to be really cross that NO ONE can be arsed to help at PTA fayre

(324 Posts)
nicefleece Wed 11-Nov-09 20:34:58

I have volunteered to help out at the PTA Christmas Fayre. A note was sent out last week in all 410 book bags, asking for any volunteers to help set up / man the stalls.

3 people replied, one of them is the chair of the PTA

What the feck? Shall I ask the heads to mention it? Why are people so sodding selfish! I know people work, have other kids etc etc but really....

What next? Megaphone of shame in the playground? Sooooo cross and disappointed!

rookiemater Wed 11-Nov-09 20:38:46

Can I be the first to say biscuit

PandaG Wed 11-Nov-09 20:39:49

another message in book bags, plus posters around school, stressing if people don't volunteer the event won't go on, and whatever you are fundraisng for will not be able to happen.

also, ask people individually that you know if, they can help personal touch often helps.

I've been involved in PTA stuff for 6 years now, and is often the way. I find a couple of reminders are needed before people respond

scottishmummy Wed 11-Nov-09 20:39:51

LOL,work does take priority over staffing the PTA stall.given work pays the mortgage,fills the fridge etc

and scurrying around for pta doesnt

nicefleece Wed 11-Nov-09 20:39:54

Thanks for that.

harleyd Wed 11-Nov-09 20:42:23

i cant be arsed going to the damn things, never mind actually volunteering to help at one

JANEITEisntErudite Wed 11-Nov-09 20:45:23

I think yabu tbh. But I agree that approaching a few people personally is the best way forward.

rookiemater Wed 11-Nov-09 20:47:16

Why not give parents the option to either hand over £20.00 or participate.

Due to working and having some health problems I don't volunteer for any PTA stuff because even if I did I don't know if I would be well enough to do it. I'd happily hand over some dosh though as I do understand how important it is that the school is properly funded.

Yes people work, have other kids and simply don't want to do it! You can't force them to and it may be staggering for you to believe but our kids would survive their primary school education without the input of the PTA. Yes it's nice to have - but if your fellow parents don't agree then that is just tough. Rather than bleating about people's selfishness perhaps you should be asking yourselves if there is anything you could do to make the PTA a more attractive organisation for people to spend their limited time on. Perhaps you are planning the wrong events at the wrong time for example? Ultimately though - if your school is full of parents like me who will turn up and spend our cash but have absolutely no spare energy to devote to organising things then that's how it is. Deal with it.

scottishmummy Wed 11-Nov-09 20:49:31

why the hell pay an additional £20,we pay taxes as it is without additional monies for indeterminate purpose

Oh and the idea that people should feel ashamed of not being involved - get a grip, it's the PTA not saving people from certain death. There's NOTHING to fell ashamed about.

nicefleece Wed 11-Nov-09 20:49:59

Fair enough.
Scottish Mummy & Harley D can't go on the shiny new climbing frame, Panda & Rookie mater can. Heh heh.

lazymumofteenagesons Wed 11-Nov-09 20:51:06

YABU I hate all this parent participation. Not only can I not be arsed to help, but I also cannot be arsed to go to any of this crap.

easyoptionwoman Wed 11-Nov-09 20:52:24

Hey scottishmummy - bet you would be the first to complain if there was no money to supplement your kids trips, provide discos throughout the year and other extras (and bloody necessities sometimes) - because that's what the money goes on.
If you're interested in your kids and their education get involved and stop using work as an excuse - we're all busy.
Nicefleece - keep at them, folk will help in the end.

Callisto Wed 11-Nov-09 20:53:18

The last thing I want to do is be involved in any PTA event. I don't give a shit if others think I'm selfish.

scottishmummy Wed 11-Nov-09 20:56:01

let me clarify,work isnt an excuse i dont give flying fuck about who staffs pta stalls when i am at work

the pta cant rearrange my appointments and get me a locum cover for my lost time

cornsilkwearscorsets Wed 11-Nov-09 20:56:19

If you're interested in your kids and their education get involved'
Translated as - I am a considerably better parent than yew.

hellsbelles Wed 11-Nov-09 20:56:20

what is a 'fayre' - we don't have them in these parts grin

displayuntilbestbefore Wed 11-Nov-09 20:57:16

Problem is that once you get roped in to help once, that's it and next year they'll be begging you to be the chair!
I should know - am one of about 3 of us who regularly help out at things - funnily enough we have a number of volunteers to run cake stalls and bottle tombolas but when it comes to clearing up at the end of the event......
<complete mug emoticon>

RubysReturn Wed 11-Nov-09 20:58:56

Well I think it is a shame that some are willing and able to help, some are not, and others are uninvoled miseries.

We found good ways to get particupation is to invite everyone in for coffee and doughnut half an hour before the end of school to get to know each other and share out jobs.

Also putting exactly what you need on recruitment letter eg

Please come on Tues 20th at 2.30 and hopefully staying until 4.30. Other children welcome. Even if you can help for part of this time, please let us know.

I think people are more willing if they know what is expected so they are not scared of over committing.

Also add to bottom

NB the children of all parents who participate, will receive a bump of one grade on their SATS grin

nicefleece Wed 11-Nov-09 20:59:28

Fayre - from the same local lingo that bought you daps.

Booyhoo Wed 11-Nov-09 20:59:34

easyoption- are you for real?
kids do not need a school effin disco.

what are people supposed to do? tell their boss i need a day off/ leave early because the kids want yellow squares painted on the ground?

people have commitments. i'm on mat leave at the minute but even so i cant help out with pta because im bfing a 6 month old and trying to keep a house and kids in their routine. suck it up.

easyoption - that is such bollocks nonsense! Discos and other social events are not essential to our children's education. Trips also are a great place but our children will not fail to get in to Oxbridge because they didn't have two trips a year out to 'educational' destinations. If my school's PTA imploded I wouldn't complain. In fact I would sigh with relief. That doesn't mean I'm not interested in my children and their education - it means I'm not interested in the PTA.

Work isn't an 'excuse' - I have a rewarding and demanding public sector job. What time I have outside that goes on my kids, my marriage, my church and myself - not the PTA!

MillyR Wed 11-Nov-09 21:00:51

I can think of hundreds of volunteering roles that are a more valuable use of my time and more useful to society than manning a stall for the PTA. I can also think of many ways that I could more effectively support my children's education than helping at a 'fayre.'

ruddynorah Wed 11-Nov-09 21:00:53

what is a christmas fayre? dd is only 3.5. i have all this to come..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now