to think i could stop being a teacher and become a journalist who writes utter utter utter shite and wanakge and gets paid Quite A Lot and gets to wear swanky shoes to work and have lovely lunches???

(303 Posts)
MaloryDontDiveItsShallow Mon 15-Sep-08 11:56:36

i could HONESTLY write shite twatty articles like "what every owman needs"

i HONESTLY could

couldnt i??

suey2 Mon 15-Sep-08 11:58:42

LOL YANBU
Some of the pollyfilla stuff makes me wince

mumblechum Mon 15-Sep-08 11:58:55

Course you could. There was a particularly crap piece in the Times last week about feisty women through the ages and it was absolutely full of inaccuracies.

Go for it.

cupsoftea Mon 15-Sep-08 11:59:46

Go for it!

MaloryDontDiveItsShallow Mon 15-Sep-08 11:59:53

lets have some ideas for atrcles i could pen

MaloryDontDiveItsShallow Mon 15-Sep-08 12:00:24

<<<<starts browsing swanky shoe sites>>>>>

poppy34 Mon 15-Sep-08 12:00:59

why not go and interview local women about their bunting cupcake business.. that is an article that I don't think we see enough of

or ask elle macpherson/liz hurley or any other rich celeb how they manage to juggle working with being a mother...

MaloryDontDiveItsShallow Mon 15-Sep-08 12:02:26

oh ffs

have you seen elle mcphereson in this months easy living??utter shittage

and there is a quite somewhere else saying(iirc) "we all know perfactly rational women who think nothing of spending £2000 on the latest must have handbag"

er, no we dont

MaloryDontDiveItsShallow Mon 15-Sep-08 12:02:48

(acrtaully liz hurley was also interviewed in the same mag)

cupsoftea Mon 15-Sep-08 12:03:26

another great one is moving to france, doing up a wreck & selling french bric a brac (things they sold for nowt) to brits at home (who pay big bucks)

WideWebWitch Mon 15-Sep-08 12:05:02

lol Poppy
yes, I wonder how Jemima Khan manages, must be so hard with all that cash at ones disposal

MaloryDontDiveItsShallow Mon 15-Sep-08 12:05:35

yes we hasd a funny thread on that

and they all seem to have banker hubbies and at least 5 kids and be called

kate or tasmin or caroline

does anyone read the stuff in the mags ? I always skim past Barbara Ellen or Kathryn Flett or whatshername,yes,Mariella Frostrup, I just can';t be bothered..

Flaw in your plan - journalism pays bugger all (unless you are India knight or Mariella who I presume get paid rather more). Really it does.

Plus there are a zillion other people who have all thought the same and are trying to sell work to editors, so basically you spend a lot of time chasing work and not receiving a reply.
It has its glamorous moments but not on a daily basis for most of us.

I do agree there's loads of tosh in the papers' parenting and lifestyle pages - none of it mine of course!

<<Runs off to panic about banker husband potentially not having a job>>

Tortington Mon 15-Sep-08 12:23:57

you could do it part time

and still teach

they dont get paid a lot - whatever a lot is

i think they get paid fuck all relatively

PoorOldEnid Mon 15-Sep-08 12:26:36

they get paid fuck all

I know one

she is utterly chaotic and I think half the things she writes are wish fullfillment

P.s. to answer whether you could do it - probably, provided you can write well, have good ideas, a bit of luck and the persistence to chase editors who ignore your calls and emails until they know you well (and sometimes even if they do know you).

Be aware too that a lot of the twonk pieces are done by staffers and to get something published as a newbie, your ideas would have to be pretty attractive.

And don't expect to get a great, regular income as a freelancer though.

NicMac Mon 15-Sep-08 13:05:59

The worst is Helena Frith what's her face! She writes utter rubbish about life in France, she makes my blood boil.

mrsmarmalade Mon 15-Sep-08 13:32:13

As a sometime writer of vapid, shite pieces (along the lines of 'Ironing, doncha just hate it?!') for women's lifestyle mags, I envy you, Malory. The fact that you're a teacher means you'd be well placed to flog features to newspapers about educational trends/reforms/what teachers generally think about what's happening in classrooms/'kids today', etc. Must agree, though, that the money is shite. This season I am mostly wearing plastic, £15 boots that set my feet on fire.

Blu Mon 15-Sep-08 13:35:19

mmm - you'll have to think of some snappier titles though - if your thread title is anything to go by!

Bridie3 Mon 15-Sep-08 13:38:03

I never read the lifestyle magazines like the Sunday Times Style section.

But--as a professional writer, not a journalist, but someone who turns out copy for books, to deadline, and for other publications, too, I can tell you that it's not as easy as it sometimes looks.

You have to write the stuff even when you feel completely uninspired. It has to be done to deadline.It has to be done to the right length. It has to be grammatically correct and spelled correctly.

All these 'yous' are generic, btw.

There is no escaping the blank screen. I haven't met today's deadline, so I'm off...

BitOfFun Mon 15-Sep-08 13:47:43

But they must get paid oodles, surely. Carrie Bradshaw sustained a Manhatton apartment and a designer shoe fetish, plus lunch in swanky restaurants with rich friends on just 300 words in a newspaper once a week. Or is that only in telly-land?

I am not a journo, but I write turgid articles for a turgid magazine

It's shithouse

These women who write this nonsense are vacuous non-entities like Rosie Millard, who is probably doing the job because she's well connected

Stick with teaching, I bloody well wish that I had.

RubyRioja Mon 15-Sep-08 13:55:50

Nah. Stick to teaching. We all know that you work 5 hours a day, with 12 weeks holiday and shagging in the art and craft storecupboard wink

I think I must have worked in the wrong school then. The most exciting thing that ever happened where I worked was when someone brought in a pack of chocolate hobnobs. There were squeals of ecstasy all round. In fact - momentarily, nobody cared whose cup was whos. People were drinking coffee out of the wrong cup with gay abandon that lunchtime - it was so exciting!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now