To not want somebody to come and eat Mcdonald in my house when I am on a diet?

(109 Posts)
soon2befamilyof4 Mon 23-Feb-09 10:14:07

I started a diet yesterday, which is the first time as I love my food and take aways too much and cave very easily. I am determined to do this properly now, not to loose weight as such (yet) but to improve my health - I am very pregnant so want to be fit and healthy anyway, regardless of weight.

So, DH asked our friend to come and help us with a few things today, which is why I am not wanting to make a big deal as he is doing us a favour. BUT he told DH that he would come and get McDonalds breakfast on the way (with me picking him up). McDonalds is at the end of our road. DH asked him not to eat it in front of me as it would really test me and he knows I would be upset if I gave in already.

So, I went and got him after the school run, and he went on about McDonalds all the way there. I said I would drop him off at McDonalds and meet him back at mine (2min walk) because I didn't want the tempatation, although he had already made me fancy it! He was very hmm about it all but did it anyway. Next thing I know, he is at our door, with 2 Mcdonals meals, both for him and he has just sat and eaten it right in front of me. I am quite annoyed TBH. My whole house now stinks of McDonalds brekkie and I am now hungry and wanting to eat more now, which isn't the point. Have had some fruit and a shape yogurt, but was hoping to wait till DD went for a nap (about 11am) before cooking my beans on toast for brunch. Yesterday it worked fine doing that and I wasn't hungry in between, wasn't tempeted to have anything else etc but I feel a bit like he is just rubbing my nose in it a bit?

Obvioulsy he can eat what he likes, but can he not just eat in? I might as well have just taken him through the drive through.

What do you think? Am I being fussy or would it of annoyed you to?

fishie Mon 23-Feb-09 10:16:27

you are all being unreasonable. why couldn't you cook him breakfast if you have invited him to you house to help you? it is also terribly rude of him to bring food from outside into your home and eat it. i don't think your diet should have any bearing on it.

Buda Mon 23-Feb-09 10:16:59

You are being fussy. He is doing you a favour and it is not his fault if you are on a diet. I am constantly on diets but would never try to stop anyone else having something that I shouldn't.

PurplePillow Mon 23-Feb-09 10:17:33

He was asked not to eat it in front of you but still did??

Is he a total fuckwit??

YANBU!

He is a total ignoramous.

2pt4kids Mon 23-Feb-09 10:18:26

You sound a bit mental tbh.
The guy is doing you a favour. You cant ask him not to eat breakfast while doing the favour due to you not being able to stop yourself wanting a McD's too!

AliceTheCamel Mon 23-Feb-09 10:22:39

YABU - It is your responsibility to not eat things you ought not to. No one else needs to modify their behaviour because you have decided to lose weight. Exercising self control around food is hard. Good luck with it.

YABU - FGS, who would be tempted by McDonalds?

He IBU - but only because I'd be pissed off if someone made my house smell of McDonalds, regardless of circumstances.

YANBU. He is being extremely inconsiderate.

Just being very pg and being unable to tolerate the smell - let alone having other reasons not to want McDs in the house - should be enough for him to comply. It's not difficult is it!? Just eat your breakfast at McDs and walk back FGS.

OTOH, is he coming back tomorrow? If so, then you and your dh need to lay down the law. Otherwise, well, it's not good for your blood pressure, let it sliiiide, let it sliiiide.

MrsMattie Mon 23-Feb-09 10:24:59

YABU. If you are going to stick to a diet you're going to have to accept that temptation will always be there, and learnt it deal with it. You can't go around dictating what others eat. Come on!

soon2befamilyof4 Mon 23-Feb-09 10:25:34

I am not trying to stop him eating it, as I said - just not sit and eat it all right in front of me and stink my house out?

And he is more than welcome to eat our breakfast here, he knows that. He is a very regular guest who wouldn't feel uncomfortable to ask/help himself etc and knows he can have some of what we are having when I cook it etc.

MrsMattie Mon 23-Feb-09 10:26:32

Should he go outside and eat it then? When he is helping you out? Oh, I dunno. Seems incredibly petty to me, sorry.

PenelopePitstops Mon 23-Feb-09 10:27:09

YABU and sound wierd

get over it

soon2befamilyof4 Mon 23-Feb-09 10:27:55

Eat it in the McDonals where he bought it from???

I must add that he lives with his parents who offered to cook for him this morning but he couldn't be bothered to get up in time. So it isn't his only option

duchesse Mon 23-Feb-09 10:33:50

Yes YABU. You are the one on the diet- you can't expect everyone else to tiptoe around you. If you are that easily influenced you need to work on strengthening your motivation not to eat crap. That said, McD is hideous stuff and should be enough to put anyone off in itself.

soon2befamilyof4 Mon 23-Feb-09 10:34:21

Do you seriously not think it is rude to bring a take away to somebody else's house when they are not eating it? And he isn't doing us a huge favour, just a 10 min thing but needed somebody to help lift something with DH. And will in return have lunch and probably dinner here as well and I will have to go out and give him a lift home. Will probably use our internet for most of the day as he doesn't have it at home.

MrsMattie Mon 23-Feb-09 10:35:27

I don't think it's rude at all. hmm

Bucharest Mon 23-Feb-09 10:36:07

YABU to want to stop the guy having his breakfast.
YANBU at the thought of anyone eating a McDonalds in front of you. The look and smell would make me boak.

myfunnynametaken Mon 23-Feb-09 10:36:37

I hate to tell you this but there's always gonna be food all around you, whether you're on a diet or not. It's the world we live in. It's also one of the reasons dieting is so hard.

You can't cut yourself off from food, you need to learn to ignore it.

At least, thats what a nutrition counsellor told me once, still haven't mastered it though blush

duchesse Mon 23-Feb-09 10:36:39

No- if anything he may have been trying to be considerate by not getting you to make his breakfast for him. I think you are probably extra-irritable because you are cutting back and are hungry.

harleyd Mon 23-Feb-09 10:38:06

you havent much willpower if you are cracking after one day because of a mcmuffin??

Maveta Mon 23-Feb-09 10:38:47

I think YANBU. I don't think the issue is that you are on a diet and all that (in which case I would say YABU because you can't control what other people eat just because you are worried your own willpower is not enough) but that you specifically asked him not to eat it in your house. He could have eaten it there or not at all yet he ignored you and did exactly the opposite. so incredibly rude, even if he does think you are BU and a nutter to boot wink

myfunnynametaken Mon 23-Feb-09 10:39:56

blush - i'm the same - I get totally evil if I see a skinny person enjoying something nice when I'm on a diet.

shootfromthehip Mon 23-Feb-09 10:41:54

YABU- if this person is doing you a favour, then you should have the good grace to be more accomodating. If he'd cracked a beer open first thing in the morning then you would have grounds to be annoyed but he's eating his breakfast. Can't believe you are annoyed that a grown man didn't get up earlier to have his breakfast before he came to yours. That's ridiculous.

You are annoyed not by your helpful friend but by the dieting because he can eat what he fancies and you can't. Which is also ridiculous.

YABU on so many counts.

Firstly, if you are very pregnant, fruit and a shape yoghurt is not a proper breakfast. What about some cereal or toast? Completely the wrong time to start a 'diet' if you ask me. Eating healthily, yes, but dieting, no.

Secondly, you made a big deal about him being a frequent guest, helps himself to stuff etc - what is the problem with him bringing food to your house then? Very mixed signals if you ask me.

And lastly, McDonalds? All this unnecessary, BP raising stress over McDonalds? Vile, hideous, non-food. Especially the breakfasts.

pingping Mon 23-Feb-09 10:53:54

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL at this thread YABU and rude he is doing you a favour you should of cooked him breakfast

compo Mon 23-Feb-09 10:55:36

yabu but you'r pregnant and hormonal - definitely not a good time to diet!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now