to be angry that he's smoking eels.

(85 Posts)
Spidermama Mon 25-Aug-08 11:38:26

We have to go away on Wednesday for a week so the plumber can pull up our floorboards and completely replace our heating system. There's a great deal to do before this can happen as the house is in chaos.

He's in the garden smoking eels.

Yesterday we had some friends round from London who we hadn't seen for ages. I cleaned the house and made a cake.

Just when the house was begining to smell fresher he started a fire in the garden in order to smoke eels. I told him I wasn't having it. (I'm vegetarian and so were two of the three visitors.) So he stopped.

I thought we'd be together today sorting the house out. There's so much to do, but he's gone off in the garden to smoke fucking eels again.

Thing is, I don't think he should bring them home in the first place. He's an angler. He caught them. They've been in my fridge and freezer.

I'm very tolerant of meat in the fridge which he cooks for the kids ... but for me this is too much.

He says it's no different from buying a chicken and putting it in the fridge but I just feel this is taking it too far. It's like he's rubbing my nose in it.

AIBU?

pointydog Tue 26-Aug-08 17:35:02

rofl - this is just brilliant! Smoking farkin ells in the garden.

And I thought you meant the plumber at first.

Spidermama Tue 26-Aug-08 17:23:42

Thanks for the links TT. I'm just off to the health food shop to stock up.

Lovesdogsandcats Tue 26-Aug-08 14:24:29

Oh dear, i feel that bringing them home and doing this in back garden, when there is NO NEED FOR IT, is deffo rubbing your nose in it...i am veggie and I think i would feel he was taking the piss.

If he likes smoked eels so much go and buy them like normal people...although, eels, ew what a thought.

suedonim Tue 26-Aug-08 12:37:54

Ohmygiddygod'spyjamas, that clip was vile! grin Spidermama, Mary Queen of Scots is alledged to have gone on saying a prayer for some seconds after her head was detached from her body. shock shock

TooTicky Mon 25-Aug-08 23:37:45

Um... go for it!!! Viva have lots of good information. They also sell some excellent recipe books - let me know if you'd like recommendations smile
Being vegan is great - I feel very "clean" inside.
Parsley Soup also v. good for recipes.
Let me know what you'd like to know....
Good for her!!

I'm very impressed with Spiderdad.Did he make the smoker himself?

The only thing I've caught & killed myself are American crayfish,which are nasty,evil things.I've trained the dd's to catch them too.

I'm also impressed by .Falcon.How cool is having your own bird of prey envy

Spidermama Mon 25-Aug-08 22:44:34

Thanks TT.

My dd wants to be vegan. She's been veggie for a year or so. (she's 9). Any advice?

TooTicky Mon 25-Aug-08 21:47:12

YANBU [vegan] wink

Loshad Mon 25-Aug-08 21:41:28

thread of the week definately. Have been rofl, though tin drum clip was vile.

halogen Mon 25-Aug-08 21:29:54

You ate it, Nigeela, possibly in your sleep.

MamaHobgoblin Mon 25-Aug-08 20:30:10

I was going to say I loved smoked eels and that Spiderdad could come round and smoke me some any day...and then I watched that clip. Gone off them now.

scottishmummy Mon 25-Aug-08 19:51:45

LOL i have a really concrete way of thinking i thought WTF how does he smoke that with tobacco when i read thread titleblush

Nigeela Mon 25-Aug-08 19:39:49

this has reminded me that there was some smoked mackeral in the fridge yesterday but i have no idea where it is now. no one else would have eaten it. it is gone. where is it?

Threadwworm Mon 25-Aug-08 19:34:13

Thought you'd like it. grin

Spidermama Mon 25-Aug-08 19:33:28

OMFG! shock

That's the stuff of my nightmares.

Did you see how the head squiggled even though he'd cut it off? I wonder if our heads would do that.

That woman on the rocks. That was me.

Threadwworm Mon 25-Aug-08 19:29:04
falcon Mon 25-Aug-08 13:53:10

Eel sushi is the best.

Countingthegreyhairs Mon 25-Aug-08 13:48:28

smoked eels are delicious .....

halogen Mon 25-Aug-08 13:48:15

I think this is the best thread I have ever read on AIBU. Sorry not to have sensible advice re the eel-smoking but I am laughing too hard.

BroccoliSpears Mon 25-Aug-08 13:29:51

PMSL @ knitting a lentil bake.

<resolves to always refer to the cooking of lentil dishes as 'knitting' from now on>

falcon Mon 25-Aug-08 13:26:42

I can understand that,most people have a problem with the thought of killing their own and with the sight of dead animals, and a vegetarian has even more reason to feel that way.

I am biased I admit as I go hunting for rabbits, hare, pheasant etc with hawks but I feel more guilt about buying farm raised meat that I know little about than I do about killing a rabbit.

Spidermama Mon 25-Aug-08 13:23:18

Falcon, intellectually I know you're absolutely right.

Emotionally I can't help being repulsed.

Spidermama Mon 25-Aug-08 13:22:11

Spiderdad is very grateful to the majority of you for easing his eel smoking passage today.

They're all eating smoked eels for lunch now. I'm knitting lentil bake.

Now. Must crack on.

falcon Mon 25-Aug-08 13:21:36

YABU he isn't rubbing your nose in it.

He isn't a vegetarian and it's actually generally far more humane to kill something yourself if you know how to do it properly, besides it lived it's life free and ate a natural diet which is more than one can say for the majority of farm animals.

It'd be far worse to waste the meat, now if he did that I wouldn't be at all happy.

It's most likely had a better life and death than the chicken you allow him to bring home for the kids.

MKG Mon 25-Aug-08 13:12:57

Don't smoke them, make sushi! MMM eel rolls are sooooooo good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now