to think that all 4-d scans look the same?

(66 Posts)
HeadFairy Fri 11-Sep-09 15:10:18

Am I missing something? They all look identical. Has anyone had one and been able to actually say "ooh doesn't he look like grandpa?" or "he's got your nose" or something like that?

My friend just showed me the dvd of her 4d scan and it looked just like every other 4-d scan I've ever seen. She was made up, and it's her money, so I'm sure she's happy, but I'm more curious to know whether anyone has actually been able to see anything in theirs that looks different to any other 4-d scan.

AliGrylls Mon 14-Sep-09 14:11:06

My sister showed me her 4D scans the other day. She was so excited about her twins she said "doesn't this one look like me, and that one looks like dh" - I have to say I could not see the resemblance.

bodenaddict Mon 14-Sep-09 11:28:15

i had a 4-d scan with dd2 who is now 8mnths old it was amazing for bonding and we managed to find out the gender as @ 20 wk scan she wasnt in the right position

flowerpot83 Mon 14-Sep-09 10:47:58

I agree they are good for bonding. We had ours done at 27 weeks, and found out at that point we were having a little girl. I know we both felt so much more 'connected' to her, having seen her face. I felt like I was carrying around my baby girl, rather than just pregnant.

She did look quite squished and I'm sure other people probably thought she looked weird, but we were delighted.

And now, when I look at my 7 week old...you can see she's the same baby as in the scan! It's amazing really.

For us it was definitely worth it for our PFB. Whether we'd pay for one for any subsequent babies remains to be seen...

HappyWoman Mon 14-Sep-09 08:06:37

just caught up with this - and would just like to clear up another point that was brought up.

Doing unecessary scans is frowned upon and we were taught that there should always be a 'reason'.

The clinic where i perform my scans, have chosen to use a lower output - although there is no legal requirement to do so or even use qualified staff (and that goes for private medical scans also). Many obs and gynea consultants have had no formal training in scans and when they do preform them will often use 'incorrect' settings on the screen. (Although this is not always true - the best consultants will employ qualified sonographers for their scans).

It is not radiation that the babies are exposed to it is sound wave energy and despite many studies there has been no adverse affects to the exposure.

However that being said i would not be happy over performing scans.

I do feel that it is generally a happy experience for the parents and does more good than harm.

Ninks Sun 13-Sep-09 23:27:54

PMSL at woozlet's goblin. Funniest thing I've read here all night. DH is snorting too grin

Thanks for the clarification annamama.

plonker Sun 13-Sep-09 23:20:07

I have no idea if they look the same or not - I can't look at them - they totally freak me out.

sillysalley Sun 13-Sep-09 23:17:24

We had a 4D scan with DS, it was amazing, worth every penny! We had the scan at 29 wks and when he was born at 38 wks he looked just like the scan photo which was very clear. It wasnt just us who thought so, everyone commented!

I dont see why people have an issue with 4D scans, fair enough if you wouldnt have one, but IMO, it really helped DH with the bonding process.

annamama Sun 13-Sep-09 21:34:08

Ninks - I too was wondering what the 4th dimension was... Apparently it's movement. So the pictures are 3d and the DVD is 4d.

Just had an idea... I'm going to open a 4d clinic myself and pretend I'm scanning someone while playing back our own 4d scan dvd. That's £80 please! grin

oldraver Sun 13-Sep-09 17:18:12

JELLYBEANS.. Where are you. There is a team in Oxford that deal with high risk PG's and they will scan as much as is needed (I had at least weekly)

hackneybird Sun 13-Sep-09 16:54:15

4D scans give me the creeps. Mind you, I don't even like looking at our 'normal' scans.

mumtotwoplustwo Sun 13-Sep-09 11:04:50

I had one done and hoped DD wouldn't look like her scan. Unfortunately she did! She had a really squashy flat nose and this lasted for several months. IfI thought her scan pics would be like that I probably wouldn't have had them done wink

MaggieVirgoOn Sun 13-Sep-09 09:56:09

I agree, they all look the same and it would be impossible to spot resemblences, but, I can see why some people would do it. (eg Jellybeans)

jellybeans Sat 12-Sep-09 11:25:27

I had them done of DS as we had a very high risk of stillbirth (I have APS and 2 prior losses after 20 weeks) and it may have been the only time we had to 'see him' alive. I wanted to do as much as possible 'just in case' and I also wanted to check my cervix (had a stitch in) as the NHS scans were few and far between even for high risk (monthly).. He did look like an ailien (sp?) but he was my Alien!!! I loved having the pics/video and am glad we had them done even though it was very expensive!!

woozlet Sat 12-Sep-09 10:30:43

I really wished I hadn't gone for a 4D scan - DS honestly looked like a goblin. I know you are supposed to think your own is beautiful but I was downright scared. I worried for the rest of my pregnancy about having a goblin child inside me.

He was born and looked totally gorgeous and human.

dawntigga Sat 12-Sep-09 09:14:09

I can't see the point they look like the babies are made out of plasticine.

Wouldn'tWantOneMyselfButEachToTheirOwnTiggaxx

LoveBeingAMummy Sat 12-Sep-09 07:42:58

Butterball - I'm so sorry, reading your story has made me cry. It must be your most treasured item in your house.

I had one done, just before I was due to have a late scan due to low lying plenta so already knew it'd moved {wink}

It was fab, but did kind of ruin the other scan cause its such poor pictures.

My mum saw the dvd and ran off and came back with my baby pictures and put them next to the TV cause she looked just like me. Oh and she made me put it on about 10 times in a row, even i was starting to get a bit bored of it by then lol.

worley Sat 12-Sep-09 01:25:07

happywoman rather! blush

worley Sat 12-Sep-09 01:23:19

HappyWomen,
where are you based? im now doing my post grad cert in obs and gynae u/s. Feeling it in my arm already!

Elemental Fri 11-Sep-09 23:50:49

I had one and maybe it was luck but we got pictures that definitely look like him, I could recognise my nose and the fact that he looked just like his dad, which is still the case! I loved it.

2010Dad Fri 11-Sep-09 23:44:14

I did a quick google and it seems that, according to the postcode search, we can get a 4D scan for £95 (in Altrincham, 14 miles away)

I just mentioned it to my wife and it sounds like a great way to pass the time throughout pregnancy and do something than just stay away in a nice hotel a few miles away which would cost the same.

If we do it, I hope she/he moves about a bit!

trixymalixy Fri 11-Sep-09 22:01:35

YABU, we had 4d scans of both DS and DD. DS quite clearly looked like DH and DD quite clearly loked like me.

Ninks Fri 11-Sep-09 21:11:30

Haven't read the thread and oh I did want a 4D scan. But seeing the ones I saw and yes all the babies did look the same, I still - er, wanted one.

Didn't do it though. And my normal scan pics for DD and DS eerily looked like them not as newborns but as growing children.

DS had very detailed photographs taken in London because of a possible kidney problem and I was not too impressed by the junior doctor telling me that, "it doesn't matter about the length of the tubes because that, see? That is a willy, congratulations!" grin

And I am very confused about the 4D aspect. When I was growing up, (dropped physics at age 14 or so ) the fourth dimension was Time.

PDR Fri 11-Sep-09 20:57:24

I can honestly say my baby looked spookily like his 4D scan picture.

They are much clearer than normal scan pictures which I think do all look alike, if you can even see the baby!

They are expensive though and I understand a lot of ppl have better things to spend money on.

lovechoc Fri 11-Sep-09 20:43:34

SausageRocket you have a valid point, I've also heard a similar story about the radiation. I would only have it done if it was necessary, not just for the sake of having a look.

cjones2979 Fri 11-Sep-09 20:19:04

Thanks HTAW

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now