to think it shouldn't be illegal not be on electoral roll and the Gov shouldn't proft ....

(48 Posts)
rebelmum1 Fri 26-Sep-08 12:34:12

..from selling my personal data to 3rd parties/junk mail and anyone else who wants to know my details..

themoon66 Fri 26-Sep-08 12:35:23

You can tick the box to say you don't want to be on the list that goes up for sale.

You can choose to opt out

expatinscotland Fri 26-Sep-08 12:36:30

it's illegal to not be on teh electoral roll?

damn, i had my nationality for about a year before i got round to putting myself on.

TheFallenMadonna Fri 26-Sep-08 12:37:22

You can ask to have your name omitted fromt he edited register which can be bought and used by anyone. I think the complete register can only be used by credit agencies to check your identity.

Tamarto Fri 26-Sep-08 12:39:35

You are not breaking the law by choosing not to be on the electrol role, it is not illegal to choose not to. hmm

Tamarto Fri 26-Sep-08 12:42:29

In the UK anyway.

rebelmum1 Fri 26-Sep-08 12:46:05

look think you can only opt out for junk mail - I think it's wrong, to sell this data on whether you have opted out or not, it is meant to be part of a democratic voting process not a means to engineer profit. It looks like 98% councils are against the process anyway.. here

rebelmum1 Fri 26-Sep-08 12:46:45

It is a legal requirement to provide the information, that is what it says on my form.

rebelmum1 Fri 26-Sep-08 12:51:06

look here it's not just me who thinks it's a really bad idea..

TheFallenMadonna Fri 26-Sep-08 12:51:13

Well, I agree with you. From the article you linked to, apparently it costs more to maintain the two versions of the register than is made selling the edited version anyway.

But you can stop your details being sold by having themremoved fromt he edited register.

Tortington Fri 26-Sep-08 12:51:42

yip theres a box to tick

rebelmum1 Fri 26-Sep-08 12:52:15

By not supplying the information I will be a criminal!

rebelmum1 Fri 26-Sep-08 12:52:44

Does that not strike you as a bit wrong?

TheFallenMadonna Fri 26-Sep-08 12:52:48

And not able to vote. Supply the information. Tick the box.

AnarchyAunt Fri 26-Sep-08 12:53:13

It is illegal according to my council, though precisely what they plan to do about it is not certain.

I haven't registered in the three years I have been here, and don't plan to until they guarantee that nobody will have access to the information they hold about me other than for electoral purposes.

MrsFogi Fri 26-Sep-08 12:53:19

What's very wrong is that you can get called up for jury service (no problem with this) and this can financially ruin you if you find yourself on a long trial (I have a big problem with this).

TheFallenMadonna Fri 26-Sep-08 12:53:20

Lobby your MP for a change in the law.

rebelmum1 Fri 26-Sep-08 12:54:18

They can be removed from the edited register that is used to supply marketing companies but not from the lists that can be universally searched for a fee.

TheFallenMadonna Fri 26-Sep-08 12:57:13

Are you sure? It says here that "The full register is used only for elections, preventing and detecting crime and checking applications for financial credit."

rebelmum1 Fri 26-Sep-08 12:59:30

Yeah right www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/blairs-frenzied-law-making--a-new-offence-for-every-day-spent -in-office-412072.html Labour passes a new law each day, there's over 3000 new laws already..98% of councils have stated that they are against it and that has made no difference. My MP is sick of hearing from me as it is.

TheFallenMadonna Fri 26-Sep-08 13:00:39

Ah, but this would be repealing one of those new laws wink

Tamarto Fri 26-Sep-08 13:04:45

I'm 28 have never been on the electrol roll, apart from once for a year, i've never been arrested for it either.

AnarchyAunt Fri 26-Sep-08 13:04:57

Anyone has the right to see the full electoral roll.

There are restrictions on what they are allowed to then do with the information on it, but I'm not sure how these can be implemented.

I don't want 'anyone' to be able to look up my address.

TheFallenMadonna Fri 26-Sep-08 13:05:13

Why don't you want to vote?

rebelmum1 Fri 26-Sep-08 13:06:04

But this is what they say online

We provide instant and accurate searches of the UK Electoral Roll, Deaths, Marriages and UK Property Ownership to the general public and companies 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Our Enhanced UK Electoral Roll will provide you with the address of any UK Individual, their phone number, their date of birth and the names of anyone else at the address.

there's no mention of not anyone opting out.

Don't you think it is wrong to make supplying this information legal - I am effectively now criminal. I don't want anyone else to access my private data and I certainly don't trus the Gov to protect that information.

Tamarto Fri 26-Sep-08 13:06:43

Me?

I'd happily vote, but there are certian people who i'd rather didn't know where i live.

When people can no longer search the info (any people) i'll be on it again.

AnarchyAunt Fri 26-Sep-08 13:08:03

Oh I'd like to vote.

But not enough to put my data in the hands of anyone who wants to look it up.

Effectively, we have to pay for our right to vote with a loss of privacy, which I think is terrible.

TheFallenMadonna Fri 26-Sep-08 13:08:59

On this one they make it clear that it is the edited register that is searched, not the full one.

TheFallenMadonna Fri 26-Sep-08 13:09:54

Well, not trusting local authorities with the information is a different matter to them selling it.

SoupDragon Fri 26-Sep-08 13:10:46

I have opted out of the edited register. I can not be found by searching (I tried!).

rebelmum1 Fri 26-Sep-08 13:25:45

Lots of people don't see the opt out or don't know what it is and their data is sold without them realising. I'm not convinced the data is secure and they wont sell it, when does the opt out expire, you have to trust it gets on the right list. Plus it is wrong in my view to make not submitting the data illegal.

rebelmum1 Fri 26-Sep-08 13:26:26

They haven't made it law that you must vote yet have they?

SoupDragon Fri 26-Sep-08 14:38:52

Well, the opt out is very obvious on my form and on the online registration I used and, IIRC, on the phone registration option.

rebelmum1 Fri 26-Sep-08 15:50:48

I'm astonished that you are so blaze about your personal details and are happy for it to be ilegal not to supply them. I nearly missed the tickbox and did a double take when I read it.

SoupDragon Fri 26-Sep-08 17:15:13

I'm astonished you are so paranoid.

SoupDragon Fri 26-Sep-08 17:22:24

You are legally required to return the form, you can, I imagine, simply cross your name off entirely and therfore lose your vote if you are so paranoid you do not wish your details to be on the electoral roll at all.

AramintaAlice Fri 26-Sep-08 17:22:45

This is actually an awful thing.

You can 'opt out' by ticking the edited register part, this means that when the council sells the roll to advertisers your name won't go and it won't be searchable online.

However, the information will still appear to anyone who goes to look at the registers in person, albeit in a different section.

A woman who was stalked by someone (it was in the national news) was repeatedly found by the weirdo threatening to kill her because of this. Eventually she just decided to risk the fine rather than be killed by him.

Soupdragon, if you've never been stalked you simply cannot imagine the horror and fear that it causes.

I definitely think that I should not be forced to have my details registered on this horrible register until they make my details COMPLETELY private.

SoupDragon Fri 26-Sep-08 17:40:05

You're not forced to have your details on it, you can remove them. I removed Hs when he moved out. Just crossed him off the list.

AramintaAlice Fri 26-Sep-08 18:01:47

Lol. He moved out!

He would have been forced by law to register at the place he moved to.

Simplysally Fri 26-Sep-08 18:19:01

I used to belong to a social club which used to use the local electoral rolls for marketing purposes - one person would go to the library and look up say Acacia Avenue Anytown and just write down the house numbers which had people of the right ages listed as living there so we knew which houses to post our flyers into. Anyone can do it although it's probably not strictly legal using the data in that way (we had to be discreet).

SoupDragon Fri 26-Sep-08 20:15:52

I can't find anywhere that states you have to be registered to vote. You legally have to return the form, you do not have to be on it.

AnarchyAunt Fri 26-Sep-08 22:16:12

Here is the legislation.

I havent looked through it properly yet (it is v v boring and hard to get through) but will do carefully at some point.

AramintaAlice Fri 26-Sep-08 22:22:49

Yes but you have to return the form signed, saying that you have truthfully declared who is living at the property.

There was a huge tv program about it, mainly saying how unfair the law is.

AnarchyAunt Fri 26-Sep-08 22:24:58

I just ignore the letters.

I mean, if I'm not on the register they won't know who to prosecute anyway.

AramintaAlice Fri 26-Sep-08 22:29:54

They will know, as they ultimately access the Council tax records, annoyingly.

And in my area they send irritating busybodies round knocking on the door.

It's outrageous.

The only way out, is to risk the huge fine.

Gotta go to bed now, I'll check this thread in the morning smile

LOL @ lobby your MP to not be on the electoral register, therefore not be able to vote, I'm sure that'll be top of his surgery list!

AramintaAlice Wed 01-Oct-08 13:14:54

Yep, that's the frustrating thing hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now