In thinking it'sprobably best not to send your child to school fro WBD dressed as Hitler?

(112 Posts)
Peachy Fri 06-Mar-09 09:27:34

efore anyone says LOL I didn't get it wrong- DH pointed it out, I said oh no must be Charlie Chaplin or somesuch then kid took off coat toreveal lovingly embroidered swatiokas.

It did concern me that the Mummight be on here then I thought no! It isn't OK and its worth making a fuss over.

AIBU?

Does anyone elses thought processes runa long the lines of 'Oh a favourite literare character? no darling skip Roald Dahl, Seuss and Grimm.... we'll go for a genocidalmaniac instead! No chance of suplication there!'

FFS

Peachy Fri 06-Mar-09 09:28:08

duplication

southeastastra Fri 06-Mar-09 09:28:14

omg really?!!

rubyslippers Fri 06-Mar-09 09:28:22

YANBU - that is in bad taste

i couldn't imagine putting my child in a outfit which featured swastikas

horrid

Threadworm Fri 06-Mar-09 09:28:58

Not much chance of supplication either, with hitler.

I agree. Totally outrageous.

cocolepew Fri 06-Mar-09 09:29:03

Well.. I know he wrote a book, but really what were they thinking?!? shock

NoBiggy Fri 06-Mar-09 09:29:06

Blimey!

JackBauer Fri 06-Mar-09 09:29:39

I really really hope you are taking the piss here peachy!

That's shocking

rubyslippers Fri 06-Mar-09 09:29:55

i wonder if the school made him change?

it is just horrible

Lizzylou Fri 06-Mar-09 09:29:56

shock
I doubt very much that the child has even read Mein Kampf either, what's wrong with Harry Potter FGS?

seeker Fri 06-Mar-09 09:31:25

Can't see the problem - mine went in as Chairman Mao. The Red Book is his favourite bed time reading.

Boco Fri 06-Mar-09 09:34:15

[omg]
Could they have got World Book Day and World Dictator Day all confused? Surely Mein Kampf not widely read in primary schools?

Peachy Fri 06-Mar-09 09:36:53

No I am not taking the piss(not my style).

I would have turned kid around and sent him home asking him to ask his Mum why she let him have WBD ruined, but last I saw school were letting him in.

Bellebelle Fri 06-Mar-09 09:39:56

YANBU that is terrible but it did make me laugh as its so outrageous! Really hope that the child/parents did it as a joke!

EyeballsintheSky Fri 06-Mar-09 09:40:46

shock shock shock shock shock shock

I don't know what else to say but shock

I guess he wrote a fair few leaflets... <<struggles to think of any reason why this would be a good, never mind literary-based idea>>

FannyWaglour Fri 06-Mar-09 09:41:08

They were not to dress as authors surely?
I doubt he would dress us as Hitler the author, in which case nobody could dress up as Charlie or Harry Potter, they would have to dress up like Roald Dahl, or J.K Rowling.

Hitler, and war, has inspired many books.

Dressing up as Hitler will enable the teacher to let the class ponder such heavy issues.

Bad taste, maybe, but why brush it under the carpet? You would come under heavy criticism for denying Auswitch and what went on. Why eradicate Hitler? He was a very important character in the history of Europe, the entire planet. And not for good reasons. But we cant just focus on the good parts of history and cultural heritage. Lots of lessons could, and SHOULD be learned from casting our mind back to what went on.

A very thought provoking costume.

EyeballsintheSky Fri 06-Mar-09 09:41:27

Had to at 'lovingly embroidered swastikas though!

lowenergylightbulb Fri 06-Mar-09 09:42:04

I can't see the problem with it. Maybe he'd read a book about WW2 and that's why he chose to dress as Hitler?

Would you object to any other historical characters?

TsarChasm Fri 06-Mar-09 09:42:22

shockMaybe he was dressed as Prince Harry.

Threadworm Fri 06-Mar-09 09:42:47

Probabyly this book, but should have gone as the rabbit.

rubyslippers Fri 06-Mar-09 09:43:23

IMO, there is something very jarring about putting a child in a costume with swastikas

i fully agree the issue is worthy of debate but the forum doens't feel right

EyeballsintheSky Fri 06-Mar-09 09:43:44

But not suitable for presumably a primary school event Fanny. I am involved in teaching the Holocaust and in nearly 10 years we have never been asked to do any kind of session for primary children.

Peachy Fri 06-Mar-09 09:43:46

ou see, we have discussed Hitler at home and my boys now what he did.

But WBD doesn't have time et aside for the debate. it's about sharing books,dressinga s Harry Potter / Oompa Loompa and Pippilongstocking and having fun. Theya re seven after all (well some are).

Absolutely agree its a topic thats hould be discussed, with proper information and resources: not a fun activity designed as a day of recreation.

FAQinglovely Fri 06-Mar-09 09:44:14

shock

TotalChaos Fri 06-Mar-09 09:44:22

shock. how bizarre.

brimfull Fri 06-Mar-09 09:45:13

bimey
I'm surpised the DM haen't got this story yet

Reminds me of the South Park Halloween episode: Cartman dressed as Hitler, the teachers made him change - into a costume made of a white sheet with a hood...

Bellebelle Fri 06-Mar-09 09:45:26

Oh come on! Do you really think that the child/parents thought "Hmmm, I know, dressing as Hitler will help stimulate a thought provoking discussion in the classroom. By jove it's a marvelous idea!" grin

Peachy Fri 06-Mar-09 09:46:37

'I can't see the problem with it. Maybe he'd read a book about WW2 and that's why he chose to dress as Hitler?

Would you object to any other historical characters? '

Pol Pot, and his ilk- abolutely!

Hitklers name is assocuated with genocide and the worst activities of the human mind. not with a random character from history. Imean what if tehre are any people at the school who were directly harmed? We do have some Polish famillies, its possibvle they lost relations isn't it.

I did vaguely remmeber a book- it must ahve been that pink rabbit one- still you'd think surely- or I would.

choochoochaboogie Fri 06-Mar-09 09:47:28

I think the parents are obviously to blame here, not child. I find it quite disturbing and it must have been difficult for the school [cringe].

My DS went as Gandalf the grey, couldn't see through wig and kept tripping over robe....LOL grin

MamaG Fri 06-Mar-09 09:48:47

Blimey - I laughed in shock when I read this, then though "bollocks", then saw it was Peachy in OP so knew it wasn't bollocks!

Horrible thing to do - I once drew a swastika when I was about 6. It was just a pretty symbol I'd seen blush. My Mum was VERY shocked and upset, I can still remember her face.

FannyWaglour Fri 06-Mar-09 09:49:20

Oh come on! Do you really think that the child/parents thought "Hmmm, I know, dressing as Hitler will help stimulate a thought provoking discussion in the classroom. By jove it's a marvelous idea!"

Point taken. grin

JackBauer Fri 06-Mar-09 09:50:01

I knew it wasn't likely but I would rather you were uncahracteristically taking the piss rather than being serious.

I wanted to ask if you live ina multicultural area but didn't know how to word it, I mean it is offensive to anyone but if any polish grnadparents were possibly taking their kids to school it's just unbelievable.

lowenergylightbulb Fri 06-Mar-09 09:50:40

I can just imagine all the teachers at the school in Basil Fawlty 'don't mention the war' mode grin

EyeballsintheSky Fri 06-Mar-09 09:51:21

LOL, still struggling to think of a reason! Please let them be mnetters so we can ask!

AIBU to send my child to book day dressed as a twentieth century dictator?

Peachy Fri 06-Mar-09 09:51:40

(mind- AIBU that even Dh's first reaction after shock and then confusion was 'oh this ahs to go on MN' blush)

(I did raise it with the RE Co-ordinator at the adjoing infants as they share facillities btw, am not just snigering from a distance)- would ahve raised with Juniors but morerpessing worries (thread in SN)

Peachy Fri 06-Mar-09 09:53:50

Now ahd it been just a swastika i'd have been wellqualified to debate the Huindu origin of the swastika and how it was stolen from their culture <<academic hed n>> but it was moustache / hair the whole caboodle

It's not massively multicultural - Church School so no Jewish famillies but there's no such thing as a non mixed schoolt hese days is there? (thankfully)

LucyEllensmummy Fri 06-Mar-09 09:55:07

blimey - it really makes you question the parent's motivation. Why would you do that? Is yours a multi-cultural school peachy? Do you think they were having a dig?

I suppose the teacher could turn it around as i guess they learn about hitler at school but thats not going to make the child feel very good is it. "Oh look Jonny, you have come as the worlds most hated dictator" hmm

LucyEllensmummy Fri 06-Mar-09 09:56:26

Maybe they were dressing him as prince harry!!!

mrsgboring Fri 06-Mar-09 09:57:03

No, I really don't think it was appropriate for a child to dress as Hitler. If he'd read a book about WW2, then his parents should have been explaining that this is still fairly recent history which many people will remember and find upsetting. That the world is so appalled at what happened that we must ensure it never happens again. Not embroidering swastikas (seriously? embroidered??)

Hitler doesn't appear as a character in "When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit" - it is from the refugees children's viewpoint and a wonderful, sad, book.

I think there is a young teens' book about a group of schoolkids who become obsessed with dressing up in SS uniforms and emulating Hitler (my sister read it for school, I didn't). But even if he were ridiculously precocious and had read it, it surely wouldn't be a suitable response to the book to decide to dress this way.

ZZZen Fri 06-Mar-09 09:58:20

I find this extremely bad taste, the dp should have been called in for a discussion. I hope they were.

How old is this boy?

fryalot Fri 06-Mar-09 09:59:23

shock

<<speechless>>

littleducks Fri 06-Mar-09 10:21:14

are you sure???

love to see the letter that goes out next year anouncing wbd costume comp, i expect you may have some 'guidelines'

LurkerOfTheUniverse Fri 06-Mar-09 10:26:45

maybe they should have a 'murderous dictators dress-up day' instead, much more of a challenge getting that costume together

Buda Fri 06-Mar-09 10:32:58

Our Book Day is not till week after next and theme is goodies and baddies. Maybe the parents thought they had the ultimate baddie?

peachyfox Fri 06-Mar-09 10:39:00

I read when Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit in my early teens and loved it.

Also grew up having to sit through 'Allo 'Allo with my parents.

Surely in the UK we have always dealt with the trauma of war through humour?

Also we have huge tradition of fancy dress which is a self-explanatory activity.

It is strange to put a child in swastikas but perhaps it was meant as a poke in Harry Potter's eye - those books are badly-written and not nearly as good as other literature available for children.

LurkerOfTheUniverse Fri 06-Mar-09 10:42:03

yes, 'Mein Kampf' is a great read at bedtime grin

Peachy Fri 06-Mar-09 10:51:32

Well if it was a poke in HP'seye it didnt work- no two matching costimes today which I was shock about and thought well done them! even the regualrtory footie kid had flags on, metre tall hat etc.

It might well be inspired by something innocent but what it seems to say is @the aprents of this child have No Bloody Idea'.

I mean,its not as if its an ancient dictator is it?Loads of Grandparents take kids tos chool- well lots of them may have lots parents or relations in thewar. or camps.Or ahve been displaced. Or just as mine GD did spent the war removing corpses fromairplane crashes- he's be extremely offended. taht'shis amtes they killed after all.

Peachy Fri 06-Mar-09 10:52:07

(no ascribed theme, no guidelines, school 7 - 11)

cherryblossoms Fri 06-Mar-09 10:55:04

You know, I read this post and I just think "poor kid". I do really wonder what his parents are thinking of.

Peachy - do you know what the school said/did?

mrsgboring Fri 06-Mar-09 10:57:26

Lolita is a better book than Harry Potter, but I wouldn't suggest it as a costume idea for WBD.

I don't actually have anything much against Allo Allo and things of that ilk, but fail to see how simply dressing up as Hitler counts as humour or cathartic. Especially not if the wearer of the costume is a young child.

I wonder if the parents who did that are very young parents, to whom Hitler and WW11 are really distant historical events.
It is a bit odd.

edam Fri 06-Mar-09 11:00:56

wtf?

I'd steer well clear of his parents. Must be very odd people indeed.

Maybe they were on that list of members of the BNP that went round a while back?

Peachy Fri 06-Mar-09 11:00:58

cherry i dont sorry- was going in but was then told my sn ds1 had escaped school theday before so had to dealwith that as a priority iyswim

infants re co-orrdinator (will be helping her next term) 3was very shock

Smithagain Fri 06-Mar-09 11:12:21

"Church School so no Jewish famillies"

Don't bet on it. DD1 goes to a church school and the Head of Inclusion is a practising Jew.

Am sincerely hoping that the child has genuinely read and enjoyed "When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit" - therefore providing some book-related excuse for it.

But still amazed that the parents/teachers didn't veto the costume. Was he still wearing it at the end of the day?

wotulookinat Fri 06-Mar-09 11:20:21

If it's good enough for one of the princes...

cestlavie Fri 06-Mar-09 11:23:04

Ah, our nursery had a dress your child as your favourite dictator day as well. All the little ones dressed up as Idi Amin, Mussolini, Papa Doc Duvalier and Uncle Joe of course as well. 'Twas a sight to sweeten the heart of any parent.

HSMM Fri 06-Mar-09 11:27:57

I might have done it if it was a dress up as a historical figure day ... but wouldn't have been the first though in my head for WBD! Perhaps they already had the costume for a play he had been in, or something?

catsmother Fri 06-Mar-09 12:11:56

That's astonishing.

What on earth were they thinking of ?

WBD is supposed to be fun ..... how does that correlate with dressing a child up as an evil dictator ?

Would be really interested to read anything more of how the school dealt with this but IMO, they should have asked the parents to take him home and change him.

I can't get my head around the idea that Hitler supposedly exists as a sympathetic character in a child's book. I'm sure he doesn't. It simply wouldn't be allowed ..... and if, by some obscure chance, such a thing was published, say, by a far right organisation, and this particular child happened upon it, then the parents should have immediately jumped in.

The parents must be incredibly thick and insensitive, or rampant neo-Nazis. Really can't think how anyone would ever think this was okay ...... and it seems so much worse somehow to involve a very young child, than compared to the "high jinks" hmm of a twat like Prince Harry (who, IIRC, was "only" a Nazi, and not the dear Fuhrer himself).

duchesse Fri 06-Mar-09 12:14:14

Well, he did write some books. I wonder if the kid had actually read Mein selfpityingdrivel Kampf.

But he's not on the whole remembered as an author so much as an evil murderous dictator.

Smithagain Fri 06-Mar-09 13:36:25

catsmother - I'm sure he's not a sympathetic character in any children's book. But he most certainly is a character in many books set in WWII. As far as I know there's nothing to say that kids have to dress up as a goodie - otherwise most of the pirates and witches at DD1's school yesterday would have been out of order!

Am not condoning it btw, just trying to figure out what thought process might have been involved hmm

Peachy Fri 06-Mar-09 14:16:30

Am fairly certain no Jewish kids only becuase of the fact that I have links to feeder school and my field is world faiths. Appreciate that Monsieur Average wouldn't necessrily know though.

Will be interested to find out what happened when I get there later; I asked Dh several times if I might have hallucinated but no, sadly not. DS2 (very up on such matters- becuase of my background) was following kida round expressing amazement apaprntlya s they went in (was dropping ds3) but the reason I didnt express horror at the time was that it is clearly at Priamry age a parental issue and I didn't want to make child feel bad. Forexamplebya sking if I should take my SN duo home in case someone had ideas for them (becuase after all hitler wanted a great many peoples ended).

Hulababy Fri 06-Mar-09 14:28:04

At 5-10 I doubt any of the children seriously would have chosen Hitler as their character of choice. It surely has to have come fromt he parents, and obviously as he did come dressed as Hitler his parents condoned the outfit too.

It is inappropriate.

catsmother Fri 06-Mar-09 14:37:26

Maybe I used the wrong adjective there Smithagain. Obviously, witches, monsters etc are not strictly sympathetic but, (at least in most books meant for young children) they are usually meant to be fun in some respect ..... even if that is "funnily" scary.

Like you I'm sure Hitler doesn't exist as a sympathetic character in any child's book (excluding Neo-Nazi propoganda perhaps) but taking that a step further my understanding of World Book Day and all the dressing up was that the chosen character should at least be one you admire, or find interesting ....... I suppose (stretching it somewhat) it might be argued that Hitler is an "interesting" figure but really can't see that a 7 year old is going to have a genuine interest in the psychology behind your typical dictator/meglomaniac/ruthless killer etc etc.

I hope the school are equally baffled and concerned about this. It's highly inappropriate and they should be speaking to the parents to find out what their motives were ..... maybe they are just incredibly thick and need to be re-educated in 20th century history.

theITgirl Fri 06-Mar-09 14:44:14

The only reason I can think of, is that the parents hate finding a costume for WBD hae 5 more children to put through primary school and think that this is the way to stop once and for all ever having to organise a costume again grin

But even so .......

(sorry, I know it is not a laughing matter)

theITgirl Fri 06-Mar-09 14:44:41

I am going to regret hitting post

Peachy Fri 06-Mar-09 14:47:59

The letters BTW said 'your favourite literary character'.

Peachy Fri 06-Mar-09 14:48:58

(And I am not assuming the parents are neo-nazi's btw. Naive at worst? Am blinding myself to possibility of anything worse as really that would be too awful)

buttercreamfrosting Fri 06-Mar-09 14:51:43

I'm not sure it really matters whether or not there are Jewish children attending the school.
Wouldn't most people be offended by this - regardless of their religion?

oopsagain Fri 06-Mar-09 14:59:21

yes, polish, gay, catholics,

ffs - hitler

they don't do tjose at woollies do they?

squeaver Fri 06-Mar-09 14:59:26

W
T
F
???????

Update us after pick-up, peachy. Surely someone will have said something to the school?

Peachy Fri 06-Mar-09 15:01:45

OOps they dont do anything at Woolies now y'know!

I do realise about Hitler being out for more than Jewish people- wonder if thats why I was so chocked, as I have disabled kids and recognise what might have happened to them if Hitler had succeeded <shudders>.

Willupdate if I hear anything; hoping he was quietly reoved and all I hear is DS2 saying ' I didnt see him again Mummy'. Would be terribly sad if the parents caused child to get into trouble.

justaboutindisguise Fri 06-Mar-09 15:01:47

Actually, Peachy, I think you should complain. I don't often say that but that is SO disrespectful to, er, everyone.

Peachy Fri 06-Mar-09 15:04:43

Justabout, the nly reason i didnt go haring in is aI was presented with another issue to sort (apparenlty ds1 escaped school yesterday) and didnt want to be going in with a list IYSWIM? However I am awaiting a CRB check clearance to start volunteering there, and that seems to me a point where I can ask and learn abut attitudes?Infants are hoping to use my background toexpance their RE beyond Christianity and that alone, am hoping that willfollow through (Vicar always been anti it but he and I get along so might hel, thin he'd trust me not to have an agenda)

justaboutindisguise Fri 06-Mar-09 15:07:14

Ah. difficult. I see.

oopsagain Fri 06-Mar-09 15:08:20

sorry- !i didn't see him again, mummy" has made me laugh grin
really laugh.
wonder where he went.......

and if he's comiing bacl.

I'll not go any further re the joke becauce is it s bloody awful subject to be thinking about-
bloody hell.

and, yes, I am missing woolies big style.
I need laces and blue tack and felt tips.
(and dictator costume grin)

vjg13 Fri 06-Mar-09 16:28:41

Maybe the parents thought is was WW2 day and not WBD?!

Really have no idea what the parents were thinking and I really hope the school acted.

Peachy Fri 06-Mar-09 16:34:50

OK update but I willa dd this si from ds1 who's not always reliable but he did seem to have details

Kid not sent home, no mention amde. During pairings (each younger child had an upper school mentor) Hitler was paired with ds1 and said his favourite books were warcraft books.

I ahve a meeting at school anyway next week, am going to raise for sure as am not appreciative of this at all.

GASP!
have just discussed this with dp (both teachers) we would not have allowed child to stay dressed like that, I would have put him i n spare clothes and explained that it was not appropriate, could make all sorts of people very upset, and then, I think, spoken to parents.
poor child.
and warcraft books? confirms my suspicions of such things.

Peachy Fri 06-Mar-09 16:53:44

My guessis they didnt want to be seen to do the attention thing but am unsure of judgement on this

rubyslippers Fri 06-Mar-09 16:55:18

would be interested to hear what the school say next week

am surprised they didn't make him change

all very odd

Eilatan Fri 06-Mar-09 17:08:39

"Could they have got World Book Day and World Dictator Day all confused? Surely Mein Kampf not widely read in primary schools?"

Oh that's funny! I think senior managment and ofsted read Mein Kampf...actually ofsted probably think it's a bit wishywashy liberal!

It is weird and in awful taste but Hitler does appear in popular fiction a lot. It seems as time passes we forget the horror and these people become folk (anti) heroes.

Because I'm old and remember the NF I find it all horrific. A year 9 asked me, quite without malice, the other day, why the term Brit was ok but Paki wasn't. THAT took some major deconstruction.

This sounds pompous but maybe the parents are young and not very aware. Or maybe they're neo nazis!?!?!?

I'm amazed, daily, what 'young people of today' (where's me slippers?) do and don't know. They can do any number of clever things with multi media and know so little about the world. I did a holocaust day lesson recently which I prepared on the graphic novel Maus thinking it would be interesting to debate whether this was an appropriate way to tell a holocaust story and I ended up spending most of the lesson explaining the holocaust (as if you could!). Some of the kids had been on the annual school trip to Poland Auschwitz (sp?) and they still couldn't connect Hitler with it! Then some idiots (not from my group) went off and taunted the poor German MFL teacher... STILL missing the point!

Peachy Fri 06-Mar-09 17:34:33

If he was reasding warcraft books though maye they did know and just thought it was OK?

That's the scary bit isn't it; ignorance I can deal with, deliberate act would be terribly scary

thirtysomething Fri 06-Mar-09 17:36:49

that's just sick. remarkably so in fact. Bet they wouldn't have gone as a member of the Klu Klux Klan??? How can anyone let their child go out dressed like that? What was the school's reaction?

seeker Fri 06-Mar-09 17:46:32

<seeker sits sulkily in corner because no one rose to her Chairman Mao post>

Peachy Fri 06-Mar-09 19:34:27

Aw Seeker Im sorry grin- nobody is biting here, Ie xpected a fewmore freedom of speech posts tbh.

The trolldmust be diffing elsewhere tonight. Bunkers, perhaps wink

Buda Sat 07-Mar-09 07:37:23

Just thinking about this. My 7 year old would have no idea who Hitler was. So I am assuming that nor would most of his peers or anyone at school younger than him. Not sure what year they tackle WW2 although as Eilatan points out even if they have tackled WW2 there is no guarantee that they really know the evil of Hitler. And in that case you can carry the supposition on to assume that his parents don't know either. If the child likes reading warcraft books and the parents don't know about Hitler, he could be just another character to them.

(Coming from a point of view where I am regularly amazed at how people seem to come through the education system not knowing fairly major things - met 2 girls once on my first ever holiday abroad, me from Ireland, them from England - they didn't realise that Ireland and England were on separate islands - nothing surprises me now!)

seeker Sat 07-Mar-09 07:41:48

I don't think anyone could reach 7 in an English State school without knowing about Hitler - the History curriculum seems to be obsessed with the Second World War!

I think he was dressing up and Prince Harry.

Pristina Sat 07-Mar-09 07:45:42

This is very shocking. I thought "troll" at first, but can see that you are not. Definitely complain.

standanddeliver Sat 07-Mar-09 07:49:17

Good grief shock

Oh this has made me laugh.

The scene at my dd's primary school was a bit surreal on Thursday. There were about 80 Harry Potters milling about, leavened by a smattering of girls in Disney costumes.

DD(9) went as Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz.

She looked gorgeous.

Buda Sat 07-Mar-09 10:49:37

seeker - DS is in a international school which follows British curriculum - he is in Yr 3 - they haven't done WW2 yet. They have been covering Romans for 'topic' this year. I think Yr 4 may do WW2 here.

Peachy Sat 07-Mar-09 11:50:33

Apparently this kid was in year 6 if that adds to it? Nt sure.

FWIW Its the arents I have the shock at not the child

Peachy Sat 07-Mar-09 11:51:10

And PMSL at tro9ll- even if I tried it my shite keyboard would be instantly recognisable!

In Y6 they often do 'the home front'- rationing, gas masks, evacuees...without covering Nazism....but school should have intervened here IMO.

Heated Sat 07-Mar-09 13:48:09

Maybe they were his weekend clothes?

Kimi Sat 07-Mar-09 13:53:45

Poor child

SalopianGirl Sat 07-Mar-09 13:55:18

Damn, should have sent DD as Oswald Moseley instead of Veruca Salt,after all he was born just down the road.hmm

Kimi Sat 07-Mar-09 14:03:50

DP dresses as a nazi now and then and runs about in muddy fields with a big gun don't ya know.

Now before you come round with your pitch forks he is part of a WW2 re-enacting group, these groups go to schools and so on.

Think it is poor taste for WBD though

AlistairSim Sat 07-Mar-09 14:26:51

I don't feel so bad for sending DD in as a poo now.

katiestar Sat 07-Mar-09 14:57:10

OK dons flameproof jacket.
the child is into warcraft in a big way ,why shouldn't he be allowed to dress as a character from a book he is interested in .i don't think there is any implication he is glorifying Hitler or the nazis in any way.
To be fair WW2 finished over 50 years before any primary school children were even born so i don't think there is much chance of them being traumatised.
I would never have sent me child as a Nazi but I did once send DS1 into playgroup in a camouflage combat -type outfit (but with no weapons) on dressing up day and and some parents complained that they didn't want their children to see 'military ' stuff at pre school.

seeker Sat 07-Mar-09 15:07:36

To be serious for a moment - I'm afraid that I would be one of the people unhappy about "military" stuff in school.

Notquitegrownup Sat 07-Mar-09 15:09:00

lol AS - are you going to elaborate?!

Slight hijack, Mrsgboring - the book you referred to is called the Wave. It is a really good book, based on a true story of a history teacher who wanted his 14/15 year old students to understand the war better, and his experiment got totally out of hand. It is not written to cause anyone to sympathise with the Nazi viewpoint however.

SalLikesCoffee Sat 07-Mar-09 15:21:51

I've been trying to think of any possible reasons why his parents would have sent him in / allowed him to choose a Hitler outfit, and up to two minutes ago, couldn't think of any.

Kimi's post did however make me wonder - maybe he reads warcraft books (which, imo, is a bit strange for a child of that age, but then again, I'm still very pfb-ish and would only give ds coloring in books until he's at least 19 wink ), and his dad does same as Kimi's dh or he saw something like that etc.

I still think it is bad style, but at least something in this line might explain how it happened in the first place? Well, I hope it is just bad judgment. Am a little shocked.

katiestar Sat 07-Mar-09 16:36:37

Seeker - then how would you explain that to any children of military families at the setting without being discriminatory
(we are not military by the way but there was a son of an RAF helicopter pilot at the setting )

seeker Sat 07-Mar-09 17:40:32

I would say - as I say about many things -that some things are appropriate for grown ups but not for children. I might also say if questioned further that some things are too serious for games.

Kimi Sat 07-Mar-09 20:57:39

Sal, despite DP having his rather strange hobby I would never ever dress my children as Hitler, I have only been to one display and was a bit shocked to see small children decked out in uniform English and Nazi.

I do not think I approve of DP dressing as a nazi (even for the purpose of education) DS1 has special needs and when I look at the jack boots DP has and the Gun (might add the gun is a real one from ww2 and who knows what evil it brought) it makes me shudder at the though of those boot crushing the skulls of children like my DS1 who did not fit the "norm" Hitler wanted to create. DPs stuff is shut in the shed and not allowed in the house.

I took my sons to the war museum, the holocaust exhibit is the most shocking thing I have ever seen.

Tidey Sat 07-Mar-09 21:02:04

Are you sure you haven't just been watching South Park? Cartman dressed up as Hitler for Halloween and everyone else was dressed as Chewbacca?

SalLikesCoffee Sat 07-Mar-09 21:09:26

Hi Kimi. Uhm (and you might not have taken this the wrong way anyway, just want to make sure ), I don't at all think what your dh is doing is strange etc - a friend of mine is doing this most weekends (or sound like that to me!), he knows more about history than anyone I know (hence the hobby I guess), and is not at all trivial about wars etc.

What I meant to say is maybe the kid saw this in a proper situation, and just liked the outfit etc as he likes that kind of books. Kind of how some kids like a Spiderman outfit, yet knows absolutely nothing of the story - just pretty colors iyswim.

If that is the kind of situation where this kid saw it (which I really hope as the alternative is so bad), any normal person (as you quite rightly say) wouldn't let kids dress up as Hitler, but maybe these parents just didn't think?

On war museum - yes, I went too and agree - it is brilliant but so utterly shocking, I kept wanting to cry. Same feeling when I visited the Khmer Rouge Killing Fields in Cambodia - it's just so heartbreaking.

If this was a teenager I would be defending him/her on a freedpm of speech issue - but a 7 year old? Even if it was the kid's idea having read some books set in the 1940s, smart parents would have steered the child in a different direction: the parents are either thick as shit or have a very wierd agenda.

katiestar Mon 09-Mar-09 11:43:40

I thought he was 11 (yr 6) not 7 ?

Peachy Mon 09-Mar-09 17:54:55

10 or 11 but sharinga classroom with 7-8-9 year olds as aprt of the scheme so thats part of the issue I think. Definitely upper primary (yr 5 /6 ) due to where they line up

I know what you eman SGB, if thought for a moment he ahd been given the info and decided upon it in an informed way. But then owould eb freedom of speech to tell im not to go near my boys as well, instea d of keeping schtumn to avoid upsetting the child: wit rights go repsonsibilities and all that wink

L:ike you said though- seriously odd parental behaviour.

10 or 11 is still too young to make an informed choice to do this (at 14 or so a kid would be old enough to take the consequences if he/she was set on doing it)
I remember a fellow student at uni dressing up as Hitler for some satirical thing or other, the point of it (for him) was that he was Jewish, and looked very classically Jewish.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now