to expect to be paid

(48 Posts)
missingoutonacoolusername Wed 03-Jul-13 15:08:38

I look after a friends DC before and after school a few days a week when she goes to work. I'm not registered or anything but it works out for both of us and I charge her £10 per hour. She has recently been signed off work sick so doesn't need me. She offered to pay me for a couple of weeks as it was short notice but not for the full time she is off. Am I being unreasonable to ask to be paid seeing as she is being paid?

VacantExpression Wed 03-Jul-13 15:10:15

A registered childminder would be cheaper for her surely?? I think YABVU!

nemno Wed 03-Jul-13 15:11:07

As it is such an informal arrangement I think a couple of weeks is fine, generous even.

Cherriesarelovely Wed 03-Jul-13 15:11:44

If it's a casual arrangement then I don't think you ought to be paid, sorry, you're not doing the job are you? I suppose if you then took on something else that meant you couldn't do it for her when she was well then that would be unfortunate for her but not your responsibility at all.

Cherriesarelovely Wed 03-Jul-13 15:12:12

Also, £10 is ALOT! Isn't it?

3littlefrogs Wed 03-Jul-13 15:12:15

Isn't what you are doing illegal?

Flossbert Wed 03-Jul-13 15:12:16

YABU. What nemno said.

wineandroses Wed 03-Jul-13 15:12:56

Yabu. This is an informal arrangement. Why should she pay you if you aren't having her children? The fact that she is being paid whilst on sick leave is irrelevant and none of your business.

Caitycat Wed 03-Jul-13 15:13:17


PatriciaHolm Wed 03-Jul-13 15:13:18

If you want the protection of employment, get registered and do it properly. You are presumably both aware you should be registered to take payment?

QueenofallIsee Wed 03-Jul-13 15:14:05

She would not have to pay a CM as much as she pays you and she would get government credits for a registered provider - so I think you would be VV cheeky to expect the benefit of an employment contract without paying tax!

Caitycat Wed 03-Jul-13 15:15:13

Sorry, sure you were fascinated by dd's contribution

FoofFighter Wed 03-Jul-13 15:17:04

You could well be operating illegally and breaking the law by doing what you are doing ( need more details to be sure of that) so I'd cut your losees and accept her generous offer. and get registered

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Wed 03-Jul-13 15:23:06

As others have said: you are not employed/running a business so have no protection.

Are you declaring this income to HMRC?

Crinkle77 Wed 03-Jul-13 15:26:06

YABU. You have an informal arrangement and you are not registered and considering you are friends you are charging rather a lot.

LIZS Wed 03-Jul-13 15:28:22

She sounds overgenerous to me .

CloudsAndTrees Wed 03-Jul-13 15:29:14


Are you paying tax on what you earn? Or are you doing it cash in hand with no books in sight, seeing as you're unqualified and unregistered?

How can you possibly expect employee rights and perks if you aren't doing things properly?

rockybalboa Wed 03-Jul-13 15:30:44

YABU. Casual arrangement, no formal registration, quite a high hourly rate. Sounds like you've had it lucky! How exactly would you go about demanding payment anyway? You might want to think about things going forward so the issue doesn't crop up again.

Cluffyflump Wed 03-Jul-13 15:30:51

I'm with Caitycats Dd.
YABU for not being registered.

megsmouse Wed 03-Jul-13 15:31:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Wed 03-Jul-13 15:31:26

YABU. You either need to register as a childminder and do this properly or you need to stop looking after her children.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ssd Wed 03-Jul-13 15:34:33

what you are doing is illegal

childminders are registered for a reason, not because they like all the hassle of it

If you lived near me you'd be reported

EarlyInTheMorning Wed 03-Jul-13 15:55:19

A friend?
£10 an hour?
And you want her to pay you even though she's not using you?
This is a reverse AIBU, right?

angelos02 Wed 03-Jul-13 15:59:17

Do you declare your earnings to the taxman?

MrsBungle Wed 03-Jul-13 16:02:13

£10 an hour abs you're not even a registered childminder?! Wow. Surely that's grossly overcharging? Cm's round my way are about £4 per hour.

Yabu. You don't have a contract with her, just an adhoc arrangement.

samandi Wed 03-Jul-13 16:03:23

Hmm well I'm a bit confused as to the legality of babysitting/childminding, but from what I can gather it's not illegal to babysit for two hours a day or less in the parents' home. Perhaps things have changed. But it would be helpful if all those posters stating the OP is childminding illegally (presumably for any length of time, seeing as she hasn't said) would quote their sources, because I sure can't find any.

samandi Wed 03-Jul-13 16:05:56

The above wasn't in relation to tax issues, declaring income etc. btw - obviously the income should be declared. And I do think the OP is being unreasonable to expect payment when she isn't providing the service. But on the other hand, £10 doesn't sound a huge amount and £4 as suggested above would be lower than minimum wage.

Squitten Wed 03-Jul-13 16:07:19


samandi Wed 03-Jul-13 16:08:02

Ah - misread. Where are the children being looked after, and does that make a difference?

Sorry for multiple posts! Genuinely interested.

trackies Wed 03-Jul-13 16:09:10

wow ! YABVU. 1) it's illegal. 2) therefore it's an informal arrangement and you're lucky you get paid £10 at all, seeing that you are unregistered and have no contract and therefore no notice period.

cogitosum Wed 03-Jul-13 16:12:47

If the child is over 7 and they are in England she doesn't have to be registered. Can't remember ages for scotland and Wales. It's a moot point though as i doubt tax and NI is being paid.

Yabu to expect to be paid if it's informal and £10 an hour seems a lot.

GiveMumABreak Wed 03-Jul-13 16:13:33

YABVU! hmm

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 03-Jul-13 16:13:36

if you are looking after in your home then what you are doing is illegal as you are acting as a cm and you freely admit you are not registered

if you posted this on the cm section they would all flip and quite rightly so

if a casual arrangement then assume will be paid in cash and prob not a contract so basically there is nothing you can do

imho i think your friend is being fair to pay you for a few weeks

scarlettsmummy2 Wed 03-Jul-13 16:15:43

No, I don't think you should be paid.

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Wed 03-Jul-13 16:17:19

Yes. You are being unreasonable.

Are you declaring yourself as self employed? Declaring this income? Do you have a contract with her?

you can't have a casual arrangement when it suits you and expect the benefits of something formal and above board when it suits you.

It's one or the other.

TimeofChange Wed 03-Jul-13 16:20:19

Unless the OP has another income or is earning more than £148 pw there would be NO tax or NI to pay.

cogitosum Wed 03-Jul-13 16:22:47

Don't You still have to declare it even if no tax or NI is payable?

LIZS Wed 03-Jul-13 16:24:50

isn't the NI threshold lower than that ?

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Wed 03-Jul-13 16:28:49

Yes, you have to declare it and fill in forms even if you're under the limits.

and if you're self employed you still have to pay the ni unless you apply for low earnings exemption.

but if she's doing this in addition to other things, then it's more complicated.

I'm self employed.

a bit of cash for doing a mate a favour is exactly that. I don't think you can claim any sort of benefits such as getting paid when you're not actually working!

Gingersstuff Wed 03-Jul-13 16:30:04

You are joking right?? £10 an hour is 2.5 times what a registered childminder around these parts gets...unless of course she has 3 kids or more in which case it'd be reasonable. You also sound as if you're acting illegally in a) not being registered and b) not declaring yourself to HMRC even if your earnings are under the taxable threshold.
I think your friend is off her head paying you £10/hour in the first place (assuming less than 3 kids) and you are off your head expecting her to pay you for not looking after her kids while she is off sick!!

MammaTJ Wed 03-Jul-13 16:32:33

I am guessing this is a reverse AIBU. Your mate still wants paying and you are asking if you should still pay her.

I am going to answer the same as everyone else, informal arrangement, cash in had, does not bring the security and perks a proper contract does.

Jinsei Wed 03-Jul-13 16:34:11

We don't know if it's illegal from the info that the OP has given, and we don't know for sure that she isn't paying tax on what she earns, but £10 an hour seems incredibly steep!

OP, YABVU to expect payment if you don't have any formal agreement in place. shock

Bobyan Wed 03-Jul-13 16:38:51

1st post op?

tethersend Wed 03-Jul-13 16:41:10

You have no employment rights in these type of fictional arrangements.

GiddyStars Wed 03-Jul-13 16:49:27

YABU. It's illegal to charge for childcare if you are not a registered provider. And you are charging her over double the going rate anyway. She should drop you and look elsewhere.

ovenbun Wed 03-Jul-13 17:25:14

yabvu 'friend'

samandi Wed 03-Jul-13 19:34:42

£10 an hour is 2.5 times what a registered childminder around these parts gets

Is that per child?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now