To be furious that a cashier at supermarket told me off for DD eating a bite of an apple...

(665 Posts)
pavlovthecat Sun 01-Jun-08 14:19:11

... which I paid for?

Apparently, it is paid for by weight, so could I not let her do it in future? No please. Nothing else.

She is 23 months old. So charge me the extra f**king half pence then tosser!!!

It came to 21p. She had taken two 23 month old sized bites. Which is why I was buying it in the first place!

angry angry

pavlovthecat Sun 01-Jun-08 14:34:49

HoBo - finally!

Duchese - I am not sure if you read any of my posts since the opening post. I did not give her the apple!

You are talking about eating grapes/apples as you go along, the odd one here and there before paying for the rest.

I am talking about a toddler that in error took a bite of something, who did not know not to do it, as its come up as an issue before, which was taken off her, and paid for.

FrannyandZooey Sun 01-Jun-08 14:35:05

this thread is bonkers
as if there aren't loads of 2 year olds who are going to just help themselves without really understanding it is wrong
pavlov stopped her as soon as she saw what happened and paid for it - big deal
I commend you on your dd's taste for healthy eating

misdee Sun 01-Jun-08 14:35:29

kimi we have also done that. now dd3 is bigger she holds onto her reciept for grapes as she mucnhes them round the shop.

pavlovthecat Sun 01-Jun-08 14:35:44

The Theft Act 1968 Section1 (1) states that a person is guilty of theft if: he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it.

Clear enough?

findtheriver Sun 01-Jun-08 14:36:08

Yikes, bit young to be talking about the law innit??
But most two year olds have a good grasp of what's right and wrong in a straightforward situation like that. Explain to your dd that you don't eat any food until you've gone through the check out.

bellavita Sun 01-Jun-08 14:36:23

If I had been that cashier, I would have just let you have it.

When I worked for ASDA, you had a certain amount of discretion. Could be for seeing a child helping mum/dad at the checkout and you could let them choose some sweets (or a piece of fruit),or if you saw a child that was unhappy about somehing or any other reason really. We had smiley face books - cashier just filled it in with the reason and put it in the till and then that money could be accounted for.

Bellavita let Joey have 50p worth of sweets today as he had a gorgeous smile.

onepieceoflollipop Sun 01-Jun-08 14:36:27

I guess they have to uphold the "rules" otherwise someone like me might eat a load of luxury pick and mix chocolates and take the wrappers to be weighed. grin

It does seem silly in a way as it is such a tiny amount of apple BUT it is the principle really.

If she "told you off" rather than pointing it out politely then she was wrong in her manner, but not in the point she was making imo.

FrannyandZooey Sun 01-Jun-08 14:36:32

I am pretty sure the age of criminal responsibility has not been lowered to 23 months
I think you will just about get away with it this time pavlov

shreksmissus Sun 01-Jun-08 14:36:59

Message withdrawn

duchesse Sun 01-Jun-08 14:38:02

pavlov- I know you didn't give her the apple. It is still theft. Just because she is 1 does not mean that the act- removing food without paying and without consent- is not theft. The fact that she is waaaay below the age of criminal responsibility is neither here nor there. It is the act that constitutes the theft, not the age of the perpetrator.

Of course you did the right by removing and paying for the apple, and I think the cashier was being a jobsworth, but it is still theft.

shreksmissus Sun 01-Jun-08 14:38:10

Message withdrawn

misdee Sun 01-Jun-08 14:38:37

oh bellavita, i remember that thing in asda. dd1 once dropped her dummy at the customer service desk as i was dealing with soemthing, a member of staff went to the baby section and gave us one of those dummy clips, and then wrote down all the details in a book. i liek a good freebie.

nannynick Sun 01-Jun-08 14:39:06

Surely the 'meeter greeter' at supermarkets should be handing out FREE fresh fruit/veg to children to nibble on as they go around the store. Would help the store to feel they are contributing something to 5-a-day.

AbbeyA Sun 01-Jun-08 14:40:02

The cashier should have realised that OP was doing the right thing and been friendly-pavlovthecat could just have put it back on the shelf!!

pavlovthecat Sun 01-Jun-08 14:40:34

duchess in case you did not see my post above - The Theft Act 1968 Section1 (1) states that a person is guilty of theft if: he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it.

So, as she did not take it dishonestly, and as I paid for it as soon as I noticed she had taken the bites out of it. It is not theft.

alicet Sun 01-Jun-08 14:41:25

I don't think many people are saying pavlov is unreasonable for what happened. I certainly am not. I think she did exactly what any responsible person would have done in the same situation and couldn't have done more.

I think the cashier was probably a bit of a jobsworth but I think at the end of the day she was only doing her job. Albeit a bit to the letter without any application of common sense.

I just think pavlov is over reacting a teeny tiny bit to be this cross over it!

duchesse Sun 01-Jun-08 14:41:45

Actually, I think she might be found not guilty under the Act's definitions of "dishonesty" in paragraph 2. If she, in her sweet little 1 yr old way, believed that the nice shop lady would let her have the apple, then she does not fall into the definition of dishonesty...

Dishonestly’
(1)
A person’s appropriation of property belonging to another is not to be regarded as
dishonest-
(a)
if he appropriates the property in the belief that he has in law the right to
deprive the other of it, on behalf of himself or of a third person; or
(b)
if he appropriates the property in the belief that he would have the other’s
consent if the other knew of the appropriation and the circumstances of it; or
(c)
(except where the property came to him as trustee or personal representa-
tive) if he appropriates the property in the belief that the person to whom the
property belongs cannot be discovered by taking reasonable steps.
(2)
A person’s appropriation of property belonging to another may be dishonest
notwithstanding that he is willing to pay for the property.

pavlovthecat Sun 01-Jun-08 14:42:38

I am surprised, although should not be, at how many people dont bother to read any of the other posts before posting their sanctimonous shite opinions!

Clearly my willfully thieving child should be carted off to jail.

Obviously taking the apple of her, and telling her 'you cant eat this until we have paid for it poppit' is not harsh enough!

duchesse Sun 01-Jun-08 14:43:35

Although a good prosecution lawyer might get her on point 2 (2)- it may still be dishonesty even if she were willing to pay for the apple.

wink

shreksmissus Sun 01-Jun-08 14:43:43

Message withdrawn

unknownrebelbang Sun 01-Jun-08 14:43:56

She was rude.

You're over-reacting.

imvho.

duchesse Sun 01-Jun-08 14:44:19

pavlov- why start an AIBU thread without first donning full protective clothing?

DirtySexyMummy Sun 01-Jun-08 14:44:41

Hmm.. I think to be 'furious' is a slight over-reaction, fair enough she was being slightly jobsworthy, but she was only stating a fact, maybe so you wouldn't do it in future.

And, with all due respect, whether you gave your DD the apple or not is irrelevant. You are responsible for her and she should not have been unsupervised long enough to take it and eat it.

I can, however, understnad why you would think this is silly, but to be furious? hmm I wouldn't even care.

alicet Sun 01-Jun-08 14:44:45

unknownrebelbang exactly what I wanted to say in slightly more sccinct way!!! grin

duchesse Sun 01-Jun-08 14:45:41

And if your are referring to me in your previous rude post, pavlov- Yes, I have read the entire thread. Just don't expect me to agree entirely with you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now