ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

to be repulsed by the words 'pasta bake'

(241 Posts)
EleanoraBuntingCupcake Sun 23-Aug-09 19:35:07

and i actually retch at teh thought of tuna pasta bake.

StayFrostysOtherSister Sun 23-Aug-09 19:49:28

Ahhhh. I see. well imo it is making unnecessary washing up. grin

my mum used to make it with crisps under the cheese, back in the 80s. this to me was highly sohpisticated. she also made a thing with corned beef, baked beans and potatoes which was delicious.

GirlsAreLoud Sun 23-Aug-09 19:51:35

Food snobbery has nothing to do with class marymotherofcheeses, tis to do with pretension doncha know?

You lot might all sit here banging on about tossing around pesto and parmesan but I'll wager you all have some nasty foods you secretly love.

OUt and proud I say.

TheBolter Sun 23-Aug-09 19:52:27

Corned Beef Hash? My mum used to make that too wink she'd alternate it with Toad in the Hole on Saturdays.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sun 23-Aug-09 19:54:55

I have to say I laughed at food needing to be "honest".

What's that about then? "It wasn't me guv, it was the tuna. I'd be a normal al forno kind of pasta but the tuna made me do it"

StayFrostysOtherSister Sun 23-Aug-09 19:55:01

Is that corned beef hash? it was nom nom nom anyway. Such a shame there is no veggie alternative.

cheshirekitty Sun 23-Aug-09 19:55:15

I once put tuna (canned) into spag bol (yes, it also had mince in it).

I blame the fact I had just done 7 12 hour night shifts.

StayFrostysOtherSister Sun 23-Aug-09 19:56:05

I can't believe I never knew what corned beef hash was despite eating it every week for years.

I have no business being on a food thread.

trefusis Sun 23-Aug-09 19:58:56

Message withdrawn

The words repulse you? In that case YABU. They are perfectly useful and inoffensive words. You would be sad if you lived in a world without the words 'pasta' and 'bake'.

shonaspurtle Sun 23-Aug-09 20:05:22

What about if it's called macaroni cheese?

oldraver Sun 23-Aug-09 20:15:14

I dont mind tuna just tossed turned over in pasta but cant stand it if its actually hot or 'cooked'. I can remember having to make tuna stuffed peppers at school and I was heaving

JackBauer Sun 23-Aug-09 20:16:51

DD's favourite food is my pasta bake, although it is just lasagne that I have chucked dry pasta shapes in so they can actually eat it.
Nothing wrong with pasta bakes as long as
a - they don;t have to be reconstituted from a packet or
b - they don't involve hot tuna, bleurgh

PixiNanny Sun 23-Aug-09 20:28:30

I just made myself a pasta bake for dinner now

BitOfFun Sun 23-Aug-09 20:34:35

What is the problem with hot tuna?

And ROFL at food having to be honest- reminds me of that Grand Designs guys banging on about integrity.

What's wrong with hot tuna? Tuna on pizza is a perfectly valid topping.

shatteredmumsrus Sun 23-Aug-09 20:40:44

I have to agree that warm tuna doesnt do it for me but the word repulsed is a bit strong!lol

AitchwonderswhoFruitCrumbleis Sun 23-Aug-09 20:44:15

lasagne and cannelloni are pasta bakes, aren't they? and my italian pal does something yummy with mahoosive rigatoni. but no. no baked tuna.

Hulababy Sun 23-Aug-09 20:45:05

I live pasta done in the oven be it pasta bake, lasagne, canelloni (sp?), etc. I live it with tuna too, be it fresh or tinned - although I don't like tinned tuna cold much. I like th was the cheese goes a bit crisy round the sides.

I think things like pasta bake is real comfort food.

No idea why people would consider it lazy food though hmm Takes as long as many other dishes once you have made the sauces, etc.

Hulababy Sun 23-Aug-09 20:48:18

"By StayFrostysOtherSister on Sun 23-Aug-09 19:45:47 Don't get pasta bake. don't get the point of cooking pasta on the cooker top then putting it in the oven and cooking it again. wtf? "

You don't have to cook the pasta twice; any can go straight in the oven so long as the sauce is wet enough.

I actually prefer a roasted veggie pasta bake to tuna.

I do link pasta with pesto, etc. too but they are a different kind of meal, not in the comfort food stakes at all.

piscesmoon Sun 23-Aug-09 20:52:11

It's just pasta in the oven-it doesn't have to be tuna. I like it and it makes a cheap meal.

hatesponge Sun 23-Aug-09 20:54:25

YABU

theres nothing wrong with pasta bake.
or warm tuna.
if you don't like it, don't eat it. but I fail to see the need for all this faux snobbery about it being lazy cooking etc hmm

mrswoolf Sun 23-Aug-09 20:57:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sweetnitanitro Sun 23-Aug-09 20:59:15

YABU. I made a lovely pasta bake the other day with roasted mediterranean veg and cherry tomatoes. I had loads of left over veg grin and it wasn't remotely lazy, it took ages to make. The stuff out of the jars is minging though.

EleanoraBuntingCupcake Sun 23-Aug-09 22:02:11

class issue! some of you are seriously chippy. just makes me boak i can't help it.

stleger Sun 23-Aug-09 22:05:06

I am trying to increase the types of food my dd1 (she is 16) will eat...pasta bake sounds a possibility I hadn't considered. Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now