to ask for some help PLEASE re tax credits, compliance, i am SO scared :(

(91 Posts)
taxcredshelp Sat 09-Mar-13 10:17:30

split up with ex jan 2012, he left me. but would not tell me where he was living and his mail etc kept coming to the house.

he has now admitted to living with someone just after xmas, and says he has changed his address for everything now. and his mail has stopped coming as much. the only thing he has carried on paying for is the Sky, as i tried to change it into just my name but

well this morning i have had a letter from tax credits compliance saying they have done a credit check which shows that TWAT exp is still living here. and they are asking for evidence such as bank statements, rent agreements, council tax bills, utility bills and "any other info to explain why i have claimed as a single person". i have most of what they are asking for, but what i am worried about is that the one thing we agreed on is that he would still continue paying my internet and phone line as virgin would not allow me to take it over in my own name (credit score failure) . so that is still in his name.

i am shitting it. i have about 2 weeks to provide that evidence or my tcs get stopped or they will charge me a penalty and the letter even talks about criminal prosecution sad

i am so, so scared. has anyone else ever had this? what happened? please help.

taxcredshelp Sat 09-Mar-13 10:18:30

sorry i meant virgin in my first paragraph blush

Flojobunny Sat 09-Mar-13 10:21:38

Is ex being compliant in telling tax credits he doesn't live there or is he dropping you in it?
If he's being compliant then there's nothing to worry about. If he's told them he does live with you, I would be worried.

RedHelenB Sat 09-Mar-13 10:21:48

Send what you have & it will get sorted. If he isn't living there then that is all they need to check.

fluckered Sat 09-Mar-13 10:22:53

what are you scared about? you havent been living together since Jan 2012 and assume have evidence to back this up with bills etc ... just be honest about the internet/phone line part. you have nothing to be worried about if everything is above board. have you claimed since you broke up or before?

MisselthwaiteManor Sat 09-Mar-13 10:23:48

Entirely depends on how co-operative your ex is but could he give you a bill or tenancy agreement or something at his new adress to prove he's living elsewhere?

I wouldnt worry, if everything apart from the one thing is in your name and you have a valid reason why then it looks like you'll be fine.

Mutt Sat 09-Mar-13 10:24:38

He's probably still using your address, i.e. saying he lives there, to get credit elsewhere.

As long as you have plenty of supporting evidence that shows bills are in your name only, they will be able to see that is the case.

Cancel the Sky.

thornrose Sat 09-Mar-13 10:25:05

If you're being honest then you really have nothing to worry about. Please don't panic, I'm sure they've seen this hundreds of times.

Seabright Sat 09-Mar-13 10:25:18

Send what you have with a letter explaining what happened, the time scales and when the post was changed to his new address. I'd also say about the Internet etc still being in his name and the reasons why.

Be upfront, tell them everything so they can see what has happened, when, and why. Would he agree to you giving them his address &/or phone number, some can confirm?

taxcredshelp Sat 09-Mar-13 10:42:53

thank you

am going to ring first thing monday


Mutt Sat 09-Mar-13 10:44:26

The helpline is open today as well if you don't want to wait until Monday.

Mutt Sat 09-Mar-13 10:45:35

And try not to worry so much - if you're telling the truth you will be able to prove it.

It's just their job to check, that's all.

thornrose Sat 09-Mar-13 10:55:08

I had a visit from 2 tax credits compliance officers a few years ago. I received a letter informing me they wanted to come to my home. It was described as some sort of random check. They did ask me if I recognised a couple of names but wouldn't say who they were or why confused
I had absolutely nothing to hide but I still found it really scary so I understand how you feel.

YellowAndGreenAndRedAndBlue Sat 09-Mar-13 10:59:29

Try not to worry. I think you can call today? Get it out f the way.

taxcredshelp Sat 09-Mar-13 11:06:35

i have called the main number today

they said they couldn't help me as the compliance team only work mon-fri so am going to spend the whole weekend worried sick

and also the lady did advise me that it will be very hard to get through to them as they are always really really busy, so to post the info they require out to them rather than ring (which will mean more stressful waiting) and if they don't get the info in time then they will stop my claim sad

i feel sick, i am a worrier at the best of times, i feel like i cant cope

cozietoesie Sat 09-Mar-13 11:06:39

Don't worry - these formal letters sound awful but the reality isn't so bad. Just tell them the truth and let them have copies of documentation they ask for. You'll be fine.

thornrose Sat 09-Mar-13 11:10:46

Come on, you can cope. Keep it in perspective, (I know that's easier said than done.)
Have you got all your documents ready and your cover letter? Copy everything you are sending and post it off today, recorded delivery. Or even better do the compliance team have a fax number?

cozietoesie Sat 09-Mar-13 11:14:07

Yep - send copies of the stuff you've got off today recorded delivery.

taxcredshelp Sat 09-Mar-13 11:59:05

thanks for your help so far thanks

and for some reason they only want bank statements to and from certain dates confused jan - april 2012 and then nov - jan - 2013.

and i cant find them all, in fact so far i have only found and i have no copies of bills at all (i know, i know i should keep them) so have had to ring the utility companies to get them to send copies. which will take a few days for them to arrive. and i can't ring to get a council tax copy bill until monday as they are closed.


Smartiepants79 Sat 09-Mar-13 12:03:10

Contact your bank ASAP. They should be able to give you copies of the statements you're missing.
Or maybe you can print them from Internet banking?

IneedAsockamnesty Sat 09-Mar-13 13:33:14

When they do a compliance investigation they tend to use dates after you confirmed the claim. You may find it reassuring to read this info.

It is perfectly ok for an ex to fund certain things for the benefit of any children without it being seen as if you are togather, provide the info they have requested and nothing else other than a cover letter confirming that he is in a new relationship. Don't give them any personal stuff relating to him they are not allowed to request it.

WellSlapMyThighAndCallMeNancy Sat 09-Mar-13 15:05:35

You probably have little or no copies of bills because its all done online. I never see a gas or electiric bill, rarely water, and I cant remember the last time I saw a sky bill, its all just paid automatically from my account.

WellSlapMyThighAndCallMeNancy Sat 09-Mar-13 15:07:26

Also OP is your exp paying rent elsewhere? If he can prove he is, you'll almost definitely be ok.

cozietoesie Sat 09-Mar-13 15:09:22

Send what you can right away - and explain that the rest will take a day or two and why. That gets your response logged fast even though it's not complete.

IneedAsockamnesty Sat 09-Mar-13 15:16:00

They are not interested in what you pay for utilities its who the bill is addressed to.

It also does not much matter who they are addressed to as long as you have a legit reasonable reason to have them in someone else's name.

IneedAsockamnesty Sat 09-Mar-13 15:17:53

It does not matter if HE can prove he's paying rent elsewhere as they are not allowed to request anything that the claimant has no legal right to ask for, its easier if he would willingly provide that evidence but it is not the bee all and end all.

WellSlapMyThighAndCallMeNancy Sat 09-Mar-13 16:21:32

hmm Thats not what my council told me.

LineRunner Sat 09-Mar-13 16:40:07

OP Please try not to worry. Just tell the truth.

taxcredshelp Sat 09-Mar-13 17:40:20

have managed to find some more bank statements, in fact i have found every one they are asking for bar one. plus my tenancy agreement, council tax statmenent, plus bill for tv licence payment schedule, all of which are in my sole name

so am going to post them all off on monday with a cover letter stating i live on my own (well, with dc's) and saying i will send everything else when it arrives, do you think i need to say anything else?

i suffer from anxiety at the best of times and this has really knocked me for six.

and wellslapmythigh what did your council tell you then?

thanks again for all the advice so far x

LineRunner Sat 09-Mar-13 17:44:00

Hi OP you are doing great.

I would send it recorded delivery as well, just to be on the safe side.

Shutupanddrive Sat 09-Mar-13 17:59:11

OP, you haven't done anything wrong and you can prove it so please try not to worry (easier said than done I know!)

cozietoesie Sat 09-Mar-13 18:03:02

Remember to post off copies and not the originals. You're doing great.


IneedAsockamnesty Sat 09-Mar-13 18:08:56

Do not post off copies. They will not accept copies, they have to be original documents

If you print off online statements then they may make you get them validated by a stamp in the bank.

And I'm quite interested to know what your council said as well as they can only request a claimant provides things that the claimant personally has a legal right to obtain they cannot try to make you obtain anything that data protection would prohibit you from getting.

cozietoesie Sat 09-Mar-13 18:13:24

Ah - I stand corrected, Sock. But what happens if they lose them? (Not unknown.)

IneedAsockamnesty Sat 09-Mar-13 18:23:11

Then they have to fund the costs incurred with replacing them. Ime they won't unless you send them recorded.

LineRunner Sat 09-Mar-13 18:25:55

So ... I think the best thing is to make photocopies and keep them, so you know exactly what you've sent them, and sent the originals by Recorded Delivery with a covering letter (with your National Insurance number on it).

Do you have a scanner at home or access to a copier?

ivykaty44 Sat 09-Mar-13 18:30:17

Make photocopies of all the documents that t you send to them

Send by post and pay extra so they have to sign to say they received the letter, that way it can't so easily go missing

Babyroobs Sat 09-Mar-13 20:00:16

Is his name still on the electoral roll at your address? If so you will need to get him to remove it. There are huge threads on this very same issue on Netmums website - might be useful to take a look and see how others have dealt with it .

cozietoesie Sat 09-Mar-13 20:16:20

I don't know how things work in your neck of the woods Babyroobs but we receive a form on an annual basis to update the electoral roll. You just take them off on the return so the OP's latest return shouldn't have included him. (Unless the OP is in NI of course where matters are tighter.)

IneedAsockamnesty Sat 09-Mar-13 20:37:14

Same as here

cozietoesie Sat 09-Mar-13 20:39:23

Sorry sock - that was a bit enigmatic. What is the same as what?

rosehill Sun 10-Mar-13 07:21:59

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I haven't had a tax credit payment since the end of December. I have an order to repay almost twelve months of tax credits plus a 2.5 k penalty payable in the next thirty days. I'm a single parent of four children.

All because exh opened a bank account using my address just after he left. Apparently this is evidence for them that he has been living here all along. I have sent everything in that they have requested and they have said that its not enough.

They won't accept photocopies...send the originals by recorded delivery.

And request the appeal documentation from them. They are so evasive on the phone and won't guide you in the right direction ...I have only just received this paperwork now because i specifically requested it.

Their letters arrive approximately three weeks after the conversation you have with them so you can't really keep track of where you're up to. They don't acknowledge letters that you send in. I have invited them to come and inspect my home to see that he doesn't live here, to speak to the childrens' school as they are fully aware of our home situation and they haven't so much as acknowledged any of this...just sent out a notice to pay.

It's horrible. I'm fed up of people saying, "oh it'll be fine! You've got nothing to hide" etc, etc. And I don't have anything to hide but they are not's just getting worse and worse and I can't see how I can I can really win this appeal when they are so insistent that they have "evidence" that he lives here. They have evidence that he is a twunt maybe and used my address when he shouldn't have done so but that isn't evidence that he lives here because he doesn't!

Sorry to not be able to give you a positive tale. Prepare yourself for a fight, keep records of all calls and letters and get your mp involved if necessary. Good luck x

toomuchicecream Sun 10-Mar-13 07:38:59

Happened to a friend of mine whose twunt of an ExH lives on a narrow boat and so claimed he had to use her address. Despite her asking him repeatedly to take her address off his bank, phone etc, and him saying he has, apparently some things are still registered to her address. As everything is on e-billing she doesn't even get post and the tax credit people wouldn't tell her what it was so she could contact them direct.

She sent them everything requested and anything else she could thing of too, such as a screen print from his facebook page saying his location was a boat. It was fine. So follow all the sound advice here about keeping copies of everything, using recorded post etc etc and be prepared for a long battle.

cozietoesie Sun 10-Mar-13 08:19:37

If you're having trouble, go for a Data Protection subject access request. It's free from most public bodies (although they have the right to charge you a small fee.) You might get some interesting information, particularly from emails where people are generally far too loose about what they say - but more importantly it puts a marker down about your intent and gets your case dealt with by someone a little higher up the food chain so that any problems with the way they're handling it are noticed.

taxcredshelp Sun 10-Mar-13 10:57:07

oh my god now i am seriously shitting it

rosehill i really hope you get it sorted x

IneedAsockamnesty Sun 10-Mar-13 11:21:59


I ment how the electoral roll works,my area is the same as yours.

Rose hill.

That is not enough evidence at all,somewhere along the line something else has happened either with evidence or not providing it in a timely fashion or none co operation. There own rules clearly state they cannot rely on one piece of evidence unless its claiment admission.

And the info to appeal comes with the letter stating whats happening before money is stopped.

So either your mistaken about what happened or they have not followed any of there own rules.

rosehill Sun 10-Mar-13 11:50:58

Sockreturningpixie...I am in no doubt that they're not following their own rules. When I requested my freedom of information file, she told me they, "don't do that". My sister who works in an equally well loved government department confirmed that that is indeed BS!

I have complied, returned everything they have asked for promptly and the first I knew that they had actually made the decision to stop my money was when it wasn't in the bank. I received the letter informing me of this fact three days later.

The first letter simply states that you have the right to appeal but they do have an in depth letter which fully explains the process which they have only now just sent at my request.

MonsieurReynard Sun 10-Mar-13 12:39:42

OP - ex-TC worker here, this sounds pretty routine. There's a compliance project on undeclared partners at the moment (previously there've been projects on childcare, disabled twins, etc - that's all public knowledge), and Sky, utility bills, etc, are used to flag up discrepancies that look like they might need investigating. So chances are, you've not been targetted specifically - explain to your compliance worker (there'll be one allocated to deal with the case, should be a direct dial number on the bottom of the compliance letter) that your partner moved out in Jan 2012 but still pays the Sky, send the evidence, and that should be an end of it. They'll see plenty cases like this and it's usually fairly evident when there's nothing actually wrong - they'd rather close it down quickly and move on to the next case.
The general helpline staff can't contact the compliance worker directly or transfer you, and can only read her/his (sometimes indecipherably abbreviated!) notes on the screen, so you'd get limited help from them on this specific issue.
Oh, and make sure you know what year they're asking about - the letters (unless they've improved drastically from when I was there!) can be really confusing! It'll either be current year (April 2012 - April 2013 - you were presumably living alone for the whole period) or previous year (April 2011 to April 2012 - in which you'd presumably have had a joint award up to Jan 12 and a single award Jan-April) Hope that's of some help, and good luck with it! smile

cozietoesie Sun 10-Mar-13 12:41:54

........When I requested my freedom of information file, she told me they, "don't do that".......

Then put the request in writing with reference to the Data Protection Act (just for the heck of it.) If you get the same response (from someone who doesn't know what the heck they're talking about clearly) then refer the matter immediately to the Information Commissioner.

IneedAsockamnesty Sun 10-Mar-13 12:45:49


And this happened in December? We are now in march what have you done to try and rectify the matter?

Who have you approached for help?

I'm not asking to be stroppy but if I know I may be able to assist you.

gallicgirl Sun 10-Mar-13 12:53:51

It's a Subject Access Request under Data Protection Act for personal information.

Freedom of Information requests are for non-specific information from public bodies, eg; how many parking tickets did Westminster Council issue last year, how many successful appeals were made over ATOS decisions etc.

GregBishopsBottomBitch Sun 10-Mar-13 12:59:46

Rosehill do the school have his new address on their contact form?

cozietoesie Sun 10-Mar-13 13:08:37


An FOI officer (or Data Protection Officer - because they're often the same person in organisations) would treat an FOI request as a DP request - after clarification - because they're well aware that the general public get the terms wrong. Organisational guidance should give clear guidance on this to front line staff.

rosehill Sun 10-Mar-13 15:23:28

Ah thank you...I used the wrong terminology then when I made the request but as cozie stated, they should really have known what I meant. As stated previously they don't guide you through it and I feel are very evasive. I shall write a letter to them using the correct terminology...thanks.

The school don't have him on their files as he won't tell me where he lives.

I have approached CAB who unfortunately have no advisors who can specifically help with benefits advice (budget cuts) but they have made me an appointment with a solicitor who they think may be able to help me. They're so over stretched that appointments are six weeks apart here so it's been a slow process but is underway.

And I have approached my local MP who is writing to them on my behalf in spite of me having received a letter informing me not to contact them regarding my appeal until JULY.

They have my bank statements, utility bills, mortgage documents and a letter from my bank confirming that I hold no joint accounts. The school are willing to write to them if necessary so I think I'll have to get that letter too.

If there is anything else I should be doing then I would appreciate the advice. I didn't think you we're being stroppy at all...thanks.

IneedAsockamnesty Sun 10-Mar-13 23:22:26

Any body professional who knows you live alone?

Social worker health visitor that sort of thing? Have you had to give instruction to the school about him not collecting her anymore or about him leaving just incase she got upset or misbehaved?

A letter confirming that would be helpful.

Also ring comunity legal advice

But do it tomorrow if you leave it till April you will be screwed as legal aid is being withdrawn for benefit disputes then but if you already have it it should cover you for this dispute.

Register a financial disassociation with the three main credit check people off the top of my head they are equifax experian and Callcredit,a simple letter confirming your details and stating who he is (name dob ect)when he left your house and that he is no longer there but you are concerned he is committing fraud by using your address, the same letter to all 3 will be fine. ASAP. Addresses on this page

If you know what bank it is tell them as well but in writing,

Do you have any formal contact arrangements or did you consult any legal people when he left? Copies of details from that will help.

Any csa case against him? Or if he has kids with anyone else who uses the csa whilst you cannot obtain info about other kids you can pass these details to tax credits for benefit fraud detection stuff the csa is able to tell hmrc directly if he is still using your address.

IneedAsockamnesty Mon 11-Mar-13 00:19:29

Another thought, at the time he left did you have to obtain any support from your landlord ( kinda hoping your in some form of social housing) anything at all even something as little as informing them he had left and you were doing HB forms or the such like?

Confirmation of that would also be helpful.

taxcredshelp Mon 11-Mar-13 07:37:24

sockreturning pixie - you sound very knowledgeable in all this, do you work for them? or citizens advice or something?

also thanks to monsieur renard, that was really helpful. (i bet they are awful to work for, it sounds like theres far too much work and not enough staff)

well am going to ring them as soon as they open at 8....although am not holding much hope out of getting through

taxcredshelp Mon 11-Mar-13 09:43:00

have managed to get through, amazingly shock

spoke to someone who explained the reasons for the letter (which, obviously i know) i explained that he wasn't living with me and everything i have said on this thread, and was honest about the Virgin bill (that he pays it). and she just said to send in everything i have got.

i have also given his new address, and she did a search but said i would still need to send in the stuff. i dont know whether that means he is showing up at his new address, or not, or whether she can't tell me either way. which is fine, i don't mind sending in the stuff, but i was hoping it could get sorted there and then.

still worrying sad

IneedAsockamnesty Mon 11-Mar-13 11:43:29

I run a domestic violence org that operates as a one stop would be surprised at how many of my clients have this happen to them and we deal with it for them.

I would expect he's with someone else and possibly showing up on their claim or he's got a job.

taxcredshelp Mon 11-Mar-13 14:16:34

was that last part of your post to me sock?

that sounds brilliant what you are doing. i wish there was something like that where i live (although not that i am saying i need the dv bit)

rosehill Mon 11-Mar-13 23:06:29

Sock..thanks for all of the useful advice. I'll certainly be following up everything that you've mentioned.

No other children, own my own home, amicable maintenance arrangement so no CSa case (tax credits can see the maintenance payment on my bank account though).

Can count solicitor, social worker, EWO, clinical psychologist amongst close friends and family but obviously in a personal capacity not in a professional role so not sure if thats helpful? Headmistress is aware of home situation and prepared to vouch for me (I volunteer at school so she knows me well).

Sorry for quick post...been on a course all day and am exhausted! Didn't want to look like I wasn't taking your advice on board though! Thank you again and I shall certainly be following up re:financial disassociation and community legal advice.

rosehill Mon 11-Mar-13 23:13:10

And sorry for hijacking your thread, tax! It's all great information though which you can use to prepare yourself and hopefully not have such a difficult battle on your hands. Thanks for starting it.

IneedAsockamnesty Mon 11-Mar-13 23:15:41

The solisiter if she felt able to do so could,but first ask her advice about something related to him leaving,that way you have consulted her so she's not fibbing grin

Seriously tho any respected person can as long as they tell the truth as they know it.

One of the things tax credits ask you is how friends family ect perceive the relationship whilst TC can't ask them you can provide evidence of this yourself.

IneedAsockamnesty Mon 11-Mar-13 23:19:17

Op,yes it was usually when they sound so unguarded and easy going it means its going to be simple the most usual reason for that is the person in question has turned up on another TC or dwp claim,but obviously I was not privy to your convo I'm just guessing because normally if its not straight forward they arnt so helpful

Skyebluesapphire Mon 11-Mar-13 23:28:06

I had the same letter before Christmas, I couldn't get through on the phone so I sent a letter stating when XH walked out and sent copy of divorce petition, Absolute, screenshots of texts giving me his new address etc.

They wrote back to say they were satisfied that he did not live here.

If I were you I would check the three credit agencies and see what is at your address. If you don't have any joint finances with him you can ask for financial dissociation from him.

It is routine and as long as you can prove it you will be fine.

IneedAsockamnesty Mon 11-Mar-13 23:46:39

Just realised you can do the credit agency stuff online using the above link.

taxcredshelp Tue 12-Mar-13 08:14:46

thank you - will have a look at the credit stuff

skyeblue - sorry to hear it happened to you too. how long did it all take to go through? its the waiting i feel like i can't cope with. its making me ill

i am thinking about going to the doctors because i keep crying all the time and i can't eat or sleep. i need to be strong for the kids but i am being so crap, and none of this is their fault sad

and what happens is they decide he IS living with me and stop everything? he ISN'T living with me so isn't going to suddenly come back and start paying my bills etc

god i feel ill

IneedAsockamnesty Tue 12-Mar-13 08:22:06

They cannot decide that unless they have actual evidence and if they do you claim special hardship payments until its sorted out.

taxcredshelp Tue 12-Mar-13 08:54:31

oh god i hope it doesn't come to that. i am probably over thinking it as i know i have nothing to hide but i know what these people are like, i know they are trying to get everyone to stop claiming and i feel like they will do anything to meet their targets etc. i feel powerless.

what would they class as actual evidence? do you mean if they are filming outside my house or something because if so they will soon see theres no one else here!

Skyebluesapphire Tue 12-Mar-13 10:45:32

Please try not to worry about it. Once I posted the stuff to them they got in touch after a few weeks and said the case was closed and they were happy he wasnt here. I had to go all through Christmas not knowing if my payments would stop.

Just get all the info you can on his new address, send to them by recorded delivery and then all you can do is wait I'm afraid.

But please don't let it worry you. There were a few of us having the same problem and we were all ok.

IneedAsockamnesty Tue 12-Mar-13 10:56:26

Actually evidence would be something like,

You living beyond your means
Him applying for load ect at your address or just using it with companies
Financial links other than maintainance on your acc.
Statement from either of you confirming certain actions like making plans together sharing chores stuff that would indicate your still in a relationship,
A report from someone else.(that gets proven)

As well as a few other things

taxcredshelp Tue 12-Mar-13 11:18:16

oh god skyeblue that must have been so stressful trying to get through christmas. glad you are sorted now.

and thanks sock returning that has cleared things up, i can safely say none of those apply to me.

Skyebluesapphire Tue 12-Mar-13 14:18:11

link to our thread back in December, in case there is anything useful on there

taxcredshelp Tue 12-Mar-13 15:34:26

oh thank you skye thats very helpful

i posted for advice on mse another forum as well and got some horrible person suggesting i was lying, really upset me

IneedAsockamnesty Tue 12-Mar-13 15:37:55

Want me to go over and call them a cunt?

Skyebluesapphire Tue 12-Mar-13 16:04:14

What lying that Tax Credits were after you, or lying that your X didnt live there ? confused some people are total knobs./

Sadly Tax Credits have done this to a lot of innocent people and caused a lot of stress, which has been made worse by the fact that most people cant get through to them on the only phone number that they give you.

In my case, my XH left in April 2012 and I made a single claim then. Our joint claim for current year was for 3 days....

Because XH didn't change his address on most things, simply redirected the mail, it meant that this was showing as his address, when he hadnt lived here for almost 9 months by then. and of course, it was still a joint mortgage as it was in the process of being sorted out.

If you can get everything in your name that would be great, and if not, then just explain in the letter to Tax Credits that it is still in your X name for financial reasons. Do you pay it? It could be in his name, but the payment could come from your bank account.

taxcredshelp Tue 12-Mar-13 16:30:15

haha yes please socks grin

they were implying i was lying about mine and ex's relationship hmm

i thought of something else - i don't know if its relevant. but on the letter, it said, re your single claim of 2011 - 2012 and 2012 - 2013 . Between Jan 2011 Up until January 2012 - xp WAS living with me, and we did have a Joint tax credits claim. i wonder if that could have anything to do with it confused

i wish i could win the lottery so i no longer had to claim anything. i would ring them and tell them to stick it up their arse sad

Skyebluesapphire Tue 12-Mar-13 16:47:46

My letter referred to my single claim for the year ended 5 April 2012, but I didnt start my single claim until 8 April 2012! So the letter was totally wrong anyway.

and they told me to ring them by January 2012. This was in December 2012 lol. I dont actually own a time machine confused

taxcredshelp Wed 13-Mar-13 07:25:28

Lol thats ridiculous skyeblue

and thats what i mean, my single claim only started jan 2012, prior to that was a joint claim, but they are suggesting it was a single claim the whole time but ex was here and they KNOW that because they were paying us JOINTLY hmm

taxcredshelp Thu 14-Mar-13 07:47:23

just bumping again, sorry

to update, i finally sent everything i have off yesterday, which was, tenancy agreement, rent statement, bank statements in my name (along with notes on them showing when i made payments for food shopping, bills, things for kids etc), my council tax bill, my water bill, my housing benefit confirmation, my tv licence bill. all in my name. (i have gas and electric bills in my name but am waiting for them to send me copies then i will send them too).

I also sent a covering letter stating ex and i were not in a relationship, living apart, financially separate and that he is in a new relationship.

but still i am scared it is not enough because of ex only living at his new house last few months. so what if they want me to explain prev months - i don't know where he was, i just know he wasn't HERE!! also i doubt he will be on electoral role there or council tax at his new address as he is basically just shacked up with this woman, there is no rent agreement or anything

been doing loads of searching online and keep finding loads of horror stories where they have not believed people and they have ended up owing thousands. i cant stop looking

i am sick with worry, i can't sleep and i can't eat. i am like a zombie. i do not know how i am going to get through the next few weeks as i have heard it can take weeks for them even to get back to you

cozietoesie Thu 14-Mar-13 07:55:20

It's likely the feeling of helplessness that's making you so tense.

Why not give them a quick phone tomorrow to check whether the stuff has arrived and whether they need anything else? That way, you have something to do - and who knows what they might let slip when they're talking.

Best of luck.

taxcredshelp Thu 14-Mar-13 10:47:13

yes i definitely feel helpless cosie sad

i actually rang this morning when they opened, and told them i had sent my stuff off. the lady i spoke to was really kind and friendly, and even had a joke with me when one of my kids were shouting at me while i was on the phone (am hoping thats a GOOD sign that she sounded so friendly and relaxed??!... confused )

i also asked if when they did a search on ex's new address, did they find him there? wasn't sure if she could tell me due to data protection, but she told me they DIDN'T find anything sad and this is why they need the extra stuff

so now i am shitting as they HAVENT found him at new address. so i have rang ex in a panic and he ASSURES me he HAS had everything changed over. and to be fair, i have had no mail for him for a good few weeks now. he has also told me that if necessary, i can send his driving licence / bank statements, phone bill to them (which all have new adress on). but he says he doesnt want to give me them to send unless they ask.

Skyebluesapphire Thu 14-Mar-13 12:04:40

please dont worry too much. and stop googling! There are just as many stories where it turned out ok. and remember that people do lie, so a lot of the ones where the credits were stopped, may well have been done for good reason.

like you say, you can prove it, so try to put it out of your head for now and dont expect to hear anything for a couple of weeks, or you will drive yourself mad

taxcredshelp Thu 14-Mar-13 18:53:36

thank you skye

have not googled at all today blush

and i must admit, when i read all the stuff online, i did suspect some of them were not exactly being truthful, there was stuff like they still had rent / mortgage in joint names, "ex" was paying money into account (other than maintanance) and "ex" was sleeping over occasionally hmm and some were even PREGNANT by the "ex" mind you a lot i found was from netmums

Skyebluesapphire Fri 15-Mar-13 10:23:11

Lol. The only joint thing I had with XH was mortgage and that is common after divorce as it takes time to sort out.

He caused me so much crap by not changing his address. He had been gone for six months by then!

Well done on staying away from Google.

gemgem1328 Sat 16-Aug-14 10:09:31

Hi, i know this is an old thread but I am having the same situation as alot. I have recieved a letter saying they need to check whether i have another adult living with me. My ex partner and i split in 2012 (we also have a child together) and i rang tax credits housing and everything within the week. He has never had a permanent living address as he has been living in his caravan so all his mail still comes to my house and he has also been using my address for hospital, doctors, dentist, phone, loans and everything like that, i thought it would be ok as we are still on very good terms and we are still very good friends and i would do this for any of my friends. I pay all the bill in my house but gas and elec are prepayment so dont get letters with those. All other bills in my name, i have bank statements proving all my money comes out for shopping etc. ( i am not yet working as i am studying to become self employed). He also still comes round quite alot obviously to see his daughter, i dont allow my daughter to stay with him in the caravan as i dont think its safe enough for her. He does stay on the odd occasion but this is only once or twice a month on the couch. Im just wondering what happens from here if anyone knows please, i need to send bank statements bills etc but does anyone know what will happen after that? After reading these its looking like they are not going to believe that he is not living with me and we are not a couple. Help appreciated thanks x

Sparklypants Sat 16-Aug-14 11:02:55

Gem gem, I think you need to put a stop to your ex using your address for everything, especially loans! It's nice of you to want to help him out but I think this is going to backfire on you in the end.

I also will help my friends out if I can but the last thing I will do is jeopardise the money that I and my children live on.

I'm sorry I can't help anymore than that, I don't actually know anything but your ex using your address for these thing rang some warning bells.

Good luck

spongebob5 Sat 16-Aug-14 11:19:18

This happened to me also, x-h moved out eventually but kept his name on the sky & phone bills. I had a letter from the tax credits about compliance. I had told them when he moved out and was claiming as a single parent. The idiot x-h had then applied for credit using my address!

I rang the tax credits and explained again that he had moved out, they asked me to supply proof that he wasn't living with me. I sent them photocopies of letters from my solicitor stating I had instructed her to start divorce proceedings. There were no problems after this. HTH

gemgem1328 Sat 16-Aug-14 11:37:02

Hi, thanks. I know didnt think anything of it the time and definatley didnt think this would happen or would have told him to get them sent to someone elses house instead of mine. We were not married so the only thing i did when we split and he moved out is ring around tax credits, council tax, housing benefit and went on a single claim for income support as we were on a joint claim of jobseekers. Im finally sorting myself out and nearly finishhed my course that i paid for myself to make abetter life for me and my daughter and this happens! The only thing i could ask him for to prove he isnt living with me is possibly a letter from whoever he rents land from to stay in his caravan there but still not sure this will be enough evidence apart from them coming round and seeing none of his things here!

gemgem1328 Sat 16-Aug-14 11:38:20

I can also prove only my name on the council tax possibly if i rang them and water and that i have not spare money after paying for shopping gas elec etc. and he isnt on the electoral role here either.

KingJoffreysBloodshotEye Sat 16-Aug-14 11:43:45

This thread is a worry.

The previous owners still have all of their 'governmenty' letters sent here - pensions, etc.

Worried that might come back on me..!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now