind to yourself during this process
I said that if we couldn't go ahead for any reason (got delayed last cycle as had an ovarian cyst but they think it will be gone this cycle) then I'd let her know and they could come over. But mil wasn't very happy with this as she wanted to know when I'd know - um when I've got my period and have been to the hospital!
It wouldn't be so bad if it was just mil as she knows about us starting the treatment but I don't really want to be having to deal with sil and bil, they are quite full on. If I've been to the hospital that day or Im feeling a bit shit I just don't want it. I might be fine but I just don't know.
Message withdrawn at poster's request.
Message withdrawn at poster's request.
No mil has already put my back up over the whole thing - we can finance three cycles ourselves. PIL are quite well off and did say that if we needed more they would help us out. However I have declined this offer because mil then commented that if we got pregnant from one of the cycles they'd helped finance she'd "want her money's worth" and expect to have the baby one day a week and over night twice a month
So basically we will save like crazy during the first three cycles and if we decide to have any more then we will definitely be financing them ourselves!
Shes being unreasonable. Dont let it get to you. She should be making excuses and covering for you so you can relax as much as possible this week. Get your partner to deal with it and try to forget it . Good luck with it all
We haven't told anyone except our parents dog.
Do you mind me asking if the treatment was successful for you? I need morale!
YANBU at all.
MIL can't understand the emotional roller-coaster if she's never been through hard core ttc herself.
Stick to your plan, OP. Get DH onside for a quiet word with her on the phone perhaps. If he could simply say 'look mum, next week is going to be a bit full on for us and we'd like to put visitors on hold', be she can't really argue.
Would she genuinely blab about your personal stuff to BIL & SIL just because she wants to be awkward? If so that's awful. And i would actually be very cross. If it's true and she might do that, then i'd get DH to address that in the phone call as well.
Best best best of luck with the IVF
Oh OP she sounds full on too!! My friends recently had a baby through IVF, it took more that 3 cycles I'm afraid but everyone's different.
if we got pregnant from one of the cycles they'd helped finance she'd "want her money's worth"
Sod them all OP. Do what you need to do. YANBU.
YANBU. Tell her straight that this is important to you not to mention expensive and it's only 1 week you're asking for space for god's sake + you most definitely don't want her to share your business with them at the moment thank you very much. Don't let it get to you concentrate on yourself and positive thoughts. Good luck!
she'd ''want her money's worth" and expect to have the baby one day a week and over night twice a month
Continue to decline the offer OP.
Mil is not the best at empathising. She generally decides what she wants and everyone else has to fit in with her. Always been the same unfortunately. I rang dh at work and gave him a head's up in case she rings him to complain. Which is likely.
She has already blabbed to them that we are having problems, but they don't know when we are starting treatment. Not yet anyway. They might soon apparently.
YANBU but your MIL certainly is.
It's a very difficult time for you and I think you are being sensible by not planning anything next week as you won't know how you'll be feeling, emotionally or physically, especially as you are not close to SIL & BIL.
I think the "getting money's worth" thing from your MIL is really out of order, hopefully it won't come to that for you.
Will be thinking if you next week, it can be a long painful journey but try and think positive. Best wishes.
Oh my, you MIL sounds like a bit of a loon. I would absolutely decline the money.
With regards to OP, YANBU. She can just tell them it doesn't suit you. Why does she need to give an elaborate reason? Also it is not her place to tell anyone that you are starting treatment.
Could you get DH to call her for you?
She'd want her money's worth Bloody hell! I think her wanting to visit next week is the least of your worries.
I think your dh/p needs to have a word. He can tell MIL that the treatment may well make you feel under the weather and you will need to look after yourself to maximise your chances of it working. And you will be in touch when you feel up to visitors
and she stops being so unbloodyreasonable
Thank you for the well wishes.
I'm also hoping to book some acupuncture sessions so I just don't know what I'll be doing and when. I will have to be back to fetch ds at 3 from school or dh will but if dh is fetching then obviously bil and sil will be asking where I am.
I just don't want the added stress to be honest!
I'm hoping it won't take more than 3 cycles, I read that after 3 cycles your chances of success start to fall so I'm hoping we will manage it in three but I know there are no guarantees.
So this is your first round OP?
IF (and i'm sure it wont come to this) you have to go again, please please please don't tell her much about it at all. Just keep your ttc plans vague.
I cannot bare having my very personal issues judged and mulled over by people. Especially when it's so emotionally charged and i'm struggling with my own thoughts. And by 'people' that includes my parents and my ILs i'm afraid.
Your MIL sounds awful! The bit about getting her money's worth left me . Can your husband speak to her? She has no right to tell anyone else about your treatment.
Personally I generally enjoyed distractions when I was cycling but I understand that everyone is different. It is very difficult to plan anything when EC and ET are looming though. When EC falls depends on how quickly you react to the drugs, and there could be a window of about a week either way. And then ET could be anything from 2-6 days after this. So it wipes out a good chunk of time. I would have preferred to keep busy but planning to see friends was pretty much impossible around that time, so I was sort of forced into hibernation.
We have a ds conceived naturally so that is why we are having to finance these cycles.
I told my mom because I felt I needed some support but haven't told anyone else in my family and no friends. I don't want people asking me if I'm pregnant yet. It's just too hard.
YANBU your mil IS!
She sounds awful, put your foot down with her op, set a precedent before the baby arrives.
Her demands are insensitive, threatening to tell ppl of your private affairs is immature.
Do not let her make you feel guilty or upset in any way shape or form - you need to put you first
Agree with fluffyraggies, I am quite private and would hate people to know my business. If she is pulling these stunts and being unsupportive she doesn't deserve to know anything in the future.
As for the comment about 'owning' a day and a sleepover. Words fail me.
Join the discussion
Please login first.