In thinking it'sprobably best not to send your child to school fro WBD dressed as Hitler?

(112 Posts)
Peachy Fri 06-Mar-09 09:27:34

efore anyone says LOL I didn't get it wrong- DH pointed it out, I said oh no must be Charlie Chaplin or somesuch then kid took off coat toreveal lovingly embroidered swatiokas.

It did concern me that the Mummight be on here then I thought no! It isn't OK and its worth making a fuss over.

AIBU?

Does anyone elses thought processes runa long the lines of 'Oh a favourite literare character? no darling skip Roald Dahl, Seuss and Grimm.... we'll go for a genocidalmaniac instead! No chance of suplication there!'

FFS

Buda Sat 07-Mar-09 07:37:23

Just thinking about this. My 7 year old would have no idea who Hitler was. So I am assuming that nor would most of his peers or anyone at school younger than him. Not sure what year they tackle WW2 although as Eilatan points out even if they have tackled WW2 there is no guarantee that they really know the evil of Hitler. And in that case you can carry the supposition on to assume that his parents don't know either. If the child likes reading warcraft books and the parents don't know about Hitler, he could be just another character to them.

(Coming from a point of view where I am regularly amazed at how people seem to come through the education system not knowing fairly major things - met 2 girls once on my first ever holiday abroad, me from Ireland, them from England - they didn't realise that Ireland and England were on separate islands - nothing surprises me now!)

Peachy Fri 06-Mar-09 19:34:27

Aw Seeker Im sorry grin- nobody is biting here, Ie xpected a fewmore freedom of speech posts tbh.

The trolldmust be diffing elsewhere tonight. Bunkers, perhaps wink

seeker Fri 06-Mar-09 17:46:32

<seeker sits sulkily in corner because no one rose to her Chairman Mao post>

thirtysomething Fri 06-Mar-09 17:36:49

that's just sick. remarkably so in fact. Bet they wouldn't have gone as a member of the Klu Klux Klan??? How can anyone let their child go out dressed like that? What was the school's reaction?

Peachy Fri 06-Mar-09 17:34:33

If he was reasding warcraft books though maye they did know and just thought it was OK?

That's the scary bit isn't it; ignorance I can deal with, deliberate act would be terribly scary

Eilatan Fri 06-Mar-09 17:08:39

"Could they have got World Book Day and World Dictator Day all confused? Surely Mein Kampf not widely read in primary schools?"

Oh that's funny! I think senior managment and ofsted read Mein Kampf...actually ofsted probably think it's a bit wishywashy liberal!

It is weird and in awful taste but Hitler does appear in popular fiction a lot. It seems as time passes we forget the horror and these people become folk (anti) heroes.

Because I'm old and remember the NF I find it all horrific. A year 9 asked me, quite without malice, the other day, why the term Brit was ok but Paki wasn't. THAT took some major deconstruction.

This sounds pompous but maybe the parents are young and not very aware. Or maybe they're neo nazis!?!?!?

I'm amazed, daily, what 'young people of today' (where's me slippers?) do and don't know. They can do any number of clever things with multi media and know so little about the world. I did a holocaust day lesson recently which I prepared on the graphic novel Maus thinking it would be interesting to debate whether this was an appropriate way to tell a holocaust story and I ended up spending most of the lesson explaining the holocaust (as if you could!). Some of the kids had been on the annual school trip to Poland Auschwitz (sp?) and they still couldn't connect Hitler with it! Then some idiots (not from my group) went off and taunted the poor German MFL teacher... STILL missing the point!

rubyslippers Fri 06-Mar-09 16:55:18

would be interested to hear what the school say next week

am surprised they didn't make him change

all very odd

Peachy Fri 06-Mar-09 16:53:44

My guessis they didnt want to be seen to do the attention thing but am unsure of judgement on this

GASP!
have just discussed this with dp (both teachers) we would not have allowed child to stay dressed like that, I would have put him i n spare clothes and explained that it was not appropriate, could make all sorts of people very upset, and then, I think, spoken to parents.
poor child.
and warcraft books? confirms my suspicions of such things.

Peachy Fri 06-Mar-09 16:34:50

OK update but I willa dd this si from ds1 who's not always reliable but he did seem to have details

Kid not sent home, no mention amde. During pairings (each younger child had an upper school mentor) Hitler was paired with ds1 and said his favourite books were warcraft books.

I ahve a meeting at school anyway next week, am going to raise for sure as am not appreciative of this at all.

vjg13 Fri 06-Mar-09 16:28:41

Maybe the parents thought is was WW2 day and not WBD?!

Really have no idea what the parents were thinking and I really hope the school acted.

oopsagain Fri 06-Mar-09 15:08:20

sorry- !i didn't see him again, mummy" has made me laugh grin
really laugh.
wonder where he went.......

and if he's comiing bacl.

I'll not go any further re the joke becauce is it s bloody awful subject to be thinking about-
bloody hell.

and, yes, I am missing woolies big style.
I need laces and blue tack and felt tips.
(and dictator costume grin)

justaboutindisguise Fri 06-Mar-09 15:07:14

Ah. difficult. I see.

Peachy Fri 06-Mar-09 15:04:43

Justabout, the nly reason i didnt go haring in is aI was presented with another issue to sort (apparenlty ds1 escaped school yesterday) and didnt want to be going in with a list IYSWIM? However I am awaiting a CRB check clearance to start volunteering there, and that seems to me a point where I can ask and learn abut attitudes?Infants are hoping to use my background toexpance their RE beyond Christianity and that alone, am hoping that willfollow through (Vicar always been anti it but he and I get along so might hel, thin he'd trust me not to have an agenda)

justaboutindisguise Fri 06-Mar-09 15:01:47

Actually, Peachy, I think you should complain. I don't often say that but that is SO disrespectful to, er, everyone.

Peachy Fri 06-Mar-09 15:01:45

OOps they dont do anything at Woolies now y'know!

I do realise about Hitler being out for more than Jewish people- wonder if thats why I was so chocked, as I have disabled kids and recognise what might have happened to them if Hitler had succeeded <shudders>.

Willupdate if I hear anything; hoping he was quietly reoved and all I hear is DS2 saying ' I didnt see him again Mummy'. Would be terribly sad if the parents caused child to get into trouble.

squeaver Fri 06-Mar-09 14:59:26

W
T
F
???????

Update us after pick-up, peachy. Surely someone will have said something to the school?

oopsagain Fri 06-Mar-09 14:59:21

yes, polish, gay, catholics,

ffs - hitler

they don't do tjose at woollies do they?

buttercreamfrosting Fri 06-Mar-09 14:51:43

I'm not sure it really matters whether or not there are Jewish children attending the school.
Wouldn't most people be offended by this - regardless of their religion?

Peachy Fri 06-Mar-09 14:48:58

(And I am not assuming the parents are neo-nazi's btw. Naive at worst? Am blinding myself to possibility of anything worse as really that would be too awful)

Peachy Fri 06-Mar-09 14:47:59

The letters BTW said 'your favourite literary character'.

theITgirl Fri 06-Mar-09 14:44:41

I am going to regret hitting post

theITgirl Fri 06-Mar-09 14:44:14

The only reason I can think of, is that the parents hate finding a costume for WBD hae 5 more children to put through primary school and think that this is the way to stop once and for all ever having to organise a costume again grin

But even so .......

(sorry, I know it is not a laughing matter)

catsmother Fri 06-Mar-09 14:37:26

Maybe I used the wrong adjective there Smithagain. Obviously, witches, monsters etc are not strictly sympathetic but, (at least in most books meant for young children) they are usually meant to be fun in some respect ..... even if that is "funnily" scary.

Like you I'm sure Hitler doesn't exist as a sympathetic character in any child's book (excluding Neo-Nazi propoganda perhaps) but taking that a step further my understanding of World Book Day and all the dressing up was that the chosen character should at least be one you admire, or find interesting ....... I suppose (stretching it somewhat) it might be argued that Hitler is an "interesting" figure but really can't see that a 7 year old is going to have a genuine interest in the psychology behind your typical dictator/meglomaniac/ruthless killer etc etc.

I hope the school are equally baffled and concerned about this. It's highly inappropriate and they should be speaking to the parents to find out what their motives were ..... maybe they are just incredibly thick and need to be re-educated in 20th century history.

Hulababy Fri 06-Mar-09 14:28:04

At 5-10 I doubt any of the children seriously would have chosen Hitler as their character of choice. It surely has to have come fromt he parents, and obviously as he did come dressed as Hitler his parents condoned the outfit too.

It is inappropriate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now