to have NOT tipped the Tesco home delivery man?

(70 Posts)
Lycraphobe Sat 23-Jan-10 18:40:59

I just got my first grocery home delivery - from Tesco - and I got the feeling that the delivery man was waiting for a tip. I didn't have any money handy and I wasn't about to start looking for my purse and then sorting out some money in front of him so i didn't give him anything. But it was a bit awkward for a moment or two until he decided to leave. So, is it usual to tip the tesco driver?

juneybean Sat 23-Jan-10 18:41:33

Are we meant to tip?!

MrsBadger Sat 23-Jan-10 18:41:50

I never have and until one notices my 39wk bump and offers to carry the shopping through to the kitchen I never will.

Lycraphobe Sat 23-Jan-10 18:42:11

I don't know..but he seemed to be waiting for a tip.

i didn't know you were supposed to tip them fell slightly blush now. I do my shopping online from time to time and i nver tip. i bet the think i'm a scrooge!

topsi Sat 23-Jan-10 18:43:30

maybe he was waiting for an invite to come in !! wink

ImSoNotTelling Sat 23-Jan-10 18:43:51

I have ocado and have never tipped.

mrsbadger they carry your shopping through to the kitchen maybe they would be worth a try if you have them in your area? they claim to price match tesco on a lot of stuff.

SpringHeeledJack Sat 23-Jan-10 18:43:52

I heard you weren't allowed to tip them

Lycraphobe Sat 23-Jan-10 18:44:36

Maybe he was waiting for something else, but what? I'd signed the paperwork and said thanks.

BelleDameSansMerci Sat 23-Jan-10 18:45:39

I used to tip but Sainsbury's driver told me they weren't allowed to accept tips. I offered really amazing Ocado delivery man a tip a while ago and he said he'd rather I emailed and said he'd done a good job than tip him. I did tip the Ocado driver at Christmas as he'd got through snow, etc, to get stuff to me.

I don't think they usually expect tips - they don't hang around long enough to get one if they do!

JaynieB Sat 23-Jan-10 18:45:53

I think this chap is taking the mickey, it would never cross my mind to tip someone for a delivery...

BlameItOnTheBogey Sat 23-Jan-10 18:46:00

We use Ocado and I always tip but they do take the stuff into the kitchen.

CaptainUnderpants Sat 23-Jan-10 18:46:06

Blimey - never ever thought about tipping - and to tell you the truth ain't going to start ! grin

Have a Tesco shop online about every other week .

activate Sat 23-Jan-10 18:46:15

You don't tip delivery people unless you live in America

bellavita Sat 23-Jan-10 18:46:20

I have had my shopping delivered for at least 5 years and I have never ever tipped the driver. I have offered them a cup of coffee to have in their van when it has been really horrible weather and a glass of iced squash in summer but that's about it.

satc2bringiton Sat 23-Jan-10 18:46:47

It's never even crossed my mind to tip them blush

Don't worry about it.

BoffinMum Sat 23-Jan-10 18:53:39

I have never tipped in 7 years. I am polite and cheerful and say thank you and so on though.

BTW all of my delivery drivers are happy to carry the stuff through to the kitchen if I ask them. Apparently they are supposed to wait until invited to do so.

LetThereBeRock Sat 23-Jan-10 18:56:10

I tip supermarket delivery drivers, always have and I don't live in America. I don't think it should be expected but I like to do it.

ruhavingalarf Sat 23-Jan-10 18:58:08

I gave the Waitrose men a mince pie when they made it up to our house in the snow and ice before Xmas.
It was 9pm and they'd been out since 8am without a break. I've never seen anyone so grateful, it was lovely.

But I wouldn't normally

BoffinMum Sat 23-Jan-10 19:04:07

I am feeling a bit mean now. But I really hate tipping. It makes me feel pretentious and condescending.

LetThereBeRock Sat 23-Jan-10 19:05:57

Why would it make you feel like that?

BoffinMum Sat 23-Jan-10 19:09:00

As though I am Lady Muck distributing largesse, but also I feel worried I will have guessed the amount wrong and insult someone somehow. It's a social minefield.

onagar Sat 23-Jan-10 19:13:51

I don't know anyone who tips them and I'm pretty sure they don't expect it normally.

juneybean Sat 23-Jan-10 19:14:07

I do tip the takeaway driver though, only to the nearest pound though.

I knohow you feel about tipping Boff - and I definitely don't tip delivery men.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now