To ask DD to tell her imaginery monster to move out of my.......

(118 Posts)
dilemma456 Tue 03-Nov-09 21:38:43

Message withdrawn

GentleOtter Tue 03-Nov-09 21:40:33

That is so sweet.

Buy new socks.

shockers Tue 03-Nov-09 21:41:56

Bet you could find an odd sock that could be her permanent home... you could make her a happy new sock card... as a sweetener wink

If you haven't got one, give me a shout ... I've got a bag full.

addictedtomn Tue 03-Nov-09 21:43:19

lol, maybe give your dd a pair of old socks that her monster can live in?

i dont think you've lost it btw!

odisco Tue 03-Nov-09 21:43:47

Tell her that Sugar was getting so big that he/she needed to move into one of daddy's socks?

addictedtomn Tue 03-Nov-09 21:44:01

x-post shockers

dilemma456 Tue 03-Nov-09 21:44:51

Message withdrawn

shockers Tue 03-Nov-09 21:45:30

A 'stomp' of imaginary monsters? A 'grimace'?

shockers Tue 03-Nov-09 21:46:55

You could pop the odd sock into your pocket 'so you won't squash Sugar'.

dilemma456 Tue 03-Nov-09 21:48:30

Message withdrawn

Lionstar Tue 03-Nov-09 21:50:27

Could you develop a case of smelly feet, or a fungal nail infection - something very unpleasant for Sugar anyway, so she has no option but to move home - maybe to an odd sock, or an old glove, or even your pocket at a push

addictedtomn Tue 03-Nov-09 21:50:44

pillow sounds good if she will go for it, or do you have a dog or a cat? could it like in the dog/cat bed?

tillykins Tue 03-Nov-09 21:53:40

perhaps you could go shopping for a special sock and hang it on a radiator near the sugar bowl....as a special home for Sugar now she is getting to be a big monster?

dilemma456 Tue 03-Nov-09 21:54:04

Message withdrawn

TheLadyEvenstarsRomanCandle Tue 03-Nov-09 22:04:23

Ok here is what you need to do.

Get up now and go find a big old sock get some cotton wool and make it nice and cosy for "sugar" then put it by dd's breakfast bowl in the morning tell her you bought "Sugar" a new home/bed. and then give her a cardboard box to decorate for "sugar"

Can you tell I have done this before??? worked for us with "Sweety" hmm

RustyBear Tue 03-Nov-09 22:05:55

If Sugar has to get into the sock you are wearing,wear two pairs of socks tomorrow. Then you can take off the top one once Sugar has gone into it for the day....

YouSaidWHAT Tue 03-Nov-09 22:07:18

sorry but this is the 1st thread ive ever read on here that has truly made me laugh out loud, poor old sock monster, how could you make him homeless at a time like this, there's a recession you now

Hulababy Tue 03-Nov-09 22:09:32

Ah, lovely

Made me think of DD's old "friends" Cotcha and Bella. Sadly they seemed to move out of our home a few weeks or so after DD started reception. I miss them sometimes!

Doodleydoo Tue 03-Nov-09 22:16:23

I have an idea - how about an empty matchbox with some paper over the top so dd can colour it in, then put some lovely cotton wool with maybe a splash of mummy's perfume on it, into the box? that makes it all special and then it could go in your handbag, up to bed, be decorated and special and cosy and warm and whatever?

dilemma456 Tue 03-Nov-09 22:23:13

Message withdrawn

TheLadyEvenstarsRomanCandle Tue 03-Nov-09 22:27:21

Dilemma, lol sweety is wel n truely dead forgotten

OneLonelySock Tue 03-Nov-09 22:40:48

checks for monsters

dilemma456 Tue 03-Nov-09 22:46:12

Message withdrawn

lindsaygii Tue 03-Nov-09 22:46:33

YABU. Poor Sugar has a very simple life, and all you can think of is keeping your manky old socks to yourself. I think you should think yourself lucky to have such a lovely sockmonster living in your sock and let the poor thing out to breathe whenever DS says it's important.
I also think it's very cruel that no-one else on this thread has even tried to see it from Sugar's point of view.
Monsters have rights too, you know!!

Poor Sugar <shakes head in despair at the cruelty of a world that can only think to make a teeny tiny monster go to live in a MAN's sock - it will smell!>

dilemma456 Wed 04-Nov-09 09:53:38

Message withdrawn

edam Wed 04-Nov-09 09:59:51

Oh, poor old Sugar, moving can be so traumatic. Hopefully she will become accustomed to her new territory soon.

It's a bit of a compliment, surely, as your socks are obviously rather fragrant and attractive? grin

lindsaygii Wed 04-Nov-09 17:59:49

Hmm. The wine gums sound okay. Maybe a little chocolate button tomorrow?

I didn't mean to be overly critical, I just think it's important that we all remember that imaginary friends have feelings, too.

Schnullerbacke Wed 04-Nov-09 18:46:56

What a cute thread. But hey, at least your house is not full of 'animals'.

First we just had a black imaginary cat called Mandau (sorry, didn't check the spelling with DD). Then there were two, then we also had 2 dogs, then I had two cats and two dogs and now we just have a whole house full of animals.

I'm not allowed to put my feet under the dining table because its a cave now where 'little boy' and 'little girl' - also cats - live. I do get confused though because 'little boy' is also her brother.

Shopping and walking outside is also hard work, there are cats and dogs everywhere

dilemma your DD sounds so lovely. We have the froggies here, DD1 shares her food with them, especially treats, and they must sleep with her at night. Also Tom Thumb and Jerry, they always come to the loo with us and have to sit on the sink so they don't get wee on them!

Hope Sugar likes her new home.

TinyPawz Wed 04-Nov-09 20:50:54

OMG....the tears are rolling down my face....That is the funniest thing I have read in ages.

Can't wait til DD starts this!

StillSquiffy Wed 04-Nov-09 20:53:40

You think a sock is the biggest problem you can have?

In our house Mr Invisible sleeps on the loo so no-one is allowed to use it until he has woken up.

TheLadyEvenstarsRomanCandle Wed 04-Nov-09 21:03:01

LOL @ Mr Invisible

Mr Nobody Lived in our house when I was little....

modmum Wed 04-Nov-09 21:04:20

Thank you for making me laugh - I really needed a good laugh - haven't had one for ages.

RustyBear Wed 04-Nov-09 21:08:49

I would have suggested a 'scare of monsters' for the collective noun, but Sugar doesn't sound very scary....

TheLadyEvenstarsRomanCandle Wed 04-Nov-09 21:10:07

At the moment ds2 has ,although not invisible, iggle piggle who we have to dish dinner up for and change when he has a poo, oh and we have to cover him up at bedtime with a bottle of milk...

dilemma456 Wed 04-Nov-09 21:11:37

Message withdrawn

Feierabend Wed 04-Nov-09 21:11:59

<sigh> Our house is full of tigers and lions.

SuperBunny Wed 04-Nov-09 21:16:49

Oh, hooray. I'm not the only one with imaginary creatures. This morning, DS woke me up because 'there is a giant on the roof'. When I collected him from nursery, he had spent the day, 'chasing the bad monster and the troll' but it's ok because 'the bad monster ate the giant'

I wonder what will wake us up tomorrow

TheLadyEvenstarsRomanCandle Wed 04-Nov-09 21:17:52

Super a mini monster?

Stayingsunnygirl Wed 04-Nov-09 21:18:17

I'm sure there's a book in this.

The Mumsnet Guide to Living with Monsters and Imaginary Friends.

We don't have any monsters or imaginary friends living in our house though. I am sad and feel somewhat second class. sad

TheLadyEvenstarsRomanCandle Wed 04-Nov-09 21:21:18

SSG I could send you the woo woof that lives in my hallway if you want? or the Oooo Oooo (spider) who lives under my pillow hmm according to ds2

Stayingsunnygirl Wed 04-Nov-09 21:21:20

I've just told dh and ds2 about Sugar and her housing issues, and ds2 (aged 14) has told us that it is an imaginary monster that messes up his bedroom and strews the clean, ironed clothes all over the floor.

We do not believe him, though.

TheLadyEvenstarsRomanCandle Wed 04-Nov-09 21:22:13

oh why don't you believe him?

Stayingsunnygirl Wed 04-Nov-09 21:25:22

I don't believe him just because it seems a tad too opportunistic to me. But perhaps I am just a mean old mummy.

The woo woof from the hall would fit in well here, as we have our own woowoof who eats the wallpaper in the hall, so if you put him on a train at Euston, I'll meet him at Glasgow Central. Dh suggests the 13.30, and then he can meet the woo woof for me, and bring him home either on the local train or the bus.

WickedWitchSouthWest Wed 04-Nov-09 21:27:11

oh dilemma! This is so cute (and hilarious!).

But I want to thank you, you've given me an idea...you see my dd (3.5) keeps coming into our bed during the night because the monsters and trolls climb in through her window at night and bounce on her bed because they want to play. We've tried reasoning (monsters and trolls don't exist), humouring her (tell them to go and play somewhere else) but NOW I'm thinking she needs to befriend them, and maybe make her dolls cot available for them to sleep in

I too think there's a mn guide book in this!

Thank you grin

TheLadyEvenstarsRomanCandle Wed 04-Nov-09 21:28:18

SSG, am glad you have a woowoof my one draws on the walls and opens the dishwasher hmm personally i think it is ds2 (2yrs) but he insists it is woowoof.

And yes you are a mean ole mummy not believing it is the monster messing ds's bedroom up!

TheLadyEvenstarsRomanCandle Wed 04-Nov-09 21:29:25

Dilemma, did you give her the box to decorate??

SuperBunny Wed 04-Nov-09 21:29:38

Oh, I DO want a mini-monster. All ours are a bit big and noisy. DS says, "Close your eyes, mummy" and then shouts "BOOOOOM... Oooh, mummy, what's that? Did you hear it? The giant is on the roof again"

HinnyPet Wed 04-Nov-09 21:30:24

We have spiders here that live on DD's hands. Mummy spider on the left and baby spider on the right, the trouble they get her into! hmm grin!
Think Sugar sounds like a lovely monster, you should see if she would like a Sugar Daddy

SuperBunny Wed 04-Nov-09 21:32:11

Oh wwsw, what a good idea. Reasoning and humouring just isn't enough, sometimes

TheLadyEvenstarsRomanCandle Wed 04-Nov-09 21:32:44

lmao its great the way dc find these imaginary friends...

TheDailyWail Wed 04-Nov-09 21:33:29

I'm so glad this isn't in chat.

<clicks Watch this thread>

TheLadyEvenstarsRomanCandle Wed 04-Nov-09 21:34:05

why whats wrong with chat lol

WickedWitchSouthWest Wed 04-Nov-09 21:38:23

grin SOMETHING has to work! I need my sleep!

dilemma456 Wed 04-Nov-09 21:39:55

Message withdrawn

TheLadyEvenstarsRomanCandle Wed 04-Nov-09 21:42:55

Dilemma - Sugar wants to gain knowledge of your job so that dd can be taught!!!! use your imagination woman!!! lol wink

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 04-Nov-09 21:45:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheLadyEvenstarsRomanCandle Wed 04-Nov-09 21:46:27

SGM your mum must have a big strong car!!

WickedWitchSouthWest Wed 04-Nov-09 21:47:42

This is all very useful, thank you very much I'm also very pleased that this appears to be a normal "stage" and my dd isn't a sociopath in the making biscuit

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 04-Nov-09 21:48:11

TheLadyEvenstarsRomanCandle Wed 04-Nov-09 21:48:49

DS1 used to have a little girl who followed him around and pulled the washing down, turned the tv on in the morning, oh and left the taps running.

TheDailyWail Wed 04-Nov-09 21:50:54

LadyEvenstar - Chat only lasts for 90 days. I've a feeling that I'd like to revisit this thread.

normanthehairdresser Wed 04-Nov-09 21:55:22

Is your DD any relation to my son (3.5)?

I'm rather missing Cubitts, the imaginary monster who liked to eat stripy socks - and then moved on, somewhat embarassingly, to stripy pants ... He hasn't been around lately.

We'd better make sure he doesn't get to meet Sugar, it would never do for her house to get EATEN!

Any chance of Sugar learning to breathe through the holes in your sock?

normanthehairdresser Wed 04-Nov-09 21:58:21

PS as far as I can see this stage is both normal and delightful! Enjoy!

DD is only 2.4 and we already have a tiger in the house. He generally lives on DD's bed, sometimes in our room, and he goes to work during the day at the library. He is called Thunder.

She's only two. I fear this will evolve into the dizzying heights of sock monster and his ilk as time goes on.

dilemma456 Wed 04-Nov-09 22:20:23

Message withdrawn

dilemma456 Wed 04-Nov-09 22:26:28

Message withdrawn

DontHauntMeBaby Wed 04-Nov-09 22:50:13

We a 'NORMOUS family of 'imagination friends' at one point, they kept having babies. There were about fourteen of them by the time they faded away, the only name I can remember is Tallulah. Fortunately they were quite easy to live with, as they were rarely all in the house at the same time.

pruneplus2 Wed 04-Nov-09 22:59:48

My DD's imaginary friend didnt want to play with her and moved to Scotland with his mother apparently.

The mind boggles with kids sometimes. Mind you, I was pretty pleased. He was a little distruptive at times.

Stayingsunnygirl Thu 05-Nov-09 09:27:27

I agree with Thedailywail - this thread is much better here, so we can come back to it and smile again.

TLES - is the woowoof coming up to Scotland - you see I have a shoebox ready and waiting, and need to get on with decorating it, if the woowoof will be arriving soon....

TheLadyEvenstarsRomanCandle Fri 06-Nov-09 14:31:00

SSG, WooWoof wouldn't fit in a shoebox!!!! he is sitting on top of my freezer atm and its a chest freezer!!

How is sugar baring up in her new home?

TAFKAAAAAARGHtheUrbanDryad Fri 06-Nov-09 14:42:44

Not quite in the spirit of the thread, but I read a fantastic article in Fortean Times a while back about "Non Corporeal Companions" or Invizikids - it seemed to suggest that there's a lot goes on that kids can see that we can't.

Ds has a horse called Moo. hmm Sometimes it lives in his wardrobe and sometimes he's scared of it in the night. I used to have 2 imaginary friends Non Corporeal Companions called Priscilla and Mark, who were brother and sister, and their parents were divorced. Very strange.

dilemma456 Fri 06-Nov-09 16:09:47

Message withdrawn

whomovedmychocolatecookie Fri 06-Nov-09 20:40:29

Now you didn't mention Sugar was pregnant. YABU to force relocation on a pregnant mummy monster. However will she breastfeed if you force her to be separate from her mini-monster by not providing adequate shelter.

Have a heart woman. Do you not have an elderly lingering welly the entire family could move into? grin

TheLadyEvenstarsRomanCandle Fri 06-Nov-09 20:46:55

Dilemma, woowoof has been with us about 8 months now...he is called Immy....and DS2 keeps saying "Mamma, Grandad dere n Immy"

I wouldn't mind so much but my Dad died 6 years ago and my dog Timmy had to be put to sleep 18m before that!

gorionine Fri 06-Nov-09 20:49:55

I have got a stack of single socks (do not know how I always end up with onehmm. Your Dd can have them for her monsters if she wants!grin

nikkid21 Fri 06-Nov-09 21:11:57

How come all of your monsters have sweet names and good natures? envy
We have had Tiffany & Chelsea, and currently Momo.
Tiffany and Chelsea seemed to be evil twins who want only the most vile, pink glitter covered tat from Claires. When dd was 3 'Tiffany' put a necklace in my handbag while we were in Topshop that I only found when getting my purse out to pay at the till.

Momo is still around even though dd is 5.5 and has just decided that he does not like meat. Now dd will only eat fish because that is what Momo has told her to do. (I play along most of the time but have stomped on this one quite hard)

DD's best friend also still has her monster and all 4 of them get together on playdates. It's a special sort of hell grin

TheLadyEvenstarsRomanCandle Fri 06-Nov-09 21:17:59

LOL I have piders as well (spiders to you and me)

Sbeanmum Fri 06-Nov-09 21:23:03

Oh I love this whole post! Brightened my evening, laughing out loud and hoping for sock monster to cohabit with when DD is older!

TheLadyEvenstarsRomanCandle Fri 06-Nov-09 21:28:28

Sbeanmum....you say that now but you wait!!

dilemma456 Sat 07-Nov-09 08:28:53

Message withdrawn

Sbeanmum Sat 07-Nov-09 21:37:29

Might have to buy a bigger bag ...... does your DD have a little rucksack for the baby monster(s) to live in? After all, while sock monster is on mat leave, she won't be going to work with you, will she?

Oh no, can see too much logic there, will never work will it?

<bookmarking thread for future reference>

bronze Sat 07-Nov-09 21:45:27

do sock monsters use slings?

dilemma456 Sat 07-Nov-09 21:46:56

Message withdrawn

Sbeanmum Sat 07-Nov-09 22:53:22

Go shopping!!! Lol

bronze Sat 07-Nov-09 23:05:38

Do monsters have litters?

Stayingsunnygirl Sat 07-Nov-09 23:15:12

Quads - wow!! But should the babies be eating sugar this early? What is the current advice on weaning sock monsters? I presume Sugar is an advocate of MLW (Monster-Led Weaning). grin

TheLadyEvenstarsRomanCandle Sun 08-Nov-09 10:32:24

Dilemma I am a bit concerned about the sugar intake of the babies!

dilemma456 Sun 08-Nov-09 11:34:16

Message withdrawn

TheLadyEvenstarsRomanCandle Sun 08-Nov-09 11:40:14

LOL Dilemma. You are going to have to buy a cheap decent handbag and explain to DD that your bag is too heavy with all these monsters in there. Then hang said bag somewhere warm for all the monsters to live. letting them out and into the sugar bowl of an evening!

bronze Sun 08-Nov-09 12:10:28

handbag? she'll need a suitcase at this rate

dilemma456 Sun 08-Nov-09 14:04:37

Message withdrawn

TheLadyEvenstarsRomanCandle Sun 08-Nov-09 14:29:44

oh now sock monsters can get pregnant quite frequently if i remember correctly...... like once a week

dilemma456 Sun 08-Nov-09 15:51:47

Message withdrawn

RustyBear Sun 08-Nov-09 16:01:01

What is the sock monster Dad doing in all this? Is he taking any responsibility for his children, or has he just buggered off to the pub syrup tin?

Stayingsunnygirl Sun 08-Nov-09 19:03:04

Lets hope that whatever maintenance he pays will cover their dental care!

TheLadyEvenstarsRomanCandle Sun 08-Nov-09 19:26:22

TUT Don't you lot know anything???
SOCK MONSTERS DON'T NEED A DAD TO GET PREGNANT!!!!!!

Stayingsunnygirl Sun 08-Nov-09 23:12:09

blush

TheLadyEvenstarsRomanCandle Sun 08-Nov-09 23:28:41

See this is where I am good....I know about sock monsters!!!

Stayingsunnygirl Sun 08-Nov-09 23:31:05

You are a fount of sockmonster knowledge. I hope that, when mumsnet come to write the Mumsnet Guide to Sock Monsters (and other imaginary creatures) that you are fully consulted and credited!

TheLadyEvenstarsRomanCandle Sun 08-Nov-09 23:51:42

SSG, DS1 had a whole host of imaginary friends

lowrib Mon 09-Nov-09 00:18:51

DP says it's a 'Roar of monsters' smile

TheLadyEvenstarsRomanCandle Mon 09-Nov-09 00:27:19

Lowrib....tell dp he is a clever boy and gets a gold star lol..... btw whats his sock monster called cos he must have one!!!

lowrib Mon 09-Nov-09 00:51:30

We do have a sock monster, as it happens grin MIL made it for us.

I am ashamed to say it is as yet unnamed blush

lowrib Mon 09-Nov-09 01:02:14

I should explain, our sock monster isn't of the imaginary variety I'm afraid (DS is too young to let us know if we have any of those yet, I'll have to wait and see)

Our sock monster looks uncannily like a stripy sock with googley eyes stick on.

Thanks for the lovely gold star TheLadyEvenstarsRomanCand... grin

dilemma456 Mon 09-Nov-09 09:48:08

Message withdrawn

dilemma456 Tue 04-May-10 11:23:08

Message withdrawn

stoppinattwo Tue 04-May-10 11:27:54

Perhaps it was for the best?? sad

Sugar had a happy life smile

Poor DD...give her a hug XXXX

I do remember Sugar, with a great deal of fondness, and am very sad to hear of her passing. Please pass my condolences on to her family, and to her beloved friend, your dd.

WineBeforePearls Tue 04-May-10 11:35:44

Awww. Sorry for Sugar's demise.

My dd (3) has a tribe of her own, most in her room. The 3 main monsters' mummy and daddy went to Africa and 'died in the sea', but miraculously twin baby brothers have recently arrived. It's getting quite tricky carrying them all out of her bedroom at bedtime confused.

dilemma456 Thu 22-Jul-10 21:13:02

Message withdrawn

This is why imaginary monsters are all moved to my armpit, they get fresh air eveytime I reach for something yet it is warm and moist enough for them to thrive.

Damnit, I should always read the last few posts and check the date.

I am sorry for your loss.

Couldn't you tuck a tiny torch into your sock, so that Lollipop needn't be in the dark?

I have 2 sock monsters living here now they belong to DS2 and are called BLUE and PURPLE

StewieGriffinsMom Thu 22-Jul-10 22:04:09

TheLadyOfTheGreenKirtle Thu 22-Jul-10 22:06:05

ah, ds currently has a dinosaur called Carr who is 5 and lives under his wardrobe.

carr is orange and has little arms but a long tail.

SGM yes lol we believe it isn't "our dragon" wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now