naked toddlers showering at the public swimming pool

(210 Posts)
Danthe4th Mon 19-Oct-09 21:25:43

At our local swimming pool it is glass sided and the showers are in full few of the veiwing area, and the car park at a push.

I take my 4 year old for his swimming lessons on a wednesday morning, they also have the mums and tots class. I sit watching my sons class and the previous class are using the showers.

Why do mums strip their children off so they shower naked. I'm at the point when i'm going to say something, but do I say it to mum or management.Several children do this.

There are often workmen, strangers, dads whoever wondering about. I just don't think its necessary to strip children naked, why can mums not leave their costumes on.

I find myself scanning the area to see if anyone is looking, it just worries me.Am I being unreasonable.

Danthe4th Mon 19-Oct-09 21:27:20

thats full view of the viewing area

Lulumama Mon 19-Oct-09 21:27:26

i think it is so very sad to see other dads and men in general as perveted paedos who need to be kept away from young children

YABU and it is such a shame that men arelumped together as one amorphous mass of child abusers

MillyR Mon 19-Oct-09 21:27:30

Mine would play in the paddling pool and the surrounding area in the park naked when they were toddlers.

Why on earth does it matter?

Meglet Mon 19-Oct-09 21:27:42

They are toddlers. It doesn't matter. Mums are probably trying to get all the chlorine off their skin.

hester Mon 19-Oct-09 21:28:39

What worries you specifically, Danthe4th? What would you say to mum or management is the problem? Is this about protecting the children, or something else?

I'm not having a go, just trying to understand what is worrying you about this.

Lulumama Mon 19-Oct-09 21:28:41

if you had said that you had seen strange men taking pics on a camera phone or digital camera, then you would not be unreasonable

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Mon 19-Oct-09 21:28:54

YABU. Why should toddlers not be naked for a shower - so what if there are builders, workmen around? And do you mean workmen or general workers male and female? dads? why not? If its a problem, why not mothers and fathers? and why should mum's leave their children's costumes on? Suggesting dads do not take their children swimming?

A wind up, surely, or at the very least not well thought through hmm

PacificWerewolfwoohood Mon 19-Oct-09 21:28:58

IMVHO, YABU - well, a bit. I think we worry about this kind of thing too much. Most people are not paedophiles.
I just hate the anxious/paranoid society I am living in - sorry, one of my bugbears: don't get me started on Health and Safety madness.

Anyway, ignore me, I am lose moralled continental European wink.

<<climbs off soap box>>

ruddynorah Mon 19-Oct-09 21:29:18

you're being ridiculous.

emkana Mon 19-Oct-09 21:29:33

ya def bu

I agree that it's awful to assume that any man must be a potential child abuser.

And even if there was the odd one with horrible thoughts in his head, I personally would feel it doesn't matter? No actual harm is done to the children?

Agree with the others. What would be your reaction to seeing a naked toddler on the beach? Not that their parents should make them wear a costume, I hope. This is no different.

Toddlers can be on the beach naked, can't they? So why not at the swimming pool?

(not in the swimming pool, but that's only cos I don't trust their bladder control)

LIZS Mon 19-Oct-09 21:29:58

yabu , get a sense of proportion

morningpaper Mon 19-Oct-09 21:30:20

YABU and mad

inveteratenamechanger Mon 19-Oct-09 21:31:25

YABVU to assume that every man who is not directly related to a child is a potential pervert.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Mon 19-Oct-09 21:31:37

What on earth is wrong with showering a child naked to get the chlorine off them while their mother / father / whoever is taking them to their swimming lesson is with them?

I honestly don't see the problem

Ivykaty44 Mon 19-Oct-09 21:31:49

yabu shock

ThePinkOne Mon 19-Oct-09 21:32:50

Considering a recent news story surely naked toddlers showering in an all-female changing room would be just as worrying but you seem to be focussing on men being... what actually? Some kind of threat?

Danthe4th Mon 19-Oct-09 21:34:01

Its about protecting the children hester, recently a friend was followed for over a mile by a strange man at the same pool and its just got me worried, i've been on some recent safeguarding children courses and have read too much maybe, but I still don't think it's necessary.

MsSpentYouth Mon 19-Oct-09 21:34:13

Sorry but I am with OP, I wouldn't feel comfortable with it.

Don't get me wrong, I see nothing wrong with nekidness, it would just concern me that if it was that easy to see in then if someone did take a fancy to looking they could just loiter around.

I would take it to the swimming pool and ask them to make it a bit more private.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Mon 19-Oct-09 21:34:56

Its a wind up. Course it is. Or some media type fishing on views of male/female paedophilia, stereotpying.

'There are often workmen, strangers, dads whoever wondering about'

Danthe4th Mon 19-Oct-09 21:36:28

There is no changing room the showers are directly next to the pool its all open plan and can be seen from outside. You then go to a cubicle. Every pool is different I know but our newish one is very open.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Mon 19-Oct-09 21:36:38

danthe4th so what about females? mothers? what about the woman who worked in a nursery who abused children? Why are you concerned specifically about men thats what I do not get.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now