To make lunch from the buffet breakfast at our (frankly) ludicrously expensive hotel in Crete

(313 Posts)
luverlyjubberly Tue 05-Aug-08 11:52:02

We are off on holiday tomorrow and we booked this a year ago.....before my dh lost his job and before we couldn't really afford it. However, it was too late to cancel without losing our money and we didn't want to disappoint the kids, so we are off anyway. This means we are staying in an expensive 5 star resort on a small budget. I'd already paid for the bed/breakfast so I'm thinking, since they have a massive buffet (we've been before) that we ought to stock up on rolls, cheese, ham, fruit etc and feed ourselves this at lunchtime to save money. We have two kids who would be happy enough with this and I reckon it would save us a small fortune. However dh is really against it saying that it's something he'd never do, we'd have to do it on the quiet - which he hates the idea of - and he thinks it's giving our kids the wrong message (like we are stealing or something)....

Views please.. don't kill me please - I'm just trying not to go into mounds of debt...

WideWebWitch Tue 05-Aug-08 11:54:12

I don't think it's on tbh.
Can you do a shop when you get there and have lunch from that rather than in any restaurant/cafe?
Or is there any way you can raise some cash before you go?
I think it is giving the wrong message, sorry, I know that's not what you want to hear but I agreee with your dh.
Having said that, I've just read Hotel Babylon and apparently lots of Brits do this.

fluffyanimal Tue 05-Aug-08 11:54:40

You've paid for it, if it's a help-yourself-as-much-as-you-want buffet, then what's the difference if you take some away to eat later? It is definitely not stealing if you've already paid for it. I'd do it. In fact, I have done it in the past.

WideWebWitch Tue 05-Aug-08 11:55:57

I think I'd just find it embarrassing. And if you have to do it sureptitiously then it will be stressful. If you are ok with being brazen about it maybe it'll be ok.

moondog Tue 05-Aug-08 11:56:20

Good God, is de rigueur to thieve from buffet. Go for it.
My dh once had seven different puddings from abuffet, just because he could. grin

mum2taylor Tue 05-Aug-08 11:56:57

I agree with fluffy....you pay 5 star prices for a 5 star hotel anyway....kids never eat as much in the mornings so you probably dont get your moneys-worth for breakfast anyway! grin GO FOR IT!

themoon66 Tue 05-Aug-08 11:59:36

it would be far too embarrassing if they told you off in front of other guests. I wouldn't do it for fear of this.

Could you not just eat breakfast very late, thereby covering two meals in one very long, fill your face, sitting? (brunch).

You can shop locally in small supermarkets for lunch more cheaply than going and sitting in cafes.

Bumdiddley Tue 05-Aug-08 12:01:28

Excellent idea. I decanted a apple juice at a breakfast buffet.

Pile up your plates and hoif it into your handbag

The way I see it is that you're doing your duty to stop food waste grin

Your dh doesn't have to get involved!

I wouldn't do it tbh. It is stealing as you are only paying for the food you can eat at that sitting.

BUT... my guess is the buffet will be open til around 11. No harm in having a late + big breakfast that will see you all through to early tea at 5ish

nametaken Tue 05-Aug-08 12:02:56

When I was in Egypt last year "ze germans" kept doing this all the time AND THEY WERE ALWAYS CAUGHT AND HUMILIATED.

A tiny little egyptian waiter would come running over and shout NO NO you cannot take the food away.

Don't do it because:

1. How on earth are you gonna hide lunch for 4 people about your person grin
2. They WILL BE WATCHING you like hawks
3. It's stealing

tiredemma Tue 05-Aug-08 12:05:28

I did this at a 4* on majorca, just a napkinful of biscuits and a few other perishables. I was caught the head waiter, berated like a small child and felt reasonably chastised throughout the remainder of the day.

Blu Tue 05-Aug-08 12:06:44

Well, I have done this many times when on my own, travlling for work on magre expenses...but have always done it surreptitiously - I can't imagine assembling a picnic for family in this way. I thnk you would need considerable 'front'to do it openly. Just casually grab the odd piece of fruit or something.

And if you shop in greek shops / veg stalls rather than tourist-orintated supermarkets you should be able to cater for basic beach lunches reasonable economically - bread rolls, tomatoes and local cheese rather than imported produce. Bakeries do lovely spinach-y, cheesy pastries quite cheaply.

fluffyanimal Tue 05-Aug-08 12:09:18

On the other hand, it is true that if you eat a really big breakfast, you may not need lunch. I've had this experience also.

Blu Tue 05-Aug-08 12:09:29

Well, tales of people being spotted and berated have ensured I will never do it again!

If you pack lightly you can tuck in tins of tuna, etc?

falcon Tue 05-Aug-08 12:09:32

I'm with your dh on this one, it is stealing really, at a buffet the agreement is that you can consume as much as you like so long as it's between the set times.

I'd do as www suggests and do a shop, or perhaps you could ask at the end of the buffet if they'd let you have some of the items for a small fee, some buffets will do that, and who knows they may even take pity on you and let you have it for nothing.

Shoegazer Tue 05-Aug-08 12:11:09

I have done it, but I am brazen and I don't care I like to think I am getting my money's worth. However, I didn't do it for 4 people, that would be quite a task! Just get a loaf of bread and some cheese/ham from the supermarket.

nametaken Tue 05-Aug-08 12:11:43

LOL, that's begging!!!!!

MaloryDontDiveItsShallow Tue 05-Aug-08 12:13:29

this REALLY irrrates me

its reallt skanky

eat loads at breakfats

skio lunch or buy a banana or a yoghurt for lunch

falcon Tue 05-Aug-08 12:14:41

I'd rather beg than steal and if you're paying a fee for the food, it isn't really begging is it?

It's quite common in America I believe for some buffets to charge a small fee if people wish to take some home., that way they can take some home sans the guilt.

TheHedgeWitch Tue 05-Aug-08 12:18:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

haggisaggis Tue 05-Aug-08 12:19:12

We always seem to eat enough at the breakfast buffet so we don't need lunch - in Montreal this year ds managed to have 7 courses one day!
Mind you, in that hotel you were also encouraged to take food away to eat later..

Caz10 Tue 05-Aug-08 12:20:27

i'm always quite happy to walk off with eg a banana or something, but no more than that.

last time i went on hols with dh our lunch came from the supermarket every day, just bread, ham/cheese, some fruit and water, only a few euros.

also late brekkie and early tea.

once when we were extremely skint and even the supermarket was pushing it, we would go down early and REALLY linger, so cereal, fruits etc, then a while later some sausages or whatever, then by last serving time we were on coffee and pastries! grin did us until tea

LewisFan Tue 05-Aug-08 12:21:38

That's what big beach bags are for - to take the food with you wink

You paid for it; you're entitled to eat it!

I did it at Butlins a few weeks ago... so did EVERYone else.

posieflump Tue 05-Aug-08 12:22:41

We used to do that as students.
We were in halls so got breakfast and dinner
I used to make jam sandwiches at breakfast to have for lunch as was too skint to buy anything else!

falcon Tue 05-Aug-08 12:22:43

You're not entitled at all to eat the food other than in that room or ouwith opening and closing of the buffet.hmm

wannaBe Tue 05-Aug-08 12:24:01

I think it's chavvy tbh.

And of course it's stealing, if it was a take away buffet then that's different, but it's all you can eat, not all you can fit in your handbag. hmm

LadyMuck Tue 05-Aug-08 12:24:34

How about timing breakfast for as late as possible to turn it into brunch. I have also been known to attend breakfast twice - once at 7am with my kids who have been up since 6 and think they are starving, and then again at 10 just before it closes when it becomes an early lunch.

pointydog Tue 05-Aug-08 12:26:55

How are you going to get a load of cheese and ham into your handbag? What a stressful breakfast.

Food's cheap in Crete. Stuff your faces at breakfast and buy no more than a pastry for lunch. The kids'll prob want ice creams anyway, not sweaty cheese rolls.

MaloryDontDiveItsShallow Tue 05-Aug-08 12:28:32

i wonder if the OP will be buying any ice creams or drinks on this hol???hmm

OrmIrian Tue 05-Aug-08 12:31:17

I wouldn't. Just eat plenty of breakfast and manage with a snack (from shop) for lunch. I rarely want much for lunch when its hot anyway.

cornsilk Tue 05-Aug-08 12:33:36

I always eat loads and don't fancy anything till teatime anyway. Just feed the children at lunchtime - it won't cost as much then.

muggglewump Tue 05-Aug-08 12:37:07

I'd do it only if I knew I'd not get caught. I don't eat breakfast at all so taking my share for DD's lunch would hardly be the crime of the century but I'd feel so embarrassed if caught that I'd have to be sure I wouldn't.
My parents did always think it was such a skanky thing to do though and would never have dreamed of it and we went on holiday.

nametaken Tue 05-Aug-08 12:38:56

Oh and the other thing is that things like ham and cheese need to be refrigerated until you use them. You run the risk of getting food-poisoning otherwise.

mousemole Tue 05-Aug-08 12:41:15

not worth the humiliation really. What would be the monetary value of a few sandwiches anyway ? Cant you stock up a local supermarket daily ?

Lilymaid Tue 05-Aug-08 12:42:10

I wouldn't do this for adults, but with children a large handbag and plastic bags is the answer. We vaguely thought about this last week in Switzerland, but ate so much at breakfast buffet that we didn't need anything more apart from drink until the evening.

hanaflower Tue 05-Aug-08 12:42:16

Agree with those who have said it's stealing. I have done it as a very poor student at a German youth hostel, but that's different to packing a family picnic in your bag. Just eat a big breakfast at the buffet and you won't need lunch, and go self-catering next time - food in supermarkets is cheap in Greece, and you get a fridge in your apartment.

eandz Tue 05-Aug-08 12:42:21

seriously, you have to ask?!

when we were kids we had a similar summer vacation. the year my grandmother went into hospital for months (lots of private care bills...this all happened in the states) and then my mom lost her job and my dad's business took a hit for the worst. our vacations were always at marthas vineyard so very expensive for our family at the time.

my mom did the same thing. all four of the kids were in on it and my dad was very much against it. but we all knew that times were a little tough and if the food was ours because we paid for it in the morning surely it was ours if we decided to take it for later.

every morning we all made our day bags (my mom felt we should carry our own toys on vacation) and inside we all got an extra couple of plastic bags. each kid was responsible for taking exactly what we wanted for lunch and a snack. it was great.

my dad felt like it was stealing for some time, but come lunch time he always seemed to enjoy the fact that he only paid for one lunch rather than 6. we didn't care, it was fun and one of those times we got to 'stick it to the man' as my mom called it.

i've had to steal food from parties/wedding receptions and conferences as a university student. i don't regret it. but i do make sure to buy food for homeless people outside of tesco/m&s when i'm there.

falcon Tue 05-Aug-08 12:44:23

To the last post I can only say shock and hmm

luverlyjubberly Tue 05-Aug-08 12:49:08

Ok ok, so the majority call this stealing. Wow.... tbh I also had not thought about being caught! I'm sure I've seen a few families stuff a couple of rolls in their bags over breakfast and I just thought "what's the harm".. these hotels make an absolute killing out of us in all other ways, will they seriously miss a couple of bread rolls and a bit of cheese?! Having said that, I do realise that if everyone did it, it would be bad news. So, I guess I'm off to the supermarket then. And as for Malory "I wonder if the OP will be buying any ice creams or drinks"....what the heck is your problem?? I only "asked" - hence the thread. Now I'm going with the majority - the power of posting. And yes, I might splash out on an ice cream - is that OK?? (I don't "drink" by the way, neither does dh, but I might buy a bottle of water)...

castlesintheair Tue 05-Aug-08 12:52:31

Can't you just have a big breakfast then have a Greek salad (which always comes with bread) if you are pekkish. Not expensive in Greece to eat if you avoid big hotels/resorts. Buy an icecream from a taverna/petrol station.

have a great holiday smile

mrswoolf Tue 05-Aug-08 12:56:05

I don't think I would be brave enough to risk the potential embarrasment personally.
I'm not sure I'd call it stealing as such, but the hotel staff wouldn't consider it the done thing if they spotted you.

Caz10 Tue 05-Aug-08 12:59:52

oh yes, what castlesintheair said - you'd be suprised how many "extras" you get in cheap tavernas - bread, olives etc, you can fill up quite easily!

dh and I are always skint on holiday, having scraped together to pay for the damm thing, so we are experts at eating cheaply whilst there!

depends how fussy you are, but roadside carts etc are cheap, when we were in Greece there was a guy doing whole corn on the cobs for a euro each, lovely!!

Blu Tue 05-Aug-08 13:01:44

eh?

I thought Malory was on your side - suggesting that telling someone who is on a ve tight budget to buy ice creams mighgt be being a bit unrealistic. No-one's questioning your spending - and since your DH was the first to mention the 's' word, it can hardly be a surprise th lots of Mn-ers did too!

Anyway - have a nice hol, sorry things are so tough for you re job.

luverlyjubberly Tue 05-Aug-08 13:02:13

Thank you witch grin

Blu Tue 05-Aug-08 13:04:00

Don't buy donuts from beach hawkers without asking the price first - that was the only time we got seriously ripped off for food in greece.

ooh, I love those little 'gyros' kebabs in pita they sell in kiosks and from windows - they are VERY filling and not generally expensive

luverlyjubberly Tue 05-Aug-08 13:05:30

Sorry - may have misread her intention re. the ice cream bit - but nonetheless, Malory's first post was a little OTT in my opinion on this thread. Nonetheless, I'm in a holiday mood and I'm off........thank you to everyone who gave their opinions. I'm back on the straight and narrow now!! wink

Caz10 Tue 05-Aug-08 13:12:27

mmmmm gyros....

I am so desparate for a holiday this thread is making me very envy!

Guadalupe Tue 05-Aug-08 13:17:02

Oh no, my mum make us do this once when we had hardly any money on holiday and it was excruciatingly embarrassing. I hated it. We had made friends with another family and there were cheese and ham rolls for nine people wrapped up under the table in napkins. I was eleven and wanted to the ground to open up.

combustiblelemon Tue 05-Aug-08 13:27:10

Luverlyjubberly, I wouldn't do that but there are other ways you can save cash. They tend to charge way over the odds for drinks (even water or coke) in five star hotels, so it's worth finding the nearest shop/supermarket and stocking up- if you do it once and take a taxi back to your hotel it would be worthwhile. The mini-bar fridge will keep them cool. You can refill small bottles for your DCs.

As other people have mentioned, breakfast can go on till 10:30/11, so if you bought fruit and/or yoghurt you could have that in your room when you get up are woken up at six by your DCs and have lunch as kind of brunch.

mousemole Tue 05-Aug-08 13:30:27

good for you lb ! That's the power of a post isn't it. Enjoy your hols and make sure you eat LOADS at breakfast ! I like the idea of 2 breakfasts as well !

mckenzie Tue 05-Aug-08 13:33:57

the saying is "breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper".

So go with that and linger over breakfast, have a few courses and maybe take a banana with you when you leave and have that for lunch. I've often taken a piece of fruit from the breakfast buffet, always openly, and never been stopped or felt guilty. In the heat of the day your apetitde is usually surpressed anyway isn't it?

Enjoy your holiday luverlyjubberly smile

Cappuccino Tue 05-Aug-08 13:35:50

I can't see the problem in saying to your kids 'Take a piece of fruit with you for later'

I can see the problem with stuffing a picnic hamper under the table

belgo Tue 05-Aug-08 13:43:36

I've done this with the odd bread roll/croissant/pot of nutella/fruit. Quite openly, and no one has ever stopped me.

MogTheForgetfulCat Tue 05-Aug-08 13:44:21

I wouldn't do it because I am too much of a drip and would be mortified if challenged.

But I don't think it's too bad as long as you don't go mad. Ideas for extended breakfasts/brunches quite good, though as an alternative.

noddyholder Tue 05-Aug-08 13:45:33

Tempting but no.Just eat loads so that lunch can be small and on holiday appetites do diminish esp in the heat.Have a couple of cheap nights with take away kebabs instead of meals out and buy a few bits like crisps etc and shove them in your case before you go

squilly Tue 05-Aug-08 13:58:39

I don't see the problem with taking a little for lunch. I agree with the concept that you've paid for it, as long as you don't take a suitcase in with you.

My dd eats little to nothing before lunchtime anyway, so the lingering over breakfast thing doesn't cut it with her.

And I don't see it as stealing at all. Going into a hotel you're not staying at and taking food would be stealing. Taking food from the hotel you're paying for? How can that possibly be stealing?

I see it as taking a regular girls intake of food from breakfast and giving it to her when she'll eat it. If she had the appetite of the average child, she'd probably eat more at breakfast than we take anyway.

SalLikesCoffee Tue 05-Aug-08 14:13:22

luverlyjubberly, hope you have a great holiday! Good on you for caring.

I won't repeat what's already said, but would add that this way your dh wouldn't need to be stressed about something he disagrees with either. And the last thing he needs is for someone to try and humiliate him in front of everyone else. So all in all a more relaxed holiday for all.

It also gives you the chance to stock up on local snacks at local supermarkets - cheap and more interesting than hotel food for the children. As a back-up, why not take a couple of cup-a-soup, hot choc etc type things with which you can prepare with boiling water in your room as a late-night snack - if you don't use it, fine, but saves having to order rediculously expensive room service late at night in a "food crisis"?

hanaflower Tue 05-Aug-08 14:22:37

Look carefully at the price of greek salad in tavernas. It can often be 3x the price of the other starters, because all the tourists get it. You can usually buy feta, tomatoes and olives as separate starters for less. smile I'm drooling at the thought of tzatziki, calemari and dolmades now...

bluefox Tue 05-Aug-08 14:40:01

Not read whole thread but I disagree with anyone who has said do it 'because you have paid for it'. It has NOT been paid for and is theft. This would be like going into one of those 'eat as much as you like' Chinese buffets then taking a whole load of stuff out with you for your next meal.

squiffy Tue 05-Aug-08 14:49:55

If I were a journo (or a troll) and I wanted to separate out the Skanks from the Boden Gals in order to work out the demographics of MN, I can't think of a better question to use...

<folds arms v suspiciously>

alexpolismum Tue 05-Aug-08 14:51:06

I live in Greece and I don't think that food is terribly expensive here. Just avoid all the obvious tourist traps and go where the locals go. If you go to the bakery, you can get lovely little pastries filled with spinach and cheese (spanakopita, tiropita) at a reasonable price, or if you want things like dolmades, you can buy them in tins in the supermarket - just don't go to the touristy mini supermarkets, go to the proper one. Whereabouts in Crete will you be?

Blu Tue 05-Aug-08 14:52:23

Or choosing the B&B option from a hotel that also offers half Board and 3 full meals a day as different options, but everyone taking enough at breakfast to eat lunch and dinner, and perhaps filling a couple of chiller bags t take home ofr the freezer??
'Paying for it' means you are paying for one meal, not two.

But not saying this from atop any high horse, as I have done it to a small degree.

I do think buffets and 'all you can eat' tend to bring out the worst inpeople. My Mum used to do freelance catering for weddings, and wa always exasperated by people who piled absolutely everything on to their plates to the detriment of the meal - e.g big slices of beef carpaccio slopped onto a wedge of smoked salmon with the vegetarian spicy option balancing on top of the whole lot.

SixSpotBurnet Tue 05-Aug-08 14:56:56

I wouldn't do it to any great extent myself, although I wouldn't have a problem with taking one or two extra bits of fruit, perhaps.

I agree with what others have said - it should be easy enough to buy inexpensive picnic food from local shops, and you can always breakfast late and in effect have brunch rather than just breakfast.

Hope you enjoy the holiday!

bluefox Tue 05-Aug-08 14:57:55

Blu - I agree with you on this 'all you can eat' business. It disgusts me to see people piling up their plates so high out of sheer green and then leaving most of it. This happens regularly at our local Toby carvery as well. Some people are absolute pigs. (sorry no disrespect to pigs!)

bluefox Tue 05-Aug-08 14:59:24

Sorry meant greed not green!

SalLikesCoffee Tue 05-Aug-08 15:11:23

Not directed at OP btw, but on the topic of greed - some people seem to forget their manners at home when faced with buffets. Just because something's "included", doesn't mean you have to have it. Or have half a plate of something for the off chance that you might like it... It's greedy, shows you're not used to it, and wastes otherwise good food if you don't like it.

Oliveoil Tue 05-Aug-08 15:15:14

You have not seen greed until you have been to Las Vegas and seen the gluttony in the buffet sections there

omg

piled high

and then the porkers ask for skimmed milk or diet coke

ffs

back to the OP - on holiday you do not eat much at lunch, just do what others have said - get bread and cheese and bits from the local shop

take to beach in cooler box if poss - do you have a mini bar? freeze water bottles over night, they will defrost nicely on the beach, keeping food cool and giving you icy water as a bonus

falcon Tue 05-Aug-08 15:18:17

I prefer the taste of diet coke and semi skimmed milk/skimmed milk so I imagine that's why people who ask for either,. even after piling their plates high, do so.

This is one of my pet peeves.

Gateau Tue 05-Aug-08 15:18:45

I think it's skanky. What does it cost to buy some bread, cheese and tomatoes from the suypermarket??! Not a lot.
Surely you knew it was an expensive hotel when you booked it?

ScottishMummy Tue 05-Aug-08 15:18:50

Stealing,depriving other's,bad manners,manky.awww pipe down everyone

dont imagine she was going to fill a hamper bag, a refrigerated sack and have hand to hand combat with guests over the pastries.

i imagine couple bits of fruit, some bread rolls.Exercise a modicum of discretion yes BUT

go for it
actually you have paid for it
you are cash strapped

bit of sympathy for OP position, some empathy about being skint and trying to be resourceful

falcon Tue 05-Aug-08 15:20:14

She's paid for breakfast, she hasn't paid for lunch.

bluefox Tue 05-Aug-08 15:24:40

SM She HASNT paid for it.

i'm sorry but it is stealing. If it was not stealing there would be no need to hide the rolls in your handbag you could just walk out with them.

EthelTheUnready Tue 05-Aug-08 15:25:43

How about having breakfast as late as possible (when you are really really hungry and can eat loads) and then eating as early as you can in the evening? That way you can miss out lunch altogether and will only need 2 meals a day.

anniemac Tue 05-Aug-08 15:27:01

ScottishMummy Tue 05-Aug-08 15:28:33

ta for EMPHASIS i do understand OP and her propsition.dont have a problem with it,she's skint trying to be resourceful stretch a wee bit money

so you all maintain the snippy moral high ground of "she's not paid" tsk

i will pragmatically maintain, be discreet.some fruit etc

no big deal

anniemac Tue 05-Aug-08 15:30:39

Blu Tue 05-Aug-08 15:32:26

Gateau - very unfair - read the OP properly.

lucyellensmum Tue 05-Aug-08 15:32:36

Doesn't everyone do this? Its expected isn't it? I would do it and enjoy my holiday even more because i managed it - i dont think the hotel will miss your bits taht you take, i would assume anything not eaten is simply chucked anyway - so really, you are being ecologically responsible and deserve an ecobeebies green star!

bluefox Tue 05-Aug-08 15:33:02

If everyone started stuffing their bags with stuff at breakfast time then surely the hoteliers would have to increase their prices for all of us to compensate for the thieves.

Gateau Tue 05-Aug-08 15:34:52

Oh yes, misread the initial post. Sorry.
But I still think to do this is skanky.

Twiglett Tue 05-Aug-08 15:35:24

I'd do it for the kids but not for the adults

lucyellensmum Tue 05-Aug-08 15:35:53

oh and i almost forgot ENJOY your holiday

anniemac Tue 05-Aug-08 15:35:59

gladders Tue 05-Aug-08 15:36:27

aged 18 we used to all make our own packed lunches at breakfast!

aged 38 - i go armed with tupperwares to have snacks/lunch ready for kids - fruit, biscuits, donuts, sausages, croissants. also fill 2 beakers with juice.

i have never been challenged and don't feel bad about it. it's not excessive.

if aiming to feed us all for lunch, think would prob limit myself to meats and cheeses and buy fresh bread from shop? as long a i had access to fridge which am sure you do in 5 star.

hope you enjoy.

ScottishMummy Tue 05-Aug-08 15:36:32

sheesh this threads has grown legs and started running.some snaffled snacks!

not grand theft
not a rouse to deny other's
not likely to cost hoteliers or you more

have a word

for the millionth time dont exxagerate the consequences of this

SixSpotBurnet Tue 05-Aug-08 15:36:35

The only times in my life I have had food poisoning have been the result of eating at a restaurant buffet so I tend to treat them with caution anyway (although admittedly breakfast buffet is a lot less likely to be contaminated with nasties).

Blu Tue 05-Aug-08 15:36:48

ScottishMummy - I think it's a general discussion now - not aimed at OP - who was mremly exploring the idea since she is trying to make things add up.

I think strolling out with a peach in your hand as if about to eat it is fine, anyway.

Does anyone remember the thread here a MN-er went home with the ottles of shampoo and stuff from a hotel, and they wrote and asked her to send them back?? (they weren't miniatures)

Blu Tue 05-Aug-08 15:38:52

SixSpot - ooh, yes, nothing like a prawn fricassee nicely fermenting in a bain-marie for a couple of hours in a hot climate. But decanting curry into one's Boden Tote would be step beyond most people.

ScottishMummy Tue 05-Aug-08 15:40:54

well i think people need to see OP bit skint.being resourceful not wilfully contributing to wasteful culture or condoning theft

flip!

trying to save a wee bitty money

thats all folks

trying to be resourceful

think out the box

i think the catering industry wont buckle under the pressure

Love2bake Tue 05-Aug-08 15:43:16

I sooooo would do that grin

SixSpotBurnet Tue 05-Aug-08 15:44:12

Blu - I do remember that thread!

Lol at curry in Boden tote grin.

bluefox Tue 05-Aug-08 15:44:22

It might buckle with the cost of food these days. I just paid 37p for one measly apple yesterday!

falcon Tue 05-Aug-08 15:44:25

Saving money excuses theft?

And I'm not directing this at the OP btw who obviously hadn't really thought of it as being such.

I'm free to go shoplifting then? After all I'm on a budget.

It may not be grand theft, but theft is still theft and in no way justifable.

falcon Tue 05-Aug-08 15:45:10

I remember that thread too, does anyone know what happened in the end?

ScottishMummy Tue 05-Aug-08 15:48:29

oh i can seem dem pitchforks glistening.the crescendo of tutting,starts at buffet where will it end

might only be a bread roll, but a misappropriated bread roll well that could lead to

dissent
mutiny
loss of social order

alternatively
full stomachs full purse

Blu Tue 05-Aug-08 15:49:36

I once scrounged veg for a week by taking carrots and caulis from the edge of a nearby field, and justifying it to myself as 'only be eaten by rabbits, otherwise'. Should have added 'well I've paid for it' on thr grounds of farming subsidies...but of course was not actually paying any tax at the time, as a student scrounger.
Wouldn't do it now.

falcon Tue 05-Aug-08 15:49:55

Yes and a poor lesson being taught to one's children, a distinct lack of morals, again not directed at the OP.

WideWebWitch Tue 05-Aug-08 15:51:05

I remember the thread about Strattons, hang on, will find it. I think that's a bit different because hotels expect you to take shampoo etc with you. Aloha even phoned a couple of 5* hotels to check iirc, I won't ever go to Strattons as a result of that thread, they sound horrible.

ScottishMummy Tue 05-Aug-08 15:52:08

hold dem pitchforks higher!Stop that thief.that buffet snatching scoundrel.food filling handbag holding reprobate

WideWebWitch Tue 05-Aug-08 15:52:15

*scottish mummy*
what if the left over food was given to those working in the hotel to take home to their families? Would you be so flip then? Your presumption seems to be that it is a victimless crime so why make a big deal of it. I'm not sure that is the case

Blu Tue 05-Aug-08 15:52:40

So, ScottishMummy, for the sake of discussion, where does 'taking a bit extra' end and 'half-inching'begin? Since it is now an theoretical debate?

falcon Tue 05-Aug-08 15:52:58

Yes but if I remember this correctly they weren't miniatures, they were full sized toiletries meant for several guests to use and not just those occupying the room at that time.

FluffyMummy123 Tue 05-Aug-08 15:53:45

Message withdrawn

falcon Tue 05-Aug-08 15:53:56

So you won't mind if I dip your purse then SM?

I have my finances to think of.

falcon Tue 05-Aug-08 15:54:24

Stealing is usually controversial Cod.

Blu Tue 05-Aug-08 15:54:53

How can style and beauty be contraversial?

Everything can be contraversial when you are a bit bored.

Gateau Tue 05-Aug-08 15:54:55

What do you feel comfortable doing, OP? If you're going to cringe while doing it, is it worth it? And do you really want this germ-ridden stuff that has been sitting out for hours with everyone's breath and dirty paws on it??!
Just nip to he shop and get some fresh bread and salad- can't see the problem.

FluffyMummy123 Tue 05-Aug-08 15:55:41

Message withdrawn

ScottishMummy Tue 05-Aug-08 15:55:53

witch&chips i worked as waitress at uni we did take food home end of night actually
what is your point?

i am really astonished at the high pitched tsking and moral tizzy you are all taking over an innoccous suggestion

falcon Tue 05-Aug-08 15:57:03

No she's paid to consume the items at breakfast, she hasn't paid for lunch.

And I think we're no longer really discussing the OP but the act of taking food from a buffet to consume later.

Blu Tue 05-Aug-08 15:57:24

Yes, Cod, give a magistrates perspoective on paying for breakfast but helping yoursel to enough fo lunch as well!

You may be asked to preside over such a case, you know, given hard times! How will you react when your local TrustHouseForte brings a miscreant before you, squashed cheese croissant in hand, porridge dripping from seam of briefcase??? eh?

bluefox Tue 05-Aug-08 15:57:33

For the millionth time she hasnt paid for it!

misdee Tue 05-Aug-08 15:58:25

what time do they do buffet till? i would be tempted to eat later in the morning of buffet ran till 11 say, and fill up, and maybe take some fruit (or buy some locally) and other snacky things for later when there.

Gateau Tue 05-Aug-08 15:58:29

I think you'll find you are getting yourself into a right little tizzy yerself, SM..
It ain't worth it, really.

my point is that taking "too much" food from the buffet is then stealing from the people who work there. These people are also likely to be on tight budgets.

nametaken Tue 05-Aug-08 15:58:45

I didn't realise this practice was so commonplace.

This probably explains the high rates of food poisoning holidaymakers suffer from.

ScottishMummy Tue 05-Aug-08 15:59:33

LOL lots of badly thought out off at tangent stuff now.what if you stole my purse

Oh now im scared

what if i buttered your toast

dont be so tangential

if you cant compose a logical argument, dont bother

lucyellensmum Tue 05-Aug-08 16:00:38

Cod is a magistrate?? LEM reminds herself NEVER to get into trouble, like, ever - quite scared now grin.

Can anyone answer this question: Surely if the food is put out for a BUFFET breakfast, anything that isn't eaten must be thrown away? I for one certainly wouldnt fancy it the next morning!

Beetroot Tue 05-Aug-08 16:00:43

If you pop ot the local shops you will be able to get wonderful pies - spinach (spinakopita) cheese (tiropita) and a whole range.

not expensive

bluefox Tue 05-Aug-08 16:00:55

Ive seen people do this and its not just the odd bit of fruit but making and taking big piles of sandwiches, cheese etc

KatieDD Tue 05-Aug-08 16:01:08

PMSL at this one, it's bread and a banana for god sake.

Gateau Tue 05-Aug-08 16:01:14

Handbags at dawn...
Great entertainment on a boring day at work..

ScottishMummy Tue 05-Aug-08 16:01:27

witch&chips how is OP taking food stealing from an employee.huge extrapolation

hey as an employee i wasnt bothered whetther customers tucked in or not

no odds to staff

none at all

falcon Tue 05-Aug-08 16:02:58

The point with taking money from your purse is that it doesn't belong to me, and the contents of the buffet do not belong to anyone either beyond the agreed and paid for location and point.

Both are stealing and in both cases someone has to pay for the loss of goods, either you, in the case of the purse, or in regards to the buffet the hotel owners, staff or other customers in the form of increased rates.

So yes there are a few similarities.

ScottishMummy Tue 05-Aug-08 16:03:48

that would be filled to the gunnels with stolen food handbags at dawn-eh breakfast actually

lucyellensmum Tue 05-Aug-08 16:03:56

The sad thing is witchandchips is the food probably isn't given to the workers and you can bet your life they would lose their jobs if they took any of it .

It really isn't a big deal, id rather see it in the OPs holdall than in the skip.

take food from buffet that you have not paid for = less food for employees to take home with them

lucyellensmum Tue 05-Aug-08 16:05:41

WOULD SOMEBODY PLEASE ANSWER MY FUCKING QUESTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

onceinalifetime Tue 05-Aug-08 16:05:47

Can't believe how many people think it's ok. My parents had a hotel and it is definitely NOT expected.

As my mum would say, it's common.

Have a late breakfast, take a piece of fruit openly and not sneakily and be creative about lunch. Why don't you ask the hotel about packed lunches for beach or whatever, no need to tell them you're on a strict budget? They might actually make something up from the breakfast buffet for you. Otherwise look out for cheap local places and fill up on bread and salad. As others have said, chances are that a big, late breakfast will take you through the day anyway.

Have a lovely holiday!

ScottishMummy Tue 05-Aug-08 16:07:18

oh take from my purse less for me to go home with.Argh the moral complexity of it all?think not

actually a bunch of spurious loose assocaitios with sweet fa to do with someone skint bagging some goodies from the buffett cart

get a perspective before you dip my purse

Gateau Tue 05-Aug-08 16:07:23

I doubt the employees see ANY of then leftover food. I once worked in a restaurant as a Saturday job and they chucked it the leftovers in the bin before giving it to us.And that was a family-owned hotel, not a huge, greedy tourism company.

nametaken Tue 05-Aug-08 16:08:07

what was your fucking question grin

falcon Tue 05-Aug-08 16:08:18

Oh but I'm poor, I'll just take a little bit,. a few 20ps perhaps.

falcon Tue 05-Aug-08 16:08:52

Does anyone want to start another ''Eating in the supermarke'' thread?grin

ScottishMummy Tue 05-Aug-08 16:09:07

worked restuarnt we took food home every night.perk of job

ScottishMummy Tue 05-Aug-08 16:10:08

alrighty seeing your busy dipping my purse i will just pop round raid yer fridge, watch telly

nametaken Tue 05-Aug-08 16:10:48

Oh do you mean "does leftover food get thrown away?".

Well if I had to guess I would say that any cooked food left over is thrown away but that stuff like bread, cold meat and cheese are put back in the fridge and brought out again the next day. Why would they throw it away?

lucyellensmum Tue 05-Aug-08 16:10:51

DO THEY THROW THE FOOD AWAY OR NOT???????Its not rocket science really is it??

When i had a buffet at my fathers funeral they came and whipped the food away after two hours, i said, "why are you taking it away people are still picking" "health and safety" "fuck that, please can you put it in a doggie bag for me so my guests can take it home, i've just paid £500 for that lot!".

falcon Tue 05-Aug-08 16:11:25

Wait I'm not so sure about that.

Are you poor? If so feel free. If not bugger off.

LEM I don't think any of us knows. smile

nametaken Tue 05-Aug-08 16:11:57

You can't leave food out for more than 2 hours LEM, that's why the caterers took it away.

gagamama Tue 05-Aug-08 16:12:09

The only reason a buffet works is because it's all you can eat in ONE sitting, thereby imposing a limit which isn't implied but is inevitable. It's not 'all you can eat for every meal of the day', 'or all you your family, your mates and everyone else you know can eat' or 'limitless free food for everyone, forever!' Why would the offer that?! It's just all you can eat for breakfast!

This reminds me of a Chinese buffet I was at where a group of 3 came in and sat down. One of them kept going back and forwards to the buffet cart and putting plates in the middle of the table for them all to share. When it came to the bill, they thought they should only pay once, because only one of them got food, the others were just 'sharing' what he had. Erm, nice try, but that's not really how it works!

Gateau Tue 05-Aug-08 16:15:09

These buffets bring out the worst in people. I mean greed. That line, "You eat it, you paid for it.." makes my skin crawl.
Greedy, greedy, greedy.

lucyellensmum Tue 05-Aug-08 16:15:28

gaga thats funny I go to a chinese that does a buffet that they serve to you fresh, its lovely. However, if you order a dish and leave it, you have to pay full price for the food you leave - it works really well, its nice because they bring out small portions so you get to try everything. Wouldn't let anyone take a doggie bag though which i can understand. We always take doggie bags from resturants, and it is actually for the dog - my mother goes too far, she takes crusts of bread for the birds that visit her garden!

bluefox Tue 05-Aug-08 16:15:45

Our local chinese buffet has a sign saying that everyone who occupies a seat has to pay, whether or not they eat.

lucyellensmum Tue 05-Aug-08 16:16:36

nametaken, thankyou - i believe you have answered my question, if its not eaten THEY THROW IT AWAY - fill yer boots!!!

gagamama Tue 05-Aug-08 16:17:28

Having said that, if I was going to take food I would add it to my plate from the outset and then just before leaving just say to a waiter "I took this roll but I can't eat it, would it be ok if I take it for later rather than it just going in bin?"

Obviously they might start to see through you if you did this every day, though!

lucyellensmum Tue 05-Aug-08 16:21:11

I have an aunt in australia who would, fill her bags for lunch AND dinner. Takes all the sugar and milk packets from cafes and steals toilet rolls from the bogs. Serviettes, you name it. Now THATS common. I went to bingo with her and my mum once, they served the chips on paper plates, she actually put the plates in her bag i said to her, "WHAT are you doing its a USED paper plate" "ahhh that'l be OK, so and so has a barbeque at the weekend, saves us buying them" shock Made mental note NEVER to eat at her house, EVER. She is SO tight, they eat breast of mutton which is given away as pet food, never buys sugar etc as she takes it from cafes. I wouldn't mind but they are MINTED and regularly travel all over the world - i wonder why!!!!!

Sobernow Tue 05-Aug-08 16:24:39

Might as well join in with my take on it - if the buffet breakfast is from, say 7am - 11am the hotel will have arranged a food:resident ratio based on the number of people they have staying. Any sensible hotel catering manager will have worked out how many read rolls/grams of cheese etc per paying guest is allowable in the 'B&B' package.

So, if you fill up your doggie bags any time before 10.59am you are effectively nicking food from the guests who haven't eaten yet.

So, the staff will have to put our more food - probably from tomorrow's stock - to make sure those who eat later have the fair choice of food they have also paid for in advance.

So if you take more than the share you could reasonably have eaten in one sitting, then you are stealing.

Imo.

Gateau Tue 05-Aug-08 16:27:19

This is getting ridiculous. Was going to say why, but really can't be arsed. It's all getting boring.

falcon Tue 05-Aug-08 16:27:46

Exactly Sobernow, they'll have an approximate idea of how much cheese, bread,ham, yoghurt will be eaten in order to minimise cost/waste.

And if you take food from the buffet before it's over you could be using the last of the fruit,eggs, sausage etc meaning others may go without.

mum2taylor Tue 05-Aug-08 16:29:37

think of all those people who never turn up for breakfast due to hangovers, screaming toddlers etc, etc. who have already paid for B&B (not myself obviously, I would never waste food in such a manner wink). Think of it as simply taking their share! grin

lucyellensmum Tue 05-Aug-08 16:29:40

LEM is losing the will to live, actually, i aint bovvered

Sobernow Tue 05-Aug-08 16:31:45

Well, I'm not bothered about it - but we were asked what we thought.

PuppyMonkey Tue 05-Aug-08 16:37:13

Crikey, this has kicked off it seems - but I think why would you NOT do it? Waste of food otherwise. How odd that some people on this thread think it's not on.

We did it all the time on our stay in Paris. There were all these massive bagguettes and no-one else was taking them (we went for breakfast late usually) - filled em with the ham that no-one else was eating too and they kept us going til dinner. You're not stealing if the hotel was just gonna chuck the leftovers out...hmm

gladders Tue 05-Aug-08 16:38:25

hilarious, 7 pages over a few bread rolls.....

Sobernow Tue 05-Aug-08 16:40:36

But you don't know they were going to chuck it out. I don't think you'd last long in catering if you didn't have some kind of portion control or waste food deal with a third party.

But, as has been pointed out by those who think it's okay - it is boring to be told it might not be.

onceinalifetime Tue 05-Aug-08 16:41:39

"Why would you NOT do it"........ummm...because it's called breakfast, not lunch and the hotel is trying to run a business.

PuppyMonkey Tue 05-Aug-08 16:44:01

No-one ever eats the ham for breakfast when I go on hols. What would they do with it - serve it again? When it's already starting to go a bit manky?

I wouldn't last long in catering, you're right. Crap cook grin

mum2taylor Tue 05-Aug-08 16:45:05

but shes taking some food from the breakfast buffet (that she has paid for)...not as if shes sneaking her and her family into the lunch/dinner time sittings and nicking the food from there...ok filling up a handbag to the brim with food is a bit much but I dont see the problem in taking some of the food with you for later. smile

legalalien Tue 05-Aug-08 16:46:10

I probably wouldn't, as I'd feel embarrassed / afraid of being "spoken to", but I don't think it's a big deal, unless there's a big sign saying "please don't remove food from the dining room". If the hotel's having a real problem with bread-roll-pilferers, then they can surely put up a sign?

hifi Tue 05-Aug-08 16:47:49

on our last hols i too a banana and an apple for dd, the bread would probably go off if you too it.
some hotels we have been in have offered boxes so you can take as much as you like.if not offered i wouldnt risk it.
my mother who is as tight as a gnats arse used dds buggy to stash her lunch, i refused to push it when it was full.

PuppyMonkey Tue 05-Aug-08 16:48:35

I feel so sorry for the hotel trying to run a business and having people eat the food and everything instead of allowing them to keep it or throw it away.. hmm

Don't do a buffet if it's such a costly operation to run a hotel. Do a set meal for everyone!

onceinalifetime Tue 05-Aug-08 16:49:20

Yes but every hotel works on an average portion size per person and 4 people taking enough food for 8 every day pushes their margins down. Before anyone comes along and says f*ck their margins, I personally think it's greedy and chavvy. If you go to a 5 star hotel, you should try and behave like a 5 star guest [snob emoticon wink].

onceinalifetime Tue 05-Aug-08 16:50:16

That's not aimed at the OP, btw.

MABS Tue 05-Aug-08 16:53:17

i agree with onceinalifetime's 5 star comment totally.

PuppyMonkey Tue 05-Aug-08 16:53:52

If you go to a five star hotel, blardy get your money's worth. grin

As someone said before, loads of people don't even come down for breakfast. So to be fair, they should get some mney ack from the hotel.
Couldn't give a stuff if folk think it's common or chavvy. To me it's just sensible.

mum2taylor Tue 05-Aug-08 16:54:40

yes, you should only take food from the buffet afterwards if you are in a 3* hotel or less hmm

mum2taylor Tue 05-Aug-08 16:55:22

well said puppymonkey!!! In that case Im owed a fortune!!! grin

Word Tue 05-Aug-08 16:58:50

Onceinalifetime - Well said. If I stay in a 5-star establishment, it's to get away from this sort of behaviour. Bloody chavs.

MABS Tue 05-Aug-08 17:02:21

totally agree Word

PuppyMonkey Tue 05-Aug-08 17:03:55

Hey, I bet Brad and Angelina nick the breakfast ham... grin And that Posh Spice...

Word Tue 05-Aug-08 17:07:58

Last year I stayed in a 4* city hotel with some girlfriends - 2 of whom decided to help themselves to a pile of danish pastries "for lunch".

So tacky.......I'm still cringing now. (And btw we'd got the rooms for a bargain so "getting their money's worth" didn't apply).

lucyellensmum Tue 05-Aug-08 17:21:04

This snobbery is really unpleasant! Lets hope you lot never find yourselves on a budget!

"i go 5 star to get away from this sort of thing" WANKER

surreylady Tue 05-Aug-08 17:22:50

Late breakfast - perhaps a piece of fruit to take away- can't see the harm in that for the children. If the breakfast is open late and you are going to the beach/pool you can go there first and come to Brunch afterwards. This would mean that you would at any rate not need a full scale lunch later and if you want to have a snack I am sure the hotel will have shop that sells crackers etc - they generally do

Most places tend to over cater on buffets and alot of food gets thrown away unfortunately. I have worked in several hotels that did breakfast buffet and the early staff had breakfast from the buffet that had been out for up to 4 hours. None was given away/staff took none home.

Word Tue 05-Aug-08 17:23:36

That's not quite what I said, Lucyellensmum (you incorrectly imply that I stay in 5-star hotels all the time).

However, the tone of your reply has been noted and I wear my "wanker" badge with pride. Thank you.

Gobbledigook Tue 05-Aug-08 17:27:13

I've only read the OP.

In all honesty, I would feel really uncomfortable doing it but really, I don't see why you shouldn't - you've paid for the buffet breakfast. Other people might eat the equivalent of 3 courses while you only have a bowl of cereal so I don't see what's wrong with taking a roll and some fruit.

lucyellensmum Tue 05-Aug-08 17:27:17

My pleasure word, you were right though, i did misquote you, i apologise!

By Word on Tue 05-Aug-08 16:58:50
Onceinalifetime - Well said. If I stay in a 5-star establishment, it's to get away from this sort of behaviour. Bloody chavs.

Have another badge, fuckwit!! wink

I will be going on my "9.50" Sun holiday this year, to a chavtastic caravan site, and if it aint nailed down, im avin it!!

Word Tue 05-Aug-08 17:27:38

Oh, and Lucyellensmum, for your info, I've just done 7 years of self-catering holidays in Cornwall.

Interesting that so many people who cry poor have enough money to stay in hotels abroad. I would say, if you can't afford to feed your family on holiday, you shouldn't book it in the first place.

I'm not of course referring to the OP, whose circumstances changed.

Gobbledigook Tue 05-Aug-08 17:28:38

'My dh once had seven different puddings from abuffet, just because he could.'

Priceless MD grin

I must admit, I've taken pieces of fruit from the buffet at hotels, or a muffin or something to eat later. Being the sort of person I am I felt a bit 'off' doing it but in my rational mind I know there is no reason not to.

lucyellensmum Tue 05-Aug-08 17:30:46

Are you in therapy now word? For all those years of struggling? Please tell me it wasn't in a caravan - god forbid. But wait one goddamn minute, don't you have to remortgage to holiday in cornwall these days??

onceinalifetime Tue 05-Aug-08 17:31:52

lucyellensmum, looks like you misquoted me too. I didn't say anything about staying in a 5 star establishment to get away from anyone, just behaving appropriately, chav or otherwise.

Do I really deserve to be called a fuckwit? Why are you so angry?

Sobernow Tue 05-Aug-08 17:32:11

We haven't been on holiday since 1999. I still wouldn't take more than my fair share of food, though.

onceinalifetime Tue 05-Aug-08 17:32:55

Apologies, just realised you are calling word a fuckwit - still wholly inappropriate for a thread like this.

lucyellensmum Tue 05-Aug-08 17:33:49

onceinalifetime - don't go around stealing other peoples badges!!! ask me nicely and i'll give you one of your very own, i was quoting Word. But then ive always had problems with that particular package?

Why am i so angry - cos its tuesday and thats my angry day

Word Tue 05-Aug-08 17:35:11

Actually, yes LEM! Also, I've been told that Cornwall is where all the posh people go, whilst the Med is now ruled by all the buffet-stealing chavs.

Judging by the plummy accents I heard on the beach (not mine) it may be true....

lucyellensmum Tue 05-Aug-08 17:37:03

I stayed in a 4* hotel with DP when i went to switzerland on a conference, so, not only did i bung a couple of croissants into my bag for lunch, i wasn't even paying for it in the first place grin. I think i put on a stone in about a week Everyone did it, but to be fair, most of us were students so thats OK

Libra1975 Tue 05-Aug-08 17:37:31

If you have paid for a B&B, go to the breakfast buffet but don't eat any of the buffet at that point but put it into your handbag to eat at another time - say around noonish, 1pm - is that still stealing?

DrNortherner Tue 05-Aug-08 17:38:26

Hmmm, this is a tricky one. Having worked in hotels and often in the restaurant area I have seen many guests take extra stuff to eat later. Some tried to hde it and stuffed it in hand bags or wrapped in napkins but tbh us staff would always spot it a mile off and snigger at you trying to pretend you are not taking more for later.

I always remember one particular guest who stayed on a regular basis and alwys took rolls, meat, cheese, yoghurts and pastries away for his lunch, he was very open about it. We just accepted it.

They can't stop you really. It's all what you feel comfortable with.

lucyellensmum Tue 05-Aug-08 17:39:06

Padstow is boden on sea don'tyaknow.

Gobbledigook Tue 05-Aug-08 17:41:00

JT took a pastry out from the buffet when we went to Rome - I was like 'god, don't walk out next to me' - har har! stupid really.

lucyellensmum Tue 05-Aug-08 17:41:07

At last a sensible post Dr Northerner. I was quite open about my pilfering, the staff remained friendly with us and i only noticed something dodgy floating on my cappuccino once

DrNortherner Tue 05-Aug-08 17:42:04

Oh and the suggesstion that a hotel calculates how many rolls/grams of cheese per guest per breakfast serving is bollocks I'm afraid - they just fill up when it's running out. And believe you me, even a bog standard 3 star hotel makes a HUGE profit on B&B rates never mind a 5 star one.

If you do do it luverly you won't be the first!

yummymummy1405 Tue 05-Aug-08 17:42:19

haven't read the whole thread but I do this everywhere we stay with breakfast and always have and so do my parents.....incidently dh finds it totally embaressing but we still do it!

Gobbledigook Tue 05-Aug-08 17:43:20

It would be hard to smuggle out enough for 4 though wouldn't it? Eek, I wouldn't like to try but if I saw a big bloater eating tons of food I'd think 'why not'. I barely eat anything at breakfast.

Having said that, I like the 'brunch' idea better - that would take you to tea.

lucyellensmum Tue 05-Aug-08 17:43:48

Word, thankyou for taking my posts in the manner in which they were meant

I would hate to go to one of those all inclusive holidays though, loads of fat tattoo'd women shouting at tyrone and tianna to stuff as much food in as they can, its free you know - NO it ISNT free, you have paid through the nose for your holiday to eat as much lard and cardboard food as you like!

Sorry, had to get that out

notcitrus Tue 05-Aug-08 17:46:15

My parents were the strictest ever when it came to morals and anything that could be construed as stealing, yet always took food away from hotel buffet breakfasts for our lunch.

My mum is tiny and can't eat much, so it must have worked out the same or less as one person with a hearty appetite eating as much as possible in one go. And unlike buffets in restaurants, I've never seen a sign in a hotel saying that taking food away is not permitted.

I always take fruit and yoghurts quite openly away from hotel buffets, and no-one's ever said a word. Sometimes I've put a roll or cake in my handbag, but usually I just stuff myself and then have snacks for lunch - I like going round foreign supermarkets and markets in any case.

Word Tue 05-Aug-08 17:47:07

Worst thing about AI is being tagged like a pigeon. Needless to say I refused, much to the dismay of the hotels concerned (but they accepted it).

FluffyMummy123 Tue 05-Aug-08 17:48:11

Message withdrawn

DrNortherner Tue 05-Aug-08 17:49:26

Lol at Cod

FluffyMummy123 Tue 05-Aug-08 17:49:56

Message withdrawn

FluffyMummy123 Tue 05-Aug-08 17:50:07

Message withdrawn

Sobernow Tue 05-Aug-08 17:51:55

Dr Northerner - I don't think the food calculation idea is total bollocks, tbh. My cousin is manager of a chain of hotels who do just that. That's why I brought it up.

They are trying hard to be green and not waste food, also they try to order from local suppliers so they do estimate how much each guest will eat. And he also hates people who stock up for later, but won't put up signs because it makes the chain look cheap - and he doesn't want the sort of negative publicity Strattons have got on these kind of boards for asking for toileris to be returned.

dittany Tue 05-Aug-08 17:52:24

You could always ask the waiters/waitresses nicely if it's OK to take some stuff to eat later, LJ. They might say yes, you never know. If it's a posh place probably people aren't that bothered about stealing from the buffet.

Sobernow Tue 05-Aug-08 17:55:12

My last contribution - this cousin is so aware of the threat of negative feedback on Tripadvisor that they would never ask a guest not to take food away. They might not prepare your evening meal so carefully, though, IYKWIM.

onceinalifetime Tue 05-Aug-08 17:57:41

Dr Northener - if it's bollocks, how do they go about knowing how much food to order. They don't estimate every 'gram of cheese' but they do work on averages and a fairly structured way of working out profit margins, etc. Maybe they should just work on different margins for Brits abroad hmm.

For me, it's more about behaviour than the hotel's profits. I would have thought that the posher the hotel, the more noticable it is if you start snaffling food away. We're not talking about the odd yoghurt, the OP is asking about lunch for 4 each day. I think it's better to be open - ask about packed lunches and chances are they may make up some rolls from the buffet anyway.

prettybird Tue 05-Aug-08 17:59:54

if it is a 5* resort, how close is the nearest village? A loaf of freshly baked bread will cost pennies - and some nice greek sun ripened tomatoes and some watermelon or peaches and you have a great picnic I lived on that when going round greece iner-railing as an impoversihed student.

That could do for the days when you don't want "brunch".

And remember: you can drink the water from the taps Just buy one bottle and then fill it form the taps and keep it in the fridge.

Greek Gin and/or Metaxa is very cheap - so you can make your own drinks for sundowners.

Blu Tue 05-Aug-08 18:12:43

In have just realised that all my camping supplies of salt, pepper,ketchup and mayo sachets come from various outlets....

And I know someone (an in-law) who took a bedsheet home from hospital.

Word Tue 05-Aug-08 18:15:28

Blu - your relative and their ilk is the reason the rest of us have to endure those bloody awful non-pinchable coathangers. Grrrr.

A hospital sheet? EEEEEEEK!

Blu Tue 05-Aug-08 18:18:59

I am NOT going to defend my in-law....that's why I took care t emphasise that they are not a blood relative.

She has a stock of old British rail cutlery, too.....

Last time I was in hospital with DS another parent was intercepted by nurses stealing pillows off other beds!

Gobbledigook Tue 05-Aug-08 18:22:40

LOL Blu!

Word Tue 05-Aug-08 18:25:09

Quite, Blu. It is totally indefensible. Not to mention bonkers.

batters Tue 05-Aug-08 18:27:38

My dp fogot to change out of the hospital scrubs he wore whilst I had my c section. He got on the bus at 1 am and wondered why people were staring at him.

We also have a stock of hospital cutlery from our old landlord (we bought our first flat including all contents from him).

zippitippitoes Tue 05-Aug-08 18:31:05

my ds seems to be under the impression that if you like starbucks mugs you take them home with you

misdee Tue 05-Aug-08 18:34:07

blush we still have a hospital towel here. it came home with dh when he travelled back one day to cushion his skin under the LVAD.

i just havent got around to getting it back to them. but dh has to go in overnight later this month so will get him to return it.

Blu Tue 05-Aug-08 18:35:00

Snort at Batters DP.
(and not ofr the first time!)

My delinquent and bonkers in-law takes produce and cuttings from plants in National Trust Gardens, too.

batters Tue 05-Aug-08 18:35:44

My friend's dd spent a lot of time at Great Ormond Street Hospital a little while ago and all their children's cutlery, crockery and dvds and videos had been stolen .

batters Tue 05-Aug-08 18:38:40

oh yes, my MIL takes stuff from old buildings, bits of castle and things like that.

Blu Tue 05-Aug-08 18:40:51

yes, all the boxes of good DVDs in the children's ward in King's are empty.

What are people like?

zippitippitoes Tue 05-Aug-08 18:43:16

people volunteer to work for the national trust and then nick plants etc

VanillaPumpkin Tue 05-Aug-08 18:47:28

My parents have metal teaspoons from all the different airlines you can imagine.

I shamelessly walked out of the Hilton breakfast buffet this Sunday with a chocolate muffin for later. It must run in the family.

misdee Tue 05-Aug-08 18:48:59

dd3 takes grapes from buffets to eat later [eeek]

DrNortherner Tue 05-Aug-08 18:50:20

All this stuff about being a posh hotel is making me laugh. Having worked in a 5star london hotel for a while down to a bog standard 3 star the 'posher' guests were teh worst for snaffling all sorts of things from rooms.

Generally when a hotel has guests on a B&B pakage the Chef will get an allowance of for example £5pp for breakfast. Bearing in mind the bulk order (even more buying power for big hotels) it never costs them that much to cater for each individual. Occupancy is forecasted in advance so yes they have an fairly good idea of how many covers to cater for, but it is not an exact science. But on the whole, it is very easy to make a fantastic GP on breakfast even when some guests fill their boots and more!

schneebly Tue 05-Aug-08 18:54:15

I agree with the idea that you should ahve breafast as late as poss and stuff yourself with as much as you can - that is what I would do grin

whooosh Tue 05-Aug-08 19:02:10

Well I would never dream of taking anything for lunch for myself,dd or DP.......have been known to "snaffle ham" for starving four footed creatures though blush

Spink Tue 05-Aug-08 19:06:11

I've only managed to get though about 1/4 of the thread but a bit surprised at how many people are against! what do you think happens to the food that doesn't get eaten at brekkie? The vast majority is binned - mostly just the food sealed in packets will make it back onto the buffet the next day, and (unpeeled) fruit..

If you're worried about the staff having an issue with it, I'd casually say to the head waiter "it's ok if the children take some of their breakfast away with them isn't it?". We've done this before and been encouraged, even given a little basket to take it away with us. The chef at the omelette bar used to make up yummy omelette sandwiches for us!!

barnsleybelle Tue 05-Aug-08 19:15:36

I'm totally with spink on this.

Take as much as you can, for as long as you can get away with it.

Even if they catch you, just look stupid, act innocent and say sorry!

At the end of the day, some folk eat more than others at breakfast so it will even itself out..

GO FOR IT....ABSOLUTELY YANBU AT ALL.

Enjoy!!

kslatts Tue 05-Aug-08 19:23:19

I don't think taking food to eat at lunchtime is any worse than putting loads of food on your plate and then only eating half of it, I wouldn't do it though.

When we are on holiday, especially somewhere hot, we usually have a big breakfast and that keeps us going until dinner time, we might have an icecream during the day.

ScottishMummy Tue 05-Aug-08 19:24:46

op enjoy your holiday.fill your bag,hat,boots, in fact any non-permeable item with grub.

lordy you will be like a mere bread-thieving-croissant-munching-dairy-eating-ham-lovin-common-thief

contributing to decline of values
eroding jobs
driving hoteliers to the wall

Cor

Come on the revolution let them eat cakes (but only if one has paid the full buffet tariff)

i think its a good idea, ssaves on waste too.

well done op have a great time

Sobernow Tue 05-Aug-08 20:23:16

But it's not the Hotels you're ripping off, really, it's the other guests who will have either less available for them to choose from or more to pay to cover extra food buying.

It is a bigger picture thing of not giving a stuff about anyone else, that's why I wouldn't do it.

PuppyMonkey Tue 05-Aug-08 20:26:15

The other guests should get up earlier then.. wink grin

ScottishMummy Tue 05-Aug-08 20:31:55

how is one economising family taking a few items equate to not giving a stuff about others?huge exaggerated extrapolation and a bit mean

crickey!they are merely considering economising to minimise expenditure Not wilfully purposefully inflicting misery/harm on others

calm down
get a sense of perspective

Sobernow Tue 05-Aug-08 20:50:11

We'd moved on from the OPs changed circumstances to discuss the principle, Scottishmummy. I think grabbing whatever you can for yourself does equate to not giving a stuff about others.

apostrophe Tue 05-Aug-08 20:52:25

Message withdrawn

tweeni Tue 05-Aug-08 21:46:48

I've done it before. But you have to but loads on your plate so then they'd have to throw it away anyway so it doesn't matter if you take it with you or not. Or can you ask if you can eat breakfast in your room cos it is easier than getting kids up, washed and dressed to come down for it?

DustyTV Tue 05-Aug-08 21:48:24

TBH I would and DH (then DP) and I have done. I've never found the waiters to have a problem with it.

I'd say to go for it, and have a nice holiday grin

ScottishMummy Tue 05-Aug-08 21:50:07

thanks for that elucidation.principally i am astonished at the alarmist disproportionate responses.

too stark
too concrete
exaggeration of consequences

any other issues involving moral turpitude that need the MN jury?

tweeni Tue 05-Aug-08 22:17:04

where i work has a breakfast buffet. Nothing is thrown away. Cereal is in kellogs variety boxes, yoghurts obv in pots, all fruit has skin on it. We do have tinned grapefruit - not sure if they throw that. I know bread isn't thrown away. juice is in a big dispenser and gets used throughtout the day as does milk.

tweeni Tue 05-Aug-08 22:17:39

oh and the cheese is those little mini prepacked ones, butter, jam, spread etc all in individual pots.

luckylady74 Tue 05-Aug-08 22:29:22

my friend was offered a box by the staff at her 5*hotel in the Maldives as it (croissants and so on) doesn't last - she was a bit peeved that they hadn't thought to do this on the first day!

anotherdayyetanothernickname Tue 05-Aug-08 22:42:33

If the breakfast was actually waiter service rather than a buffet would you ask for a second plateful so you could keep it for lunch? I think not.

Like many others, I think it's fine to take a banana for a child for later but not a full lunch.

Ditto have a late breakfast, then get the kids some fruit/ crisps/ a croissant from the supermarket later on to last them until dinner time.

onceinalifetime Tue 05-Aug-08 22:54:27

DrNortherner, you are clearly referring to me with your comment "All this stuff about being a posh hotel is making me laugh" and I'm not sure what work you did in hotels but clealy budgeting was not part of it from what you said as £5 allocated to breakfast is way out.

I made a perfectly valid and fair comment that it's better to be upfront and honest about what you're doing, rather than sitting there trying to stuff your bag full of food.

I have total sympathy with the OP having booked an expensive holiday and now facing the need to economise but the thought of people booking holidays and trying to squeeze as much out of it as possible by stealing is pretty pathetic.

ScottishMummy Tue 05-Aug-08 22:57:02

hey when y'all finished pondering profligate theft.

do you think about anything more minor
- Proposed anti-terrorism laws to detain suspects for up to 42 day
- Ramifications of new Mental Health Act
- economic crisis

oh you know not so significant compared to this great moral dilemma

Blu Tue 05-Aug-08 23:47:51

WScottishMummy - but those topics are serious.

This thread (now that the OP has made up her mind - and to a certain extent before that) is sport.

That's what you don't seem to be getting.

squilly Wed 06-Aug-08 08:02:52

Yes Blu. It's like fox hunting. And the so called 'chavs' amongst us are just waiting for the hounds.

I really don't see what the big fuss is about here. It's no big deal in my book but some of the reactions have been a little draconian imo to say the least.

Theft, corruption, erosion of moral standards? I thought we were talking about a few bread rolls and a slice or two of ham. Better get the axes out and start drawing the lines on people's wrists now!

ggglimpopo Wed 06-Aug-08 08:09:15

I love the story about one person getting the buffet and then feeding it to the rest of the table.

When we were in Corfu last year, it was the generally the Brit families doing this - piling their plates sky high because it "was all free" and leaving two thirds of it or letting the kids chuck it round the table and leaving behind a scene of huge waste and devastation, then filling their bags up with the bread, meats, cheeses and fruits quite blatantly before leaving the restaurant at breakfast.

Vulgar to the nth degree, apart from wasteful and dishonest, in my honest, and non-snobbish opinion. wink

unknownrebelbang Wed 06-Aug-08 08:25:57

I think taking a piece of fruit or the odd bread roll, especially for a child, would be ok.

Aside from whether or not it's acceptable, why would someone want to risk food poisoning?

Fruit would be ok.
Bread rolls would be ok, if a little dry by lunchtime.

Ham/Cheese, been sat around in the kitchen/on the buffet for half the morning? Then stuffed in a bag? Then kept in the heat until you're ready to eat? No thanks.

carmenelectra Wed 06-Aug-08 08:37:07

Dont see the problem and no way is it stealing or sending out the wrong message! God, some people!

However, i wouldnt want to look like a tramp by taking loads like i was some kind of greedy pig! I agree with those who say though that you never get your moneys worth anyway.Unless you are a complete gannet.

On holiday i always take meat for the cats and at our hotel last year there was a zoo and i took friut and bread for the monkeys and camels etc.

Noone ever said a wordsmile

pointydog Wed 06-Aug-08 09:02:33

A zoo in a hotel? That does sound grim

cthea Wed 06-Aug-08 09:09:38

Only read the OP but I wouldn't do it. Pick up a fruit on the way out? Yes. Pack up a whole picnic bascket? No.

dinny Wed 06-Aug-08 09:21:35

we're just back from a 5-star all-inc resort and you weren't allowed to take food from the breakfast buffet, even though food available at beach bars and other eateries all day. A group of Germans tried to take breakast stuff out of dining room and were politely stopped by (INCREDIBLY FIT) duty manager type bloke

so I'd say no

carmenelectra Wed 06-Aug-08 09:32:43

The animals didnt actually live in the hotel, they had their own areagrin

DaphneMoon Wed 06-Aug-08 09:47:58

Once when we were in Majorca, my DS was only about 3 and night after night he kept falling asleep at the dinner table (he even fell off his chair and was caught by a young waiter as he walked by). I took some food with us, but stopped at the entrance to the restaurant and showed it to the Manager and explained that my DS would go hungry. He was fine about it, although I didn't like doing it.

ladymariner Wed 06-Aug-08 09:50:22

You'd have thought the monkeys lived in the dining area at our all-inc in Menorca one year, carmen, it was like the chimps tea-party!!! We were trying to teach ds table manners and all around him was total chaos. After that we learnt to go later for our meals after the "obviously very hungry people, darling" had gone for theirs!!!

carmenelectra Wed 06-Aug-08 09:52:09

I did that earlier this year daphne.

We went Tunisia in May and our ds fell asleep at dinner. I put some dinner in a bowl for when he woke and our waiter put clingfilm over it for us to keep it warm or so we could microwave it.

We were all inclusive so not supposed to take food out.

Its not as though you are clearing the buffet table is it?

carmenelectra Wed 06-Aug-08 09:54:14

Ladymariner, we had very hungry people queing for dinner to open this year in our hotel in Tunisia! I wouldnt mind but it was All inclusive so there were snacks available all day!!

Theses were the peopple who literally ate non stop all daysmile

carmenelectra Wed 06-Aug-08 09:54:29

queuing!

DaphneMoon Wed 06-Aug-08 09:55:42

That was really nice of them to do that Carmen. Kids have a busy day and lots of them just cannot keep awake for the evening meal which TBH is often later than we would all normally eat. We are going all inclusive on Sunday to Turkey, but DS is 8 now so I will probably have a job GETTING him to go to sleep! grin

DaphneMoon Wed 06-Aug-08 09:57:45

I too will be eating all day, i've paid a lot for this holiday and I am darn well going to enjoy it! grin I'm starving myself this week to lose a few pounds with the intention of putting it back on!

carmenelectra Wed 06-Aug-08 09:57:57

Oh we are going to Turkey on fRIDAY!

OUR DS1 is 9 and he would like to stay up till about 130am he said[smile}

Ds2 will fall asleep in buggy hopefully while i enjoy my cocktails!

carmenelectra Wed 06-Aug-08 09:58:46

well you have to get your moneys worth with the ALL INC daphne!

belgo Wed 06-Aug-08 09:58:56

Is this still going? It seems to have created at far bigger reaction then that thread about rich people not paying taxes!

ladymariner Wed 06-Aug-08 10:04:16

They were probably the same people, carmen. It was unbelievable, They would haunt the snack bar by the side of the pool, be queueing up outside the restaurant at mealtimes, then still be back in the restaurant later on when they laid snacks on for when the entertainment finished shock
And their table manners (to use the description very lightly!!!) were non-existant. We ended up just laughing at them because if you didn't you have got really angry. They piled plates up and left it all, they never moved any plates either but still went and got more food so they just plonked the old plates still with food on them on top of each other so it got all squashed and oozed out the sides.....yeuch!!!!

However the piece de resistance was the night one of the Family Von Fat went to the dessert counter and lifted the entire glass dish of profiteroles out and put it on their table!!!!! The whole lot! Everyone just sort of gaped at him and watched as he and his litter picked off what they wanted with their hooves and then left the dish there for rhe waiter to clear away!!!!!!

ladymariner Wed 06-Aug-08 10:05:09

we're going to Turkey on the 24th!! grin

onceinalifetime Wed 06-Aug-08 10:05:37

pmsl at Family Von Fat!

onceinalifetime Wed 06-Aug-08 10:05:55

and 'obviously very hungry'

carmenelectra Wed 06-Aug-08 10:06:21

Oh my life, the whole dessert bowl!lol

I dont think the OP has anything to worry about do you?

carmenelectra Wed 06-Aug-08 10:07:21

Turkey is obviously the place to be this year!

Where is everyone going?

We are going to Olu Deniz. Its lovely, we have been many times.

ladymariner Wed 06-Aug-08 10:09:24

It's not the getting your moneys worth that bothers me cos I do that!! It's the sheer greed and monstrosity of some people that yucks me!

We're going half board so we always have a massive breakfast so we don't want any lunch, then have dinner at night. But I always eat whats on my plate, hence why I'm at Slimming World at moment grin grin

ladymariner Wed 06-Aug-08 10:10:58

We've never been to Turkey before but we've only heard good things about it. We're going to Gumbet. and i can't wait grin

DaphneMoon Wed 06-Aug-08 10:12:04

We are going to Gundagan about 19km from Bodrun (these might be spelt wrong). Never been to Turkey before. Hotel is 5 star and I have not found a bad review on it yet! My Nephew has just come back from Olu Deniz, said it was unbelievably hot. I am a bit worried about that, with DS etc I must have spent half an hour last week staring at all the sun creams on the shelf, think I have bought every factor from 50 downwards!

carmenelectra Wed 06-Aug-08 10:12:22

We dont waste stuff either, in fact i would say we dont really get our moneys worth with all inc(except with the alcohol!!) i dont even pile my plate up really. Dp and ds1 usually have a couple of plates of dinner and try a bit of everything but we are not wasteful. Ds2 chucks loads out of highchair but i always clean up and wipe the chair down after!

carmenelectra Wed 06-Aug-08 10:14:41

Turkey is fab!

It will about 40 degrees in Aug, unbelievably hot!

I have been to Bodrum and Gumbet also, not heard of Gundagen? Must look it up!

The food is lovely and so are the people!

carmenelectra Wed 06-Aug-08 10:15:39

Daphne, i too, buy every factor suncream from F2 to f50!

ladymariner Wed 06-Aug-08 10:16:00

we went to Crete last year and it was scorching, luckily dh is a bit of a witterpelts where suncream is concerned so I'd stocked up on the factor 50 and we needed it. Well, he and ds did, I was ok on the factor 30 then down through the holiday!
The one thing I didn't buy was lipscreen and boy, did I wish I had. I had some nivea stuff but it didn't protect my lips and they all cracked and bled, (very attractive hmm) and I ended up at the pharmacy buying some stuff to put on them. This year I've got some total sunblock for them, I'll look like Shane Warne in a bikini but at least they won't hurt!!! grin

DaphneMoon Wed 06-Aug-08 10:19:44

MY DP has assured me that although the air temp will be hot the strength of the sun will be weaker than in June, sounds odd, but he is quite brainy so I believe him. Still will be piling on the sun cream though. grin Hotel is Baia Bodrum, at Gundogan (spelt correctly now!) Small bay near Bodrum

DaphneMoon Wed 06-Aug-08 10:21:50

I have bought sun block for my nose, it is on the large side and always burns first, my friend once kindly said it was cause it was closer to the sun (she was not laughing when she said it!). My nose once got tiny blisters on it as it was so burnt.

tweeni Wed 06-Aug-08 10:30:51

Factor 30 will be plenty. The higher factors are actually hardly any more effective (affective??) and in australia you can't buy higher than 30 for this reason.

ladymariner Wed 06-Aug-08 10:33:13

That's interesting, tweeni, I thought the higher the factor the higher the protection.

tweeni Wed 06-Aug-08 10:34:40

btw what hotels are you all going to in turkey. thinking of going september.

dinny Wed 06-Aug-08 10:35:28

We're just back from mainland Greece - boiling hot!

Went all-inc - amazing but I am on the wagon as pg so didn't get money's worth, plus MS meant had hardly an appetite - TYPICAL!

TheDevilWearsPrimark Wed 06-Aug-08 10:38:20

This reminds me of Quaglinos 'ashtray amnesty'

Apparently 25'000 went missing.

They are lovely though, Conran and everything.

(discreetly shoves it to the back of her cupboard)

hanaflower Wed 06-Aug-08 10:38:32

The factor is a multiplier. So if you burn in 10 minutes without anything, SPF 30 will give you 30*10 = 300 minutes before you burn. The problem is that after 300 minutes the cream will probably have rubbed off or the chemicals broken down in the sun, so it can be misleading.

They have just changed the labelling regs in Europe so that UVA protection is considered too, which is great. The numbers on the bottle only concern UVB protection. This stops you burning (think B for burning), but UVA is still dangerous (it's what sunbeds emit), and can cause sun aging and skin cancer too. So it's worth checking the UVA rating on the suncream, particularly if buying abroad.

DaphneMoon Wed 06-Aug-08 10:38:53

I didn't know that Tweenie about the factors. Wish I had known that a few days ago when I spent a small fortune on various different creams. My hotel is Baia Bodrum.

tweeni Wed 06-Aug-08 10:40:20

"Factor 15, only 7% of the harmful UVB rays will get through
Factor 30, only 4% of the harmful UVB rays will get through
Factor 60, only 2% of the harmful UVB rays will get through
So you can see, you are getting some more protection with the most expensive creams, but not that much more. There is no sun cream that can give you total protection. 98% protection (with factor 60) is about the best you will get."

some more info

DaphneMoon Wed 06-Aug-08 10:41:41

LOL the Devil. Also loving your name, best one i've seen for a long time!

TheDevilWearsPrimark Wed 06-Aug-08 10:43:36

I was also once behind a lady in Sainsburys and she had about ten plastic bags around every individual bit of fruit/veg. She then emptied the entire dispenser of carrier bags and put them in her trolley.

DaphneMoon Wed 06-Aug-08 10:46:04

Wonder what she was going to do with the bags, the mind boggles!! To me that is definately stealing.

friend of friends mother used them for nappy sacks!

what happend with M&S Devil?

ladymariner Wed 06-Aug-08 10:54:23

I use them for pedal-bin liners. Don't take more than I need, though!

TheDevilWearsPrimark Wed 06-Aug-08 10:54:40

They gave me my money back on Saturday, but didn't apologise. I've written a complaint.

Sobernow Wed 06-Aug-08 11:03:18

Scottishmummy is right. I do not care at all about the economy, or the environment or anything else affecting society or the planet.

I have realised that hotel catering on overseas holidays is my only area of concern.

I'm grateful to the OP for allowing me to vent my spleen on this issue and am humbled by Scottishmummy's generous advice that I may wish to become irrationally opinionated in other matters.

['naughty sobernow' emoticon]

tweeni Wed 06-Aug-08 11:05:08

DWP - what happened?

ScottishMummy Wed 06-Aug-08 11:12:07

ok so y'all ready to put down pitchforks, musings about theft from buffet cart.Whats next then?

ladymariner Wed 06-Aug-08 11:18:27

Holidays grin Hurrah!!!!!!!!!

mm22bys Wed 06-Aug-08 11:18:59

Have to admit that when we travelled round Europe 10 years ago on a very devalued-currency, we did do this a couple of times. We didn't get caught, but there were only two of us. It was very embarrassing.

I agree with the others about it being possible to buy lunch cheaply when you're away. Bread is still reasonably cheap, and sitting under the shade by the beach with fresh bread and yummy local cheese can be a lot nicer and so much less stressful than trying to get lunch in a hot crowded taverna...

Lucky you going away!

TheDevilWearsPrimark Wed 06-Aug-08 11:23:00

tweeni my op is here

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/1375/578689

Feckers.

ScottishMummy Wed 06-Aug-08 11:23:02

Taorminain sicily is wonderful. all walkable and cable car to beach.love it

MABS Wed 06-Aug-08 20:46:56

goin to middle east fri eve, it will be at least 45 degs!

MsDemeanor Wed 06-Aug-08 21:16:13

Love the idea of two breakfasts - one when the kids get up, the other two hours later after swimming etc. Brilliant idea.
Take a few bananas and buy a supercheap picnic lunch from a shop and the odd taverna lunch. Greece is so cheap, and Crete is so lovely I am very envy

ladymariner Thu 07-Aug-08 09:08:01

We went to Crete last year, I absolutely loved it. We hired a car for 3 days and drove up into the mountains, it was so beautiful and all these little villages tucked away off the beaten track were amazing. And Spinalonga.....what can I say??? Fantastic and soooo emotional!

DaphneMoon Thu 07-Aug-08 09:52:26

This has turned into a Travel show! grin Nice to hear about other places. It will be photo's next grin

squilly Thu 07-Aug-08 11:48:27

Can't do photos, but agree. It's turned into Travel Show and how lovely is that? So much better than Crime & Punishment...though it's getting so long, it could be lumped in with War and Peace if it's not careful!

We went to Crete when dd was 16 months old and it was just the nicest place. We must go back one of these days. And I won't be taking breakfast from the buffet for lunch, cos we don't stay in hotels. That way, I can control my chav-like urges to steal buffet food thus maintaining world order

jellybrain Thu 07-Aug-08 16:20:15

Have a late breakfast on your first day - remark casually about all the left over food and ask what they do with it- if it gets thrown in the bin suggest that you could take it off their hands. Don't need to say you're skint just that it means that the kids can stay all day on the beach and you won't need to stop the fun to go and buy more food (but only if you feel the need to explain yourself. Perhaps you could offer a small payment.
I went on holiday to Thailand with DH before we were married and we ran out of money so, lived on boiled rice which we generously splashed with some lovely spicy sauce and rum(cheaper than coke or water ). Some kind and lovely fellow travellers took pity on us and bought as bread and biscuits from the supermarket. I also stayed up all one night waiting for everyone to leave the bar so I could pick a coconut then realised that the stray dog sitting by tree was infact a small bush! We also ran away in the early hours of our last day leaving a bill for 3 days of £4.50 - o the shame of itblush.
Went to put dhs trousers in the wash when we got home and found 800 baht in his pocket GRRR

O happy days grin

Another thing that might be worth bearing in mind - if you are planning on eating out later that day is that food is often cheaper if you eat out at lunchtime and if you eat about 2pm I never want more than a piece of fruit in the evening.

blithedance Fri 08-Aug-08 22:57:28

Well to the OP and ensuing discussion, I have relatives who own a small hotel and the main complaint when clearing up after breakfast is about the people whom they have noticed "discreetly" stocking up their pockets from the buffet for their lunch.

Whatever you choose to do , be sure it doesn't go unnoticed, even if the management are too polite to mention it.

pudding25 Sat 09-Aug-08 12:59:13

I have always taken food from buffets -I thought everyone did! An extra bread roll, bit of cheese and a banana - which you could have eaten for breakfast anyway - and which would probably go stale if left - can't see what the problem is.Ok, maybe if you take out a big plastic bag and fill it to the brim...
However, going to the supermarket would be more fun, less stress and cheap.

CilC Sat 09-Aug-08 21:58:39

I too always take extra fruit and sometimes I also make up little rolls with cheese and ham for DD. Have only done thid at these five star all you can eat breakfast buffets and staff have seen me do it and no has ever commented on it. If they did I would say my LO did not eat much so I am taking it with me...like a doggy bag.
I too thought everyone did it. I do not feel any stress or concern doing this...So many five star hotels now have those fridges where if you move anything in side of them you get charged and they have no room for you to store your own items.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now