Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

AIBU to think men should keep their shirts on in public places however hot it is?

(170 Posts)
catwalker Sun 31-May-09 13:42:23

-especially the ones with fat, hairy stomachs. Unless, of course, they are in their own garden or on the beach. Went to a cricket match the other day and one of the dads sat next to me was topless. He had the most enormous hairy stomach and very small shorts so that when he was sitting down you couldn't see the shorts for his overhanging gut and it looked like he was naked. I couldn't bear to look in his direction - put me off my picnic. I see blokes wandering round the local shopping centre with no top on too - even if they're fit looking it still makes me feel uncomfortable.

TheArmadillo Sun 31-May-09 13:43:31

YANBU I hate it too

In your own garden or beach then fine but not anywhere else.

nkf Sun 31-May-09 13:44:06

It's terrible isn't it? Why do they do it? It's so undignified.

ILoveDolly Sun 31-May-09 13:46:30

My dh was going on about this earlier at the supermarket. He thinks its grim too, so not just us ladies dusgusted by acres of sweating man flesh

Lucia39 Sun 31-May-09 13:46:58

I agree. I also dislike men who wear "wife beaters" with cheap jewellery!

sazzerbear Sun 31-May-09 13:48:29

YANBU - even on slim blokes its just wrong. Patchy back hair/patchy chest hair/back fat/big guts/pasty skin yuk keep it covered! Mind you, a lot of women like stripping off (not to that extreme, although I have seen some sights) who should also keep covered up! angry

catwalker Sun 31-May-09 13:49:34

What are "wife beaters"?!

scottishmummy Sun 31-May-09 13:49:42

aesthetically depends upon the man,toned permissible even encourageablewink

overhang and BO. eugh

ILoveDolly Sun 31-May-09 13:50:29

True - Tesco's was like an advert for the dangers of sun exposure. Seriously now, sun cream?

snigger Sun 31-May-09 13:52:08

Our closest neighbour whips his kit off at the first sign of active sunlight.

How do you get through to someone that it's hard to chat meaningfully when you're hypnotically tracing a bead of sweat as it wends its way through their greying chest wig to meet the greater rivulet halfway down their stomach?

Greugh.

sazzerbear Sun 31-May-09 13:55:15

What about the other extreme, I went out this morning (must have been at least 20 deg) and saw a couple - he wearing a fleece and she wearing jumper (they weren't old either!) I WANTED them to strip off! grin

BCNS Sun 31-May-09 13:56:46

ohh I like a nice toned chest ..
although I find a nice shirt slightly open is far more attractive on the right man.

hairy kegs sould stay in the garden

Also.. I do not want a hairy keg anywhere near my BBQed food..

Paolosgirl Sun 31-May-09 13:57:13

Doesn't matter how toned they are - if they're not in their garden at home or on the beach, then they need to cover up. Yeuch in the extreme.

sazzerbear Sun 31-May-09 14:00:33

We don't get many toned men in these parts! Catwalker come back - I also need to know what a "wife beater" is!

scottishmummy Sun 31-May-09 14:01:59

i thought stella artois was wife beater,a pint of wife beater

Ohforfoxsake Sun 31-May-09 14:02:24

Isn't a 'wife-beater' one of those basketball vest type things?

We live opposite a common. Men play football and take their shirts off. I don't mind wink

scottishmummy Sun 31-May-09 14:03:42

oh if its clothing i think football top= wife beater

onagar Sun 31-May-09 14:04:38

It's their right though to be comfortable even though I understand why it's not so pleasing to look at.

You just have to get used to it.

TheDevilWearsPenneys Sun 31-May-09 14:13:17

Wife beater is a string vest, or a very tight thin cotton vest. Usually with lager stains down the front.

scottishmummy Sun 31-May-09 14:15:42

can we include grubby curry and bevvy splattered footy tops.

LadyAga Sun 31-May-09 14:21:32

i can't stand to see it, and i like to have a good letch... but these guys never look nice

sazzerbear Sun 31-May-09 14:24:20

mmn the sweaty nylon of football shirts, should be banned on grown men!

Debs75 Sun 31-May-09 14:24:54

YANBU

Old men with saggy boobs, grey hairy chests, huge beer bellys(except James Corden) stringy chests. YUCK

Men who strip have no shame yet think the 'fat bird in a bikin' is a crime

piscesmoon Sun 31-May-09 14:27:36

YES

scottishmummy Sun 31-May-09 14:28:05

like porkers in sportwear.nike head to toe.arse size of a planet.

kind of ironic.

no footy tops on adults.ok on adolescent and children.no no above 18.or unless one is actually playing football,and changes after game ends

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now