to think that all 4-d scans look the same?

(66 Posts)
HeadFairy Fri 11-Sep-09 15:10:18

Am I missing something? They all look identical. Has anyone had one and been able to actually say "ooh doesn't he look like grandpa?" or "he's got your nose" or something like that?

My friend just showed me the dvd of her 4d scan and it looked just like every other 4-d scan I've ever seen. She was made up, and it's her money, so I'm sure she's happy, but I'm more curious to know whether anyone has actually been able to see anything in theirs that looks different to any other 4-d scan.

Flamesparrow Fri 11-Sep-09 17:54:21

All babies tend to look pretty much the same don't they?

Flamesparrow Fri 11-Sep-09 17:54:47

Argh, just read Butterball's post - that is so sad but lovely that you have the dvd

dogonpoints Fri 11-Sep-09 17:59:52

I haven't seen a 4d scan. Am intrigiued.

TheWolf Fri 11-Sep-09 18:00:11

YABU - dd resembles her 4d scan pictures even now at nearly 3yo (maybe we were just lucky? wink)

HeadFairy Fri 11-Sep-09 18:01:20

Butterball, that's so sad. You must be so happy to have your dvd of your ds.

HeadFairy Fri 11-Sep-09 18:04:04

dogonpoints some 4d scans on here click on the links to see them.

dogonpoints Fri 11-Sep-09 18:10:05

wow! Thanks head. I'm going to ask my sister if she's gettin gone

hellsbelles Fri 11-Sep-09 18:17:26

I had a lot of scans in my rather difficult pregnancy so as a 'treat' one of the technicians gave me a free 4-d one. Oh my goodness - my LO looked like a little frog with a big wide nose. I consoled myself with the idea that there was no way a baby would look like that but when she was born she sort of did LOL! But she's gorgeous now of course

blue76 Fri 11-Sep-09 18:33:52

I had a 4d scan done at 32 weeks. I'm now 39 weeks and eagerly awaiting her arrival. As soon as her face appeared on the screen I knew there would be no denying her father. My God, image grin

If you check out my profile pics, the scan is on there as well as a pic of dp, so decide for yourselves!

My friend and I are due babies within 4 days of each other. She also had a 4d scan and we compared them - they look nothing like each other. Good job really as my dp would be in for a grilling grin

Not sure about the 'bonding' thing, but it is lovely to see what baby looks like with skin, rather than a 2d scan showing bones and internal organs wink

cjones2979 Fri 11-Sep-09 18:39:07

Please feel free to check out my profile pics as I have uploaded one of my 4-D scan pics of DS2. There is also a pic of him at 1 day old. Decide for yourselves. grin

SausageRocket Fri 11-Sep-09 18:47:30

The 4d scan foetuses look scary to me. The 2d b&w ones are sort of like a blurry, cute magic eye picture but the odd sepia 4d ones are freaky.

SausageRocket Fri 11-Sep-09 18:52:24

Re 'bonding scan', as far as I am aware the medical profession in general does not advocate scans 'just for a look' (ie no medical or diagnostic grounds), as the long term effects of exposure to the radiation when in utero are not yet fully established. That is certainly what I have been led to believe by quite a few obstetric consultants (I work in a hospital) and midwives (from my own pregnancy and also from speaking friends in the trade, as it were).

Vegemitenotmarmite Fri 11-Sep-09 19:09:37

My 4D scan looked so much like DH everyone thought it was hilarious.

oldraver Fri 11-Sep-09 19:17:51

I had a 4D scan and it DS did look remarkably like his scan when first born, slightly wizzened scrawny thing. I dont like the term 'bonding scan but for me it was like happywomen pointed out, a chance for a positive experience with no pressure to look for problems

I had many scans almost weekly after 23 weeks always with the idea of looking for problems. I had early scan at 6-7 weeks due to previous M/C's, one at 8 weeks due to a bleed, 12 week Nuchal due to my age, 6 scans over 2 days at 20 weeks due to potential problem that appeared at Anomoly scan, Maternal blood flow scan at 23 weeks due to previous Pre-Eclampsia, many many Doppler scans, growth scans. I just wanted something for ME to enjoy without the premise of 'lets see what problem we can find'

HigherThanAWombat Fri 11-Sep-09 19:47:15

Your boys are beautiful CJones.envy

And there's no doubt that the scan is of your ds2.

LoveTheCarbs Fri 11-Sep-09 20:18:13

We got a 4D scan, as in Scotland they don't offer a routine second scan. Admittedly it was a lot later than a normal second scan at 28weeks, but our son looked very like the scan photo. I don't think all the 4D photos look the same at all.

cjones2979 Fri 11-Sep-09 20:19:04

Thanks HTAW

lovechoc Fri 11-Sep-09 20:43:34

SausageRocket you have a valid point, I've also heard a similar story about the radiation. I would only have it done if it was necessary, not just for the sake of having a look.

PDR Fri 11-Sep-09 20:57:24

I can honestly say my baby looked spookily like his 4D scan picture.

They are much clearer than normal scan pictures which I think do all look alike, if you can even see the baby!

They are expensive though and I understand a lot of ppl have better things to spend money on.

Ninks Fri 11-Sep-09 21:11:30

Haven't read the thread and oh I did want a 4D scan. But seeing the ones I saw and yes all the babies did look the same, I still - er, wanted one.

Didn't do it though. And my normal scan pics for DD and DS eerily looked like them not as newborns but as growing children.

DS had very detailed photographs taken in London because of a possible kidney problem and I was not too impressed by the junior doctor telling me that, "it doesn't matter about the length of the tubes because that, see? That is a willy, congratulations!" grin

And I am very confused about the 4D aspect. When I was growing up, (dropped physics at age 14 or so ) the fourth dimension was Time.

trixymalixy Fri 11-Sep-09 22:01:35

YABU, we had 4d scans of both DS and DD. DS quite clearly looked like DH and DD quite clearly loked like me.

2010Dad Fri 11-Sep-09 23:44:14

I did a quick google and it seems that, according to the postcode search, we can get a 4D scan for £95 (in Altrincham, 14 miles away)

I just mentioned it to my wife and it sounds like a great way to pass the time throughout pregnancy and do something than just stay away in a nice hotel a few miles away which would cost the same.

If we do it, I hope she/he moves about a bit!

Elemental Fri 11-Sep-09 23:50:49

I had one and maybe it was luck but we got pictures that definitely look like him, I could recognise my nose and the fact that he looked just like his dad, which is still the case! I loved it.

worley Sat 12-Sep-09 01:23:19

HappyWomen,
where are you based? im now doing my post grad cert in obs and gynae u/s. Feeling it in my arm already!

worley Sat 12-Sep-09 01:25:07

happywoman rather! blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now