Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think it takes the piss to have to pay £100 a year to continue nursing?

(99 Posts)
NotHerRealname Fri 15-Feb-13 19:32:05

I have been a nurse in the NHS for over 10 years now, and each year I have had to pay a yearly fee to maintain my professional registration. Last year the fee was £76, and this year it has increased to a whopping £100.
Obviously I earn an enormous salary as a nurse so I can easily afford this hmm .
Does anyone else thinks this takes takes the bloody biscuit really? As I understand it other professionals have to pay an annual fee to stay on a professional register too. I was wondering how these fees compare to the one for the NMC.

FutTheShuckUp Fri 15-Feb-13 19:33:32

It is the NMC you pay to maintain registration

TaggieCampbellBlack Fri 15-Feb-13 19:35:10

I'd feel slightly less bitter if the NMC weren't such corrupt, bullying, incompetent bastards.

HavingALittleFaithBaby Fri 15-Feb-13 19:35:35

I'm a nurse too. I do think its a lot but they worked to hold it lower for a long time and compared to some HCPs we get off lightly. £320 for physio! £208 for a SALT...

That's cheaper than what dental nurses have to pay.

Vexedbybook Fri 15-Feb-13 19:36:38


I had to ring the NMC the other week and the person on the phone was a git, spectacularly rude. Weren't they declared "unfit for purpose" a few years ago? Bring back the UKCC.

Pricklypickup Fri 15-Feb-13 19:37:00

£205 for ACCA

Physio £300+ and then there is HPC on top plus sports and exercise medicine, orthopaedic medicine fees.

SLT about £250 and HPC on top. SLT also no uniform so spend a small fortune on clothes I don't mind wearing on hospital wards or sitting on the floor with small children.

We don't get any of the nurses shift hours but then there is also no potential for extra shifts etc to increase our salary at times.

JakeBullet Fri 15-Feb-13 19:37:37

Blimey...that's gone up.

I have left nursing now and have no plans to return thankfully. I am aware it's good compared with how much other HCPs pay a year to maintain their registration but even so it's a big jump.

Are you allowed to make a regular payment on a monthly basis now or does it have to be in one hit?

Roseformeplease Fri 15-Feb-13 19:37:49

Teachers pay too.

girliefriend Fri 15-Feb-13 19:38:08

YANBU, it does take the piss. I also think our employers should contribute towards it.

I am however really shock at how much physios and salt are paying!!!

I'm a nurse but not practising ATM, I've been a SAHM for almost 3 years, my fees are due this month. We really don't have £100 to pay it, but no choice really. YANBU, it's sickening. So much money when I'm not even working! I definitely think it should be reduced/ void for people not working at that time/ maternity leave/ part time workers etc.

NotHerRealname Fri 15-Feb-13 19:38:39

Really? What do dental nurses pay then? I think their salary is even lower than registered nurses isn't it?

Maebe Fri 15-Feb-13 19:39:18

Similar to my profession - once you've worked your arse off to get Chartered, you have to pay about £150 a year to maintain that status (and its pretty necessary for a lot of the jobs). Some companies are nice and pay it, but a lot aren't. It is shit, but YAB a little U, a lot of professions have an annual cost involved.

I'm registered with the HPC and I currently pay £152 every two years (so £76 a year). I guess I can look forward to it going up in line with NMC then! It is tax deductible which reduces it a reasonable amount, but it does slightly annoy me that I have to pay it basically to cover the costs of dealing with fitness to practice hearings. I'm not sure what the answer is though, other than those whose fitness is called into question having to pay the costs of hearings.

Less physios/ SLTs to cover probably the same costs.

Have no idea about union fees for SLTs.

Vexedbybook Fri 15-Feb-13 19:41:34

Who do teachers have to pay now? I flat shared with teachers for years and there was no compulsory registration fee for them, just their choice of union.

pippibluestocking Fri 15-Feb-13 19:41:52

What do teachers pay? I think OTs is a bit lowe than nurses but stand to be corrected if Im wrong!

Nurses have RCN fees to pay as well, which aren't really optional, even if in theory they are.

It would be ok if the NMC were a useful body. But they are appallingly bad, so YANBU.

Who do physios have to pay other than the HPC? Are they registered with more than one body?

Maybe83 Fri 15-Feb-13 19:42:58

Mine are 240 per yr plus 300 per exam that I may need to sit and I'm not hcp though and continued professional hrs so no I don't think it's that high

mercibucket Fri 15-Feb-13 19:43:08

do you declare it plus cleaning uniform expenses on your tax return? if not, you can, so backdate that claim asap

wonderstuff Fri 15-Feb-13 19:43:53

I'm not sure teachers do pay anything, we did pay the gtc, but now that's been abolished I don't think we have a professional body. We need to pay union subs, but dont have to.

25% increase when you are on a pay freeze, and presumably your pension contributions have risen? YANBU that's harsh.

It's £245 to get and renew an SIA license to work as a security guard.

Vexedbybook Fri 15-Feb-13 19:44:07

I've never paid the RCN a penny. Unison are cheaper and less lickarsey to the high ups.

SizzleSazz Fri 15-Feb-13 19:44:41

My fees are £320 per year. They are tax deductible, if you can be bothered to claim.

wonkylegs Fri 15-Feb-13 19:46:16

Architects Registration £98.50 a year compulsory + insurance (depends on practice)
If your a chartered architect there is another fee on top of this which depends on how many years qualified which for me is £383 although they've kindly reduced this to £74 as I was made redundant at the end of last year. No reduction in the £98.50 which I daren't allow to lapse as A) I can't legally call myself an architect without it and B) if I need to rejoin the register after a lapse it costs me hundreds of pounds
It would be fine but you don't do architecture for the money!

Vexedbybook Fri 15-Feb-13 19:47:23

You don't do nursing for the money either and I don't think architects are on a pay freeze...

pippibluestocking Fri 15-Feb-13 19:47:38

Wouldn't be so bad if the NMC were competent, but they're in special measures. FTP hearings take a number of years to come to panel, which allows nurses of questionable performance to continue working agency or bank for several years after they have dismissed from substantive roles for gross misconduct.

NotHerRealname Fri 15-Feb-13 19:47:58

I also have to pay £16.20 per month for my RCN membership (union). Now it really does pain me to pay that as I don't feel that I get much for it. Mind you, its something that I would never do without. God forbid ever actually needing legal representation for a work related issue. So really in that respect I guess it is worth it.

trixymalixy Fri 15-Feb-13 19:50:07

£690 a year for my professional subscription fees.

Youremindmeofthebabe Fri 15-Feb-13 19:50:50

I'm a dispensing optician- that's not the kind that tests eyes, we earn in the reigon of 15-25k per annum. I need to pay £300 to one body, and £250 approx to another.

Luckily my employer pays it, but many don't.

nbee84 Fri 15-Feb-13 19:51:41

£103 per year to be an Ofsted registered nanny.

wonderstuff Fri 15-Feb-13 19:52:26

I really think my union fees are well worth it. The legal representation is obviously very important when you are dealing with vulnerable people, but when you look at the negotiations with government over pensions and working conditions I feel they've got my back. The idea of a Tory government and no union representation isn't worth contemplating.

LittleBearPad Fri 15-Feb-13 19:52:44

£360 or so for Chartered Accountancy and I understand its £800 odd for the Society although DH's firm pays his fees. Mine doesn't. It is tax deductible and all you have to do is write to HMRC and explain and then they amend your tax code. It helps although I'm very sceptical about what the ICAEW actually does for its £360.

Roseformeplease Fri 15-Feb-13 19:53:21

In Scotland we pay GTCS fees which are about £60 a year. I also pretty much have to be a member of a union in order to have legal protection etc. that is £160 a year as I belong to an expensive, but strike adverse, one.

montmartre Fri 15-Feb-13 19:53:27

Professional registration fees are all tax deductable, so you're not losing out anywhere- what's the problem?

thebitchdoctor Fri 15-Feb-13 19:53:39

Doctors have to pay £400 a year GMC registration and licence fees, then medical defence fees on top of that depending on your speciality, typically £3000-4000 a year for that. Also the postgrad exams we have to do to fully specialise (it's cost me around £3000 for that so far) then having to pay for our CCT (I'll have to check what that amount is, I vaguely remember it to be about £1000).

I know for the GMC if you are on mat leave you can pay a reduced amount though they don't like to tell you that, I only found out 2 months after I finished mat leave!

wonkylegs Fri 15-Feb-13 19:53:51

Vexed nope most architects are on reduced wages (many since 2008) facing redundancy or like me redundant. Architects have been hit very hard by the recession. I now have a lot of 'former architect' friendssad which is shit after so much training (min 7yrs)

olivo Fri 15-Feb-13 19:54:07

I pay about £160 to my teaching union - we don't have a prof registration body. But would be foolish not to be a union member, so no real choice.

thebitchdoctor Fri 15-Feb-13 19:54:17

Oh and then £300 a year for union fees (BMA).

LiveItUp Fri 15-Feb-13 19:54:22

I'm a Sport & Remedial Massage Therapist and there's the registration with the Institute to pay (around £60), the insurance (not high, but have to remain a member of the Institute of Sport & Remedial Massage Therapists to get this insurance), and have to pay for own CPD throughout the year in order to maintain Institute membership, and regular first aid updates etc etc. Overall - a few hundred pounds a year and most of us are self-employed so no employer to pay any of it.

On a good note, at least you (well all of us actually) can claim this back against our income if you do an annual tax return.

NotHerRealname Fri 15-Feb-13 19:54:28

Who says I don't do it for the money? Of course I do! I have bills to pay and children to feed. It really gets my goat when people assume nurses work for the love of the job. I love my job and I care well for my patients, but if I didn't have to work then I probably stay at home with my children rather than packing them off to nursery!

FannyFifer Fri 15-Feb-13 19:55:19

£100 and we don't even get our registration card anymore, just a shitty magazine that I could do without.
Actually not had the mag in a while, maybe it's stopped.

No option to pay monthly either or a different rate for part time nurses.

I am not impressed with the mad increase, was bad enough before.

£370 for podiatrists plus £120 I think to the HPC.

3littlefrogs Fri 15-Feb-13 19:57:06

You would have to pay a similar amount in order to practice in any profession I think.

I pay my NMC registration and my union membership. My employer pays my insurance to practice though, for which I am grateful as it is much more than £100 per year.

ilovesooty Fri 15-Feb-13 19:57:28

£146.00 for my registration with the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy.

ilovesooty Fri 15-Feb-13 19:58:33

In addition to that: over £100 for professional insurance.

BikeRunSki Fri 15-Feb-13 19:59:37

Public sector employee here, also on pay freeze, and working cost neutral atm because of childcare costs. I am an Engineering Geologist and am lucky enough to pay two professional bodies. To maintain chartered status with The Geological Society and also as a graduate member of the Institution of Civil Engineers, both cost around £200 a year. Each.

stargirl1701 Fri 15-Feb-13 20:02:46

It is tax deductible so you should claim it.

Vexedbybook Fri 15-Feb-13 20:05:52

I don't do it for the money, it was £12k a year when I started. I have to work I'm not a trustafarian, but I didn't choose the job for the wages is what I meant, because they aren't that high!

I have no wish to offend architects, I know two and they are delightful but earn much more than me, thats all I meant. God I remember why I don't usually post in AIBU at all!

wonkylegs Fri 15-Feb-13 20:06:16

Notherrealname when I said I don't do architecture for the money all I meant was it's not well paid (despite what many people think to the contrary) it wasn't a comment on anybody else's job sorry if you thought I was getting at you

Vexedbybook Fri 15-Feb-13 20:07:01

How do you claim it back? I thought only self employed did tax returns.

NotHerRealname Fri 15-Feb-13 20:09:41

BikeRunSki, I am sorry to hear that, it must really suck. It is ridiculous that you are working for so little after so much education and training, and 400 quid per annum on top! It almost makes you wish your kids lives away til they are at school and the childcare costs reduce.
Nurses have it good in some ways as we can work flexibly, and do bank work or agency to increase income if necessary. Also its very easy to switch to part time after having kids. There is a lot to be said for that, so its not all bad.

sarahtigh Fri 15-Feb-13 20:10:25

i'm a dentist it was £576 last year for registration the dental practising insurance which is compulsory is £1074 for 4 sessions ( 2 days) a week so well over £2,500 if you work full time, ( that does not cover implants or more than average oral surgery that would all be extra)
membership of unionBDA ( british dental association another £500 roughly) this is voluntary

dental nurses I think are £125 which is more than regular nurses and they are paid much less too band 3-4 if work in NHS employee situation, it is tax deductible but comparatively £100 is not too bad

HavingALittleFaithBaby Fri 15-Feb-13 20:10:38

For RCN members For unison I claimed back uniform and fees and you can tick a box so they continue to refund it. IIRC claiming for 4 years of fees and uniforms I got about £175 back.

NotHerRealname Fri 15-Feb-13 20:11:22

Thats alright Wonkylegs, I was being a tad defensive! You know what we nurses are like grin

sarahtigh Fri 15-Feb-13 20:13:18

anyone can claim the tax back but if an employee it must be necessary to do job so registration fees/ compulsory insurance count union fees do not

if you have to wash your own uniforms you can get a small change to tax code ( not claimable if work launder uniforms for you or if you choose to launder yourself when they could be done for you)

landofsoapandglory Fri 15-Feb-13 20:22:49

"if you have to wash your own uniforms you can get a small change to tax code ( not claimable if work launder uniforms for you or if you choose to launder yourself when they could be done for you)"

Not if you're in the Armed Forces you can't! I We launder DH's uniforms, like the rest of the Forces, and they are not allowed to have this adjustment made to their tax code. There is a petition about it, but it won't change!

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 15-Feb-13 20:31:59

Registered Veterinary Nurse's fee is £160 per year and their pay is lower than a human nurse.

indyandlara Fri 15-Feb-13 20:38:36

I pay feed to the GTCS. There's no choice. Hubby pays ab

indyandlara Fri 15-Feb-13 20:40:28

Hubby pays about £350 for his fees. Architects don't really earn what people would expect. They have been very badly hit by the recession and are certainly not in a very secure position these days.

Sorry posted too quickly previously.

mercibucket Fri 15-Feb-13 20:48:16

teachers can also claim union fees, check the union website as it is not the full amount

Loopyhasanotherbean Fri 15-Feb-13 20:50:23

Fsa fees for financial advisers are about £150 per month, plus FSCS levy each month plus £35 pa DPA licence plus an optional annual CII/PFS fee which I think is about £200....and if you don't pay that you can't use the letters after your name that you've paid 4 figures for the exams and study material to obtain the letters in the first place. And if you don't pay they can take your certificates back. And if you happen to go on maternity leave or work part time, none of these fees stop or reduce. I would love to only pay £100 per annum and have a good pension scheme. And I am not a high earner before anyone says the industry can afford these fees.

lostmykeysagain38 Fri 15-Feb-13 20:54:01

Teachers in Wales pay GTCW. It's deducted from our wages and without it, we can't teach. Union fees are about £180 a year although they are, in theory, a choice.

thixotropic Fri 15-Feb-13 21:02:42

I'm in a similar line of work to bikeRunSki and I pay similar level of fees to one of those institutions.

We've had a pay freeze since 2009, and have to pay our own professional fees. I too am not a high earner despite being professionally qualified. Can't chase the lucrative stuff because I can't put the hours in due to having kids.

knackeredmother Fri 15-Feb-13 21:15:05

Another doctor here- £400 GMC , £2000 medical defence fees, £1000 exams. I earnt £32k last year before tax. I think the nursing fees are a bargain!

knackeredmother Fri 15-Feb-13 21:17:21

My husband is a plumber, earns considerably less than a nurse, gas safe fees are £210 a year.

Stealthfart Fri 15-Feb-13 21:20:01

Doobiedoo, if you haven't been practicing for 3 years you won't be eligible to practice anyway so you might be able to save your £100

nurseneedshelp Fri 15-Feb-13 21:22:17

Yep its crap!
My registration is due next month :-(
However my trust pay 50% every year :-)

Karoleann Fri 15-Feb-13 21:22:52

It's £380 for optometrists each year o maintain their professional qualification.
I don't think it's unreasonable and I'm glad the general optical council exist to maintain standards in our profession.

dayshiftdoris Fri 15-Feb-13 21:29:34

£100 NMC

£19.89 per month to the RCM which I have to maintain even though I am not practising so that I can have retrospective cover (There is the option for legal action against midwives for up to 21yrs post a birth)


last year I discovered half way through my HV training that the RCM did not cover me for HV practice!!!!
So I had to pay out a further £13 for Unite

last year cost me nearly £500 to remain registered and be covered legally as I was practising in both areas!!

Have cancelled my unite and I can downgrade my RCM once I am off the bank but even so - its going to cost between £250-£300 to remain registered whilst I don;t work for a year!

cathers Fri 15-Feb-13 21:37:52

I pay £1000 p/a registration and insurance to practice as an osteopath. That's regardless of how many hours you work. I think this is expensive!
Dh pays about £3000 to his reg body and defence union.

wonderstuff Fri 15-Feb-13 21:51:34

A gas safe registered plumber earning considerably less than a nurse? Really I'm surprised at that I thought plumbers were well paid, on the program about Pimblico plumbers the plumbers were getting close to £100k.

SingySongy Fri 15-Feb-13 22:00:06

It's only tax deductible if you are actually paying tax.
I'm an slt, and have spent two or three years doing a small amount of independent work (therefore under the threshold for paying tax).
I have done this mainly to maintain my registration, and avoid expensive and time consuming retraining in the future.
I pay £200ish to the royal college of Slts, £75ish to HCPC, and £100 to the association for independent SLTs. I pay for public liability insurance (£85), and also £40 to be registered with the data protection agency. I also have a budget of about £500 per year for CPD.
These costs are the same whether you do a tiny amount of work each year, or loads, and can mean its quite a challenge to maintain registration.

knackeredmother Fri 15-Feb-13 22:17:02

Wonder stuff : I wish, it's a real myth that plumbers earn a lot- mainly arising from the Pimlico Plumbers programme. It's only the owner of the company that earns that and he has an awful lot f plumbers working for him! Your average one man self employed plumber is not making much. Nurses are actually quite well paid, I know as I used to be one.

Vet here:

RCVS fees (professional body) - £300
VDS fees (insurance against getting sued) -not sure how much because my employer pays these, not the case for everyone though
BVA (closest thing to a union, not essential but nearly is) - £280

Earn about the same as an advanced nurse.

Shaky Fri 15-Feb-13 22:27:41

Oh bollocks, I didn't know it had gone up. I'm due to pay again next month sad

I have to pay to maintain my nursing license here in the US, due next month, it's not as expensive $120 every two years, and on the year I don't pay that I have to pay for continuing education credits, 30 hours every two years, I got lucky last year and found a sale on classes, only cost me $55 for the whole 30 hours.
Are UK nurses having to pay for education credits too?
We are moving back soon I don't think my UK license will even be valid anymore, I've been home with Dd. I'll need the back to work thing they do. sad

Lighthousekeeping Fri 15-Feb-13 22:39:27

education credits? when do any of us have any time to go on courses? its a joke really. I pay it by standing order. What annoys me mostly is that bang on that day, without fail, my boss calls me at home to ask why I havent paid my fee and that I cant come back to work unless its sorted. Err... I have a standing order I assume its dealt with. Every sodding year....

shesariver Fri 15-Feb-13 22:47:42

Roseformeplease Teachers pay too

What do they pay to be a teacher then? I always assumed that it is only union fees teachers paid, not to register with a professional body. As a Nurse we are like lots of other professions, including many listed here, that have to pay to be on the professional register plus union fees to. On the plus side at least I can pay the union fees monthly at £20 a month to Unison. My biggest bug bear with the NMC is they wont let you pay the registration fee monthly by direct debit and its always due in 1 lump sum, now £100.

XBenedict Fri 15-Feb-13 22:51:48

Tax relief is only of benefit if you're earning though. I'm currently on a self funded course in a unpaid placement so earning a bit fat zero but paying out for NMC, RCN, travel and childcare. Hey ho, gotta think long term!

sashh Sat 16-Feb-13 07:47:29

Nurses are actually quite well paid, I know as I used to be one.

So glad someone said that before me.

OP, you are a professional so you have to pay fees. Unlike most professionals you do not have student loans to pay back as your education was paid for by the NHS.

£100 is £2 a week, not really that much.

norkmonster Sat 16-Feb-13 08:04:19

I pay more than £1,000 for professional fees, plus something in the region of £1,500 for insurance. The joys of being self employed. And before anyone asks, I earnt (before tax) something in the region of £22,000 last year.

mummyplum1 Sat 16-Feb-13 08:12:10

I don't think £100 in professional fees is much.
I'm another doctor so have to pay much more for professional fees, medical indemnity, membership of colleges, etc as others have said.

I think you get away quite lightly compared to most other professions if this thread is anything to go by!

GirlOutNumbered Sat 16-Feb-13 08:17:51

We (teachers) used to have to pay the GTC, but thats been abolished..... Im sure the Government will come up with something we have to pay soon.

WorriedMary Sat 16-Feb-13 08:31:28

As a childminder I pay £35 to Ofsted and £80 (ish) to NCMA for membership and insurance.

Lots of private sector workers are on pay freezes or on reduced wages when they return to jobs after being made redundant. And many have been for much longer than public sector workers have.

My DH still earns £3k less than he did before he got made redundant in 2008! He works in construction in a role not dissimilar to architecture.

indyandlara Sat 16-Feb-13 08:33:49

Teachers in Scotland and Wales still pay fees to GTC.

sleeplessbunny Sat 16-Feb-13 08:34:33

As a professional engineer I have to pay over £300 per year but my employer counts it as a business expense and reimburses me. I am surprised to hear that is not the norm for healthcare workers.

ZillionChocolate Sat 16-Feb-13 08:48:14

About £500 practising certificate fee for me with insurance on top.

agedknees Sat 16-Feb-13 09:08:36

YABU. The nmc cannot even do it,s job properly.

As for being well paid.....I did an extra clinic yesterday. An extra clinic put on by managers for Friday afternoon. Patients informed of appointments, medical records informed of clinic, doctors informed of clinic. Clinic sister informed of extra clinic no.

So I spent 4 hours yesterday afternoon running this clinic for the princely sum of £00.00 as there is no money to pay for extra staff. Yes I feel extremely well paid. And if I had not done it these patients could not have been seen.

knackeredmother Sat 16-Feb-13 09:32:09

Aged, you say you are not well paid but I know very few nurses who earn less than £30k with unsocial hours. As a clinical sister you will be earning this at least, most likely without working unsocial hours.
As a professional you are salaried and as a professional that means putting in the extra hours when needed. If you were meant to finish at lunchtime yesterday but stayed to run a clinic I have no doubt you can take that time back in lieu.
I really don't understand why professional nurses think it is unfair they pay fees to be a member of a professional body.

gasman Sat 16-Feb-13 10:16:53

I'm a junior doctor (Ie. I'm not a consultant yet). My professional expenses total around 1500 quid / year. I'm not currently in a union so that cost is excluded.

Believe me - I don't earn 15 times more than a nurse! Every single course I go on has a nurses rate and a doctors rate. They are often disproportionate to the relative amounts we get paid (i.e. doctors pay a lot more).

My friends who are accountants/ solicitors and the like tend to have similar costs to me but their firms usually pay on their behalf. My brother (solicitor) was gobsmacked that I was deliberating over subscribing to the journal most relevant to my professional sub specialisation - which isn't available through the NHS library system - it costs about 120 quid per year. If he want something similar his secretary would arrange it (and he is much more junior than me in career terms).

agedknees Sat 16-Feb-13 10:25:30

Knackered - I am not a clinical sister and earn much less than £30,000. I said in my post that the sister had not been informed. I did not say that the sister was myself.

I also said the op was bu. I feel the professional fees are reasonable, however the nmc does need to get its house in order.

As for getting time back in will be in dribs and drabs of half a hour here and there.

GinOnTwoWheels Sat 16-Feb-13 11:33:38

My professional membership is only £50 per year, so thankfully a lot less than some, but I still resent having to pay it myself as it only really benefits my employer not me.

Being tax deductable doesn't solve the problem as you only get 20% of the cost back if you're a basic rate tax payer, so I'm not going to bother filling in a tax return to reclaim the princely sum of £10 per year.

To add fuel to the architects pay argument, I know two and they both earn so much that they are no longer entitled to child benefit (ie £60K+ PA). I know an architect's wife, who is on nearly £50k herself and she was complaining that their CB was being taken away, but she couldn't see that it makes no sense to pay benefits to a family that are in the top few % of household incomes.

Vexedbybook Sat 16-Feb-13 18:38:52

Lol @ time back in lieu. Not where I work. In my last job I did at least 30 min unpaid overtime every single shift and I don't earn 30 grand either!

I agree with the doctor up thread, junior docs aren't exactly rolling in it and shouldn't have to pay what are essentially consultants rates for everything.

smellysocksandchickenpox Sat 16-Feb-13 18:42:20

it's still one of the cheapest professional reg fees out there but agree in so much as it grates to pay the NMC because they are at best useless, at worst corrupt bullying bastards!!

Vexedbybook Sat 16-Feb-13 18:44:58

And they spent all our money doing up their offices then put our fees up sad

GreatSoprendo Sat 16-Feb-13 18:51:22

My professional fees are currently £300 a year, and my employer does not contribute to the cost although holding the affiliation to our professional body is a requirement of the role. I was paying far more than £100 a year 15 years ago when I started work in my industry, even when my salary was £12k.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now