Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to find threads about what is common - common?

(49 Posts)
tatt Wed 21-Jan-09 12:38:38

couldn't resist grin

But seriously - isn't there something terribly insecure about wanting to label other people in a derogatory fashion?

chocolatedot Wed 21-Jan-09 12:41:08

You are dead right Tatt- it is indeed extremely common. Anyone with proper breeding would know better!

Simplysally Wed 21-Jan-09 12:42:23

If you have to ask if it's common or not then it probably is.

I got an odd look from my colleage yesterday when I said drinking out of mugs used to be considered common and the proper way to drink hot liquids was in a cup and saucer. As I swigged happily from my mug grin.

mm22bys Wed 21-Jan-09 12:45:04

Some of the things that non-commoners think are "common" are just so funny!

It like get over yourselves you posh tossers! wink

TotalChaos Wed 21-Jan-09 12:48:34

yanbu.

FAQtothefuture Wed 21-Jan-09 12:49:09

no idea what this thread is about

BUT

I'm common as muck grin

bronze Wed 21-Jan-09 12:49:23

its actually the tryhards who do this. Most really posh people couldnt give a ratsarse

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bronze Wed 21-Jan-09 12:51:12

having said that I quite enjoy reading the threads about the differences for example the lunch/dinner ones. But then I also enjoy the ones about the regional differences.

chocolatedot Wed 21-Jan-09 12:51:52

Absolutely bronze, it's because they have confidence and couldn't give two hoots about such petty judgements.

plantsitter Wed 21-Jan-09 12:54:00

I love saying things are 'common' purely 'cos it is common to say it! I thought that was the point to be honest. I might secretly think something was common but I would only say so in a 'post-modern ironic' kind of way. Sort of.

BouncingTartan Wed 21-Jan-09 12:56:10

YANBU - it is petty. Same goes for branding things as chavvy.
There are better things in life to get worked up about.

WilyWombat Wed 21-Jan-09 12:59:03

LOL

Its all personal taste isnt it for you the largest plasma tv or 4 x 4 may be the thing to have for me its flashy and crass...neither of us is right its just our personal taste.

Anyone who takes it seriously is a bit sad really.

grumblinalong Wed 21-Jan-09 13:02:30

LOL plantsitter.

HecateQueenOfGhosts Wed 21-Jan-09 17:29:29

Yes. I'm shaken to the core to realise my 30someing inch tv and my burning desire for a BIIIIIIIG fridge and possibly my leather sofas - although they are cream not chocolate, so I am unclear on the rule regarding this, is it leather that is evil, or just chocolate leather? - combine to condemn me to the ranks of Common As Muck. It's so upsetting. <sob>. <sob>. <gets over it>

Poppycake Wed 21-Jan-09 17:36:55

I really like and am very proud of my chocolate leather sofas (tho I think they're settees!). We were donated a bigger TV this last weekend as well, and are well chuffed with it.

I must admit I think the wanting to be not common is rather sweet and reminds me of those little girls' books - like "A little Princess".

grumblinalong Wed 21-Jan-09 17:38:16

I want a massive fridge too. I also want to be able to afford to fill the massive fridge with massive food. Call me materialistic, a pig, common etc etc etc but it's what I want. Now.

Poppycake Wed 21-Jan-09 17:42:28

oh yes grumblin! We wanted a massive fridge when we renovated the disgusting hole that was meant to be a kitchen when we moved in our house, but unfortunately the funds wouldn't stretch.

If it was a freezer too you could fill it with icecream. Am off to have icecream daycreams...

squeaver Wed 21-Jan-09 17:48:44

One of my favourite ways to wind up dh is to decide that completely random things are common e.g. Bounty bars, hair slides, broccoli, Mini Coopers.

"But WHY are they common?" he yells

"If you don't know, you'll never know" I say enigmatically with my nose in the air.

It's hilarious. Honest.

tatt Wed 21-Jan-09 18:25:37

FAQtothefuture

the thread was triggered by the one about large TVs - but there are lots of others on mumsnet that create the mood, I just felt more bored than usual today grin

that have been threads about what you sit on, what sort of sheets you have, how you dress.....I especially remember the one about hand towels in the bathroom.

Just going off to make a site suggestion.....

noonki Wed 21-Jan-09 18:33:14

squeaver I do that !!!!

and DH says things are posh like chocolate oranges or cats eyes or garlic pressers (he believe that last one hmm)

squeaver Wed 21-Jan-09 18:35:51

It's so funny, noonki. I should do it on here sometimes.

Hassled Wed 21-Jan-09 18:36:47

Squeaver - that might just become my new favourite game . My late mother was, in hindsight, a bit of a snob and the randomness of what she found common (Barbies?) already infuriates DH - I think I might tell him that shower gel is common.

OrmIrian Wed 21-Jan-09 18:41:53

Quite correct tatt.

To declare something 'common' labels you as fairly common yourself. The truly non-vulgar takes life, and people, as they come. To be so concerned about that is to show a worrying level of insecurity.

noonki Wed 21-Jan-09 18:48:42

Squeaver... I feel a thread coming on grin

Tortington Wed 21-Jan-09 18:50:58

arent derogatory threads...about threads distastefula nyway?

and....

isn't a derogatory thread ...about a derogatory thread - just as insecure about wanting to lable someone in a derogatory fashion

nomoreamover Wed 21-Jan-09 20:39:41

v necked volvo brigade

sep1712 Wed 21-Jan-09 20:49:15

Gosh, i must be frightfully 'common', Sat on my black leather sofa, watching 42" LCD. With a large fridge. Also 4x4 sat on the drive!!! Just running to the hills before anyone finds out!!!

TheSmallClanger Wed 21-Jan-09 22:10:28

My mum is a self-confessed snob and describes various things as common. It changes from week to week.
She has the wit to be funny about it, though.

I wanted to post on the Guilty Secrets thread about my passion for Spar own-brand crisps, but it turned into a sex talk. Can I come and be common with my Burger Bites, please?

KerryTheMNExpertonEverything Wed 21-Jan-09 22:11:21

I think this is a peculiarly British thing. Am I wrong?

it's 'trailer trash' in American wink

tatt Wed 21-Jan-09 22:18:51

custardo - I need at least 3 more drinks to get my head round that one.

Don't think so, Kerry. Don't you still have trailer trash instead of chav - or is everyone too PC these days?

superfrenchie1 Wed 21-Jan-09 22:19:18

oh oh that is dp's favourite way of winding ME up - i usually do get a bit wound up.

this thread has given me the confidence to say to him, actually mate, YOU'RE the common one grin

i did know this already deep down. it is so true that to call something common is sooo common. anyway cool people don't care about common

chancelloroftheexCHEQUERS Wed 21-Jan-09 22:20:51

Loving that 'aspirational' fridges have made their way onto another thread!

KerryTheMNExpertonEverything Wed 21-Jan-09 22:21:49

lol custy - my brain addled reading that

superfrenchie1 Wed 21-Jan-09 22:22:17

oh oh OH also maybe thinking trailer trash / chav chic is cool - is actually uncool? it's very patronising anyway.

random Wed 21-Jan-09 22:24:19

Whats common anyway? shopping at asda? primark? eating mcdonalds and greggs ..who gives a fuck really you are who you are ..we can all pretend to be Hyacinth Bucket grin

tatt Wed 21-Jan-09 22:25:13

well - posting at the same time, I'm not that cross tonight

superfrenchie1 Wed 21-Jan-09 22:25:33

Butterfly - did people really say "non-u"? that's so funny

i am going to start saying that. posh spice is so non-u.

(Realising this makes me non-u... but as i don't even know what it means, i'm cool with that)

KerryTheMNExpertonEverything Wed 21-Jan-09 22:27:40

I have found that old money really doesn't give a toss about how much money you have.

unavailable Wed 21-Jan-09 22:49:10

Butterfly - you must be at leat 110! Is it you or your "companion" typing?

Ps - Are you the one married to the nazi?

OrmIrian Thu 22-Jan-09 11:25:01

IMO the only thing that is 'common' about people is the way they judge others, and then behave accordingly, by what they wear, eat, drive etc. I might not like certain things but I'm not arrogant enough to think that my likes and dislikes make me uncommon.

I do dislike the need so many people seem to have of following the herd in matters of dress etc. But that is confined to the so-called common is it?

blondie80 Thu 22-Jan-09 14:04:18

ha ha this thread is making me laugh, since according to my SIL i'm 'common' oh and 'loud'! although the only one who seemed common and loud as she screamed it round the pub was her. (snooty for no reason whatsoever bitch)

kittybrown Fri 23-Jan-09 12:20:45

I find they only do it to make themselves feel better. This is only because their taste is really not that dissimilar from those they call common/chavs.
My Aunt's a terrible snob and is very derisive about MIL's taste in decor but her house is decorated almost the same as MIL's. She just can't see it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now