Breast or leg?

(109 Posts)
mrsruffallo Sun 27-Sep-09 21:44:25

I often go to a chicken restaurant with a friend who quickly claims the breast off the platter. I am always left with the leg. AIBU /petty to be annoyed?

YABU for going to a chicken restaurant.

mrsruffallo Sun 27-Sep-09 21:47:00

Eh?

SardineQueen Sun 27-Sep-09 21:50:42

Hope it's free range grin

I prefer the leg myself anyway.

If she always does it why don't you say something?

Sorry, I can't stand em. WAs it Nando's?

I prefer leg, fwiw.

pointydoug Sun 27-Sep-09 21:53:36

A chocken restaurant? What is that? KFC?

SardineQueen Sun 27-Sep-09 21:58:07

Don't get platters in KFC though. Not that i know anything about KFC, obviously.

I am interested too. Please tell us restaurant name!

mrsruffallo Sun 27-Sep-09 22:02:48

Is it legal to say?
Anway, would you just tell her you don't like it or would you seem barmy?

pointydoug Sun 27-Sep-09 22:10:06

goodness. How many chicken restaurants are there? I have never seen one

pointydoug Sun 27-Sep-09 22:10:55

But why aren't you becoming quicker at grabbing the breast if you go often?

What's up with your fingers?

greensnail Sun 27-Sep-09 22:12:45

I prefer the leg. Could you order seperately next time, instead of sharing a platter?

mrsruffallo Sun 27-Sep-09 22:13:32

Maybe I could distract her and grab the breast

FatFree Sun 27-Sep-09 22:15:26

Legs and thighs for me, hate breast, it always tastes dry!

pointydoug Sun 27-Sep-09 22:16:29

You don't need to distract her. You must knowher routine by now.

Plate arrives, you say 'oo I'm starving' while leaning over and grabbing some of the breast and a bit of leg while you're at it.

Do you have your own plates in these 'chicken restaurants'?

GeekIsGood Sun 27-Sep-09 22:17:32

Of course it's legal to say. You're not making slanderous suggestions about the restaurant, you're making them about your friend!

I can only think of KFC and Chicken Cottage. And I don't know if the latter is a chain, I've only ever seen one in Edinburgh.

pointydoug Sun 27-Sep-09 22:19:05

Cgicken Cottage?! In Edinburgh?! You jest. How bizarre

mrsruffallo Sun 27-Sep-09 22:19:31

Yes, on plates. She takes it just before the waitress lays the platter on the table

SardineQueen Sun 27-Sep-09 22:19:47

I went to nandos once. It was horrible.

If it is there YABU as it's horrid.

Is it there?

And as for the problem at hand - can't you wait a few more times until you have built yourself up into an irrational frenzy about the whole thing, then when she grabs the breast scream at the top of your voice "you selfish bitch what is the matter with you? what is the matter with you? did your parents teach you no manners? I would like some breast thank you very much but by god there;s no way you'd let me have any is there you evil evil cow" then chuck a glass of wine in her face and storm out.

Alternatively order individual dishes "for a change" rather than a platter...

mrsruffallo Sun 27-Sep-09 22:19:58

Never heard of chicken cottage, it sounds foul

Firawla Sun 27-Sep-09 22:20:33

order something seperately then

GeekIsGood Sun 27-Sep-09 22:20:41

YABU for going to a chicken restaurant anyway, I should have said. What are the chances this chicken has been reared in a decent environment?

Do you really want to eat this rubbish? Not good for you, your greedy friend or the chicken. Only good for the chicken restaurant owner.

Apart from that, why can't you just say to your friend, oy I want that bit this time?

mrsruffallo Sun 27-Sep-09 22:20:56

Platters cheaper

groundhogs Sun 27-Sep-09 22:22:01

If it's a platter that you share... then only buy a half, so you each have your own plate.

If she says anything, then just say, I fancy a bit of breast too, and I notice that's all you seem to like to eat, so don't want to take it out of your mouth etc etc....

Is it somewhere that rhymes with Landos? grin

pointydoug Sun 27-Sep-09 22:22:08

Before the waitress puts the platter down? Has she got claws and fangs too?

What a grubber.

Just say you want to try a bit of the breast. I think the time has come to be direct

pointydoug Sun 27-Sep-09 22:22:40

lol @ sardien'e suggestion

cheesesarnie Sun 27-Sep-09 22:22:41

yabu.go veggie.grin

lmao @ sardinequeen's outburst suggestion!

cheesesarnie Sun 27-Sep-09 22:23:57

SardineQueen i think you are fabgrin

GeekIsGood Sun 27-Sep-09 22:24:30

Pointydoug (are you the same as Pointydog?) is it bizarre because you're never heard of it or because you don't believe there is one in Edinburgh?

Because it's there on Queen Street, sadly. And it never has any customers so I don't know how it keeps going.

SardineQueen Sun 27-Sep-09 22:25:50

I think my option 1 is the only obvious resolution to this.

My parents had a friend who used to come round all the time and expecially on sundays while my mum was cooking sunday lunch. When the meat came out she would start picking bits off it and snaffling them while my mum was still fiddling with all the other stuff [hhm]

She moved away - maybe to mrsruffalo's neck of the woods?

I think you have to say something. Or put up with it.

It would get on my tits too though I have to say.

greensnail Sun 27-Sep-09 22:26:08

Ooooh I used to love Chicken Cottage when i was a student blush

mrsruffallo Sun 27-Sep-09 22:28:59

I feel like slapping her hand ans shouting 'share!' so SQ may not be far off.

You get two breast portions, two leg portions.

She takes both breasts at the same time.

SardineQueen Sun 27-Sep-09 22:29:05

OOh I am popular!

<preen>

Well on this thread anyway...

Info for the chicken cottage afficionados - there was one near me in NL, now closed down. It looked pretty rancid. Mainly served college students. I can't imagine a pair of MNers going there for a top evening out TBH...

GeekIsGood Sun 27-Sep-09 22:29:10

Were you a student in Edinburgh Greensnail? Still don't know if this abomination has spread to other cities.

greensnail Sun 27-Sep-09 22:31:29

No I was in London. I think it probably started in London to be honest and then has branched out from there.

GeekIsGood Sun 27-Sep-09 22:31:45

Oh I see so it has. Where is NL? Netherlands?

Anyway so as not to keep digressing, OP is BU simply by being in a 'chicken restaurant', never mind because she does not have the balls to demand breasts.

grin

SardineQueen Sun 27-Sep-09 22:32:24

I think you need to link to the item on the actual menu so that we can all have a good look at it.

It's not slander or anything as you are saying it's nice. Or at least I assume you like it, otherwise why keep going there.

Can you suggest another eaterie to your friend? One which doesn't do platters?

traceybath Sun 27-Sep-09 22:33:11

Before you order - say 'this time I don't want to do a platter because I only like the breast and have noticed you do too so lets order separately'.

Your friend is being incredibly rude so I would pay the extra money and not have to share.

This is why I hate sharing food when out for dinner. Its like the people who don't want chips but then proceed to eat those that you ordered. Stop it - order your own bloody chips. The calories still count even when they're not on your plate.

ZephirineDrouhin Sun 27-Sep-09 22:33:32

There's a Chicken Cottage near me in South London too. I always have to avert my eyes when I'm passing it. The name conjures up terrible images of our feathered friends doing unspeakable things in public conveniences.

GeekIsGood Sun 27-Sep-09 22:34:40

<Pretending not to recognise London automatically as the source of all things>

So, NL. NeverLand, yeah?

SardineQueen Sun 27-Sep-09 22:34:44

Oh sorry geek I am being a twat. I wrote where i live then thought better of it, so changed it to NL north london.

Apologies for random londoncentricness there blush I do realise that there are other places in the country, honest.

SardineQueen Sun 27-Sep-09 22:36:26

And it takes me so long to type I was calling myself a twat before the second prod grin

mrsruffallo Sun 27-Sep-09 22:36:52

What's wrong with a chicken restaurant?

greensnail Sun 27-Sep-09 22:38:02

Is Nandos like posh KFC then? I've never been.

GeekIsGood Sun 27-Sep-09 22:39:24

I did figure it out SQ, am being awkward, as usual.

You are welcome to Chicken Cottage! grin

GeekIsGood Sun 27-Sep-09 22:42:03

Mrsriffallo because as I (and possibly others have) said it's unlikely the chicken being served in a chicken restaurant had a happy healthy life.

TeeteringOnTheEdge Sun 27-Sep-09 22:45:25

Lets take the chicken out of this.

It's the same as going to a steak house, ordering a platter and your mate nabs the two fillets, and your left the "stewing steak".

WTF is a chicken restaurant though? KFC?

pointydoug Sun 27-Sep-09 22:59:33

I hav never heard of chicken cottage, geek

pointydoug Sun 27-Sep-09 23:02:00

What's wrong with a chicken restaurant?

Well, why would you get a restuarant that only serves chicken and, to top it all, calls itself Chcikcn Cottage?

MrsMerryHenry Sun 27-Sep-09 23:04:31

You should thank your friend. Breast is highly overrated - dry and tasteless compared with a good, juicy leg. Mmm...<<licks chops>>

Agree that cheap chicken is not a good thing.

greensnail Sun 27-Sep-09 23:05:45

Don't think op was in Chicken Cottage. You don't get waitress service in there unless you are a very good customer grin

mrsruffallo Sun 27-Sep-09 23:15:16

not cheap either

GeekIsGood Sun 27-Sep-09 23:15:38

I always picture a cottage made of chicken walls, with roof thatched with chicken feathers. with a beak as a door bell.

It's not a good image.

greensnail Sun 27-Sep-09 23:22:01

Its so wrong, but I fancy some chicken cottage now hmm

ToffeeCrumble Sun 27-Sep-09 23:55:38

Croydon has a Chicken Cottage, a Nandos and a KFC. <<<Proud emoticon>>>

I would wait until she has helped herself as usual, then distract her and grab her breast.

SardineQueen Sun 27-Sep-09 23:58:22

Digging your style toffeecrumble.

That approach should yield results. What they will be though, who can say... grin

SardineQueen Sun 27-Sep-09 23:59:25

Oh you meant grab her breast <off her plate>???

Whoops. I prefer my original reading of the post though grin

ToffeeCrumble Mon 28-Sep-09 00:03:18

ToffeeCrumble Mon 28-Sep-09 00:08:23

I think the best approach would be to try and make her want leg meat instead. Talk about how delicious it is. Maybe let her fondle your leg a bit.

TheHeadbangingWombat Mon 28-Sep-09 01:03:08

I want to try Chicken Cottage because they do lamb chop meals.There are at least two of them in Glasgow.

I'll pass on the chicken though I think. And the legs are the best part, besides the wings imho.

Well your friend may take the two breast portions MrsR, but unless she spits on both of them immediately you have plenty of time to spear one of them off her plate with an "Ooh, I fancy some breast too you grasping cow.

nappyaddict Mon 28-Sep-09 01:53:32

I love Nandos. How can you call it horrible!!

Geek Chicken in normal restaurants isn't likely to be free range either though. In fact neither will the eggs and possibly the beef and pork.

ZacharyQuack Mon 28-Sep-09 05:48:19

Tell her all the growth hormones and antibiotics are concentrated in the breast meat.

Think the only solution would be to bring SardineQueen along with you next time.

GeekIsGood Mon 28-Sep-09 08:00:30

No I know nappy I just mean it's pretty much guaranteed not to be in a fast food chain type restaurant.

I'm veggie anyway!

QuintessentialShadow Mon 28-Sep-09 08:04:51

mrsruffalo, the platter may be cheaper, but your friend is consistantly picking up the more expensive cut of meat, while you are left with the bony leg. So it aint cheaper for YOU, just for her....

QuintessentialShadow Mon 28-Sep-09 08:06:28

In fact, why dont you just say "lets order individual platters this time, I fancy trying some of their chicken breasts, as I have had the leg so many times now"

and see what she says?

GeekIsGood Mon 28-Sep-09 08:09:45

Do we know which restaurant it was yet? I need to be able to picture the scene.

Just say to your friend while you're waiting for the poultry plate 'Mmm I'm looking forward to a nice juicy breast' and if she still goes ahead and nabs it first, suggest counselling.

GetOrfMoiLand Mon 28-Sep-09 08:13:05

OP - your friend is a cheeky cow. Taking both chicken breasts at the same time before the waitress puts the plate on the table - she knows what she is up to. Brazen hussy grin.

Nnext time you go, have a different flavour than her. And order separately. So then if she tries to nick the chicken breast you can be upfront and say, er, actually that's mine.

Or stab her with your fork when she goes for the breast, actually that's what I would do with such a selfish friend.

GetOrfMoiLand Mon 28-Sep-09 08:14:06

I reckon it is Nandos. Laughing at Chicken Cottage, what a name for a restaurant grin

LoveBeingAMummy Mon 28-Sep-09 08:19:15

What a greedy, selfish person you are eating with. Is she like this in other ways?

Get a double pitta next time (its got two breasts in it) or you could just lean over and take one back off her plate grin

LoveBeingAMummy Mon 28-Sep-09 08:20:19

Got a better idea if she doesn't like it to hot, you go and order and get the extra hot one then sit back and watch!

GeekIsGood Mon 28-Sep-09 08:27:34

Have been wondering about Chicken Cottage so looked at their website.

<nothing better to do emoticon>

Their slogan is Chicken You Can Trust.

Never trust a chicken, I say. They're even worse than cows. Those beady eyes...

GetOrfMoiLand Mon 28-Sep-09 08:34:57

I wouldn't trust sheep (was chased by a flock of sheep through a field once, was ridiculously frightening)

GeekIsGood Mon 28-Sep-09 08:42:37

I wonder what the general view on the trustworthiness of pigs is.

nappyaddict Mon 28-Sep-09 10:44:18

Ah I see, I wouldn't call a restaurant with waitress service a fast food place. For me that's KFC, Burger King, McDonalds, Wimpy, Dominoes etc. But anyway I have worked in chain restaurants and they are pretty much guaranteed to not have free range stuff either.

mrsruffallo Mon 28-Sep-09 11:00:31

We have the chicken extra hot, that should give a you a clue.
As for the origins of the food- well, goodness me, it's only chicken!

I do need to tackle this don't I?
She is very kind in lots of ways but is just a bit greedy around food (for example, she shovels crisps in her mouth, and pushes in a queue for a buffet. She did it at my son's b'day party and I heard my MIL say to her "don't worry dear, there's plenty to go round blush)

GeekIsGood Mon 28-Sep-09 11:07:20

It's only chicken? hmm

Is she breastfeeding?
I feel like grabbing food sometimes with the bf hunger.
I don't do it though.
Wow.
You are some kind of angelic tolerant friend.

nappyaddict Mon 28-Sep-09 11:09:17

If it is Nandos then they don't use free range chicken, they use barn-reared ones. They also don't use chicken that have had antibiotics, growth hormones or non-GM feed.

woozlet Mon 28-Sep-09 11:13:46

You could just stop going to nandos with her?

GetOrfMoiLand Mon 28-Sep-09 11:13:51

Mrs R - yes, you do need t otackle it, she is being very rude. Order the mango and lime next time and then cover it with XXX hot sauce.

Cannot believe she has such bad manners. next time you go say that you want to have a breast and a leg each. If she looks at you a bit strangely go to Prezzo or somewhere else instead and have food on your pwn plates grin

The only way to deal with selfish greedy people like this is to stop making it easy for them ie don't eat with them in 'sharing' situations. Order separately ie say you fancy something different (such as the chicken breast roll or whatever). If she has the nerve to complain and try to pressure you into ordering the same as usual, you might actually end up having to say 'But you hog all the best bits, that's why I don't want to do it that way'.

Stigaloid Mon 28-Sep-09 11:25:14

I would say something. "I'd like a chicken breast too please. Why don't we have one breast and one leg each?"

I would say this before ordering and if she complains make her order her own plate and you do the same.

ZacharyQuack Mon 28-Sep-09 12:13:32

I would say "Can I have one of those breasts please?" and hold out your plate and smile expectantly.

claw3 Mon 28-Sep-09 12:24:15

Stab her hand with your fork

SardineQueen Mon 28-Sep-09 12:41:34

I like toffeecrumbles approach of grabbing her breast and fondling her leg.

Catching her totally unawares like that may lead her to forget to snare the chicken breast, so you can get in there and snaffle it all yourself.

You may have to sleep with her afterwards though.

mrsruffallo Mon 28-Sep-09 14:22:31

Don't know if I am quite that desperate for a breast SQ

SardineQueen Mon 28-Sep-09 15:11:25

grin

pointydoug Mon 28-Sep-09 18:27:11

Pigs are certainly trustworthy.

Pigs got personality and personality goes a long way.

greensnail Mon 28-Sep-09 20:08:20

I've always found sheep very trustworthy myself.

Agree that chickens are not to be trusted though, they often seem to be plotting something.

mrsruffalo YABU to have had this happen "often" and yet to be so 'chicken' about it that you haven't challenged your greedy friend once yet on her breast addiction. And to keep going back with her and ordering more platters knowing what will happen? There's no excuse eally.

SardineQueen Mon 28-Sep-09 21:36:54

Loving the way this thread keeps going and going grin

mrsR have you come to a conclusion yet?

Are you a lover (breast n leg) or a fighter (abuse and wine throwing)?

Are you able to fork out another couple of quid to avoid this playing itself out time and time again?

Or will you simply take the bull by the horns and tell her?

GeekIsGood Mon 28-Sep-09 21:46:49

When is the next chicken date?

When are we going to find out which technique you are going to use to defeat your friend and claim the breast OP?

mrsruffallo Tue 29-Sep-09 18:09:44

Weare meeting on next Tuesday
OMDB- I have let it go and go as she insists that the leg is the expensive and desirable part, and that she is being magnanimous letting me have it .
That's why I sought further opinion here

EverySingleStar Tue 29-Sep-09 18:18:42

Toffee, I'm with you on the proud Croydon emoticon grin

But you left one out! WE have a new spanking chicken 'restaurant' hmm it's called Chick'n Box I think, right next to East Croydon station and...Waitrose shock

Was larfing my arse off when I saw it go up next to the new posh waitrose grin

SardineQueen Tue 29-Sep-09 18:19:32

Pfff. Breast is more expensive than leg isn't it? Personally I prefer the leg - but she is clearly being an arse.

I think you need to spend an extra couple of quid to get separate things next time.

We will want an update after tuesday smile

EverySingleStar Tue 29-Sep-09 18:19:38

Apologies for the heavy use of smiley's btw....

greensnail Tue 29-Sep-09 20:38:45

Well then its easy. Just tell her you feel bad getting the leg all the time while she has to make do with the inferior breast hmm Tell her you won't be able to sleep unless she gets both legs this time as a special treat for being such a wonderful friend.

Looking forward to tuesday's update. Who knew a chicken related dilemma could be this gripping? wink

ToffeeCrumble Wed 30-Sep-09 22:35:30

I wouldn't spend too long brooding on it OP. There is no point being chicken about it or letting her egg you on to take the leg meat. Have it out with her and tell her the chickens have now come home to roost and it is time for you to have your fair share of breast. Don't let her henpeck you. She is being a bit of a cock about it to be honest.

ToffeeCrumble Wed 30-Sep-09 22:39:29

EverySingleStar. I didn't know about the new Waitrose and chicken place. I used to live and work there but now have moved and just go there for shopping. I went there a couple of weekends ago and used E Croy station so must have passed the new places, but I have my head in the clouds most of the time so didn't notice them!

onebatmother Fri 02-Oct-09 14:22:34

I am late to this lovely thread but MP put it in the roundup so I'm going to revive it.

Does your freakazoid friend really go in with BOTH hands before the waitress has even put the platter <shiver> down on the table?

Mein gott.

I think you need to be prepared next time, perhaps with some kind of wearable mechanical contraption that would give you two (say) extra arms. Maybe backpack based. You would then have a technical advantage in any future fried-chicken face-off.

onebatmother Fri 02-Oct-09 14:27:08

MrsR
 aws1.jpg his will solve your problem whilst also ticking your style and beauty boxes.

onebatmother Fri 02-Oct-09 14:27:46

buggery  aws1.jpg his not that.

onebatmother Fri 02-Oct-09 14:28:30

oh bollocking arses.

aws1.jpgTHIS!!!

God!

onebatmother Fri 02-Oct-09 14:29:15

dyou know what I think I'll move on.

No, it was good though.

http://krisabel.ctv.ca/image.axd?picture=\2006\10\claws1.jpg

greensnail Tue 06-Oct-09 22:10:00

So was the chicken date this evening? How did you get on? Did you get your hands on any breast?

pointyhat Tue 06-Oct-09 22:12:23

lol @ onebat

TheGreatPumpkinPudding Tue 06-Oct-09 22:30:56

LOL at at GetOrfMoiLand's being chased by a flock of angry sheep grin I laughed so loudly that dd came into the room to see what the joke was.

What an image. That's going to stay with me and make me giggle at odd times <wipes eyes>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now