To think bathing a baby daily is unecessary and a PITA?

(116 Posts)
CyradisTheSeer Tue 28-Jul-09 21:13:09

I'm on baby 2.. ds is nearly 3 and i have only ever bathed him once a week, and obviously when/if he gets really dirty or had suncream on...etc.. its never been a daily thing.

I'm the same with DD, she's 18wks old and i tried to do the daily baths with her, but i found it difficult and too much faff.. so she's down to once a week as well.

Maybe its because i cant use the bath - i have a back problem that makes leaning over the bath painful.. if i bath DS (rather than DH doing it) i have to take a chair to sit on

I loathe the bath so much i'm trying to acclimatise DS to the shower so i can throw him in when DH has his, lol.

But back to baby.. i bath her in the kitchen sink and everytime i do it i wonder how anyone could put up with doing it every day.. i mean, what do they do to get so dirty they need a daily bath?

cory Fri 02-Oct-09 14:43:51

I think it's one of those things that you can take or leave alone as it suits your family. But I always did feel a bit hmm at families who had to be home at a certain time/couldn't travel because their lo had to have time for a bath every single evening of their life.

LibraryLil Fri 02-Oct-09 13:10:15

My DD is 16 months old and we've never really had a regular bath night. At ante-natal classes we were advised just to 'top and tail' her with water every day for the first month.

After that we just started to bath her now and then during the week. But she hated it, and even before she could stand up she'd cling on to me crying, so I'd just be giving her a really quick sponge down really. Then suddenly she decided that she liked it, and I bath her almost every night before bedtime unless for some reason she's styed up later than usual.

But I can forget the notion of it being part of a sleepy bedtime ritual! She kneels down in the bath, plays with her toys, splashes about, tries to eat the sponge, grabs the bath handrail, wants to reach the taps, pulls up my top for an impromptu feed, pulls the plug out and puts it back in again ...

Then when she comes out there's no snuggling sleepily on my lap while I dry her and put some massage cream on; oh no!

As soon as she's out she's struggling to get down, I chase after her with the towel and dry her enough to get the nappy on. Then I do the rest of her while she crawls or runs away from me.

Out comes the cream (it's a lovely lavender smelling one, just for babies, and is supposed to give her a good night's sleep). She tries to grab the lid, tries to eat the cream, starts flipping the pages of a book etc. The 'massage' ends up being a swipe of an arm, leg, bit of tummy etc or whatever I can reach! Then on goes the nightie or pyjamas.

But she has a lovely time, so I don't mind (really)smile

rrrayray Thu 30-Jul-09 23:27:32

I have always bathed DD daily. She is now 27 weeks. But, not because of cleaning, but to establish a routine. She now associates her bath with going to bed. Works a treat.

Think its whatever works for the child concerned!

GodzillasBumcheek Thu 30-Jul-09 23:06:47

chegirl - yes, like DTD1 and DTD2 when they were little. I had to be absolutely sure they were bone dry if a drop of water touched them, or lotion, or wipes, or anything! It sounds gross but i had to only clean their bums after they pooed rather than every nappy change blush

Poor little mites, they were so sore for weeks, and the doctor just kept prescribing them creams for thrush sad

Also had to use lots of baby powder which i was very wary of due to being told it can cause breathing problems.

blackrock Thu 30-Jul-09 20:28:47

Never did with my DS. He got and still gets dry skin with regular bathing, so we limit it a bit.

chegirl Thu 30-Jul-09 17:20:06

Different children react differently to bathing (re eczema). In my DS's case it is helpful to bathe him everyday for a short time. It helps to get rid of the pollens and dust he is highly allergic too and allows us to oil his skin. We moisturise him whilst he is slightly damp.

Other children react very badly to frequent bathing and even seem 'allergic' to the water.

Eczema is not one condition. Its a description that encompasses lots of different skin problems.

Pans10 Thu 30-Jul-09 13:06:57

My DS who is 2 1/2 had eczema for a time when he was younger and we only bathed him once or twice a week because of that and now he is only bathed two to three times a week or when he is grubby.

DD is 3 1/2 months old and when she was born the midwife advised me that she should only be bathed once a week going up to two to three times a week once she could sit up on her own. I do tend to bathe her a little more often as she really enjoys it but I do think that too much bathing their delicate skin can dry it out of it's natural oils. Unless they are really grubby a quick wash of their face and hands is usually enough.

ilovemyoboe Thu 30-Jul-09 13:05:20

Glad to have found this thread. I only bath my DS once a week or so .. but probably should do more. However have been dreading doing it every day as he doesn't like it, but feeling guilty about it. Won't feel so bad now I know I'm not the only one!

giveloveachance Thu 30-Jul-09 12:07:39

I don't bath dd every day either - even though dp thinks I'm being lazy not to! - but i don't think its good for her skin, sometimes she is just too tired and I think its a shocking waste of water.

Just because a child doesn't have a daily bath doesn't mean they dont get in the habit of washing daily. I stand her in the sink for a quick wash down, which she thinks is fun.

We do still have a bed time routine, and sometimes if she needs her hair washed I'll bath her in the morning - she enjoys it more then and it becomes more of a play time thing, very good on a rainy day!

Shugarlips Thu 30-Jul-09 09:44:18

I am not saying daily bathing causes eczema all I am saying is it doesn't help. DS and DD's eczema both improved when the bathing was less frequent. I don't use bath products with unhelpful chemicals.

disneystar1 Thu 30-Jul-09 09:14:29

2 dfferent reasons or arguments here really

i actually know fact that ts not good for anyone to shower/bath once a day its dries the skin up and takes away important oils the skin needs, causing skin conditions to worsen.
other hand daily bathing as part of a bedtime routine water no soap does indicate the end of the day and some love it and the structural practise that come with it.

tough one for me as my 2 sons have a rare skin disorder and cannot be bathed/showered in reality only once a fortnight which some people will say i bet they think there lucky no there only 9 and 8 and love splashing in baths or water parks, the 5yr old gets to do it, and even the baby 1 grin

but i dont make it part of there routine as what if were away and cant do it, i need there bedtime routines to be structured enough without the water time so no hassle even when we cant iykwim

LovingTheRain Wed 29-Jul-09 22:21:13

MissSunny - We knew we wanted a big family, so when we got the bathroom re-done when DD1 was a baby, a big bath was a must grin

CatchaStar Wed 29-Jul-09 22:08:21

YANBU.

Dd (2.2 years) gets bathed every other day, or if she's been playing in the mud she'd get thrown in as well. But as a general rule, every other day.

She's a filthy wee beast! grin

AitchTwoOh Wed 29-Jul-09 22:06:09

lol at desert island discs.
yes, it was dd2's happy place too. neither of mine were particularly colicky, just normal baby stuff, but it was bliss being able to dunk dd2 and just knowing that it would stop.

GodzillasBumcheek Wed 29-Jul-09 21:54:43

I remember listening to desert island discs with my mum every time i had a bath as a child blush

chegirl Wed 29-Jul-09 21:49:43

YANBU though if you lived round here you wouldnt admit to it. You would get a lot of hmm. Apparently its ok to feed a 8 week old chocolate but NOT bathe him twice a day?! Minger grin

I have to bath DS2 everyday because of his eczema so I shove DS3 in with him. They like it and I can sit on the loo seat and listen to the Archers (oh my life is one big social whirl).

And my kids are always filthy by bedtime.

Ninkynork Wed 29-Jul-09 21:36:54

OK I retract my comments about the Tummy Tub. DS was fine and just seemed bemused by it, but DD had terrible colic, awful. They weren't around then of course, serves me right grin

dinkystinky Wed 29-Jul-09 21:31:21

AitchTwoOh - we have the tummy tub in our house too. DS1 LOVED it (and was very colicky high need baby for the first couple of months - the tummy tub was his favourite place in the world) and DS2 loved it too - has now been retired as he likes splashing his big brother in the big bath more nowadays...

And OP - no you dont need to bathe a baby every day, or even every several days, before they start getting on the move and weaning but both my boys are total waterbabes and love the water so bathtime(just with warm water and then some soap at the end for DS1 who is now 3) is one of their favourite times of the day when much splashing and playing with bathtoys is involved...

sazlocks Wed 29-Jul-09 21:21:05

We bath 18 month old DS a few times a week but not every day - suppose this is because he hated it to start with and we found it so stressful trying not to drown him smile that we never got in the habit of daily baths. We use chemical free stuff but I still think every day wold be too much.
Each to their own though..........

nicolamumof3 Wed 29-Jul-09 21:17:39

totally agree, my three dcs have lovely skin, clean shiny hair. at what stage do you get kids showering daily if you've only bathed them once a week?

AitchTwoOh Wed 29-Jul-09 21:14:55

i didn't have one for dd1 (she just used to come into the bath with dh and i) but borrowed one for dd2. what a revelation, omg they are brilliant. you don't have to hold the baby up once they're half decent at holding their heads (which is very early, remember, dd2 was prem and sat in hers fine) so you just dip your hand in the water to clean them. very easy, i promise.

danthe4th Wed 29-Jul-09 21:13:11

I've always bathed my children nearly every day, it's the best part for me, my dh walks through the door from work, he plays with the boys and then its bathtime which he does, it's my cue to sit down and do nothing or half hour.It's always been part of the bedtime routine, all my children have been good at going to bed, but now it's mostly showers as they get older, they get hosed down they get filthy playing outside I don't think my sheets would survive the week if I put them to bed without a good scrub.

LackaDAISYcal Wed 29-Jul-09 21:09:11

shugalips, my DD is lucky to get a bath once a fortnight and was only topped and tailed as a newborn for the first few weeks and she is also prone to eczema.....it's an auto immune system disorder and not to do with "stripping oils", although washing using chemicals certainly doesn't help.

GodzillasBumcheek Wed 29-Jul-09 21:04:40

Aitch - i saw those when DD3 was a baby...i didn't/don't understand how you actually get to wash the baby in one! How do you get to clean their bum for example?

NotanOtter Wed 29-Jul-09 21:02:40

shugarlips - i was bathed weekly as a child and head to toe serious eczema

6 children daily bathing - no eczema yet and eldest almost 17 - i dont buy that argument

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now