AIBU to think its wrong for a group of 14 year old boys and girls to be camping out unsupervised.

(138 Posts)
abouteve Tue 29-Jul-08 21:44:59

Ok so its not my problem, thank god but DD has said that some of her class mates are camping out on the hills at 14. I'm glad she didnt ask as I wouldn't let her do this. IABU

TheProvincialLady Tue 29-Jul-08 21:46:07

Very inadvisable. Very. I can't tell you how inadvisable I think this is or I would probably exceed the national inadvisable limit.

abouteve Tue 29-Jul-08 21:47:48

Glad you agree. God knows what they are telling their parents but its going on. One dad who is my friend thinks its OK hmm

SazzlesA Tue 29-Jul-08 21:48:39

Message withdrawn

SazzlesA Tue 29-Jul-08 21:49:57

Message withdrawn

Leek Tue 29-Jul-08 21:50:36

Depends which hills, and what the 14 year olds are like. It's quite normal to me, we used to do it often, and don't remember any of the parents having any issues. What are you thinking might happen to the group that they couldn't deal with?

sallystrawberry Tue 29-Jul-08 21:50:40

I wouldn't let my 14 year old ds, although I would offer to take him and friends camping

this is the type of thing I did at 15 without telling my parents, I would have told them I was "staying at a friends house" hmm

ravenAK Tue 29-Jul-08 21:53:09

Are you worried about them being at risk from the elements or from each other?

I'd be OK if it was in a field next to someone's house, sort of thing. Not if it was somewhere remote.

Kbear Tue 29-Jul-08 21:54:07

PMSL at exceeding the national inadvisable limit!!

Yes, inadvisable I would say, deffo.

Although, yes, I would have probably done the same thing as strawb when I was a yoof!

whatdayisit Tue 29-Jul-08 21:54:33

I went camping with Venture Scouts/Rangers at that age. There were probably slightly older teenagers too and we'd all been brought up in guides etc, so had reasonable survival skills, but TBH we could have got into much more trouble hanging out at the local shopping centre. Guess it depends, who the children are, exactly where they're going (ie how remote) and what experience/ kit they have.

Some of the best times of my adolescence were innocent(ish) fun with Venture Scouts!

abouteve Tue 29-Jul-08 21:54:40

There is not problem with where they are camping it just up the hills nearby and most are DofE trained. I just think 14 is too young and wouldn't trust them. It's like letting a group of 14 year olds have a sleepover unsupervised to me.

WilfSell Tue 29-Jul-08 21:54:56

I did it, just me and a mate when we were 14 or 15. Different times then though.

AbbeyA Tue 29-Jul-08 21:55:47

My son did it with a small group as a Venture Scout but they were on an expedition on Dartmoor-only supervised at a distance. I think that is a bit different.
It would depend entirely on the group in question.

WilfSell Tue 29-Jul-08 21:55:51

At 14 I also spent a lot of time drinking Cinzano in nightclubs. Not that that was a good idea but by that age, some of em are 'older' aren't they?

AbbeyA Tue 29-Jul-08 21:57:22

It was a mixed group of Venture Scouts.

Quattrocento Tue 29-Jul-08 21:57:32

So erm, what's the issue? Sex drugs and rock n roll? Or them getting lost and being useless? I think all of those things are possible and in fact inevitable for most teenagers so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

ravenAK Tue 29-Jul-08 21:57:50

It sounds like quite a tame way to earn a little trust to me.

If it were my children I suppose I'd have a word about not overdoing the Diamond White.

Dalrymps Tue 29-Jul-08 21:58:18

YANBU

abouteve Tue 29-Jul-08 21:58:42

No problem to me re the elements/survival. I'd be concerned about the risks of hormones/let loose feeling. They are nice kids but even so. Thank go DD doesn't want to go but I would say no to this if she asked. Even though I'm fairly liberal.

I'm remembering my yoof too and no no no!

MsPontipine Tue 29-Jul-08 21:59:36

Are they The Famous Five?

Quattrocento Tue 29-Jul-08 22:01:14

I think Eve is worried about the Comic Strip version of the Famous Five - The Famous Five Go Mad on Mescalin wasn't it?

depends where they are. are they at risk of anything worse than getting cold and wet, really?
if not, no harm.

Oh come on!

They will be pissed and having thier first (or maybe not) shags!

swiftyknickers Tue 29-Jul-08 22:02:38

they'll all be shagging on acid grin

bluefox Tue 29-Jul-08 22:02:44

DD and friend went youth hostelling on the other side of the country (involved 3 train journeys) just after 14th birthday so camping up a nearby hill sounds ok to me. But as others have said it depends on the children involved and how sensible/mature they are.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now