to be planning a letter of complaint to the PTFA for poisoning my children at the Christmas fair?

(343 Posts)
Mincepiedermama Sun 09-Dec-07 12:52:18

Why does it have to be so packed with sugar? After the fair at the juniors my nearly three year old was sick several times in the night because someone gave him those disgusting sugar walking sticks.

At the Infants fair yesterday I gave my kids pocket money and sent them off browsing reminding them about the sugar poisoning incident so ds3 decided to go for the lucky dip. He pulled out a handbag which I thought was great. I later discovered it was FULL of lollies FGS!

I can;'t watch them all every minute of the Christmas Fair because it's one of the places they should be given freedom to roam. Also I was running a stall.

I love school fairs but the sugar thing really ruins them for me and poisons my kids. Why are people so obsessed with sugar for kids?

I have many years to go at these schools so am thinking of writing or talking to the PTFA people about capping the amount of sugar available at these events. Is that reasonable?

Now if you'll excuse me I have to put some more vomitty bedding in the washing machine. angry

CrushWithEyeliner Sun 09-Dec-07 12:57:25

It's Christmas, a little indulging never killed anyone really. I am sorry that your LO was sick but maybe you needed to monitor what he was eating - I do think he could have just as easily got sick from an organic ginger flapjack grin

Sorry but I thing YAB abit U here..as long as it's not every day of the year, it's sugar, not poison.

Weegle Sun 09-Dec-07 12:59:02

Poison??

You lost me at that point

TotalChaos Sun 09-Dec-07 12:59:31

apologies if i've got the wrong person, but if you are who I think you are, one of your children is diabetic, so I'ld have thought you had very good reason to complain about lack of decent alternatives to suggary prizes etc.

smeeinachristmastreeinnit Sun 09-Dec-07 13:00:32

hmm could have been anything that made him sick hmm

tbh i think the PTFA would not do alot about it,why spoil the fun for all the other kids who are allowed to indulge at xmas because of one parent? hmm

imo YABU.

BrandyButterGalore Sun 09-Dec-07 13:00:53

sounds a bit like your dc have a particularly strong reaction to sugar. doesnt seem to affect mine that way.

you can ask about it, sure, but sweets generally arent that bad for most kids and it is christmas

smile

Saturn74 Sun 09-Dec-07 13:01:47

Sorry your DS was poorly. sad
I think if you want to monitor what happens at these events, you'll have to volunteer to be on the PTFA committee. smile

camillathechicken Sun 09-Dec-07 13:02:51

are you sure it was the sugar? sounds like a virulent reaction

if your child has a food allergy/ intolerance, surely you need to make sure they don;t eat that food, until they are old enough to refuse it or look for an alternative?

agree there should be alternatives to sugary stuff, but 99 % of parents would probably be fine with their DCs having sugar

sorry you are having a horrible time with pukey children

islandofsodor Sun 09-Dec-07 13:03:21

YABU unless there is a medical reason why your child shouldn;t have sugar in which case the school should have made sure that their needs were catered for.

However if there is a medical problem such as diabetes then you should either suypervise them more closeley or make sure they understand they can't have stuff.

There is a little girl in my dd's class at school who is on a special diet. At parties etc her mum takes her own stuff and party bag prizes she knows to give to her mum who excannegs them for something she can eat. This girl is aged 6.

However my 3 year old ds does not understand that artificial sweeteners (sugar free juice etc) makes him ill so I have to watch him like a hawk.

good, is sugar poison then ? I should be long dead...

MrsWeasleysmagicmincepies Sun 09-Dec-07 13:04:41

a friend's DC has alergies so she monitors what they win and removes or swaps things if nessecary.

It a bit strong to blame to PTFA because your child over indulged IMHO!

MrsWeasleysmagicmincepies Sun 09-Dec-07 13:05:44

"it's" even

Curmudgeonlett Sun 09-Dec-07 13:08:07

it's your job to watch your children until they are old enough to deal with things like this

not the PTAs' responsibility or fault

I served a 5 year old with a nut allergy at the school fair .. first question was is anything nut free? .. his mother came up right behind him

if your children are allergic to over-indulgence in sugar and it creates such a reaction then you simply cannot say a fair is for them to run free ..

and if you want alternatives in place then you should be involved in the planning and creating of the event and not just attend it

so yes YANBU

DingDongJeremyOnVile Sun 09-Dec-07 13:09:36

Curmudgeonlett grin

Are you sure?

Curmudgeonlett Sun 09-Dec-07 13:10:29

yeah jeremy I'm pretty sure grin

oh sorry spidermama saw that you did run a stall .. were you involved in the planning too then?

TinyTimLivesinVictorianSqualor Sun 09-Dec-07 13:15:55

Sorry, but it's your child, therefore your responsibilty to watch what they're eating.
Would you expect someone to cater differently for a birthday party because your DC's were going?
Sweet things are fine for most children in moderation.
I understand not watching kids all the time, but you said your DS was nearly 3??? Any child of that age will eat sweets if given them, and most peopel that see a child at a xmas fair wandering around would think that as they are not being followed by a parent worried about what they are eating then they would be fine with sugar.

seeker Sun 09-Dec-07 13:19:51

I really do not believe that a child was sick three times in the night because someone gave him a sugar walking stick. Unless, possibly, if it was life sized!

lljkk Sun 09-Dec-07 13:25:09

ER, I can't imagine how your 3yo got so much, did he really wonder off on his own? Our head would have firmly brought my 3yo DS back (with loads of tut-tutting at me personally) if I had let him go like that. I can't imagine handing him his own money or letting him wander off unobserved at the Fayre. He'd raid every sweet jar en route, little monkey.

I agree it's an annoying sugar fest, but I ration what they're allowed at the time and confiscate the rest to go into the general sweets stockpile at home.

That said, YANBU to write a polite letter and start a campaign about not having too much sugar as prizes -- but do leave the 'poison' word out. For prizes they could instead offer pencils, stickers, pretty shells, little notebooks or tokens for experiences like extra playtime the next school day.

Blandmum Sun 09-Dec-07 13:25:13

My kids have never vomited after sugar.

More likely to be a virus?

sorry , but I do feel you would be going over the top to complain to them. If you don't want your kds to eat sweets, don't let them.

and sugar isn't a poison, unless you are diabetic, and even then it isn't a poison smile

We all used sugar every second of every day.

If you feel very strongly, get on the comitee and see what you can do to change the next one.

Curmudgeonlett Sun 09-Dec-07 13:29:55

Bugger, I said YANBU didn't I? That was why Jeremy was laughing at me wasn't it? blush grin

Patently I meant YABU

juuule Sun 09-Dec-07 16:28:44

Sugar poisoninghmm
You want them to cap the amount of sugar available at the fairhmm
You are joking aren't you? You've not posted this seriously.
Hope you children have recovered, now, and you don't get any more vomitty bedding. Hate that. Especially when you have to rinse the solids off in the bath first. Uuuurgh

NAB3littlemonkeys Sun 09-Dec-07 16:33:28

My 5 year old was sick after eating some of my birthday cake and while I won't buy that cake again, I wouldn't write to Tesco the shop to complain.

unknownrebelbang Sun 09-Dec-07 16:35:51

Sorry to hear DS3 was poorly, but I think YABU.

Does sound more like a bug than because of the walking stick, but obviously you know your own child.

ColdPenguin Sun 09-Dec-07 16:36:37

Looks like you lost that one then, mince pie.

YuleLoveHekateAtSolstice Sun 09-Dec-07 16:38:40

If you don't want your child to eat something, you take it off them and tell them no.

My little buggers will quickly cram as much as they can into their mouths before I (mummymeaniecowbag wink)
come along and take it away from them! So I know I have to be watchful.

So be on top of them, and take it off them if you have to.

We all need eyes in our arses, don't we?!! grin

frothykindofadrink Sun 09-Dec-07 16:38:49

your son was sick because of a sugar walking stick? a couple of sweets are hardly overindulgence imo - are you sure that's what caused it?

anyhow how are they going to cap the amount of sugar?

will there be ration cards handed out to every child? or will there a very small pile to be thrown down the throats of the first 10 children in the door leaving the rest to nibble on wholemeal crackers?

my kids went to the school fair yesterday and had a mini roll each

is this acceptable?

EricScrooge Sun 09-Dec-07 16:39:38

Sugar = poison?

Are you for real?

What a ludicrous statement.

Your kids sound like they don't get any treats at all - what fun that must be for them to go off and stuff their faces with 'poison' when you aren't looking.

bananaknickers Sun 09-Dec-07 16:40:36

Sorry ,your children are not well. I think you will be laughed at if you complain to be honest. My children got swords as a prize last week-which I didn't like.. I took them away. I was running a stall too. My children were my responsibility and not the P.T.A

funnypeCOOLYULEiar Sun 09-Dec-07 16:45:58

You let your 3yo wander unsupervised at a Christmas fair, and you're complaining that he ate too much sugar - sorry, but clearly YABtotallyU. Put bluntly, it's your fault he ate too much sugar, not the school's. They weren't supervising him.

That said, I have a lot of sympathy with the idea of asking school fairs to give out prizes that aren't sweets. We went to our first one with ds (3yo) & dd (20mths) and they ate a ridiculous amount of tat because pretty much every stall was dolling out sweets as prizes (except the booze tombola grin) - I would have liked to have seen more plastic tat instead...

Mincepiedermama Sun 09-Dec-07 16:57:22

Oh my god you poor disillusioned oafs and your poor children.

Imagine such trust in sugar. Haven't you done any reading? Do you just close your eyes and march through life believing it must be OK because it's in the shops/at the christmas fair/wherever.

LOOK at the fat, sick, out of control, badly behaved kids we're bringing up. They haven't the foggiest about food as their taste buds have been corrupted hy sugar and MGS and whatever other crap people stick in to make crap food taste acceptable.

You think you're being nice to your kids by allowing them horrendous amounts of sugar? You think it really won't do them any harm?

Dream on.

TinyTimLivesinVictorianSqualor Sun 09-Dec-07 16:59:49

LOL@oafs, but it was you that allowed your children the sugar by not watching them..........

Mincepiedermama Sun 09-Dec-07 17:01:21

Actually tiny I was watching them. I was also allowing other mums they knew to watch them while I helped out with the storytelling workshops.

I really believe school fairs whould be places where kids of a reasonable age (say 5+) should be able to roam.

if your kids have such a violent reaction to sugar then go get their pancreas checked out.and moondog-speak for yourself-my chikldren are not fat or sick or out of control or badly behaved or any of thing like that and they are allowed sugar as part of their diet.

unknownrebelbang Sun 09-Dec-07 17:01:36

Nice.

sorry-not mondog-spidermama

TinyTimLivesinVictorianSqualor Sun 09-Dec-07 17:03:48

5+??
Wasn't it your almost three year old that you mentioned in the op??
My DD is 7 and wouldn't eat/purchase anything I told her not to. Whereas my Ds is 3 in a couple of weeks and would help himself to anything he could.
They also are not ill or overweight or badly behaved etc.

Ozymandius Sun 09-Dec-07 17:04:34

Hilarious post. Don't want your three year old to have any sugar? Then, duh, don't fill his pockets with money and let him wander around unsupervised. You know, be the parent.
Anyway, there is a short-lived winter vomiting virus going round. Makes kids very, very sick but doesn't last long.

Mincepiedermama Sun 09-Dec-07 17:06:10

I used the word poison advisedly so have provided the following link for your edification. A substance that causes injury, illness, or death, especially by chemical means. 2. Something destructive or fatal. 3. Chemistry & Physics A substance that inhibits another substance or a reaction: a catalyst poison Poson.

Actually mildmanneredblah my DS1 is a type 1 diabetic which has only a passing relevance to this thread afaik. This is about all four of my kids and indeed all the kids there who were off their faces on sugar in a way which has become far too accepted.

coldtits Sun 09-Dec-07 17:06:57

Children have always liked sugar - if they are exposed to it regularly they develop a little self control, even at a young age.

Ozymandius Sun 09-Dec-07 17:07:41

Water is more of a 'poison' than sugar. You can die from drinking too much of it. It's still not a poison though.

WhenAChildIsBored Sun 09-Dec-07 17:08:25

PMSL at the assumption that this must be moondog grin

There IS far too much shit on offer at school events though. It pisses me off, especially when my children are given haribo, hunks of icing and evilly bright lollipops without my permission. I'm not quite the purist Spidermama is though, I do let them have sweet foods sometimes, but I like it to be on my terms and not in crazily excessive quantities.

Christmas is the craziest time of all for this - cheap shitty TV merchandise chocolate advent calendars being the thin end of the wedge - it hacks me off because it's a conscious underestimation of children. Why the assumption that children can't find any wonder or excitement at anything unless it comes with a chunk of sugary shite? I can remember being overwhelmed with awe at the prospect of opening the little window on the advent calendar and seeing what the picture was that day.

[disgusted sigh]

TinyTimLivesinVictorianSqualor Sun 09-Dec-07 17:08:32

Oh shit, I just had a hot chocolate with marshmallows. I'm going to die.
FFS.
Sugar, as most other things that are regularly found in a human diet is fine in moderation.

wekll there you go-your child is diabetic which is a whole dofferent kettle of fish to kids that don'ty have that.

in the seven years i have been a parent i have never seen my children 'off their faces on sugar', they have never been hyper after eating sweets, been mad or any of the other states attributed to children who have been eating sweet stuff. i am very hmm about statements like yours.

Elphaba Sun 09-Dec-07 17:09:18

If you complained about this to our PTA committee we'd have a jolly good laugh and then throw your complaint out of the window.

bananaknickers Sun 09-Dec-07 17:09:26

My dd is 5 and i wouldn't let her walk around a school fair on her own. She would also not eat any sweets unless she asked me first. I see no difference in letting a child walk around unsupervised in a school fair than a supermarket.The doors are open for parents and public alike to attend.

Elphaba Sun 09-Dec-07 17:10:32

'Off their faces on sugar'? Are you sure it wasn't speed then? My children have never been 'off their faces' on sugar. If this the type of reaction your children have then it's your responsibility to monitor it, nobody else's.

QuintessentialShadowOfYuleTide Sun 09-Dec-07 17:13:14

Mincepiemama, sugar is a natural not a chemical substance. It is from the sugar roe. It is a plant. Though, this does not mean it is a drug, like opium, or cannabis, also from a plant. hmm

You are the parent, You are responsible for what your children eat, not the school.

pagwatch Sun 09-Dec-07 17:13:16

My children wouldn't buy and eat anything without checking with me first. My DD always comes home from a party with party bag and goes through it with me pulling out stuff and binning what she can't have.
My kids have allergies and intolerances and DS2 has asd and cannot cope with too much sugar or additives so i can't take the sugar and sweets thing lightly but - it is MY responsibilty - one that I only pass on to people who I would trust to check on my kids as I would.
So yes - as much as I have to be strict about sweets too - I think you are being unreasonable.
If you can't trust them not to check with you then they are not responsible enough to be wandering on their own. My 5 year old would have come to me to check.

NAB3littlemonkeys Sun 09-Dec-07 17:18:14

I would like to ask a serious question.

I have just made some chocolate muffins, chocolate brownie cake and maple syrup muffins and I am quite surprised at how big the pile of sugar is that goes in them. As I have been very strict in the past, I am trying to realx a bit and let the kids have some treats, (I figure home made are better than shop bought), and I think the children need a certain amount of sugar to grow and for energy. Am I right, or not?

minorityrules Sun 09-Dec-07 17:18:18

Would prefer all mine to eat stupid amounts of sugar instead of artificial sweeteners, sugar makes you fat and rots yours teeth, jury's out on the artificial stuff

I have never seen a kid vomit because of sugar, I have seen kids vomit after over indulging in too much food but not just sugar

I doubt one little walking stick caused the problem

pinetreedog Sun 09-Dec-07 17:18:35

There's a lorra festive anger about

smeeinachristmastreeinnit Sun 09-Dec-07 17:21:27

pmsl @ "you poor disillusioned oafs" grin

hey we may be oafs but i for one never let me ds's wander around a school fair on thier tod at the age of 3 hmm i escpecially wouldnt have they had been diabetic hmm hmm

i urge you to write to your p.t.a....go on give em all something to laugh about over the christmas break! hmm grin

ELR Sun 09-Dec-07 17:22:26

perhaps a better way to deal with this is to teach your children when enough is enough, then they can have control over their sugar intake(to a certain extent) my kids would only eat a certain amount never enough to make themselves sick.
A healthy relationship with food is the key if you teach your kids that sugar is poison then that is not a good relationship.
I agree that it is also down to schools, the government and other people to ensure that we try to promote healthy eating but it starts at home

hatwoman Sun 09-Dec-07 17:22:56

hmmm. I have a bit of an inclination to think that it might not be a bad idea for schools to make a bit of an effort to reduce the total available sugar at your average christmas fair. however ultimately it's up to parents.

also it's rubbish to say - which you pretty much did - that those of us who tolerate this are bringing up fat badly-behaved kids. mine are certainly neither of these. (dd1 can't get clothes that fit her waist she is so not fat).

my personal bug bear is the stall we always have which is like a tombola - except you always get a prize - and the prize is a jar of sweets. fine. I have no problem with kids having a jar of sweets - what I can't quite get my head round is parents who allow their kids to buy 3 or even 4! - but it's the parents who allow excess not the stall that's at fault.

HonoriaGlossop Sun 09-Dec-07 17:23:07

YAB totally unreasonable. The ONLY fault here is with you; the parent. If you don't want your kids to have stuff, supervise them.

It's unreasonable to 'send kids off browsing' at an INFANTS fair, one of them being two years old!

Don't write complaining to others - you're the one who 'poisoned' your children if that's how you see it. It's your job to care for your children's welfare not the schools.

At a school christmas fair with half the schools selling sweets, what did you think your kids were going to do without you guiding their choices? hmm

TinyTimLivesinVictorianSqualor Sun 09-Dec-07 17:23:33

NAB, a little sugar will not harm them. Certainly not in the case of a homemade muffin.
Feeding them tons of sweets is a different matter, but don't worry about the cake.

hatwoman Sun 09-Dec-07 17:24:21

begs the question why this stall is my "bug-bear" - it's not really. I just don;t understand some parents. though nothing to do with me who am I to judge etc.

THelesbellsRINGOUTFORCHRISTMAS Sun 09-Dec-07 17:26:29

rofl @ "you poor disillusioned oafs"

pagwatch Sun 09-Dec-07 17:26:41

...re the vomiting - there wasn't a bottle stall was there. A couple of tinies will make your average tot puke quite a lot.

grin ho ho ho

Depravedmum Sun 09-Dec-07 17:27:38

Well I just lost any slight sympathy I had with you, mincedpiemamma, when you called everyone you just asked advice from ' poor disillusioned oafs'. Whaaat? I'm suprised you didn't choke on your own smugness never mind your children being poisoned by sugar. I think the diabetes is incredibly relevant, actually - the fact you didn't mention it is just weird. I feed my children very healthily - they have five portions of fruit and veg a day and all the relevant protein etc but I do think there are situations where you just have to let go (Unless your child is diabetic when you obviously can never stop watching) and Christmas fairs are one of them. As for your comment " Look at all the fat, sick, out of control children we're bringing up' all I can say is you've been watching too much Supernanny. As someone who works in television I can say tell you now that only the most extreme cases get on so stop being hystercal. My children - who are allowed sugar on special occasions on the grounds a little in moderation wont kill them - are neither fat, sick or out of control. Neither are most of the children I know who are in the main happy, healthy children not turned into monsters by a little bit of sugar. Your post made me feel like a donut - with extra sugar

WulfricTheRedNosedReindeer Sun 09-Dec-07 17:30:17

Message withdrawn

Peachy Sun 09-Dec-07 17:30:22

Why do we do it?

Funds. Purely that.

Just done the accounts for our school fayre (no not me- I'm Sec- I cant add up LOL) and the sweetie etc type stalls amde the most money.

which in our case raised a total of £1370, imagine what we can do for the kids with that!

We do send home plastic boxes for the kids to fill, decorate and then to sell for £1; we deliberately edited the wording from sweetie box to treat box and put small crafts ites, toy cars, etc in the notes- they still came back from the homes filled with sweets.

goingfor3christmaspuddings Sun 09-Dec-07 17:34:07

Who supplies most of the sugar available at these fairs? The parents!

If you don't want your children eating so much sugar make them bring whatever they win over to you so you have control over what they eat.

Peachy Sun 09-Dec-07 17:35:56

Spidermama btw ds1 is intolerant of milk- I would not class that as a poison, neither the gluten which he can tolerate but which exacerbates his behaviours so badly.

Its a PITA having kids on a special diet, mroe so if you're on one yourself (me and casein dont mix at all) but you have to find ways to deal with thoccasions it comes up- DS1 takes special bars into school which he has for birthdays etc, and ds3 will get small cartons of soya drink at break time. Its just part of the deal.

DingDongJeremyOnVile Sun 09-Dec-07 17:36:42

Maybe your child wasn't 'off his face on sugar'

Maybe he's just badly behaved?

And maybe he was sick caused by the stress of having an irrational kill-joy for a mother?

I mean, obviously I don't know....just trying to help you get to the bottom of this awful incident smile

Look after your own kids fgs and take responsibility for them.

IF you don't want them to have something, make sure they don't.

Mincepiedermama Sun 09-Dec-07 17:39:05

Ooo Jeremy, what a wag you are.
Luckily for my kids they don't need sugar in order to have fun. Sorry yours do but if you ever need any help in that direction I can certainly guide you to better ways. smile

Curmudgeonlett Sun 09-Dec-07 17:39:51

'disullusioned oafs' shock and yet ROFL

as in my humble opinion the only 'poor disullusioned oaf' around here is the one who controls their childrens' diet to such an extent that they have no self-control and pig out and make themselves sick and then tries to be all 'holier than thou' about it

what a giggle

Mincepiedermama Sun 09-Dec-07 17:40:29

I do look after my own kids at fetes. It's just a shame there are so many dealers on stall corners waiting to corrupt them. wink

I can't believe the extent of the denial on this thread. Actually, I can but I never cease to be alarmed by it.

DingDongJeremyOnVile Sun 09-Dec-07 17:41:20

Well, he's only 20 mths so sugar is not really an issue at the moment, but i will remember your kind offer if and when the sweet stuff raises it's deadly ugly head.

pinetreedog Sun 09-Dec-07 17:42:18

I think your post is utterly ott, minced, and I don't really want to be associated with it.

But, I do think there is too much sugary crap at school fairs

FlamesparodyOfAChristmasName Sun 09-Dec-07 17:42:20

Tis sweets at a school fete... not a daily event.

DD is 4 1/2. She knows that she cannot have squash as it makes her bounce and gives her a stomach ache if she has too much - the same with hot dog sausages and sweets (sweets only if overdone). I can trust her not to eat too many sweets and to refuse the others unless I have ok'd it.

At 3 she wouldn't have been let loose alone.

The friday tuck shop full of penny sweets does irk, thankfully she doesn't know it exists yet so it isn't a problem. We are trying to get fairtrade choc etc in it so that it is more in keeping with the ethics of the school.

So.... what was my point? Erm, tis a one off, get a grip.

I did pmsl @ Twig's bafflement as to why JV was amused grin

Curmudgeonlett Sun 09-Dec-07 17:42:22

But what are people denying? <confused now>

Mincepiedermama Sun 09-Dec-07 17:42:37

I'm always glad to touch so many nerves though. Perhaps my message will get through to even one person who has the intelligence to stop and engage their brain and wonder what this sugar is doing in the short and long term.

I love to be able to perform this public service. You oafs ladies are clearly quite emotional about the whole issue.

Peachy Sun 09-Dec-07 17:42:50

Spidie its not really teh deal to post AIBU and then call anyone who disagrees with you disillusioned is it?

Ultimately your kids are your responsibility- if Dh hadnt been about )he isnt always) then the boys simply wouldnt have attendd the fayre when I was manning the stall; either that or I wouldn't have run one.

camillathechicken Sun 09-Dec-07 17:43:26

oooh, i;ve never been called a disillusioned oaf, even as part of a mass name calling, how very exciting !!

i might even change my name to camillatheoaf, has rather a ring to it !!

<<leaves thread to feed childrne more sugary donuts on honour of chanukah... see,, tis not just the scourge of christians, oh no, tis multi faith madness!>>

Mincepiedermama Sun 09-Dec-07 17:44:15

Can't hear you as have popped off to stir the quinoa.

Curmudgeonlett Sun 09-Dec-07 17:44:44

WHAT MESSAGE?

answer a question spidermama

what message are you trying to get across?

what are people denying?

Mincepiedermama Sun 09-Dec-07 17:44:49

That's 'keen-wah' to you. grin

we are emotional??? we are not he ones wanting to write complaining letters!

you are talking rot! you have an agenda and because people aren't buying into it we are misguided, in denial, etc.

maybe you are just bonkers?

camillathechicken Sun 09-Dec-07 17:45:10

maybe, spidermama, a thread entitled

'the hidden dangers of sugar' or 'why i believe sugar is an uncecessary evil', without naem calling and smugness would have been a far better way to get the point across

TinyTimLivesinVictorianSqualor Sun 09-Dec-07 17:45:23

Mincepiedermama.
Keep watch over your children, there are worse things at school fayres than sugar.
Like open doors that lead to roads.

Peachy Sun 09-Dec-07 17:45:29

Don't forget Diwali sweet Camilla wink

there is of course an pbvious solution, one I employed when the ds's did win (they didnt go near the wsweet stall proper) too much in the way of sugary crap

Its called the bin.

WulfricTheRedNosedReindeer Sun 09-Dec-07 17:45:37

Message withdrawn

camillathechicken Sun 09-Dec-07 17:45:59

i eat quinoa

covered with sugar and maple syrup

grin

ooh don't forget eid sweets!!

FlamesparodyOfAChristmasName Sun 09-Dec-07 17:46:48

Am I the only onenot convinced by this thread?

WhenAChildIsBored Sun 09-Dec-07 17:47:05

What the fuck is a mulled snowman?

Peachy Sun 09-Dec-07 17:47:46

The ones who write the letters to the PA at our school are the ones who complain when we cant afford to put on events or buy equipment they consider necessary

hmm

Doodledootoo Sun 09-Dec-07 17:47:47

Message withdrawn

Curmudgeonlett Sun 09-Dec-07 17:47:48

breast milk has natural sugars in it

Curmudgeonlett Sun 09-Dec-07 17:48:26

ROFL @ greeny's mulled snowman confusion grin

long story greeny

Peachy Sun 09-Dec-07 17:48:39

When a child, a mulled snowman is a glass of vaguely cinnamony water with a few bits of orange bunged in for effect and some ragged wool from a cooked scarf hanging out grin

Mincepiedermama Sun 09-Dec-07 17:48:41

It is poison. It caused my children to be ill. I didn't say 'deadly poison'. I said 'poison' and if you look it up in the dictionary (or in the link I provided earlier) you will see I used the word correctly.

DingDongJeremyOnVile Sun 09-Dec-07 17:48:55

Lines up for the Not Entirely Convinced Either register.

Doodledootoo Sun 09-Dec-07 17:49:22

Message withdrawn

Curmudgeonlett Sun 09-Dec-07 17:50:44

doodle seems to have a 'helping out at christmas fair' agenda recently grin

Curmudgeonlett Sun 09-Dec-07 17:51:11

the thing that caused your 3 year old to puke was lack of supervision IMHO

THelesbellsRINGOUTFORCHRISTMAS Sun 09-Dec-07 17:51:31

too stoned on sugar to be convinced....anyone want a wine gum

Mincepiedermama Sun 09-Dec-07 17:51:57

'Loath' Doodle? That's a very strong word. Poor you. wink

WhenAChildIsBored Sun 09-Dec-07 17:52:00

I LOVE her posting style, it's cheered my evening up no end grin

What a bunch of po-faced tossers you lot turned out to be...

DingDongJeremyOnVile Sun 09-Dec-07 17:52:13

<COUGH>grossneglect<COUGH>

Ozymandius Sun 09-Dec-07 17:52:28

That's just idiotic. Loads of things are harmful in massive amounts - eg water. Is water a 'poison'.
Sugar is not a poison.
Your kid has a bug. Get over it.

FrannyandZooey Sun 09-Dec-07 17:52:53

Oh god I have missed you Greeny

FrannyandZooey Sun 09-Dec-07 17:54:47

oh in answer to the OP, I don't think you should complain (I don't think it would achieve anything for a start) but I do think you should try to become more involved and suggest different things that could be given as prizes etc

I haven't been to a school fair for years (not since becoming a parent) so am only going on what people have posted here, but feel it is a shame if they are giving out sweets at every stall, yes

it's depressingly unimaginative at the very least

jINGLESbells Sun 09-Dec-07 17:55:28

Oh this thread has really cheered up my damp and miserable Sunday!!!! What a lot of pompous rot!
Our Xmas fayre was indeed a sugar fest...tbh there isn't an awful lot in the way of prizes that can be bought for 20p and put in a lucky dip for 50p...After all we're trying to make money. however my 2 ds's (1 has nut allergy) managed to stroll around and spend a couple of pounds whilst I manned a stall, without poisoning themselves. I have a feeling mincepiedermama's children will be the ones gorging themselves sick at any old party as they are obviously denied treats and therefore have no self control.

KITTYmaspudding Sun 09-Dec-07 17:55:44

is this for real?
Some people..........

goingfor3christmaspuddings Sun 09-Dec-07 17:57:13

Your 2 year old was the one "poisoned" by sugar, completley your responsibility!

edam Sun 09-Dec-07 17:59:26

The only message I'm taking from this thread is that Spidermama (think that's the OP) is a bit hysterical about sugar. And inclined to blame everyone else but her when her kids eat too much.

Mincepiedermama Sun 09-Dec-07 18:00:03

Thanks whenachildisbored. Good name btw.

Good suggestion F&Z. I think you are quite right. It's high time I got involved with the PTFA so I can have some imput. No poiknt moaning. Must take positive action.

Thanks for your imput. smile

Doodledootoo Sun 09-Dec-07 18:00:14

Message withdrawn

WhenAChildIsBored Sun 09-Dec-07 18:00:17

Oh, what do you know, you're only a stupid old cheese anyway

KITTYmaspudding Sun 09-Dec-07 18:00:42

Yes that's true about the gorging on sugar.
One of my kids recently had a party and a child I'd normally think of as very mild-mannered and quite strictly brought up went absolutely mental on chocolate. He stuffed himself full of the stuff. I've never seen the like.

DingDongJeremyOnVile Sun 09-Dec-07 18:00:45

Input.

DingDongJeremyOnVile Sun 09-Dec-07 18:01:47

RETRACT!
RETRACT!

I've never pedanted someone before and ugh, I dont like it blush

NAB3littlemonkeys Sun 09-Dec-07 18:01:53

Thank you TinyTimLivesInVictorianSqualor

Your name makes me smile as I was Mrs Cratchit in The Cratchits Christmas Dinner at primary school featuring Tiny Tim.

Mincepiedermama Sun 09-Dec-07 18:02:26

Jeremy I'm sorry I seem to have upset you so much. I didn't mean to make you feel petty and guilty about your choices. If I can help in any way ...

DingDongJeremyOnVile Sun 09-Dec-07 18:03:17

grin

Yes, you said that already.

You are most generous and helpful.

Curmudgeonlett Sun 09-Dec-07 18:03:46

is pedant now a verb??

ooooo .... me likeeeee

NAB3littlemonkeys Sun 09-Dec-07 18:04:13

WulfricTheRedNosedReindeer Thanks to you too.

Curmudgeonlett Sun 09-Dec-07 18:04:58

I'm going to write to Thornton's .. it's a disgrace grin

DingDongJeremyOnVile Sun 09-Dec-07 18:05:22

If the occasion ever arises where my DS becomes ill after gorging himself on sugar whilst I failed to supervise him sufficiently, I'll know where to come for advice/comfort.

BahHunkerBug Sun 09-Dec-07 18:07:04

I know how utterly shocking sugar made me feel when I had gestational diabetes. I was caught out once, just before I was diagnosed, and I had a cookie - you know, big squashy disc of chocolate chips?

I was slurring my words, my tongue felt too big in my head, dry mouth, head spinning, flashing lights behind eyes, nauseous - really, really bizarre sensation.

So, if you're sensitive to sugar, yes, a candy cane could make you sick.

I think in general people in this country eat too much sugar - but then, in general, people in this country eat too much full stop.

So, whilst I think that a letter to the PTFA would be a bit ott, and I don't mind the boys having sugar in moderation - like most other things - I object far more strongly to artificial colourings, flavours and sweeteners - I do agree with the sentiment of "why the fuck is sugar the only prize at school fairs" sentiment.

Having said all that, I wouldn't let a not-quite-3yo wander round a school fair by himself either. I wouldn't let DS1 and he's 3.8.

ABudafulSightWereHappyTonight Sun 09-Dec-07 18:12:43

Well i haven't gotten into the whole sugar thing as I suspect it could be quite personal but just wanted to point out that my DS is 6 and there is no way I would let him roam around a school fair alone for various reasons (security being the major one) and if OP did then I am afraid that 'on your head be it'.

Sugar is not that much of an issue for most children.

yurt1 Sun 09-Dec-07 18:21:16

so why did you let your child have it? 2 of mine can't have gluten. i can hardly insist the whole school fair is gluten free, so I take their own stuff if I think they're likely to be looking for something to eat. If i forget then they just go without.

Mincepiedermama Sun 09-Dec-07 18:25:32

I'd better just clear this up. I didn't let my three year old wonder round the fair on his own. His sister gave him a sugar cane from the jar of 20 she won on the tombola shock while he was sitting on my knee. I didn't notice until it was too late as I was talking to a friend. I guess my mistake was talking to a friend at the Christmas fair as I wasn't match fit on sugar duty. hmm

is it your diabetic son who was given the candy cane?

Ledodgy Sun 09-Dec-07 18:31:14

Can I just clarify that by PTFA we mean PT FUCKING A and not some other acronym i'm not privvy too having only a bog standard PTA at my school?

is it not parents/teachers/friends

singersgirl Sun 09-Dec-07 18:32:32

I think it's really unlikely that one sugar cane would make a child sick three times unless they had an underlying condition, or an intolerance or allergy to something in the cane. If it was the food, and not just a virus, colourings and flavourings are more likely culprits than sugar, as it is rare for anyone to be truly intolerant (not talking diabetes, of course) to pure refined sugar.

But I have a great deal of sympathy with the general issue - there is far too much sweet rubbish around and there is a culture of 'sweets for every celebration'. One of my boys is intolerant to various additives (asthma, eczema and stomach aches) and every birthday he comes out clutching Haribos or other tatt. Halloween is a nightmare, because they want what their friends have, and it's just rubbish. Why would I want to feed them refined petrochemicals? I don't eat that stuff.

jINGLESbells Sun 09-Dec-07 18:32:44

So he was sitting on your lap whilst he ate it!!!!!! shock
Unbelivable!!
and it's wander

TinyTimLivesinVictorianSqualor Sun 09-Dec-07 18:33:40

Well, you should teach your DD about your dislike of sugar then.
At least it's understandable a 3yr old eating sugar, but how old is DD?
Surely she knew better?

Ledodgy Sun 09-Dec-07 18:34:02

Oh is it MMJ? PSML we only have a PTA so I thought the F had been inserted for dramatic effect. blush

Curmudgeonlett Sun 09-Dec-07 18:34:15

but if your 3 year old is not allowed sugar for medical reasons surely your DD should know not to give it to him? shouldn't she? .. I thought you had two quite old children (9 or so) am I wrong?

TinyTimLivesinVictorianSqualor Sun 09-Dec-07 18:34:47

(DS would probably drink bleach if I allowed him, but DD wouldn't let him, cos it's poisonous innit.)

Curmudgeonlett Sun 09-Dec-07 18:35:12

So you're pissed off that a prize on the tombola was a jar of 20 candy canes? What, like christmas tree decorations?

oh do get real

Blandmum Sun 09-Dec-07 18:36:00

Well, this 'oaf' knows that glucose in the basic entry point for the conversion of energy in living things. So not quite a 'poison'.

Granted we can get it from the break down of complex carbs, but it isn't a poison, not even to diabetics who need to take account of their carb/ insulin balance.

If you don't like it, don't let them eat it. I take it that the PTA wasn't actually cramming it into their open mouths??

DingDongJeremyOnVile Sun 09-Dec-07 18:36:46

Weirder and weirder.....

DarthVader Sun 09-Dec-07 18:37:20

YABU not to expect this at a christmas fair. I think you need to be on the PTA to influence the content of the fair in future if you feel as strongly as this.

TinyTimLivesinVictorianSqualor Sun 09-Dec-07 18:38:46

I'm just imagining the reaction of the PTFA at DD's school if sugar was banned from the xmas fayre. Should they ban the wine from the school discos too???
Just incase someone gives your DS a bit??

Ozymandius Sun 09-Dec-07 18:39:22

It was a virus, for heaven's sake! There are loads around.
Hey, but maybe that's the PTFA's fault too...

DingDongJeremyOnVile Sun 09-Dec-07 18:39:23

Yes, you may want to lobby your DD too while you're at it.

And maybe get yerself to the opticians, cos if you failed to notice him scoffing this 'poison' whilst he was sat on your knee.....

NineUnlovelyTinselDecorations Sun 09-Dec-07 18:39:34

YANBU, YABATFA

DingDongJeremyOnVile Sun 09-Dec-07 18:40:15

grin

jINGLESbells Sun 09-Dec-07 18:40:23

But let's be honest she would be completely overruled as her opinions are just slightly extreme!

Curmudgeonlett Sun 09-Dec-07 18:42:19

what's yabatfa?

BahHunkerBug Sun 09-Dec-07 18:42:46

You are being absolutely totally fucking anreasonable?

NineUnlovelyTinselDecorations Sun 09-Dec-07 18:43:12

You are being a total flipping arse

DingDongJeremyOnVile Sun 09-Dec-07 18:43:26

(I made my own to fit, it was bloody funny)

NineUnlovelyTinselDecorations Sun 09-Dec-07 18:44:23

I acknowledge that JV.

Ledodgy Sun 09-Dec-07 18:44:27

As you can tell from earlier acronyms aren't my thing but i'm guessing it's You are being a total fucking arse?

Kathyate6mincepies Sun 09-Dec-07 18:44:43

Am I being really stupid here? I can't work out why Mincepiedermama is calling everyone disillusioned - disillusioned.
No-one has been disillusioned, has they? Does she mean deluded?

NineUnlovelyTinselDecorations Sun 09-Dec-07 18:46:09

Nearly LeDodgy, only I am a laydee and therefore only say flipping (in public).

Curmudgeonlett Sun 09-Dec-07 18:46:49

may I just slightly reword the OP

"Why does it have to be so packed with sugar? After the fair at the juniors my nearly three year old was sick several times in the night because someone <my DD> gave him those disgusting sugar walking sticks <whilst he was sitting on my knee and I was chatting to a friend>."

Tamum Sun 09-Dec-07 18:47:05

I'm pretty sodding disillusioned, Kathy, I thought I had a PhD in biochemistry

DingDongJeremyOnVile Sun 09-Dec-07 18:48:13

Good work.

Blandmum Sun 09-Dec-07 18:48:34

and I'd still say, 'Why didn't you take it off him, if you didn't want him to eat it?'

Fair enough, your child, your rules.

But unreasonable to expect everyone to follow the same rules are you.

BahHunkerBug Sun 09-Dec-07 18:48:49

SM, you don't have a leg to stand on, you know.

Want one of these to help you out?

Ozymandius Sun 09-Dec-07 18:49:13

"After the fair my nearly three year old was sick several times in the night <...I don't know why. It could be a virus, after all that's more likely than it being result of a tiny sweet I suppose. Mustn't jump to conclusions. >."

BahHunkerBug Sun 09-Dec-07 18:49:27
Blandmum Sun 09-Dec-07 18:49:28

Phd, shmeHD Tamum!

allIWannaBeForChristmas Sun 09-Dec-07 18:50:07

is it a full moon tonight?

because clearly you are barking.

TinyTimLivesinVictorianSqualor Sun 09-Dec-07 18:51:38

We ate too much sugar. A whole teaspoon in our tea. No full moon needed.

Tamum Sun 09-Dec-07 18:51:45

Lol at shmeHD grin

Curmudgeonlett Sun 09-Dec-07 18:51:49

oh Hunker <wipes away tears of mirth> LOL at baby pic

BahHunkerBug Sun 09-Dec-07 18:52:48

It's not a joke, Twig - honestly, that poor baby was forcefed candy canes until it turned into one. You know, like one's mother warns one when one is little and wants to eat one's own body weight in cake?

Blandmum Sun 09-Dec-07 18:53:06

hose candy canes must have been this big

Blandmum Sun 09-Dec-07 18:54:22

That and other amzing shitola can be found at sky mall. BIL left us a catalogue. Full of shit you never, ever , needed!

But strangly addictive

WhenAChildIsBored Sun 09-Dec-07 18:54:55

yay, I've managed to find the perfect Christmas present for Spidey AND Hunker shock

brace yerself...

jINGLESbells Sun 09-Dec-07 18:54:58

the op should probably be re_worded to:
AIBU in looking for someone else to blame because I have been clearing up lots of sick due to my negligence

BahHunkerBug Sun 09-Dec-07 18:55:30

<sob> Greeny! <faints>

jura Sun 09-Dec-07 18:56:10

No, I'm not going to say anything. I'm not. I'm not.

I'm just going to sit here reading, wiping tears of mirth from my eyes.

Carry on, this is priceless.grin

Mincepiedermama Sun 09-Dec-07 18:58:18

< Wiping projectile vomit off screen >

Thanks so much Greeny.

DingDongJeremyOnVile Sun 09-Dec-07 19:00:05

oH, LORD! yOU ATE A CANDY CANE TOO???

CharlieAndLolasMummy Sun 09-Dec-07 19:01:02

Am confused

Was the sugar actually contaminated or are you objecting to the fact that there was sugar there at all?

Dunno really, it does piss me off, this idea that Christmas (/birthdays/fridays/etc) isn't complete without a hit of azo dyes and pure sugar.

Realisticaly though, the PTA aren't going to take this on board so you need to get involved or follow them round. I don't let my kids wander round such things unsupervised, because I am a food fascist.

CharlieAndLolasMummy Sun 09-Dec-07 19:02:06

oh feck there are EIGHT pages of this, not one.

blush

ack well, everyone ignores me nowadays anyway...

Blandmum Sun 09-Dec-07 19:04:05

Who are you anyway? wink

yurt1 Sun 09-Dec-07 19:08:17

Who gets wine at school discos?? envy

pinetreedog Sun 09-Dec-07 19:09:12

we get wine and beer at pta halloween party

Curmudgeonlett Sun 09-Dec-07 19:09:48

we have a non-alcohol policy .. someone made non-alcoholic mulled wine with cranberry juice apple juice and the fixings .. surprisingly drinkable it was

Blandmum Sun 09-Dec-07 19:17:54

We get wine at all our school 'dos' darling.

the only we I can get through some of them! smile

FlamesparodyOfAChristmasName Sun 09-Dec-07 19:19:21

I have spent the last couple of hours trying to work out what a sugar walking stick was!!! Candy cane!!! blushgrin

edam Sun 09-Dec-07 19:20:24

whenachildisbored, was that comment supposed to be funny? I wasn't saying anything worse than other posters did.

poison!shockcould have been worse they could have had fruitshootsgrin

TinyTimLivesinVictorianSqualor Sun 09-Dec-07 19:23:08

We have wine and lager. Good prices too, about a quid for a can.

I am now very cross at the pathetic lack of sweets at our Christmas fair angry
in fact I only won a bottle of Piat D'or and a rusty can of chickpeas
and, also, while I am in angry mode, why haven't we got a festive angry face hmmm? hmmmmmmm? answer me that!
<chews on freebase coconut ice>

pinetreedog Sun 09-Dec-07 19:27:18

tiny tim, I can't help picturing this tiny tim instead of this one

Lilymaid Sun 09-Dec-07 19:28:19

Just scrolled down a long way and noticed this from OP:
"It's just a shame there are so many dealers on stall corners waiting to corrupt them"
Is sugar a euphemism for something else? To think I went to/helped at all those school fairs without understanding what was really going on.

TinselHockey Sun 09-Dec-07 19:29:46

I just think of [http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/books/muppetKobal460.jpg this one]]

TinselHockey Sun 09-Dec-07 19:30:20

Oops this one

TinyTimLivesinVictorianSqualor Sun 09-Dec-07 19:30:22

grin
I'm going to miss being tinytim when christmas is over!

CodRestYeMerryGentelmen Sun 09-Dec-07 19:30:30

ALERTALERT

sugar hysteria

Kathyate6mincepies Sun 09-Dec-07 19:30:49

Do the teachers hide behind the blackboard and pass round a hip flask Martianbishop?

we are waiting to corupt them im outside her house now with some happy mealsgrin

pinetreedog Sun 09-Dec-07 19:31:44
Doodledootoo Sun 09-Dec-07 19:32:01

Message withdrawn

tiny-just for you!here!

slim22 Sun 09-Dec-07 19:41:33

Spidermama, I'm totally with you on the fact that sugar is a useless and even harmful for our metabolism.
Any nutritionist will confirm and it's common knowledge nowadays. But most people are in denial.
I don't understand why it's perfectly reasonnable on mumsnet (and even a sort of snobbery) to condemn formula milk manufacturers and not be lucid about the sugar industry.

However, you are overreacting. It's not devillish and it would be very unfair to let your kids participate in such events and deny what other kids are having. IT'S a TREAT on a special day.
No different from having a glass of champagne (or more) at an adult Xmas party!
I echo what others said. It's up to us teach them not to binge.

Mincepiedermama Sun 09-Dec-07 19:42:13

See Cod if only my kids could be like the little guest you had round the other day who put your right on your lolly offer. I would be so proud. grin

TinyTimLivesinVictorianSqualor Sun 09-Dec-07 19:43:02

Lol@everyones tiny tims. smile

Doodle, I remember the school discos my dd used to have at her previous school. load of rubbish. The discos at her current school are afull of kids having a great time, and laughing at their parents dancing grin

edam Sun 09-Dec-07 19:45:56

Slim, did you see MB's post below?

"Well, this 'oaf' knows that glucose in the basic entry point for the conversion of energy in living things. So not quite a 'poison'. Granted we can get it from the break down of complex carbs, but it isn't a poison, not even to diabetics who need to take account of their carb/ insulin balance."

CodRestYeMerryGentelmen Sun 09-Dec-07 19:46:42

ah but i htought he was a wnaker htough.
he is tbh.

ineedapoo Sun 09-Dec-07 19:47:23

Well sugar is a natural substance might I be so bold as to assume you don't let your children eat fruit (fructose natural fruit sugar) or milk (lactose milk sugar)if you don't like them having sugar. Come on you are their parent tell them no prior to the school fair or don't go not hard is it

mollymawk Sun 09-Dec-07 19:50:10

Aha, thanks Kathy! Have just read all through this thread and have spent half of it thinking "surely 'disillusioned' isn't right?" but couldn't think what it should have been. Ta!
No constructive comments to add re sugar.

lalisa Sun 09-Dec-07 19:51:05

This is a fascinating thread. There seem to be two types of people here:

1) Those who accept that the world is not perfect and full of stuff that's not great for us (ok, there's a lot of sugar at the fair) but that the best thing is to guide our kids through it, teach them moderation and hope for the best.

and

2) Those that want to change the world (there shall be no sugar at the fair!). Hopeless, angry idealists who sometimes piss peole off.

Mincespidermama is a 2. Most the people who say she's overreacing are a 1. I really sympathise with the 2's. I'd probably be one, except that I like to have friends. Good luck changing the world mincespidermama. It'll be easier if you stop insulting everyone though.

slim22 Sun 09-Dec-07 19:53:46

Never said poison. Just very overrated and quite unnecessary.
Hence my analogy with alcohol. mederate=pleasure. Binge=pain.

I'm agreeing with spidermama and not trying to convince anyone else or have a debate. I'm pretty happy with my theory.
(clearly, being preg atm and having to watch my "poison" intake puts me in the right mood for this wink

Blandmum Sun 09-Dec-07 19:54:01

We wish you a Lentil Christmas;
We wish you a lentil Christmas;
We wish you a Lentil Christmas and nutritionally balanced New Year.

Good tidings we bring to you and your kin (or significant other of either gender);
Good tidings for Christmas and a Sober New Year.

Oh, bring us bread and water;
Oh, bring us Bread and water ;
Oh, bring us Bread and water and spike to sit on!

We won't go until we get some;
We won't go until we get some;
We won't go until we get some, so bring some out here

We wish you a lentil Christmas and a Nutritionally balanced New Year.

WhenAChildIsBored Sun 09-Dec-07 19:55:38

yes edam, I'm afraid it was meant to be funny in a donkeying-about irrelevant sort of way. Am overtired and hung over. Sorry!

Curmudgeonlett Sun 09-Dec-07 19:56:07

actually lalisa

I thought there was

1) spidermama

2) people taking the piss of spidermama

it's nice to be corrected though grin

Curmudgeonlett Sun 09-Dec-07 19:56:43

<falls over laughing at MB's verse>

slim22 Sun 09-Dec-07 19:56:54

grin MB and Edam.

See now, all I can think of is a drink envy

Scootergrrrl Sun 09-Dec-07 19:59:11

Surely Spidermama's DCs are behaving in the same way anyone who is denied something they crave would - by gorging on it when they get the chance.
I had a friend who completely banned her daughter from having sweets and chocolate - the little darling used to literally mug the other children at the park for their Buttons or whatever hmm

welliemum Sun 09-Dec-07 20:04:20

grin MB

I'm totally baffled at the "vomiting after sugar" thing.

We are lentil weavery healthy eaters here and don't buy sweets for the dds, but when they go to parties and eat loads of rubbish their digestive systems seem to cope somehow wink

My money is on a virus.

like the songgrin

Mercy Sun 09-Dec-07 20:08:26

I think next year you should donate a potato or two for the tombola.

yurt1 Sun 09-Dec-07 20:09:12

please tell me the wine they serve at school discos is rank or I will be envy <<sips glass of fine wine>>

TooTickyDoves Sun 09-Dec-07 20:10:14

I don't give my dcs a lot of sugary foods and they are often sick after Christmas fairs/other people's birthday parties, and not because they binge. Their bodies just aren't used to dealing with so much shite - or have the sense to eject it.

justwaitingaboutforsanta Sun 09-Dec-07 20:11:25

Actually, spidermama, I think this is YOUR guilt and denial talking. You have a diabetic child, which makes you hyper-alert, you have another child who vomited after sugar, (is that right? They're not the same, are they) and I think you're jumping to false conclusions. You don't know that the sugar made him sick.

But quite frankly, you should also try to control your children. No child under five should be running around without supervision, at a fair or anywhere else.

Gosh that's probably the strongest post I've ever put on Mumsnet.

OverMyDeadStuffedTurkey Sun 09-Dec-07 20:11:55

my ds is nearly 5 and couldn't eat a whole candy cane in one sitting, he can't even finish a lollipop, so am very surprised and hmm that your 3 yr old managed to eat a whole one while sitting on yuor knee and you where so engrossed in a conversation that you didn't notice!!

As with any 'poion', it's not the substance that is the poison, it's the dose. You have no one but yourself to blame for allowing your son to OD under your very nose!

Oh, and, did you know, all carohydrate is broken down into simple sugars like those found in sweets in your body, even the carbs in quinoa wink

Blandmum Sun 09-Dec-07 20:13:16

yurt1, last time we went there was a rather nice Cava! envy indeed!

welliemum Sun 09-Dec-07 20:15:33

But it won't be the sugar making them sick, tooticky - it'll be all the other revolting stuff they put in confectionary.

Mercy Sun 09-Dec-07 20:15:50

Yurt1 - wine served at school discos is rank. Because the white wine is warm and is served in plastic cups.

Plus certain people who don't get out much get carried away and make fools of themselves at a family event.

Not me though.

welliemum Sun 09-Dec-07 20:20:36

And look how cross I'm getting at the OP, because I do think that the sweets and treats marketed for children are disgusting rubbish and that there will be a health price to pay in one way or another.

And I resent it that my children have to eat rubbish at parties to be sociable, when they'd be very happy to eat real food.

But mad frothing about sugar being poison just makes anyone who cares about healthy eating worry that they'll be tarred with the same brush.

OverMyDeadStuffedTurkey Sun 09-Dec-07 20:21:18

slim - actually sugar (as in simple carbohydrate) is essential! Without it we'd be dead.

Maybe what you mean is that refined white sugar is nutritionally empty apart from calories?

Don't state 'facts' unless they really are facts.

TooTickyDoves Sun 09-Dec-07 20:22:03

Don't really see why everybody is so cross with Spidermama...

jINGLESbells Sun 09-Dec-07 20:28:43

cos she called us all disillusioned oafs!

dinny Sun 09-Dec-07 20:34:21

I agree with SM - why does everything aimed at kids have to be sugar and full of additives? With all the Gov directives about healthy eating I think the school fair should be an extension of this 0 you can still have treats and yummy things to eat but not loaded with sugar, fat and crap.

it is is sadly becoming the culture of the UK - you can bet your bottom dollar a school fair in, say, France or Switzerland would be less sugar-obsessed.

slim22 Sun 09-Dec-07 20:40:08

overmydeadstuffedturkey, yes EMPTY/UNNECESSARY/OVERRATED as in refined white sugar, isn't that what the OP is complaining about???

come on, chill, get yourself a lolly.

WulfricTheRedNosedReindeer Sun 09-Dec-07 20:40:48

Message withdrawn

dinny Sun 09-Dec-07 20:43:33

she is thinking of writing to ask them to cap the amount of sugar at them - think that is reasonable, as many kids will eat and eat and eat junk till they feel/are sick. and it would be nice if they could have a little bit of freedom to go and spend their pennies at the fair without running that risk!

welliemum Sun 09-Dec-07 20:44:56

Yes, that's the other thing - parental responsibility.

At parties I'm keeping an eye on what they eat (dd1 =allergic child so I do this all the time anyway) and if I thought they were eating more than they could tolerate I'd wade in and stop them.

I haven't had to do this so far - they seem to know when to stop - but if they overate in my presence it would be MY fault.

right a slightly different take on this. but not to do with the sugar aspect.

dd1 is senstive to food colourings. just eating soemthing with artificial colours can send into hospital with breathing problems, swellings and rashes.

at the school fetes i check every prize they win. I remove any offending sweets, and if possible try and swap it for platic tat instead.

if eating colourings made dd1 vomit, it would be a damn sight easier than rushing to a+e with a bad reaction.

in my cupboard ihave 8 sticks of holiday rock (bright pink stuff) bags of haribo (taken from party bags, dh is working his way through them), various jelly sweets one which is a hamburger (?) some moam chews, and various other sweets which dont have any information of what is in them.

justwaitingaboutforsanta Sun 09-Dec-07 20:48:49

That is really hard on you, fairytale, I really sympathise.

welliemum Sun 09-Dec-07 20:49:10

Am PMSL

While I was writing that last post about parental responsibility, dd2 was eating dog biscuits blush blush grin

I'm going to go and supervise them a bit better now, parental responsibility dontchaknow.

differentbutthesame Sun 09-Dec-07 20:52:09

bananaknickers my dd is five and no way would I let her wonder round the madness that is our Christmas fair alone.

She wont eat sweets until she checks with me either, even if she gets them at school from someone she will leave them in her bag all day until she has asked me <preen> lol

been doing it sicne she was 3years old so its easier now, she is almost 8 and does check with me when she gets given foods she doesnt know.

i have barred most foods with additives in, except for soem things that dh likes. but even dd2 who is 5 asks if she is allowed sweets before she eats them.

i think the girls wil lend up being chocoholics though as that is 'safe'

WulfricTheRedNosedReindeer Sun 09-Dec-07 20:56:25

Message withdrawn

differentbutthesame Sun 09-Dec-07 20:56:40

I actually dont remember any sweetie stalls or prizes as sweets at the summer fair etc hmm but my dd goes to what the ocals call " a shiny yummy mummy school"

the pta could always have some of these made into stickers to put on all the prizes....

welliemum Sun 09-Dec-07 21:00:12

grin wulfric.

Yes, according to the packet she'll have lots of energy and a lovely shiny coat too...

justwaitingaboutforsanta Sun 09-Dec-07 21:03:32

Oh, welliemum, that made me cry with laughter. Thank you so much for making this oaf so happy.
It's not often I'm called an oaf. I have a very posh accent.

slim22 Sun 09-Dec-07 21:06:07

grin

myrrhthamoo Sun 09-Dec-07 21:06:45

I do agree that there is too much sugary crap at school events. I helped out at the Hallowe'en disco recently, on the "Tuck Shop" and was amazed at all the stuff available I haven't seen for years - flying saucers, would you believe? It's a shame though, but this is what sells - we did a roaring trade and made a lot of money for school funds. At the end, we had a caseload of bottled water left but were all out of Fruit Shoots. I don't think many parents at my dses school are Mumsnetters grin And making money is what the events are for, ultimately. At a recent cake bake I also helped at someone had made courgette muffins (though I imagine they must have had a fair amount of sugar in them to make them palatable) - the kids (and adults) said "what are those?" They didn't sell. I think the tide is turning - I hope it is - Jamie Oliver has made a difference with school dinners and healthy eating is on the political agenda...but it's going to be a gradual process. Ranting at people about poisoning and how we are being sheep for allowing our children "horrendous amounts of sugar" is not going to help the cause one jot.

I'm deeply sceptical that sugar "poisoned" your ds, though - has he had this reaction to sugar before (and, if so, why weren't you watching him more closely to make sure he didn't get his hands on any of the hard stuff?)? I'm more inclined to think it was a bug. I was quite amused by the "someone" who gave your 2 year old the candy cane turning out to be your dd - and he was sitting on your lap at the time. I had thought "yes, that's out of order - to give a 2 year old something without checking with his parent first" but that wasn't really the whole story, was it? Still, you've been up with a vomitty child all night, no wonder you're grumpy.

I don't think a few sweets will do the average child any harm - ds2 has sweets occasionally; ds1 doesn't (because he doesn't like them!).

By all means, get involved with the PTA and try and change it from the inside out. I'd advise against a letter to the PTA couched in the tems you've used in this thread, though. Accuse them of poisoning your child and call them oafs and I suspect you'll be dismissed as a loon.

hippipotTEDCHRISTMASTREEami Sun 09-Dec-07 21:09:50

Dinny, I would not be so sure. I remember a carnival type party at my German primary school and handfuls of boiled sweets were given out. Actually they were thrown at us. My sister adn I managed to collect a carrier bag full each!!!!!

I am shocked at those demonizing sugar. In moderation it is fine. And I seriously worry about those who reject sugar in favour of artificial sugar, which is a chemical and thus so much worse for you.

But each to their own.

Spidermama, please complain to the PTA, it will be the best laugh they will have had in ages!
I hope your dc is over his bug soon. Because that is what it will be. A bug. One candy cane does not a sick child make.

Mincepiedermama Sun 09-Dec-07 21:14:46

Toddle off now oafs. Those Fruitshoots won't drink themselves. grin

TinyTimLivesinVictorianSqualor Sun 09-Dec-07 21:19:58

I don't do fruitshoots. Prefer a good ole diet pepsi meself wink

hippipotTEDCHRISTMASTREEami Sun 09-Dec-07 21:20:14

Fruitshoots with sugar or with artificial sweetener???

DoesntChristmasDragOn Sun 09-Dec-07 21:20:17

"my nearly three year old was sick several times in the night because someone gave him those disgusting sugar walking sticks"

No, he was sick because you let him eat them.

FlamesparodyOfAChristmasName Sun 09-Dec-07 21:20:47

grin Marthamoo - at DD's disco they all looked at her like she was some poor deprived child with her cup of water and bread roll (hot dog sausages and squash were the only food and drink on offer bar sweets, and she knows she isn't allowed them!!)

agree whole heartedly with the op - they never used to be like this

lilolilbethlehem Sun 09-Dec-07 21:24:54

haven't the time or the energy to read all the threads.
i) how do you know that the sugar sticks made your child sick??? unlikley to have been the only thing they ate in the 3 days or so food stays in your stomach
ii) well done for running a stall (and I mean that) but if you need to write to the "PTFA people" to complain, it suggests you're not involved in the planning. Stop being wise after the act and go help out organising.
iii) It's a little bit of sugar. If you are so anal about it, your DCs won't learn moderation and one day, when their eating habits are out of your control, they'll gorge themselves on the things Mummy banned. I am anti too much sugar, but party days and fair days are exceptions to any of our normal rules.

Depravedmum Sun 09-Dec-07 21:43:35

BahHunkerBug - I cannot stop laughing at that last link. Thank you so much

aviatrix Sun 09-Dec-07 21:55:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lilolilbethlehem Sun 09-Dec-07 21:57:26

so get off your lazy arses and go to the PTA meetings and help them work out alternatives. Don't just come on here and moan about it.

lilolilbethlehem Sun 09-Dec-07 22:02:04

Sorry. But get so pissed off as a stalwart of 2 PTA committees, having people calling us "lazy and unimaginative" option when they have never, ever, offered to help work out alternatives.

Mincepiedermama Sun 09-Dec-07 22:02:19

Wow lil your knee-jerk vehemence and anger is more telling than you know.

'Lazy arses' etc. Why the anger? I was asking other mums if they think it reasonable to approach the PTFA. I can see that it clearly isn't so I won't. I will take up the positive suggestions and try to become more involved (my 4th child is nearly three after all so I should get my 'lazy arse' in gear hmm .

Thanks MN. Job done (if I let the torrent of abuse wash over me, which luckily I have the self assuredness to do).

lilolilbethlehem Sun 09-Dec-07 22:04:11

Every time we have any event, people moan, groan and criticise. They don't give up their time to help with the planning. Hence the knee jerk reaction having been to a Christmas event today where people were only too willing to criticise, but have never, ever offered to help.

Mincepiedermama Sun 09-Dec-07 22:05:40

I can see how annoying that must be.

DoesntChristmasDragOn Sun 09-Dec-07 22:07:32

You're whinging about "lazy arses" when you labelled us all "disillusioned oafs?? hmm and I think you displayed some prime "knee-jerk vehemence and anger" in your posts about htis

SpawnChorus Sun 09-Dec-07 22:08:18

Wow - there seems to be a lot of vitriol directed at Spidermama. hmm

I don't really agree with anti-sugar rant, but surely the fact that Spidermama is usually a kind, helpful and witty poster should count for something?? No need to jump down her throat.

I'm sure most of us have got the occasional quirky opinion. And it's clear that she feels very strongly about her children's health and nutrition - hardly something to be condemned.

lilolilbethlehem Sun 09-Dec-07 22:08:42

Thanks, really, that's good of you to say. No reason you shouldn't make suggestions to your PTA, especially if you're not happy with what they are doing. If you don't say, they won't know and will do it again. All I'm trying to say is PLEASE go along to a meeting to do it and only complain if you would be happy to put yourselves in their shoes and try to find a solution that keeps everyone happy and suits the budget!! Honestly, it's not as easy as you might think

moondog Sun 09-Dec-07 22:22:37

rofl at this thread.
Spider you have to accept that the 'oafs' of this world don't see owt wrong with this sugarfest.
Next time,do what I do and let your kids have a quick recce. Lead them firmly to approved activities such as tombola and 'pin the tail on the donkey' and then yank them away sharply when they catch sight of the crap and bundle them into the car screaming while people stare at you in horror.

rofl also at Harpsi's rusty can of chickpeas and bottle of Piat d'Or (do they really still churn that out?
I was wel lfucked off with our raffle.I donated a jar of caviar (really!) worth about £60 and come the big night it was hidden behind a bloody tin of Quality Street! I ask you! I had expected it to have its own little revolving pedestal at the very least. angry

ineedapoo Sun 09-Dec-07 22:23:59

dare I say I would rather have the chocolates than caviar what an oaf i am

tigermoth Sun 09-Dec-07 22:25:05

So, what do you all feel about the Krispycreme donut company 'sponsoring' donuts for school fairs? This happens regularly at our school fair - donuts on sale and a competition to see how fast a child can eat one with no hands shock

moondog Sun 09-Dec-07 22:25:54

Wash yer mouth out Ineed!!!!! grin

Saturn74 Sun 09-Dec-07 22:26:36

ROFL @ "Toddle off now oafs. Those Fruitshoots won't drink themselves". grin

ineedapoo Sun 09-Dec-07 22:26:47

with full sugar coke only

DoesntChristmasDragOn Sun 09-Dec-07 22:29:08

When DSs have won stacks of sweets at a fair though, I ration them. They know they're not allowed to scoff them all at once. Sometimes I put them in the cupboard and they're never seen again... the sweets, not the children. I'm fairly militant with the amount DSs get to eat at once.

<<drifts off in happy memories of 4yo DS telling a waitress politely that he didn't like sweets... ignoring the fact that he would happily eat his body-weight in chocolate>>

aviatrix Sun 09-Dec-07 22:34:57

bosch Sun 09-Dec-07 22:47:42

sorry, can't read thread for laughing so much at opening post. Yes, yabu. I also manned a stall at the christmas fair - the kitchen! I thought you were being serious about poisoning.

Of course there is sweet stuff at a christmas fair - and a sensible parent makes sure their kid doesn't eat too much. I didn't send my kids off on their own, dh looked after them. I would confidently expect that if I sent them off on their own with some money they would have bought more sugar than you can shake a stick at, a load of old tat (toys) and then been as sick as dogs all night.

pinetreedog Sun 09-Dec-07 22:49:21

I'd rather win quality street than caviar any day

mumzyof2 Sun 09-Dec-07 22:52:00

This is CRAZY!!
My 3yr old is a vegetarian, and if I took him to a school fair, and let him run round unsupervised, and somebody gave him a ham sandwich and he ate then, then, mpm, you are saying that would be the SCHOOLS fault, not mine for not watcing him? Thats crazy.
Although I have to say, he wouldnt eat it because he knows what he can and cannot have.
Sugar - poison?
'I put a drop of sugar in his drink', doesnt have quite the same ring to it as arsenic, does it?!?!

mumzyof2 Sun 09-Dec-07 23:02:07

Oh, and the Fruitshoots comment? My son has never had one of those in his life, I just wont allow it. But just because we let our children eat sugar, it does not mean all our children are obese, hyperactive little brats!! NO sugar at all will just them want it more. A little in moderation is fine!
And if you are so against sugar, then why did you allow your child to have ANY at all, surely, being so against the idea, you wouldnt have allowed that?

DoesntChristmasDragOn Mon 10-Dec-07 10:54:52

mumzyof2, a better analogy would be if one of your (metaphorical) older children gave him a ham sandwich whilst he was sat on your lap and you didn't notice because you were chatting...

Blu Mon 10-Dec-07 11:08:53

Spidermama - it does sound as if your children see sugar and gobble it....oaf I may be grin but watch out , I am a smug oaf. I have never made a particular deal of witholding sugar, don't offer much, but don't make any deal of it...and at Ds's Christmas Fair, he just put all the sweets he aquired in his bag and didn't eat any - said he would save them, and later, asked if it would be ok to have one. I said 'of course'. The rest are in a tin on the table - within his reach, he knows where they are...he hasn't bothered. But I have to hide them tonight as a load of kids who have parents who treat sugar like poison are coming and they are always the ones who pester, badger, and even pilfer from the tin in order to get their hands on it.

Smug-preening-fest.

Blu Mon 10-Dec-07 11:10:10

ooh, I would win the Krispy kreme donut comp - hands down....arf arf.

batters Mon 10-Dec-07 11:25:28

krispy kreme donuts, where?

FrannyandZooey Mon 10-Dec-07 11:28:31

It always seems to be the accepted wisdom on here that children 'deprived' of sugar will gorge on it given the chance - I haven't found that to be the case myself. Ds didn't have anything really with sugar in it until he was at least 2, and sugary cakes and chocolate are still an occasional treat rather than the norm, but I haven't noticed him going crazy when it is available. The first party he went to, with shed loads of sweet food, he put one of everything on his plate and then just licked each thing once before putting it down - I think it tasted really weird to him, as it does to me if I eat healthily and don't have any processed sugary stuff.

He is definitely very keen on chocolate etc now, but like most children he also loves fruit and will sometimes say "this is too sickly" when given something sugary. I can't really recall him seriously overeating on junky stuff. I just wanted to point out that I have heard many many stories of 'deprived' children of 'controlling' parents, stealing sweets to get sugar etc, but I have never actually seen this happen, and it certainly hasn't been my experience so far with ds.

DoesntChristmasDragOn Mon 10-Dec-07 11:34:57

I think, like everything, it depends on the child. And possibly on how the parents treat sugary things, ie in a horrified way ("poison") or in a calm ("not very healthy") one.

FrannyandZooey Mon 10-Dec-07 11:40:24

I think it does depend on the child and possibly on the parents, but it has been presented on this thread (and usually on MN in general) that it is the inevitable result of being 'controlling' about your children's diet. I think controlling is a really damning word used in this context - surely we all control our children's diets to some extent? I really hope so, anyway

BahHumbugRubyRiojaNoXmasName Mon 10-Dec-07 11:45:25

This is a joke right?

Wisteria Mon 10-Dec-07 11:52:35

Agree with Blu, the more you withhold it the more it becomes the holy grail - I have never made a deal over it, my dcs do like sweets but are also quite happy without, in fact they still have stuff left over from their summer hols and regularly come back from the cinema without having finished whatever crap they've bought. They'll often choose fruit over chocolate.

YABU if you complain, it is your responsibility to watch what your dcs eat.

Blu Mon 10-Dec-07 11:55:42

<<ponders correlation between sugar intake and sense of humour threshold>>

Curmudgeonlett Mon 10-Dec-07 12:13:07

joins Blu in smug oafdom

I do think that if it is a joke, it is meant to wind people up with a superciliously superior attitude that immediately gets people's backs up. It's just so very extreme to talk of poisoning and writing complaint letters. I'm not surprised people are having a go

MsSparklingXmasTree Mon 10-Dec-07 12:16:50

Well first of all i like the way the op assumes sugar and sweets are they the bad thing you can give your children. I work in the food industry and you would be astonished at what actually goes into normal everyday food that you so ignorantly feed your children.

Years ago certain food was only good for a day or two, now though you can keep food (excluding freezing it) for a week. Imagine what goes into that to keep it "fresh" like bread for instance. Dp owns a bakery and his bread only lasts for 1 or 2 days because it doesn't have any preservatives in it where as other breads stay "fresh" ages. Hmm i wonder why?

I am not saying don't buy bread or other foods but the op seems so dam sure that because she doesn't give her kids sugar it means her kids aren't getting anything bad inside them. Dream on.

It's also up to the parent to supervise their kids, especially in a public place and especially when they have been left with money to buy stuff with. If you gave a dog money he would buy a bone so if you give kids money they are going to buy sweets.

I don't agree with kids having sweets all the time but in moderation it's fine and if you say no all the time now, when they are old enough they will just do the opposite to what mummy has said. Don't be suprised if you end up with a fat teenager who eats sweets all the time and says it's because "mum deprived me as a child."

mumzyof2 Mon 10-Dec-07 12:21:35

Well said MSXT.

Curmudgeonlett Mon 10-Dec-07 12:23:41

to be fair to OP, I get the impression that she is an all-round home-baking, fresh preparing from home-grown vegetables with added seeds, style foodie, don't think it's limited to sugar grin

MsSparklingXmasTree Mon 10-Dec-07 12:24:39

She's not my MIL is sheshock

Curmudgeonlett Mon 10-Dec-07 12:25:28

by 'it' I meant food concerns of course

TinyTimLivesinVictorianSqualor Mon 10-Dec-07 12:26:59

I think both franny and blu have valid points. My children do not eat tons of sugar. I cook muffins sometimes and they are allowed one after dinner, which they rarely finish (the muffins not the dinner)and dd (not sos sure about ds!) would not 'go mad' on sugar if it was available.

But it's the way she understands sugar, she is old enough to have had the way her body works, and the food it needs explained to her so she sees sugar as something that can be a nice treat at times, but can make you very poorly if you eat too much of it.

I think if she was told 'NO DON'T EAT THAT SUGAR, IT'S POISON' Then went out into the world as an adult and saw people eating it in moderation, and having no problem with it, she might be at risk of going crazy with it.

monkeybutler Mon 10-Dec-07 12:30:07

My little boy was sick after he ate all the chocolate baubles of the tree which were positined below 3 feet. I should have written to nestle about the amount of sugar in them but chose to hang them higher up instead. Then I ate them when he went to bed - just to test for poisons you understand

5GoldenFIMBOs Mon 10-Dec-07 12:32:46

My ds gets the runs from too many bran flakes, but is fine with sweets wink

aWorminaManger Mon 10-Dec-07 12:34:00

I went to a wedding reception last weekend. I had too much wine and I was sick in the night. I am writing to the happy couple to complain about them poisoning me.

seeker Mon 10-Dec-07 12:34:51

And, come to think of it, if sugar had this effct on children, the entire school would have been throwing up the day after the fair.....unless the op's ds children ate ALL the candy canes available!

Blu Mon 10-Dec-07 12:34:54

I only felt the need to flaunt my smugness to show how well it sets off my natural oafery grin

And gawds 'onest truth guvnor, I have witnessed many children who are not allowed sugar / swets / bisbuits making a turbo-driven beeline for them once they are out of their parents sight...but cannot say whether their parents have to withold sugar because of the enthusiasm for it (i.e a cause), or whether it is a result.

Actually one of DS's freinds treats all ordinary food in exactly the same way and will grab what s/he can, fill pockets and stuff down as much as possible - and that is a child who actually suffered lack of food as part of serious neglect - so i wouln't be surprised if there wasn't some degree of a result in witholding other foodstuffs. Sweetness is a natural flavour and composition of our food, after all.

Curmudgeonlett Mon 10-Dec-07 12:35:47

but surely that's an intolerance to wine and you should be careful to note down the brand of wine and avoid in future, make sure you tell people inviting you for dinner that you are allergic to australian (or whatever) wines wink grin

MsSparklingXmasTree Mon 10-Dec-07 12:39:50

i imagine you could also grow up with a an unhealthy relationship with sugar and things like bulimia could crop up. If "mummy" has always told you it's wrong and poison and you will get fat if you eat it, then in the adult world you see normal people eating it you could go as the other poster said crazy. You could end up binge eating the "bad sugary food" as sort a ^naughty treat^ then make yourself throw it all back up again so you don't get fat like mummy said you would.

My dd is very young at the moment but any sweet things are to be had after tea and not before. She doesn't have them everyday either and so she will grow up with a healthy relationship with sugar and see it's a treat to be had in moderation rather than "the bad" thing that is poison. If you don't make a big deal of it and draw attention to it then your dc won't see as something to be curious about.

seeker Mon 10-Dec-07 12:41:53

I'm intolerant of gin. I think it's the juniper berries, because I once fell asleep in the blazing sun at midday in a field where there was a juniper bush and when I woke up, my skin was sore and red and looked sort of burnt.....It's OK thought, because I'm fine with vodka. I think it's because it's a purer spirit....

monkeybutler Mon 10-Dec-07 12:47:20

I have deduced that not am i allergic to wine, it actually makes me pregnant. Twice I have woken up with child after a big night out......(fgrin)

aWorminaManger Mon 10-Dec-07 12:51:13

The wine at the wedding reception was <shudder> non^-^organic.

That is why I was sick.

seeker Mon 10-Dec-07 12:54:05

No, no, you've got it wrong, it's going to Ireland makes you pregnant. I've been there twice in the last 12 years and came back pregnant both times!

EricScrooge Mon 10-Dec-07 12:58:38

I am off down to Thorntons now with a few placards - those bastarding peddlars of filth that are poisoning our dear children.

How can they sleep at night?

A brick through their window is what they need and me dancing naked in the burning embers of the vile establishment.

DingDongJeremyOnVile Mon 10-Dec-07 13:04:33

Good thinking Eric - where better for a spot of looting? grin

edam Mon 10-Dec-07 13:04:43

whenachildisbored, thought I'd posted earlier to say I was being over-sensitive after a bit of a 'mare on another thread.

Blandmum Mon 10-Dec-07 13:37:42

'but surely that's an intolerance to wine and you should be careful to note down the brand of wine and avoid in future, make sure you tell people inviting you for dinner that you are allergic to australian (or whatever) wines '

This happened to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was given a 10-15 itemn list of foodstuff to avoid with one dinner guest I once had. She stipulated no Australian wine, because she was ' intolerant' to it.

Beacuse she drank it once, and the next day had a head ache and felt sick!

I shit you not!

You will note that she was a guest of mine once grin

BalletMum Mon 10-Dec-07 13:44:34

Perhaps it is because they don't have sugar at home that they go a little mad when they see it hmm

My kids have sweets occassionally (admittedly more chocolate than sweets) so when we went to the Christmas Fair they weren't that bothered and brought all the sweets home. They are still sitting on the kitchen worktop.

Is it not the forbidden fruit?

Curmudgeonlett Mon 10-Dec-07 13:45:44

<picks up MB's marbles>

I know it happened to you, you posted about it before grin .. did you not find it strange that it should be the exact same story?

<sniggers>

mumzyof2 Mon 10-Dec-07 13:46:11

Some people!
Id have poured some Australian wine into her glass whn she wasnt looking.

BalletMum Mon 10-Dec-07 13:46:41

Opps, just noticed the second page. As for wine my theory definitely doesn't work. We have wine any time we want it after the kids have gone to bed and I still drink too much!!!! grin

Blandmum Mon 10-Dec-07 13:48:12

I have a memory like a fish, and am constantly amazed that people can remember things I have said in the past! smile

at least it is a 'proof' of a kind that I wasn't fibbing! grin

Curmudgeonlett Mon 10-Dec-07 13:49:29

admission: had no idea who had said it, it just stuck in my mind grin .. cracking story of total nuttiness

Blandmum Mon 10-Dec-07 13:49:54

I still have two bags of halloween goodies, that the kids are working their way through.

they can have a sweetie (small) each once homework is done.

It works quite well. Last year it was well into the new year before they finished them all.

aWorminaManger Mon 10-Dec-07 13:50:34

Please avoid stories of total nuttiness. I am allergic to nuts.

Blandmum Mon 10-Dec-07 13:50:35

I bought New Zealan d wine, btw, just to be cussed!

starfish2 Mon 10-Dec-07 13:55:00

Hmmm.
I don't know the poster, so I am not quite sure what to make of this. But it has a whiff of troll to me.

Countingthegreyhairs Mon 10-Dec-07 14:15:34

Agree with op that school fairs should make a bit of an effort not to peddle sugary crap ... (well not exclusively anyway) ..

but remember reading somewhere recently that there is NO scientfic proof that sugar is instrinsically bad for you .... maybe some nutritionists/chemists could enlighten us further ???

Blandmum Mon 10-Dec-07 14:20:24

excessive long term use of sugar, if it leads to obseity in particluar, can give rise to type two diabetes.

If sugar spends too long in the moth it can increase the numbers of tooth and gum diseases.

Suar per se, in small amounts does no harm. And all carbohydrates are broken down into sugards by our digestive tracts anyway.

Too much is a bad thing, but the same can be said of water (drowning!) and oxygen (can scar the corneas). But in small amounts, I ',m unaware of any reputable data that show it to be harmful (nb not a nutricianist, but did Biochemistry at uni)

pagwatch Mon 10-Dec-07 14:40:24

Jeez - the bastards are putting it in moths now ! Sugar laden flying things - is no one safe
grin

Blandmum Mon 10-Dec-07 14:41:13

blush

smile

Sticky little feckers they are too!" grin

mumzyof2 Mon 10-Dec-07 14:42:21

Eek, moths are scary enough, but now theyve got poison in!!!??? What are we going to do??

myrrhthamoo Mon 10-Dec-07 14:42:35

I'll be alright then - I hate moths.

Btw, it's moving house that makes you pregnant - it's happened to me twice.

BahHumbugRubyRiojaNoXmasName Mon 10-Dec-07 14:42:40

As a keen PTFA-er, has anyone found any good, non-edible prizes for this type of event. We use the Baker Ross tut, but the aim is fundraising of course.

And we had a riot when we offered raisins at the school disco!grin

aWorminaManger Mon 10-Dec-07 14:43:58

What did Scrooge say when he saw the prizes at the scool Christmas fair?

Bah! Humbugs!!

merryberry Mon 10-Dec-07 14:46:31

I bow deeply to that, a WorminAManger grin

Blandmum Mon 10-Dec-07 14:52:46

Myrthamoo.....you are so bloody right. I moved house and I got pregnant too!!!!!!!

Spooooooooooooooookkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkky.

and they told us it was all due to willies!

Xmas makes dd's start having tantrums too.

And falling numbers of Pirates is directly linked to rising world temperatures.

donnie Mon 10-Dec-07 14:56:08

what a fantastic thread. I love it.

Down with sugar

Up with apples

kidney beans to be in my dd's party bags from now on.

aWorminaManger Mon 10-Dec-07 14:59:44

When we last moved house I mentioned to the estate agent that we were 'trying for a baby' (why did I do that? hmm). He said that moving house would mean that I fell pregnant -- and I did, about a week after the house went on the market, after trying for 6 months!

MellowChristmasEveryone Mon 10-Dec-07 15:00:38

spidermamma is not a troll she is rocket scientist!

Curmudgeonlett Mon 10-Dec-07 15:24:19

ROFL Mellow .. that was rather sarcastic wasn't it?

MellowChristmasEveryone Mon 10-Dec-07 15:49:03

she is!! [honest]

edam Mon 10-Dec-07 16:24:30

well she doesn't have a very balanced scientific attitude to nutrition...

myrrhthamoo Mon 10-Dec-07 16:42:56

No, it's nothing to do with willies - I mean, you're a scientist, you know these things. I'm not moving house again.

welliemum Mon 10-Dec-07 19:00:29

I too am a sceptic about the "if you don't give them sweets they'll go mad and od when they can" theory.

I've seen many children including ours, who don't get sweets, choccies or crisps at home, eating them at parties with enjoyment but quickly losing interest.

The big thing, to me, is to get my own attitude straight. I don't want them to think of this stuff as fabulous but forbidden. I definitely don't want them to think of sweets as rewards for being good or comfort when they're sad because I think those are not good associations for adult life.

I want them to think of it as quite fun, but just a small part of the pleasure you can get from food. I get much more pleasure, myself, from a good roast dinner than I do from sweets, and I expect they'll find the same as they get older.

tigermoth Mon 10-Dec-07 19:07:06

I'm actually feeling a bit sorry for the OP now!

My sons will eat tub loads of sugery rubbish at school fairs given half a chance. I certainly don't deprive them of sugar at home but we do try an eat a healthy meals - lots of veg and fruit, which they eat too. Actually they eat anything. Good, bad, whatever.

I make sure they have proper food before they go to school fairs, just to line their stomachs and (this is the theory) stop them eating junk out of pure hunger.

I don't blame sugar for OTT behaviour at school fairs. I think it down to the general excitement of the event.

I think the OP was taking on too much by volunteering to run a stall while looking after four children and hoping to monitor their sugar intake. TBH I think that's where the problem began.

And I think there's nothing wrong with suggesting more savoury treats for next year's fair. A letter to the PTA with positive suggestions would be ok, I think.

MsHighwater Wed 12-Dec-07 21:57:33

I have no problem with making a wider range of stuff available at events such as school fairs or whatever.

But sugar as poison? What rubbish!

welliemum Wed 12-Dec-07 22:16:27

I think the OP has now alienated everyone - from those who happily feed lots of sweets to their children all the way over to those who avoid sweets whenever possible.

That's quite an achievement, but sadly it's not helping to stimulate a reasoned debate...

cornsilk Wed 12-Dec-07 22:21:58

If you're running a stall you need someone to watch your kids for you. YABU

Danae Wed 12-Dec-07 22:39:11

Message withdrawn

cory Thu 13-Dec-07 23:41:40

When my ds was 2-3 yrs old, eating kiwi fruit made him throw up. So a couple of healthy fruit tasting sessions at childminder/preschool ended with him needing to be mopped down and have a change of clothing. Tbh I never thought this was that upsetting and would not have thought of accusing anyone of poisoning him. I felt a quietly muttered 'dear,dear' and a dash to the washing machine about covered the case.
After the third incident, I pointed out the connection to him and he decided eating kiwis probably wasn't worth it for him. So he stopped.
I agree that there is too much unhealthy food eaten today, every day- but if you believe that youngsters of previous generations (my childhood in the 60's, the time before the War, Victorian days) didn't stuff themselves with unhealthy sugars on special occasions like fairs and Christmas, then you can't have read many books. As for hyper children- ever read that bit in A Christmas Carol where Scrooge visits the family of his ex-fiancee ('not 20 children conducting themselves as one but every child conducting itself as 20')? These children are as hyper as you could meet in a month of Christmas fairs- the only difference is that the author and his characters don't think of it as a problem, certainly not a medical problem.

MsHighwater Fri 14-Dec-07 13:44:00

I remember watching a TV prog a while ago that examined (in a TV, not hugely scientific sort of way, admittedly) the effect of sugary foods on kids.

A bunch of kids were invited to two parties on consecutive days. Their parents, who were not at the parties, were aware that, at one party, they would be fed lots of sweets and cakes and at the other healthy stuff like fruit. They were told that they sugar party was on the first day and the healthy food party the second. In fact, it was the other way round.

At the sugar party, the activities were very low-key and quiet while at the other party it was all high energy stuff.

Before they were told the truth about which type of food was served at which party, the parents all said that their kids behaviour when they came home from the first party (with healthy food and high energy activities) was consistent with the kids having eaten lots of sugar.

Obviously, the experiment suggested that it was the activities, rather than the food, that had the greatest influence on the kids' behaviour.

purpleduck Fri 14-Dec-07 14:16:20

um, he is 2 and you let him take on the responsibility of deciding what he gets to have?

There is alot of sugar at the Fairs, but they are REALLY hard work. Months of preparation went into planning it, and sometimes it is impossible to do the games/lucky dip in a healthy way. Little toys cost alot of money (thus defeating the purpose of the fair), so sometimes sweets are the best cheapest option.

Would your kids have been as excited about the Fair if the prizes were fruit bags?
grin

Agree with whoever said that maybe you should join the committee

BTW, Well done for doing a stall
smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now