..to throw the mooncup in the bin - as that's where it belongs?

(298 Posts)
RumourOfAHurricane Thu 28-May-09 12:11:41

I have given it a good go. ( Bleugh). I bought one after some discussion on here ( err, provoked by me...)back in January, where the general consensus was that I was being very unreasonable in thinking they were hideous things.

So... I have used it for 5 months. And I can honestly say it's rubbish. I know it has its supporters, but let me list for you why it is crap.

1. It leaks. No matter how ' correctly' you position it. Now, before you all leap on me and say that this must be because I have an odd shaped fanjo, I haven't. Ask anyone..

2. Removing the damn thing and emptying it are skills that I just don't possess. You get it out, it goes everywhere, no matter how careful you are. Talk about my cup runneth over..

3. It leaks. Did I mention that?

So...who's with me? Who is ready to ditch the cup? Or am I on my own?

Wouldn't be the first time!

meemar Thu 28-May-09 12:13:11

pmsl at

"Now, before you all leap on me and say that this must be because I have an odd shaped fanjo, I haven't. Ask anyone.." grin

Bucharest Thu 28-May-09 12:15:01

YANBUatall (although I think we may be in a minority...) mine also went in the bin, (didn;t think there'd be many takers on ebay for a used-once one grin)after I spent a good half hour convinced I was having a do-it-yourself hysterectomy trying to get the fecker out. Terrified I was.

DeathbyDora Thu 28-May-09 12:15:54

Too scared to try it to be honest! [bit fat chicken emoticon]
The idea of shoving a cup up there freaks me out, have images of either needing to have it surgically removed or it pinging all over the bathroom when I try to remove it...

RumourOfAHurricane Thu 28-May-09 12:16:16

grin

God, the ' getting it out '... I seriously was in danger of losing my hand.. ( joke, joke)

Sparkler Thu 28-May-09 12:16:47

Never used one, never want to. Just doesn't appeal to me at all. Much better things to do with my fanjo if you ask me - lmao grin

Sassybeast Thu 28-May-09 12:17:25

I'm with ya sista. Except I haven't got one to ditch. Anthing that can be inserted into your fanjo and then sterilised in a dishwasher is up there on my scale of too weird wink And having witnessed someone rinsing hers out in a restaurant toilet, going back in the cubicle presumably to re insert it, then leaving the toilet without washing her handsmade me come over all peculiar. Least I think it was a mooncup - it could have been a diaphragm.

DeathbyDora Thu 28-May-09 12:17:33

Oh Bucharest, you just made me snort my coffee all over the keyboard!! grin

RumourOfAHurricane Thu 28-May-09 12:18:06

Apparently someone on MN sold their second hand one, if memory serves me right. That could be an urban myth, although I'm not so sure...

jumpingbeans Thu 28-May-09 12:18:29

I am sure I read somewhere that your fango is normal, I don't think it was in that telephone box, but i'm not sure now

Sparkler Thu 28-May-09 12:18:35

shock You can put them in the dishwasher????!!!!!!! shock Ewwwwwwwwwwww now that's just not right.

yappybluedog Thu 28-May-09 12:18:40

I heard of someone emptying the contents to 'nourish their house-plants' shock

Bucharest Thu 28-May-09 12:19:04

Ah, but, the worst was, I'm in the south of Italy where they don't even really do tampons. Can you imagine their faces at A and E???????

Worriedunfortunately Thu 28-May-09 12:19:23

Sorry, I'm obviously not in the know here but...

why are you all putting cups up your bits???

Am I missing out? (grin)

RumourOfAHurricane Thu 28-May-09 12:19:24

Sassybeast - NOOOOOO! Really?

I tell ya, you haven't lived until you have stood in a toilet cubicle with an overflowing little cup in your hand thinking ' Oh for fuck sake, it's going everywhere! '

RumourOfAHurricane Thu 28-May-09 12:20:00

jumpingbeans - love it grin

RumourOfAHurricane Thu 28-May-09 12:20:40

You are supposed to boil them once a month or they start to smell. I can confirm that yes, indeed they DO smell.

Sparkler Thu 28-May-09 12:20:50

shock You can empty them in plants???!!! shock Nooooooooooo! grin

RumourOfAHurricane Thu 28-May-09 12:22:31

Oh yes, I read it in a magazine so it must be true.

I mean, it's just too much isn't it? Tipping blood into your house plants. Just. Too. Much.

beatiebow Thu 28-May-09 12:23:35

I have tried mine for three months now I think. My prob is not getting it out but getting it to stay comfortably in.........

But will persevere for another month or so.

VinegarTits Thu 28-May-09 12:23:57

I have been tempted to lash mine in the past when
a) i have appeared from public toliets looking like i just slaughtered a chicken
b) i realised i may need a moon bucket when mine thus spillith over
c) i struggle getting to the sink with my kecks round my ankles and my hands covered in red gunk, trying not to touch the walls as i shuffle

However i am still perservering as i am thinking of the environment and there are times when i do love it (like not having to wear those bloody nappy-like-sanatry-towels for bed)

I hate santary towels with a passion and tampons tend to shoot out when i pee

Worriedunfortunately Thu 28-May-09 12:24:02

"I've been using the Mooncup for three years and it has been fantastic. I have a very heavy flow and used to use 2 x super plus tampons at a time, and a pad as well, and I would still be in a mess in an hour for the first 2 days of my period. Apart from saving me a fortune, and not supporting pharmaceutical giants, it is much gentler on your body than tampons. Try it, it is really worth it."

Gill

From Mooncup website (I looked it up!)

How did she get 2 x super plus tampons up at once??!

Caitni Thu 28-May-09 12:25:20

YANBU as you've given it a go but I'm sorry it's not worked out.

I use a keeper (what we called menstrual cups before they got rebranded to something that sounded less american and weird!) and have done for nearly 10 years - and I love it - it doesn't leak, it doesn't spill when I empty it (and in fact I sometimes add it to my compost pile but don't tell DH!). So hate to say it but if you're leaking then you're not putting it in properly as it's all about creating a vacuum seal.

I got mine for environmental reasons - sick of adding to landfill and not wanting bleach and other chemicals up my fanjo all day - but I do still remember my early struggles with it. It's hard to switch when you've been using tampons/pads all your menstruating life. But I'm glad I stuck with it (stuck it up) as I only need about 10 tampons a year (for things like flying - never want to run the risk of spilling it in a confined space with lots of people queuing outside...)

jumpingbeans Thu 28-May-09 12:27:27

lmfao @ vinegartits and her moonbucket oh my that was funny

Bramshott Thu 28-May-09 12:28:47

I have to say that I love mine (bought 2 months ago). It doesn't seem to leak, although getting it out is a bit of a knack, and I have learned to remove all of my pajamas before emptying it in the morning . . . I always used to leak through tampons, including at night, and no leakage with this so far, and I love only having to empty it twice a day!

If you bought it less than 3 months ago (or less than 3 cycles ago), you do know you can return it for a full refund don't you?

shinesun Thu 28-May-09 12:29:12

am i totally ignorant ? what is it?
like worriedunfortunately i am in the dark, sadly

Caitni Thu 28-May-09 12:30:11

Just seen all the other messages grin

Sassy noooo - that's so rank re not washing her hands. Think I'd be too chicken to actually empty it in front of others (my preference is for disabled toilets with a sink).

Have also never boiled mine (and dishwasher? Wtf?)...shall have to investigate the mooncup as things have changed in the decade I've been using my cup.

squirrel42 Thu 28-May-09 12:31:18

Mooncups are so made of win, but it's fine if you don't get on with them. There are lots of websites around giving advice on different folding methods, etc which might help the fit?

I for one would never go back!

ClaireDeLoon Thu 28-May-09 12:34:08

Do you have to position it over your cervix or does it just sit mid fanjo?

Luvoneson Thu 28-May-09 12:34:25

Sorry to sound really stupid. What is a mooncup? shall I google? Someone please tell me.

leonifay Thu 28-May-09 12:37:17

i'm pmlol at this thread, and i have 2 babys asleep so trying to do it quietly!
i dont have one and am too scared to try one, i'm the sort of person that would end up red faced in a+e with it stuck up there!
no its not for me!

RumourOfAHurricane Thu 28-May-09 12:37:59

Oh yeah, I'll just march into Boots, stick it on the counter and demand a refund I think..

I'll give it a rinse first though.

In the interests of balence, I've had mine 3 months and have never had a leak, or spilage so far. The emptying is defn the scariest bit though.

I did nearly insert it upside down in a moment of absent-mindedness though. Not sure how that would have worked...

RumourOfAHurricane Thu 28-May-09 12:39:09

Unfortunately, you are not allowed to be a member of Mumsnet until you have at least tried a mooncup. It's the law.

PMSL @ moonbucket.

RumourOfAHurricane Thu 28-May-09 12:39:46

I refuse to try anything called a ' keeper. '

Sorry.

duchesse Thu 28-May-09 12:41:18

Mine leaks too- I used it for a year, but always had to have backup. It would be lovely not to need to use pads as well, and at least I was using far fewer pads, but still... Not sure entirely worth it. I kind of stopped using it some months before getting pregnant. < looking forward to many more months of amenorrhea >

CarGirl Thu 28-May-09 12:42:32

I only leak if I haven't emptied it often enough, let's just my periods are very heavy for the first few days........

RumourOfAHurricane Thu 28-May-09 12:43:35

I have never had a heavy period, as far as it normal for me - and still the fecking thing leaks.

Sycamoretreeisvile Thu 28-May-09 12:44:09

I am perservering.

I had to cut the pully out bit off though.

It was rubbing me up the wrong way, man. wink

geordieminx Thu 28-May-09 12:44:18

I can Never get mine out - I tried with it for 3 months then flung it into the drawer never to see the light of my -fanjo day again.

I really must have a super tight fanjo{{{{twirls}}}}}}}}}}

Caitni Thu 28-May-09 12:46:03

Shineon "keeper" is terrible, terrible name (especially as I had a "keyper" in the 80s and can still hum the "jeepers creepers what's inside your keyper" theme - creeps me out that my technical answer would now have to be "er, my endometrium?").

CarGirl Thu 28-May-09 12:46:07

well it's the vacuum thing then - is it those little holes getting clogged up?

TabithaTwitchet Thu 28-May-09 12:46:31

I bought one several months ago. As yet I have been to terrified to actually insert the stupid thing. I have several times stood in the loo with it in my hand. I have come close a few times, but at the psychological moment my courage always deserts me.

RumourOfAHurricane Thu 28-May-09 12:46:48

Oh Geordie, me too grin

Sycamore - glad to see you embracing your inner vileness. Snort.

duchesse Thu 28-May-09 12:47:12

"Keeper" sounds like something dreamed up by a Dungeons and Dragons nerd, and that's not something you want anywhere near your fanjo.

jumpingbeans Thu 28-May-09 12:47:35

geordieminx, i read you post to quick, i thought it said you tried for 3 months to get it out

RumourOfAHurricane Thu 28-May-09 12:47:55

Someone said to me on my previous thread ' if you can shove a penis up there, you can shove a mooncup up there'

It didn't really help much.

OMG!! Spat my tea all over the screen at Vinegartits!!

KingRolo Thu 28-May-09 12:54:55

Thanks for this thread shineon.

I have now decided, after much deliberation, not to buy a Mooncup when I finish BF.

Be needing the Tenalady though if I keep reading this thread.

VinegarTits Thu 28-May-09 12:57:11

I gave birth to mine once, nowadays i take it out before i have a number 2 grin

RumourOfAHurricane Thu 28-May-09 12:58:01

KingRolo - Please, don't do it. They are shit. I know that is not a very erudite, technical description but really, it sums it up perfectly.

bloss Thu 28-May-09 12:58:08

Message withdrawn

Luvoneson Thu 28-May-09 12:58:38

Are you all ignoring me. Can someone please tell me what a mooncup is. I swear I have never heard of it.

RumourOfAHurricane Thu 28-May-09 13:00:02

Luv - it is a cup that you shove up your vajimee doo dah when you have your period.

RumourOfAHurricane Thu 28-May-09 13:00:37

Bloss - please advise me on ' expert removal '

grin

Luvoneson Thu 28-May-09 13:02:27

Sorry for asking!

Sycamoretreeisvile Thu 28-May-09 13:02:32

Vileness rocks.

It's given me a whole new lease of life grin

claraquack Thu 28-May-09 13:06:22

I am glad to see this thread - I was honestly beginning to think I was the only person on MN without one of those things. It's good to hear I am not alone. It just doesn't appeal to me - I know all the environmental arguements but prefer to be green in other ways.

This has confirmed my thoughts!

Luvoneson Thu 28-May-09 13:06:51

Have you got something against me Shiney? Thought we had sorted all that out.

Sycamoretreeisvile Thu 28-May-09 13:08:08

Oh chill Luv - she was being comedy flippant. Enjoy - MN is LIVELY this morning grin

KingRolo Thu 28-May-09 13:10:28

A lovely thread to read over lunch. grin

Luvoneson Thu 28-May-09 13:13:37

Dont like the sound of it, all that muck stuck up 'there' until its emptied. I'm in Boots later, might investigate.

Sycamoretreeisvile Thu 28-May-09 13:16:58

Luv - it's no different to it being "stuck up there" in a tampon if you think about it.

You can empty it whenever you like!

Buy online - cheaper, I think.

BitOfFun Thu 28-May-09 13:18:25

I have only tried mine once - unfortunately I bought it in a fit of MNly zeal before reminding myself that I have a Mirena coil and no periods. During said experiment the Mirena coil almost made a reappearance due to the suction thing blush

I am clearly an advertiser's dream grin

Sassybeast Thu 28-May-09 13:39:43

I think a mooncup falls in to the same category as Bumbos, Ergos and baby led weaning. No normal fecker (i.e someone who doesn't use parenting forums) has ever heard of them wink

RumourOfAHurricane Thu 28-May-09 13:51:17

Huh?!?!? I answered your question, luv

RumourOfAHurricane Thu 28-May-09 13:52:16

<< shiney scrolls back up to see if she has insulted Luv >>

BitOfFun Thu 28-May-09 13:52:54

< dreads to imagine a bumbo >

RumourOfAHurricane Thu 28-May-09 13:53:16

<< Comes to conclusion that she hasn't >>

Luvoneson Thu 28-May-09 13:54:45

Sorry shiney i'm a bit touchy today, had terrible nights sleep, dh kept snoring like a pig.

KingRolo Thu 28-May-09 13:56:30

Bumbo is a tad bigger than a mooncup. grin

RumourOfAHurricane Thu 28-May-09 13:56:38

Kick him very hard indeed.

duchesse Thu 28-May-09 13:56:42

Luv- just kill him, no jury would convict. Happens rarely here (usually after copious amounts of wine) but I hold my husband's nose until he stops breathing snoring.

Luvoneson Thu 28-May-09 13:56:52

I'm off to Boots now to investigate the muck catcher.

RumourOfAHurricane Thu 28-May-09 13:57:22

<< mental image of trying to shove a bumbo up your fanjo >>

duchesse Thu 28-May-09 13:57:29

And you really wouldn't want to put a bumbo up your fanjo unles you're exceptionally...roomy down there.

duchesse Thu 28-May-09 13:57:56

cross post with shine

BitOfFun Thu 28-May-09 13:57:57

All I found was this- please don't tell me you stick it up your arse...

RumourOfAHurricane Thu 28-May-09 14:00:40

I had a bumbo for my little guy.

Doubled up as a spare moon bucket

BitOfFun Thu 28-May-09 14:01:26

grin

Noonki Thu 28-May-09 14:18:03

yabvvvu

I actually a little bit in love with mine.

anything that meant I never have to use tampons or pads again is good

surely it's just periods fullstop that should be done away with...if Darwin was a woman we would surely have evolved a blood bladder by now grin

RumourOfAHurricane Thu 28-May-09 14:21:53

Noonki - you heart your moon cup?
Really?!?

Noonki Thu 28-May-09 19:35:39

honest I do!

RumourOfAHurricane Thu 28-May-09 19:52:45

I am more than happy to give you mine as you love them so much.

I'll give it a wipe first.

grin

MmeLindt Thu 28-May-09 19:59:13

I love mine too.

ROFL at moonbucket.

RumourOfAHurricane Thu 28-May-09 20:03:20

I wanted to love it.

But it's shit.

grin

RedCharityBonney Thu 28-May-09 20:11:02

I love mine, too.
You don't have to "shuffle to the sink with your pants round your ankles" you silly sausages - you don't even have to look at it! You just empty it in the loo and wipe it out with toilet roll.

john3sixteen Thu 28-May-09 20:11:35

I totally no sure whether I want to give it a go or not after reading this, but have found it enormously amusing.
Does anyone just "empty" it down the loo?

letswiggle Thu 28-May-09 20:16:18

I loved mine except am now convinced it gives me UTIs so think I'm going to chuck it.

FrannyandZooey Thu 28-May-09 20:18:15

god i do love mine
sorry
have you phoned them for advice shineon? it really shouldn't leak. you might be needing to fine tune your insertion technique?

ProfYaffle Thu 28-May-09 20:18:35

I love mine, I have a really light flow which makes tampons quite painful. Mooncups are bliss after that, never had any leaks either.

FrannyandZooey Thu 28-May-09 20:19:02

and john yes that's what you do - remove, empty down loo, give a wash if a sink is handy, reinsert

RumourOfAHurricane Thu 28-May-09 20:34:12

Fran - you make it sound so easy!

Insertion fine. Leakage not grin

bloss Thu 28-May-09 20:34:59

Message withdrawn

Morloth Thu 28-May-09 20:52:36

I had an allergic reaction to my Mooncup sad that was not much fun at all.

For some reason it is still in the bathroom cupboard - I really should chuck it.

twinmam Thu 28-May-09 20:53:16

So why does mine leak? I do like it more than tampons, loads more, but am still having to use pads most of the time which kind of spoils my saving planet earth sense of satisfaction. Does it leak because my fanjo is ma-hus-sive? Or is it an insertion issue? Can someone please explain to me where it should be in order to not leak? (Yes, I know - up my fanjo - but whereabouts and how do you ensure it's sealed?) I can't face this convo on the mooncup helpline... blush

Don't diss the mooncup, you lot with your bucket fanjos!

I must admit the first few times I used it I had child birth flashbacks, but now I'm a pro. I love the slaughtered chicken description, that is occasionally the case, but it is soooo worth it. Much more comfy than tampos, especially when you are quite light, and much better and a frigging sanitary towel like a nappy which squashes up so narrowly it never holds anything in it anyway!

bloss Thu 28-May-09 21:02:44

Message withdrawn

twinmam Thu 28-May-09 21:14:56

I haven't been rotating it all! Just kind of shoving it up and leaving it to do it's stuff. So, does it basically go like this - squish it and stick it in, leave it to expand and then twist it to seal... That kind of makes sense.

KERALA1 Thu 28-May-09 21:18:33

oooh YABU love mine have never leaked (unlike tampons which I found leaked all the time).

But horses for courses you gave it a go. Would recommend everyone gives it a try though you mind be abit easier with it if you already using non applicator tampons and dont feel squeamish rummaging around down there.

Heated Thu 28-May-09 21:20:21

Ditched mine, really not good for fanjo after 3rd degree tear.

RumourOfAHurricane Thu 28-May-09 21:22:49

Ouch Heated. Sounds painful.

Heated Thu 28-May-09 21:38:39

No, not painful Shiney but definitely not helpful if you're trying to make things tauter - may have actually done some damage.

Heated Thu 28-May-09 21:40:33

oops, Shine (think i've been watching too much ShineyShow!)

NeedaNewName Thu 28-May-09 22:00:58

I was brave and bought a mooncup a few months back, had a few initial problems - the bloody stick thing you pull it out with, that had to al come off.

But after the inital teething problems all is well.

For some reason after DD1 I was having great trouble putting a tampon in, but the MC is soooo easy to pop in and out, just take a while to get used to.

I recommend perservering with it, maybe go online to see if there are different folds and other advice.

Have to say this thread has made me PMSL though - thank you!

PresidentTaylor Thu 28-May-09 22:14:36

Caitni - I had those keyper toys. Had forgotten all about them until I read your link. I have just got all tearful looking at them as I loved them so much when I was little. I think I had quite a few.

Re the mooncup thing. Am still BF my 3rd and have not had regular periods since before DC1, but planning on trying one out after DC3 is finisherd with me! Used to use tampons before DCs but have read more about them now and would not be so happy going back to them. Hate pads though (and having tried washable san pro after my babies were born I hate that type even more!)...and who would want a second hand set of washable san pro!

2009 Thu 28-May-09 22:14:53

twinmam - if you are like me then just shoving it up and twisting will never work.

I have a tilted cervix and its position also seems to change quite a lot during the cycle. To get my mooncup to work without leaking, I have to first finger check where my cervix is and then direct it in quite carefully.
I also have to do a quick check when its in placeto ensure it's covering the cervix and not lying next to it.
Sorry probably TMI blush

golgi Thu 28-May-09 22:15:38

My top mooncup tip - don't change it after you've been chopping chillies.

bloss Thu 28-May-09 22:23:09

Message withdrawn

Well I don't care if I do get chucked off Mumsnet for the following statement:

I have 3 words for the very idea of a mooncup:-

Yuk

Boak

and

Bleugh.

(I've wanted to say those words for ages, but have been too afraid of the (pardon the pun) fallout.....)

RumourOfAHurricane Thu 28-May-09 22:35:38

Heated - You were right first time - Shiney!

Plump - they are just grim. I put them in the same catergory as crystal rock deodeorants. Useless...

bloss Thu 28-May-09 22:38:14

Message withdrawn

morocco Thu 28-May-09 22:41:34

try fairy hammocks next then grin
they rock

NeedaNewName Thu 28-May-09 22:47:52

golgi - OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nope. Not gonna happen, bloss. Am standing firm on this one.

<<folds arms, plants feet firmly on ground>>

grin

NeedaNewName Thu 28-May-09 22:55:43

Go on you know you want to really!!

No no no no no.

Shan't

<<squeezes eyes and fanjo firmly shut>>

girlandboy Thu 28-May-09 23:05:31

Mooncups are the best.

Tampons stink, are full of bleach and other chemicals and you end up with a cold soggy string between your legs.

Disposable pads just stink.

How can people say a Mooncup is "Yuk" when they are happy to see a pad with blood smeared over it and stuck in your pubic hair, or a tampon that has sucked every bit of moisture out of your vagina.

<<shakes head in despair>>

CKelpie Thu 28-May-09 23:15:26

<<gasp>> I cannot beleeeeeeeve you are dissing the wonderful mooncup!

Oh well, back to jammyrags for you.grin

Dior Thu 28-May-09 23:28:47

Diamond - When you say leak, are we talking bloodbath proportions, or just a little bit? If a little, surely that is better than using tampons? I always have to use a pad on the heaviest day but I figure that is not too much of a problem. If you are talking a lot of leaking, you might need to empty it more often.

I have used mine for 2.5 years and think it was the best investment I have ever made. I used to spend a fortune on tampons - horrible things...

duchesse Thu 28-May-09 23:38:24

Dior, even emptied every hour mine still leaked. Mind you, it was full in an hour on my two heaviest days. I think I estimated a 120ml blood loss for each period.

dizietsma Fri 29-May-09 00:40:30

Some women need to try different types of menstrual cup until they find the one that works for them.

Thankfully, mooncup works a treat for me. I find the trick is to empty it in the loo whilst still sitting on it.

RumourOfAHurricane Fri 29-May-09 09:51:41

<< Shiney regrets idly munching her jam on toast whilst reading this thread >>

CherryChoc Fri 29-May-09 10:45:48

Oh no, I have a tilted cervix, does that mean using a mooncup is more difficult? I am not very good with getting things "up there" at the best of times.

I can't decide whether to try one now! Maybe I should start with fairy hammocks...

RumourOfAHurricane Fri 29-May-09 11:04:06

What in God's name are fairy hammocks?

Wizzska Fri 29-May-09 11:23:38

How refreshing to have negative things written about Mooncups on Mumsnet. I tried it for a couple of months but the stick bit really rubbed, so I cut the stick off and found it a bugger to get out. Chucked it in the end.

Simply Fri 29-May-09 11:24:39

I find my mooncup very useful (and easy to use and clean) and wish I'd bought one before. I only need to use the longer length knicker liners with it. It has easily paid for itself.

CherryChoc Fri 29-May-09 11:45:30

shineon they are washable sanitary pads!

Casserole Fri 29-May-09 12:34:26

This thread is making me roar with laughter and feel a bit faint all at the same time!

I'm too chicken to try one.

RumourOfAHurricane Fri 29-May-09 13:24:47

There is no way on this earth that I will be using washable sanitary pads.

<< Shudder >>

Stayingsunnygirl Fri 29-May-09 14:36:58

Is it really the law that every mumsnetter has to have tried a mooncup at least once? <<worries>>

I have a mirena coil hence no periods plus I think it would pull the coil out if I did try. wink

And what about the men who post here? If they have to try one, where should it go?? winkgrin

mychildrenarebarmy Fri 29-May-09 14:37:43

aw shine, but you can get so many different patterns. lol. As noticed by my DD who proudly announced for all my neighbours to hear when I was getting the washing in. "You've bought some new sanitary towels haven't you Mummy".

RumourOfAHurricane Fri 29-May-09 14:52:01

No. Sorry. The buying of the moon cup made me feel all hippy like and zen, almost like I should be recycling my water and growing my underarm hair. That was bad enough.

The thought of washing sanitary towels is definitely a bridge too far.

And if ONE person quotes the environment to me, I will tip mu mooncup over them. grin

Grumpyoldcaaaaaaaa Fri 29-May-09 14:58:36

But have you considered The Environment

grin

Grumpyoldcaaaaaaaa Fri 29-May-09 15:03:17

But really, what is a Mirena coil? I had a coil once, I bled for 14 days minimum every month. 'Twas shite.

Stayingsunnygirl Fri 29-May-09 15:04:00

But what about the environment, shine?

<<ducks and runs for cover>> grin

apostrophe Fri 29-May-09 15:07:00

I don't get it. Mooncups are fab. Much better than icky pads or dare I mention "fairy hammocks" / "respect your flow" devices.

Botbot Fri 29-May-09 15:10:34

I abandoned mine after one go, after it took me 10 minutes of slightly painful poking and prodding to break the suction seal and actually extract the thing from my fanjo. I thought I was going to have to call DP in at one point. It terrified me. I may try again, but I'm worried I've got some sort of super-sucky fanjo and I'll never get it off.

Botbot Fri 29-May-09 15:15:20

Now I've read the thread, I'm glad to see there are other super-suckers out there. I am not alone.

RumourOfAHurricane Fri 29-May-09 15:51:53

Oh, getting the fecking thing out is a joke. It just, well, hurts. And then slops everywhere when you finally pull the thing triunphantly from your nether regions.

BitOfFun Fri 29-May-09 22:45:35

A mirena coil also releases hormones over its life and basically stops your periods. It is fabulous.

splodge2001 Fri 29-May-09 22:58:34

I second that emotion BitOfFun

if you really want to be environmentally friendly and not at all smelly get a Mirena Coil - though when a friend of mine who is a consultant anaesthetist had hers fitted recently by her GP who managed to ram it through the wall of her uterus and place it usefully on top of her rectum, in case any errant sperm lost their way perhaps?

ive never had a problem with it though and i love not having periods

mooncups for schmucks

splodge2001 Fri 29-May-09 23:01:20

OMG i just google imaged one shock

RumourOfAHurricane Fri 29-May-09 23:01:34

No no no to the Mirena coil.

<< Hello little tampax packet >>

BitOfFun Fri 29-May-09 23:09:33

What's not to like? No pills to remember, no condoms to fiddle with, no periods, and no depo-induced weight gain...only the weight gain associated with all the nights in drinking before the hassle-free shagging starts grin

Stayingsunnygirl Fri 29-May-09 23:30:32

I heart my coil too. Periods? What periods! grin

On a practical level, how easy is the mooncup to use if you are a larger lady? If you are having (as I do) to reach round a rather rotund belly. blush

ChippingIn Fri 29-May-09 23:40:05

Shiney you are a cruel, cruel woman!!

I have only read your op, but I am pissing killing myself laughing and trying not to, before my 81 year old Autie (who is very hip, but none the less!) asks me why!!!

(Yes, proper, blood related Auntie too!)

LOL - blood related.... aching sides now....

Slinking off to my room to read the thread in private as I just know it's going to be funny!!

willowthewispa Fri 29-May-09 23:49:25

Well mine has never leaked, and once I got the hang of it has been easy to remove and not that messy

Bucharest ......... I've just nearly wet myself laughing at your DIY hysterectomy, very funny!!! grin

I so need to go to bed, BUT can't stop laughing at all your comments, they are so funny!! grin

Lets just say I won't be trying one and will stick to my super plus and towel!!

RumourOfAHurricane Sat 30-May-09 00:06:35

<< vomit at ' blood Aunty' - thank you for that scaring mental image, that shall probably never leave me >>

Quite pleased that I have not been told off for my derogatory crystal deodeorant comments. Last time I dissed the crystal, I got a pasting.

Anyone heard of a concept called ' free bleeding?'

I can honestly say, hand on heart, that I would rather fecking ' free bleed ' ( do have a google - delightful!) than put the cup of moon near my fanjo again.

ChippingIn Sat 30-May-09 00:18:37

OMG - free bleeding - I hate to think (but will have to google now!).

I knew this would be a great thread...

I have been thinking about getting one for a little while now, but on balance, don't think I'll bother!! I can well imagine having to get help getting it out (well, if I could get it in!) and the whole palavar with a tiled cervix to boot - nooooo thanks.

Shiney - I am so with you on the 'Fairy Hammocks' - not until hell freezes over and then some....

Thank you ALL for the laughs, this is the best half an hour I have had all day

chipmonkey Sat 30-May-09 01:01:31

I have got the hang of my mooncup now. I did like my fairy hammocks but sometimes I would forget that I had left them soaking and would discover them much later........twasn't nice!

chipmonkey Sat 30-May-09 01:07:40

Oh, Good God! free bleeding
No, that is a step too far, even for me!

MissSunny Sat 30-May-09 01:50:20

Message withdrawn

golgi Sat 30-May-09 08:25:11

Hmm, free bleeding. I really don't know what to say.
Can't imagine it would go down too well at school "Don't worry class, I'm just menstruating, it's perfectly natural to let it all run down my legs"

Yeuch.

ridingjoker Sat 30-May-09 08:49:44

shiney - great thread. i binned mine too. got it after the thread that convinced you to try one.

mines was a real leaky bugger too. no mater of twisting, poking, pulling, turning, folded method stopped it leaking.

and as for sports. mines definately couldn't cope with horse riding. used to get sucked to high heavens then leak.

cue me fishing about for it as i've had to cut stalk off.

i too was a shuffler with trousers round ankles.

there's was only one thing i really liked...... freaking my friends out to show them. was great to see their faces (before i'd used it for first time obviously [tmi]

<dishes out tampons disguised as sweeties (yeah right i'm sure it will be mistaken for a sweetyhmmafter everyone has seen the advert and knows axactly what they are)>

ridingjoker Sat 30-May-09 08:50:17

oh and free bleeding = clatty cow

kitbit Sat 30-May-09 09:03:06

Yes what DO you do in a public loo?? Do you tip, flush and wipe? And keep toilet wipes in your bag? Does that work?

I really wanted to give one a try but after my early disasters with a contraceptive cap (squeeze/ping/goalie-like diving around the room) I am a little wary.

FrannyandZooey Sat 30-May-09 09:14:30

you just wipe it with tissues (i would not use baby wipes on anything that is going inside me) or if you like you could take a little bottle of water in

RumourOfAHurricane Sat 30-May-09 09:50:37

But Fran, you heart your moon cup - it really works for you, which is a good thing, obviously, but for me, it is just too much.

My main issue was the leaking. Oh, and when you finally drag the thing out from your fanjo, it kind of gets everywhere.

Fascinating watching though, as you tip it down the toilet.

willowthewispa Sat 30-May-09 12:23:23

I don't understand why yours leaks so much - do you leave it in for a really long time? Do you twist it round once it's in to make sure it has opened fully?

Jam sponge anyone? grin]

I have Fairy Hammocks and they are fab, quick machine wash and they are ready to go again, lovely.

Nothing gross there at all.

RumourOfAHurricane Sat 30-May-09 14:13:07

Well, it doesn't leak as in a huge great flood or anything. I have never suffered from heavy periods - just normal, regular flow tampax required, am only on for 4/5 days at a time.

You're saying it's my fanjo aren't you?

It's not - honest. It is completely normal and un bucket like! grin

mrsmaidamess Sat 30-May-09 14:30:38

Mooncups are all a bit too 'eat your own placenta 'for my liking.

Oh and I'm NEVER eating jam sponge and custard again.

abraid Sat 30-May-09 15:24:41

OK, I need someone to go through some of the technical stuff with me SLOWLY.

I have one. I use it every month. I always leak.

The little holes: I need to make sure these are completely unblocked...?

I need to let it expand and THEN rotate it about 180 degrees...?

I'd love to keep on using it but the expense of replacing ruined clothes is starting to mount.

RumourOfAHurricane Sat 30-May-09 15:35:37

Was not really aware of the little holes, but now you mention it...yes, I can see them round the rim.

Another point is that these things fecking hurt to remove, especially in the first day or two. I almost feel a sense of relief and lean, panting slightly, against the bathroom wall when I have finally managed to grip the bottom of it, and pulled it out s-l-o-w-l-y.

I was impressed the first month I used it - and it's been downhill ever since really.

Free bleed anyone? [vomit emoticon]

RumourOfAHurricane Sat 30-May-09 15:36:47

Christ.

Jam Sponge.

Just NO.

willowthewispa Sat 30-May-09 16:06:06

Make sure you squeeze it to break the suction before you try to pull it out! The first time I tried to take one out I didn't break the suction properly and it really hurt and felt like I was sucking my insides out with it shock I find I have to put my finger and thumb quite far in to squeeze near the top of the cup - then you feel/hear the suction being released and it's easy to slide it out without any spillage. Make sure the holes are all unblocked - I just stick a pin through each one.

wrt leakage - I don't think it's your fanjo grin but I did find initally mine wasn't opening up properly on first insertion. I try to put it in quite high, and twist it round once fully so the sides all ping out into place. I find the mooncup actually comes back down again and finds itself in the right position then.

abraid Sat 30-May-09 16:07:11

Great tips!

PinkTulips Sat 30-May-09 16:43:21

<<<whispers quietly>>>>

i think i may have a little bit of the free bleeding spirit in me blush

i certainly do alot of the things mentioned in that article, i only really tend to use pads outside the house as i abhorr them so much.

<<<slinks out in disgrace>>>>

RumourOfAHurricane Sat 30-May-09 16:49:02

Good God Pink Tulips shock

grin

PinkTulips Sat 30-May-09 17:01:41

it's not that bad if you give yourself a good wash up there in the shower most of it comes out then so you don't really get much on you for a while afterwards and in bed i just lie on a towel.

it helps that dp is completely unperterbed by blood and gore so there's no shameful slinking around pretending i'm not bleeding.

hasten to add though i have never vertured out during the heavy days without a pad... i can just imagine the faces of the middle aged laydeez at dd'd playschool if i wandered up dripping blood... they already think i'm a bit left of leftfield for breastfeeding and using a sling.... and god help them when i start blw grin

AbricotsSecs Sat 30-May-09 17:07:16

I heart my mooncup

Pretty sure lot of the leakage issues could be fixed by inserting better

But deffo each to her own when it comes to affairs of the fandango...

BitOfFun Sat 30-May-09 17:55:10

I can't be arsed using anything on days I'm on either, but only because it's only once in a blue moon and very light when it happens- and definitely wouldn't bother in bed. I see that makes me a hippy grin

bamboobutton Sat 30-May-09 18:02:58

hmmm, i quite like the look of those jam sponge things.

im going to investigate them further!

RumourOfAHurricane Sat 30-May-09 18:10:18

BOF-Yeah, you old hippy, you. You'll be purchasing fairy hammocks next grin

No.DO NOT INVESTIGATE THE JAM SPONGE.

PLEASE.

BitOfFun Sat 30-May-09 18:14:30

Wouldn't the bathroom look like you'd slaughtered something in there when you were changing it?

undermilkwood Sat 30-May-09 18:18:27

http://www.pleasurepuss.com/ these are amazing!!

saramoon Sat 30-May-09 19:26:28

Family is watching Britain's Got Talent on TV and i am giggling in the corner reading this thread, very funny.

RumourOfAHurricane Sat 30-May-09 19:30:05

You're tempted by the jam sponge aren't you Sara? grin

spiggy Sat 30-May-09 20:03:35

have only just discovered MN and would like to complain that this thread has caused severe damange to my laptop when I spat my tea all over it at the thought of a moonbucket- where do I apply for a replacement laptop? grin

I love my mooncup. Although maybe extolling its virtues to my friend in the middle of a crowded pub wasn't the best idea (I might have been a little tipsy) The barman looked like he was going to heave.

RumourOfAHurricane Sat 30-May-09 20:21:18

Hi Spiggy - welcome to mumsnet smile

I would like to take this moment to stress to all that I do NOT need a moon bucket as I do NOT have a bucket fanjo.

This thread has confirmed my decision.........i am never going anywhere near a mooncup!

It sounds far too technical and fraught with risk - blood all over the bathroom, unbreakable suction, your cervix being sucked up....(ok may have made that last one up...)

Washersaurus Sat 30-May-09 20:47:34

Oh and there was I thinking to myself earlier on today how much I loved MN for recommending Mooncups, as mine is so fab - it is so much more reliable and comfortable than tampons.

Jam sponges are a step too far for me though, never mind free bleeding hmm

ilovesprouts Sat 30-May-09 20:53:40

ffs mooncups ewwww forget it stick to the tampax

ilovesprouts Sat 30-May-09 20:58:54

dont want jam sponge ewwwwwwwww [BOAK]

abraid Sat 30-May-09 21:57:17

Please, please, anyone using tampax/Lillets: DON'T flush them down the loo. It is horrific when you are swimming the sea and they are bobbing around next to you (as happened this year to us).

SkaterGrrrrl Sat 30-May-09 22:06:29

Behold normal but eco friendly tampons and pads:

www.simply-eco.co.uk/Female_Hygiene.html

Poppity Sat 30-May-09 22:18:32

I bought one recently after asking on here and getting mostly positive answers, and I have to say I love it.

I know it's a bit manky emptying it, but it's not really much worse than when your tampax fills up too much and flicks out with a great splat on the toilet seat.

I think it's much nicer than jamming a squeaky bit of cotton wool up there, cotton wool puts my teeth on edgegrin

I didn't have any leaks(only one period so far), didn't really have a problem emptying it once I got the hang of getting it out (bear down!), and it's so nice not having giant pants and humungapad on at night.

I did trim the pull cord off though, but it does tell you to do that.

I used to have a mirena, and I think it would have been great for that. I had a teeny tiny period each month with that, so it was towels or dry right outblush with a tampon.

Anyway, what I'm saying generally is, I think it's brill (but in my younger days I did use a sea sponge, don't judge me)grin

RumourOfAHurricane Sat 30-May-09 22:22:10

So glad I'm not eating

grin

BanjosFanjo Sat 30-May-09 22:23:21

Judgey judgey judge grin

RumourOfAHurricane Sat 30-May-09 22:26:47

What the hell is a sea sponge? Sounds horrific.

Actually, I think I can guess... it's an early prototype of a jam sponge isn't it?

As for you not thinking that tampons look like sweets, my dh pulled one out of my handbag whilst looking for a pack of mints, and said what type of sweets are these blush in front of mil! I have the implant and bleed for a morning at most once every few months but the idea of mooncups are revolting.

SkaterGrrrrl Sat 30-May-09 22:36:57

Spending my Saturday night googling eco-friendly sanitary products is not quite what I had planned.....

.... however:

Waitrose (or Ocado, technically) sells these.

whiskersonkittens Sat 30-May-09 22:39:28

Oh dear - the jam sponge does rather appeal to me blush - more then the moonbucket (because that is what I would need!) anyway.

Poppity Sat 30-May-09 22:42:55

It looks to me just like a bit of sea sponge that jam sponge thing, I hadn't read the general horror at that link before I posted my messageblushgrin

It did work really well though, I have to say. I just bought it from a hippy shop after reading about it in some hippy mag, I guess that's quite a lot of hippy right there....

It actually has always disgusted me putting a bit of cotton wool up there. Doesn't it worry anyone else when they are light and they pull out an almost dry tampax? I worry that tiny bits are left up there <boak>.

I think I'm probably a bit guilty of the whole a bit of blood never hurt anyone semi free bleeding tooblush

I'll get my coat.....

RumourOfAHurricane Sat 30-May-09 22:43:12

I find NOTHING appealing about the jam sponge. Nothing.

Ooh,check out those eco friendly pads. grin

hobnob57 Sat 30-May-09 22:43:47

I tried mine for 2 months and loved the idea. A little bit leaky, but could cope with that. What did annoy me was that it left me a bit constipated blush. Glad I'm pg for a while...

...but really want to love it.

Poppity Sat 30-May-09 22:44:04

rofl at 'early prototype'grin

Poppity Sat 30-May-09 22:45:40

Eco friendly maybe, but it's still squeakyweird cotton wool isn't it?

cupcakesinthesnow Sat 30-May-09 22:48:00

LOve, love, love my mooncup. Used to have horribly heavy periords due to normal non hormone coil. Super plus extra tampons not good enough so enter mooncup and bingo all problems disappeared - an absolute godsend. Then after a year I had a mirena and now with light periods I still find my mooncup fabulous as don't get that sore dry tampon removel thing one gets on light days. My friends found that when she had problems with her mooncup, increasing pelvic exercises sorted it out. She has also used a jam sponge and syas they are great for light days as well. I have never had a problem removing and empting it even when having mega heavy periods and used ti leak allt he time in bed but bot with mooncup. God bless the mooncup, I say!

RumourOfAHurricane Sat 30-May-09 22:53:15

I vote that we don't say the words ' jam sponge ' any more....

paisleyleaf Sat 30-May-09 22:59:39

" I worry that tiny bits are left up there <boak>."

THEY ARE!! I saw a pic in a magazine (sometime around 1990) and haven't used a tampon since.

Poppity Sat 30-May-09 23:00:42

No-one else with cotton wool fear then?

Hehe shiney, how about sea pearls instead then?

Poppity Sat 30-May-09 23:04:02

Oh paisley, I'm weirdly pleased at that bit of info. I've always thought I was being freaky, along the same lines as me not breathing when people fart for fear of breathing in 'poo molecules'grin

hunkermunker Sat 30-May-09 23:05:33

I think it's fascinating that women have been conditioned to think that unsterile, bleached wodges of cotton wool are fine to use (when they carry warnings for toxic shock syndrome in the boxes!), but a sterilised cup is in some way revolting.

RumourOfAHurricane Sat 30-May-09 23:06:13

SEA PEARLS? I swear to all that is holy that I have seen it all now.

Poppity you are making me laugh. What the hell are poo molecdules?

whiskersonkittens Sat 30-May-09 23:10:05

He he seems there is lots of choice - try Moon Times

Think I like the jam sponge the best tho for pure inventiveness of the name grin

SkaterGrrrrl Sat 30-May-09 23:10:12

<wants to click on the SEA PEARLS link but has the fear>

whiskersonkittens Sat 30-May-09 23:10:58

OMG I have just had the most revolting thought linked in with jam sponge and custard - think it is time I went to bed blush

whiskersonkittens Sat 30-May-09 23:13:00

Pink Robin WTF that is just a weird name ... not to mention perpetuating the pink gender stereotyping wink

GreenMonkies Sat 30-May-09 23:14:00

I think YANBU, but I don't know why you leak!!

I love my Mooncup, it's great!!! I actually think it has improved my pelvic floor.......

ReneRusso Sat 30-May-09 23:14:20

Ah poo molecules - reminds me of the movie The Ice Storm is that where you got the idea Poppity?

whiskersonkittens Sat 30-May-09 23:15:51

I have just read this

"I've also heard about women saving the menstrual blood and feeding it to their plants (I guess it's really good for flowering plants)"

any comments from mooncup users? is it good for acid loving plants?

RumourOfAHurricane Sat 30-May-09 23:19:43

What the hell is a ' Sea Pearls Prolapse Sponge?'

The mind truly boggles.

Ponymum Sat 30-May-09 23:23:09

I have the fear just reading this thread! grin But I keep coming back and reading more. DH can't believe that the things I am reading out to him are real. He says I have a morbid fascination with reading this. Slaughtered chicken...? hmm Before MN I had never met people in RL who use a mooncup. In fact, I think that it only actually exists in Mumsnetworld.

Ponymum Sat 30-May-09 23:25:14

Now imagining what sort of place Mumsnetworld is. hmm

BitOfFun Sat 30-May-09 23:28:37

Ponymum, I am a sucker for buying Mn-related products online while pissed in fits of misplaced enthusiasm...they are real and actually cost real money blush

Btw, someone remind me what the holes in the mooncup are for?

Poppity Sat 30-May-09 23:31:42

Rene, I haven't seen that film- I just imagine the tiny weeny bits of poo floating through the air and being sucked up my nose <boak>.

I'm intrigued though, what happens with poo molecules in the film?

Sea pearls prolapse sponge?! Is that like a little mattress for your uterus?

RumourOfAHurricane Sat 30-May-09 23:33:22

* Cue Twilight Zone music *

<< Visions of tumbling mooncups >>

CherryChoc Sat 30-May-09 23:38:18

I am a bit worried about the prolapse sponge too... the website is very quiet about it grin but it's more expensive than the large size! What an odd name...

Aw, this thread has made me wonder now, everything I've read about the mooncup before has been fantastic and the only negative reactions have been people who didn't like the idea (and so hadn't tried it) - but now I don't know whether to try it or not, it sounds like a good idea in theory but I have a tilted cervix and am not v. good with tampons etc anyway.

paisleyleaf Sat 30-May-09 23:40:09

Oh no, I got lost a while just then looking into poo molecules - because I remember Kim & Aggie saying about them being airbound when you flush the loo (even with lid down).
And I've googled too much and I'm now concerned about our toothbrushes in the small bathroom we have.

(I remember that film, it was odd. I don't remember the poo molecules reference though).

Anyway. Sorry, mooncups......

ReneRusso Sat 30-May-09 23:43:33

Poppity, the Ice Storm has a memorable bit where 2 kids are discussing how when you smell something you actually ingest the molecules so when you go into the bathroom after someone else it's like you are eating some of their poo. It was a weird film, admittedly.

Ponymum Sat 30-May-09 23:44:52

In Mumsnetworld:
- everyone uses mooncups
- babies are BF on demand until 12 months old
- baby led weaning of course (only organic free range chicken, def no Farleys rusks)
- everyone is a lentil weaver
- GF (who??) and routines don't exist
grin grin

<<started off making a joke then realise I am already doing half of these things, oh god what is MN doing to me? next thing I will be buying a mooncup shock>>

whiskersonkittens Sat 30-May-09 23:46:35

here is a list of uses from the site:

They have also been used for...
prolapse wombs,
with Tea Tree Oil as a pessary to clear up thrush
topping and tailing newborn babies,
removing cosmetics...

hmm

Poppity Sat 30-May-09 23:46:50

I don't breathe when I flush the loo eitherblush

Cherry, I have a tilted cervix too, it doesn't seem to be a problem. I think you just need to be 'in touch' with what going on in theregrin

<ponders at fear of poo molecules and suchlike, yet no problem with cervix hunting and rinsing colourful sponges>

Poppity Sat 30-May-09 23:48:47

Whiskers, rofl at 'removing cosmetics', are there fanjo cosmetics available now then? A bit of labia lippy?grin

Poppity Sat 30-May-09 23:52:36

Rene, 'when you go into the bathroom after someone else it's like you are eating some of their poo'

that's just how I feel <boak>

I have to go to bed now sadly

<<munches a few alfalfa sprouts for late night snack and dons homewoven nightshirt before climbing into futon>>

RumourOfAHurricane Sat 30-May-09 23:55:01

Pony Mum - To reassure you... I have never B/F ever, I detest lentils, baby led weaning is not something I ever considered, I weaned my children at 14 weeks and I used GF too.

Happier now?!? grin

Everyone is different on here, and of course, you do get people with very strong beliefs. I just avoid them grin

PinkTulips Sun 31-May-09 00:06:16

i think it may be time for bed as i just posted this on the wrong thread... and a rather serious one to boot blush.......

the only use for the jam sponge i've ever heard of was when a friend was meeting a long distance romance and was freaking out because she was on her period.

another friend suggested she use a sea sponge as she could have sex with it in and he'd be none the wiser

blogqueen Sun 31-May-09 09:26:54

Not everyone is suited to the Mooncup, you could try a different brand. there is a lot of help on this forum -Live Journal
I started off with a Mooncup and didn't get on with it so I moved over to a Lunette and I have never looked back.
I bought both from Feminine Wear because they were the cheapest and didn't charge postage on top. And they arrived the next day.
I have been using my Lunette for 6 months now and must have saved myself a fortune!

RumourOfAHurricane Sun 31-May-09 09:55:26

Thanks blog. I do fear that my days of moon cupping- and all alternatives- are behind me! The sea pearls and jam sponge merely reinforced that. grin

PinkTulips Sun 31-May-09 10:05:11

so you're going with the free bleeding then shiney? wink

CherryChoc Sun 31-May-09 11:23:04

Whiskers you forgot serving tea to decorators grin ... although that does remind me of a very <boak> inducing joke involving tampons being teabags for vampires.

RumourOfAHurricane Sun 31-May-09 16:45:05

There will be no supporting of the free bleeding movement in the Shiney household. grin

Dizzyclarebear Sun 31-May-09 17:49:55

ladies, thank you, you've made me cry laughing.

Free bleeding - might be great for the environment but I have a cream sofa, I don't want to have several days a month I can't sit on it...

RumourOfAHurricane Sun 31-May-09 18:06:42

Dizzy - Never mind your cream sofa, just think of the environment grin

CandleQueen Sun 31-May-09 19:19:20

Bloody hell, it's taken me an hour to read this thread and I've laughed all the way through!!

I for one love my Mooncup.

ChippingIn - what's it like having a tiled cervix? How did you grout it? grin

RumourOfAHurricane Sun 31-May-09 19:50:00

I laughed at the tiled cervix bit too grin

Elpis Sun 31-May-09 19:58:50

I was getting on really well with mine. Boiled it after each period and rinsed it after emptying. Then I caught a vaginal infection and spent all Sunday in A&E before being given three types of antibiotics. And then, of course, I got thrush.

melmog Mon 01-Jun-09 09:22:58

Just come back from a weekend away with friends and family where I happened upon a mooncup in the tray with all the shampoos and shower gels. Lovely! It was clean though and at least it satisfied my curiosity as I'd never seen one before!

RumourOfAHurricane Mon 01-Jun-09 14:40:20

Mel- Do you think it was a complimentary mooncup? grin

PurplePoppy Mon 01-Jun-09 15:43:31

I haven't gone back and read all the posts yet, but I LOVE mooncup. Have been using it for about 3 years now. So much cheaper and more convinient than tampons and towels, and if you are camping or otherwise without loos you are never stuck with difficult disposal problems. Mine never ever leaks but the smaller size did. And I used to get thrush (TMI??) with tampons but never ever do now.

One tip though (probably been said) definately cut off the crazy stick thing sticking out the bottom. Otherwise it randomly spikes you! And hide it from your guests

AddictedtoCrunchies Mon 01-Jun-09 16:27:16

I have to say, Shineon you win the award for being one of the funniest posters on here. I pmsl regularly at what you have to say.

I too thought that a mooncup was a bit....eurgh...but thought I'd be cast out of the MN community. I now have a snot mark on my screen where I laughed so hard.

Thank you for brightening up my afternoon.

bamboobutton Mon 01-Jun-09 16:53:49

well i investigated the jam sponge and..... i bought one!shock

i can't wait for the post to arrive tomorrow, it almost feels like christmas. i am pathetically excitedgrin

flippyflop Mon 01-Jun-09 19:22:30

I have been thinking of a mooncup (not a moonbucket..my fanjo is pristine after 2 sections!) for a while due to green thoughts & also the not liking of chemicals & other crap - not literally - up me flue. I am quite heavy & the whole emptying/possible leakage thing has put me off till now...but after reading the entire thread from start to finish I'm now strongly considering a jam sponge!

Crap name, but looks a great product...

What dya think? If you are a devotee tell me all..

flippyflop Mon 01-Jun-09 19:23:45

...oh & what's GF btw?

(sorry for being thick.. I obviously don't truly belong on mumsnet!) shock

x x

mintymum Mon 01-Jun-09 20:30:32

On a practical note I use one of those microwave steriliser bags to clean it each month (my mooncup not my fanjo!)

RumourOfAHurricane Mon 01-Jun-09 20:49:59

Addictedtocrunchies - ( me too, incidentally. Please see my totally hilarious Health thread for tips on how I am beating said addiction, but I digress... )

Don't be fooled into thinking that everyone on MN hearts the cup of moon. They don't. They all pretend to,mind, but they don't really. Some do, but I avoid talking to them grin

Ah, and thank you, by the way.. but this thread was started in all seriousness and it's you lot who have lowered the tone of it with your talk of jam sponges, sea pearls and free bleeding.

Hang on...what did you say?I started the free bleed discussion?!? Oh. Sorry.

flippyflop Mon 01-Jun-09 21:40:10

i just had to explain to my DH what the hell i was doing looking up *free bleeding* as I realised (too late) that I was on his log in & it would come up on his search history!! He is now convinced I'm even more weird than he originally thought - which was already bad enough.. & thinks that all mumsnetters are equally weird.

so sorry, ladies, you are all being tarred with the same brush!!

& still no one has told me what GF is... <waiting & scratching head emoticon> blush

RumourOfAHurricane Mon 01-Jun-09 21:42:32

GF? Gina Ford probably. Or Girl Friend! smile

You gonna give the free bleeding a go then? Why just have your DH THINK you are odd, when you can practice free bleeding and prove it to him without a shadow of a doubt grin

flippyflop Mon 01-Jun-09 21:47:05

ooh never thought of that!

no actually I'm not with that one.. its bad enough when it happens unintentionally IYKWIM!!
Plus there's only me to wash, clean the cream sofa... etc etc...

Just wondering how I can explain away the JAM SPONGE though if I do decide to give it a go. I can just imagine the comments as its left on the window sill to air dry, with a hint of tea tree, as suggested hmm

Poppity Mon 01-Jun-09 21:59:28

Flippy, I used a sea sponge (which is what the jam sponge is I think? An 'early prototype' as named by shineygrin)

It was great

You couldn't feel it

It didn't leak, but I only had a light flow back in those days...

It was easy to get in and out

It was easy to clean

Best of all, it freaked out all your friends! Mine were torn between fascination and revulsion I believegrin

I don't think it would be all that good with a heavy flow unless you were very regular with changing, not sure. Perhaps though, the Jam Sponge or Sea Pearl is the new deluxe version with extra absorbency?

RumourOfAHurricane Mon 01-Jun-09 22:04:28

I think I would rather gouge out my ovaries with a rusty teaspoon than shove something called a sea sponge up my fanjo.

And if that don't make quote of the week, then I'm the Pope

grin

Legacy Mon 01-Jun-09 22:13:03

How did we manage to let Caroline Lucas chat for 1 whole hour this lunchtime, and not ask her if she mooncups?!

I love mine.

And since 1.30 pm today I love Caroline Lucas....

OMG - I have become Green without even realising it shock

flippyflop Mon 01-Jun-09 22:14:31

hey but on the upside shine.. you'd have no need for fanjo blood catching implements at all if you did choose that option!

..maybe could catch on as an alternative?...

& I'll second that for quote of the week - who do we have to suggest it to?! x

JustWannaBeMe Mon 01-Jun-09 22:28:07

The thing that really puts me off sticking spongebob up my fanjo is the fact that we sell similar natural sponges at work in the babies section, and they quite clearly state that "debris may be left inside the sponge", ewwww!! shock

I have visions of baby spongebobs swimming up my vag canal!

RumourOfAHurricane Mon 01-Jun-09 22:31:57

Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?

Sponge Bob Square Pants.

Nezzi Tue 02-Jun-09 10:22:19

I've loved reading this thread, thank you!

I can't get along with my Mooncup either so I'm either going to put it on Freecycle hmm or start a new thread "How do I recycle a Mooncup?" in the interest of, The Environment of course!

RumourOfAHurricane Tue 02-Jun-09 11:41:26

Apparently, people will buy mooncups second hand. No, really..

I have one up for grabs

Form an orderly queue please!

Poppity Tue 02-Jun-09 14:49:35

Now that is icky, not yours especially shiney, just anyone's. Worse than a second hand g-stringgrin

RumourOfAHurricane Tue 02-Jun-09 17:20:07

I promise I'll give it a quick rinse first..

doodledee Thu 04-Jun-09 19:46:30

LOVE MINE, took a bit of fiddling to get it in right position etc but wouldn't be without it now. I take my todler swimming every week annd have (apprehensively at first) worn it on day 2 and 3 of cycle when i would normally need a super tampon and pad and no leaks, its great, wear it overnight with no problems too

DisasterZone Thu 04-Jun-09 21:43:03

Had to stop reading the thread as I was howling, crying, dripping snot on the keyboard and wheezing like a bastid. Most fun I've had in ages. What a laugh.

For the record have used Mooncup for 2 years. Never got on well with tampons, mooncup still leaks but not as badly as tampons. Have tried every fold and insertion technique on the planet....some months are better than others.

I blame my oddly shaped fanjo (grin), cervix is too close to the outer world I guess, so the mooncup is popped on and pretty annoying to the rest of the set up much of the time. Great for night time though. Never had any probs getting it out I suppose because it's only just in.

I love/hate my mooncup - but I hate menstruating more. What a design fault that was....

RumourOfAHurricane Thu 04-Jun-09 21:48:41

Huh.

Serious thread y'know...

grin

2002jolly Thu 04-Jun-09 21:52:21

I LOVE my mooncup, and even wear it at night, while swimming, performing etc.
Have used it for 5 years now, and even got some of my friends who are dancers to use it also, and they love it too. If you find you have a little spotting initially, use a panty liner for peace of mind until you get used to it. You just need a disabled toilet with a sink (or some chemical free wet wipes) and off you go. Good for your health, good for your pocket and good for the environment!

ALERT: Newbie posting

This is the first thing that has made me truly smile in weeks. Husband made redundant from end of April, then me made redundant last week and now DS2, has three teeth coming through together. This thread however, is giving me the will to live again... I'm so buying a mooncup, just so I can actively join in with the fanjo discussion. Thank god for mumsnet and you all....

grin

ALERT: Newbie posting :0

Can I say please, that this is the first thing that has made me truly smile in weeks.
Husband made redundant from good job end April, the me made redundant last week and now DS2, has three teeth coming through together. This thread however, is giving me the will to live again... I'm so buying a mooncup, just so I can actively join in with the fanjo discussion. Thank god for mumsnet and you all....

grin

blueshoes Thu 04-Jun-09 22:56:45

Welcome to mn, norfbird. <hands you a mooncup>

FWIW, as lots of people have posted in favour of mooncups, I got mine a few years ago, bit leaky at first, but much more comfy than with tampons and less period pain too, so I stuck with it, wearing a (environmentally friendly) pad too as a back-up.

Then got pg with second child so mooncup idled in bathroom cabinet for nearly 2 years till periods returned January this year, with a vengance! At first, mooncup really leaky and I almost gave up but remembered mooncup advice on website about pelvic floor exercises (and midwife harping on about doing them - but not for mooncup reasons!) so I religiously did (and sort of still do) pelvic floor exs and it has improved mooncup performance greatly! I'd recommend doing them to anyone having leaks with their mooncup!

So now all is well, and to boot, whilst shopping online for new washable nappies (first child's terries too old and thin to use!), I bought washable san pads in garish purplely colours (my fave colour is purple) and I now use mooncup with the lunapads as back up - they are really soft and comfy!

BitOfFun Thu 04-Jun-09 23:14:44

There you go Shiney- you just have a slack fanjo gringringrin

rlp Fri 05-Jun-09 00:06:43

I really like mine and have only had one accident when I really didn't realise it wasn't correctly inserted. Not a popular opinion on this thread - but I wouldn't go back to tampons.

ChippingIn Fri 05-Jun-09 00:16:32

AskABusyPerson - you know how sometimes you just know you're going to regret asking something... but have to anyway... well a friend of mine was asking me (honestly!!) what pelvic floor exercises I could recommend (preferably where you don't need to buy anything to do them), but I have never done any and the only one I know of is holding your urine mid flow, I said I'd ask on here and you seem like the best person to ask....

I could just google of course, but I thought any that come with a recommendation would be better

Please feel free to ignore this... blush

Sazisi Fri 05-Jun-09 00:17:54

Oh I love this thread

I've had a mooncup for about 5 years, but the last time I used it (maybe a year ago?) I got awful, awful, horrible thrush for the first time ever and haven't dared use it since hmm
Oh it was itchy!

SamiBee Fri 05-Jun-09 02:35:17

Chipping - you shouldn't stop the flow as a way of exercising as it can lead to UTI's, although its OK to do that at first to find out where they are

for those totally freaked out (like me) by the "may contain debris" of a natural sponge, what about the randomly named beppy www.passion8.co.uk/Beppy-Comfort-Tampons/productinfo/8654/

kistigger Fri 05-Jun-09 13:06:54

Not been on here for a while... just read this thread out of interest...
Whilst crying & rofl, my DD (age 3) comes in and asks why i'm laughing... how do you explain periods, blood flow, mooncups/buckets and bumbos inserted up goodness only knows where??!!! grin
I saw an advert for mooncups in a mag ages ago and thought what a good idea but have never really had the guts to go buy one... perhaps an online perchase rather than boots may be the way forward!!!
Although some of the things people have said would put me off slightly... I am still very tempted to try one!

I'm interested in the whole sponge and washable pads thing... what do you do when you are out? How do you wash/rinse them? How do you take them home? This sounds far worse than taking babies pooey clothes home in a nappy sack!!!! And sounds worse than emptying a mooncup down the toilet!
And, out of interest how do you get the sponge/pads etc clean? I have trouble getting small bits of blood out of clothing and sheets etc no matter how much i rinse, soak and scrub. My DH says I should wash at 90C... which, if is the case, surely defeats the object of trying to be green!! hmm

Carri70 Mon 08-Jun-09 14:57:00

Never tried one, and I dont ever want to now! But i've had a good laugh reading these posts, if not a bit grossed out too! grin

RumourOfAHurricane Mon 08-Jun-09 21:12:42

I forbid you all to use washable sanitary protection.

grin

Antdamm Thu 09-Jul-09 21:10:57

This should be in Classics.

LMAO grin

Mummy2LZ Thu 09-Jul-09 21:49:18

I just looked it up as I have never heard of this before.
How the bloody hell do you get that thing up there?? blush shock

I guess you need some private toilet time without 2 toddlers asking you what you are doing! lol

MamaLazarou Fri 10-Jul-09 09:39:57

I have also had no success with mooncups. I have tried both sizes but just can't get it up there without it hurting, and getting it out again is eye-wateringly painful. Maybe my foo is just too small (this will change in January when the baby comes).

RumourOfAHurricane Fri 10-Jul-09 10:37:49

Mama - yes, you will be in possession of a bucket fanny by then, so lobbing a moon cup up there should be childsplay grin

They ARE possible to insert but require the contortions of a circus performer.

Don't believe the hype! [public enemy (tm)]

Vigilanteawarenessraiser Fri 10-Jul-09 11:01:30

kistigger, your DH is wrong - hot water sets blood in! You need to soak in cold water, preferably before it dries completely. Washing at 90 will probably make things worse.

I use washable pads and I absolutely love them. Just want to get up on my soapbox and tell everyone how wonderful they are. They are sooooooooo comfy compared to disposables, wish I'd swapped years ago but I didn't know they existed. They are not like dirty nappies - you fold the used ones up into a little envelope shape (blood on the inside protected by several folds of fabric), snap them together and pop them into a little airtight bag. Then you soak in cold water when you get home, and wash at 40. They are much less icky than disposables. Also if you react to the chemicals in disposable pads and tampons/suffer from recurrent thrush/suffer other gynae problems (I tick all these boxes), not using disposables can improve things considerably. I have suffered badly in the past, and nothing on earth would induce me to use a disposable pad again. Ever. Hate the things. They are the devils sanitary protection. So dammit, Shineon grin i'm going to have nice pads with girly flowers and stripes. Because I'm worth it wink

Vigilanteawarenessraiser Fri 10-Jul-09 11:03:18

Devil's sanitary protection.
Sorry blush

RumourOfAHurricane Fri 10-Jul-09 11:09:24

Vigilante - No, I am sorry. Once you start using washable sanitary protection, you are standing at the top of a very slippery slope.

What next?

Crystal rock deodeorant things? Feng shui-ing you living room? Going for tarot card readings? Collecting wild nettles at dawn and whipping up a tasty soup?

Where will it end??

grin

Antdamm Fri 10-Jul-09 13:00:47

I'm ever so slightly tempted to buy a mooncup now. Been looking online at them. Too scared to make a decision either way.

Definitely not a fan of pads, so washable ones are just too icky to think about.

Oh my, girls you have me in tears, totally forgoten about my trip to the dentist later... well almost... sniff sniff!

MamaLazarou Fri 10-Jul-09 13:57:27

Thank you, shineon. I feel so much better. hmm grin

RumourOfAHurricane Fri 10-Jul-09 15:52:37

I think everyone should give it a go.

You just feel a bit ' alternative ' when wearing it.

Surprised no one had really laid me out over this thread. Some people LOVE them..

Ick.

Pixel Fri 10-Jul-09 19:19:01

I bought a mooncup months ago and have been too scared to try it until this week. I feel quite proud now that I've actually done it! I've even been out on my bike with no problems so I think I may have become a convert.

MonkeyPoo Wed 09-Sep-09 11:17:42

Read this last night from the link in best ever. Now, I'm new to this whole MN game, but think I may fit in. grin
ROFL at the thread, and kept thinking about it overnight. Inner monologue went like this:

Cue music, moonpig mooncup.com!!
'I say old chum, do you know where I can get a totally spiffing fanjo plug?'

Muddymallard Wed 12-Sep-12 10:22:37

After reading this whole thread, slipped out slightly embarrassed to buy one.

Not embarrassed any more! I am proudly sporting my mooncup today, I think it is absobloodylutley brill, life changing in my case, usually on day one, after the walk to school for example (10 mins), I would be desperate to get home, in a right mess.

I feel liberated, and I certainly feel a lot cleaner and fresher. I can actually leave the house without worry! And no more landfill guilt.

valiumredhead Wed 12-Sep-12 12:14:23

I think it's fascinating that women have been conditioned to think that unsterile, bleached wodges of cotton wool are fine to use (when they carry warnings for toxic shock syndrome in the boxes!), but a sterilised cup is in some way revolting

Quite!

And what is with all the withdrawn messages?? confused

eurochick Wed 12-Sep-12 12:33:16

Zombie thread revived by the mooncup marketing department?

valiumredhead Wed 12-Sep-12 13:45:22

Oh I didn't notice that date, ffs!

WineGoggles Wed 12-Sep-12 17:40:58

I'm really glad I bought a Mooncup as I prefer it to pads (soggy mess...yuk) and tampons (my periods go from heavy on one day to virtually nothing the next, to middling the next so they just dried me out on the light days...not good). It took a while to find the best technique for me but now I'm getting on great with it so it is worth persevering. However, I work from home so have the luxury of my own private loo and sink at all times, but wouldn't fancy having to empty it in a public loo as it can be quite messy, plus it makes weird suction noises during insertion and removal! blush Also I've found that blood sits on the bottom of the loo bowl and doesn't like to flush away easily, which wouldn't be great if you share a loo with colleagues or strangers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now