to think that trick or treating should be made illegal?

(184 Posts)
halcyondays Thu 01-Nov-12 15:22:24

Yabu and miserable.

YerMaw1989 Thu 01-Nov-12 14:32:59

I wouldn't leave a bowl just cause some heffer will take the lot lol grin

socharlotte Thu 01-Nov-12 09:56:48

it doesn't matter that it's 5 yrs old- it is topical!
in our village people only call at houses with a lit pumpkin. Lots of people just leave a bowl of sweets outside the door (but that would probably only work in a naice area!)

ChippingInLovesAutumn Thu 01-Nov-12 09:29:47

Well spotted Virginia.

Should have known it was 'wordsofwisdom' or not that resurrected it!

Mawbroom - sorry! I read your post but it didn't click!! Duh!

RichTeas Thu 01-Nov-12 09:27:35

Double well said madamez.

YerMaw1989 Thu 01-Nov-12 09:18:46

Illegal?! :O stop being a Halloween scrooge!!

and when do kids expect vast quantities of sweets? I have a bag of funsize treats and they take one each usually and we still have loads left over.

I wouldn't take my kid to a dark house though, and I expect them to have dressed up a little. When a group of 15 year olds in trackies turn up at my door I'm like jog on!. lol

VirginiaDare Thu 01-Nov-12 09:16:59

5 year old thread, folks.

ChippingInLovesAutumn Thu 01-Nov-12 09:04:45

Hecate - hey, don't go letting the facts spoil a good anti american whinge grin

I think it depends largely on where you live - if it's kids doing it, it's great. If it's older teenagers/adult etc making people scared then it's not on, but either get them told or call the local police station & report them.

However, making it illegal is just ridiculous.

I have always really enjoyed it but last night decided I can't face doing it as a group anymore. The older ones (my ds has sn) aged 10 charged ahead and just banged on doors, the younger ones couldn't keep up and one just sobbed the whole way round. I was the only mum trying to do crowd control and it was so stressful. Next year, I will just go with mine.

WelshMaenad Thu 01-Nov-12 08:36:26

We had a lovely night. We went to my mums - she bloody lives Halloween - and she decorated the porch up. We took the kids round her cul de sac, only to houses with decorations or yo people we knew that my dad had spoken to because they wanted to see my little ones in costume.

We had lots of visitors, all small, all very polite, all very appreciative of their treat bags.

Terrific fun. I'd be so sad if we couldn't do it. I think it's actually my favourite holiday.

carabos Thu 01-Nov-12 08:34:33

What I don't understand is where the "trick" element has gone. It seems that they bang on the door, you open it to find a couple of tiny ghosts /witches/ devils and a parent lurking behind the hedge.

Ghosts/witches/devils shriek "trick or treat" and burst out laughing. If you say "trick", they look at each other confused, whisper amongst themselves then ask the parent what to do. The parent then takes them away.

Really it's all about the sweets isn't it?

wonkylegs Thu 01-Nov-12 08:26:11

It was fab here last night and small children and teenagers alike were excitable but unfailingly polite.
Most of the tiny ones were in bought costumes but the teenagers had all gone to amazing lengths with home made costumes. Some of which were brilliant and very clever!
Doors were only knocked on if they were obviously participating (fair amount of spooky decorations and loads of pumpkins) and it's a really nice community round here with most people being sociable all year round.
Despite awful weather it was a lovely event , banning something that was so nice would be an awful (Daily mail) style idea. If you have anti-social behaviour report it but don't blame everybody for the minority of bad behaviour.

HecatePhosphoros Thu 01-Nov-12 08:22:48

It's actually not an american custom. well, it is, but it's not something they invented, they took it across with them from its roots in the celtic festival of Samhain, in All Souls Day, in scotland and ireland (guising)

In fact, it's probably because of irish migrants to the US taking Guising with them that they have trick or treating.

mawbroon Thu 01-Nov-12 08:18:17

ZOMBIE THREAD!

Very appropriate grin

fuzzpig Thu 01-Nov-12 08:17:44

There's no trick or treating round here really - most of our neighbours are young couples with no DCs, it's very quiet and not much of a community really. I feel a bit sad that my DCs won't get to do it. Last night we just had a movie night in the dark which was great but I feel so jealous of people who have the lovely halloween like you see on the movies grin

Our one young neighbour (9) had said he would be trick or treating and DD was really looking forward to it. By her bedtime she was really upset that she hadn't been able to give out sweets, so DH took her round in her costume to drop off a bag of sweets (turns out the boy wasn't in!). She liked that so we've decided next year we are going to make spooky biscuits or cakes and take them to her local friends' houses instead of ToT. smile

wordsofwisdom Thu 01-Nov-12 08:05:41

I think Trick or treat should be banned.
It's not a british custom it's American.
Do we have Thanksgiving or Labor Day, no, so why this?

People should not have to tolerate constant disturbances all evening.
If you love T or T that much, go live in the states.

It's actually called "Hawking" and is technically illegal.

onebatmother Thu 01-Nov-07 21:54:35

er.. yes, i think so polly. But nevermind, next year? Did you have fun, anyway?

pollywollydoodle Thu 01-Nov-07 21:00:32

am i the only mumsnetter not to have heard of the pumpkin rule before the eve of 31st

RedFraggle Thu 01-Nov-07 15:09:18

I hate it! Around here no-one seems to have heard of the pumpkin rule, even house in total darkness doesn't work, they just hammer on the door incessantly. Stupid "custom" to be following in my opinion and neither of my kids will be doing trick or treating in the future! Apple bobbing at home etc - fine. Disturbing total strangers in their own homes - nope.

onebatmother Thu 01-Nov-07 12:35:19

lisalisa lol soo funny! Would have loved to be fly on wall, bet little girl was thrilled! Next year you will have hundreds...

OrmIrian Thu 01-Nov-07 12:29:18

No problems here. Came back from my parents house about 6.30, dropped DS#1 at a party and then brought the other 2 home. Lit pumpkins and out one outside. Filled bowls with chocolates and waited. Most adults in the street were out watching the kids. I'd already been told by several people (without kids) that they were expecting mine to knock on their door. So my youngest 2 visited about 6 houses in the street where they were welcome. We had 3 knocks on the door - all of them kids I knew or LOs with grown-ups.

lisalisa Thu 01-Nov-07 12:29:06

Message withdrawn

FlightAttendant Thu 01-Nov-07 12:17:13

I had some teens round at about 9pm when I was putting the babies to bed. They knocked loudly and there were lots of muffled shrieks and such from outside.
I climbed onto the cupboard under the window and opened it and said, 'Do we know you?' which was met with some confusion, then I just said 'I'm sorry but I'm putting the children to be so I can't come down.'
They buggered off after that but I'd been reading my son a story and couldn't carry on, as I was too nervous about what they might do to the house.
I guess they just wanted cash anyway, all my lights were out and how the hell do they know who I am? If they did they wouldn't be asking for money...because I haven't got any.

I don't mind little kids but anyone older makes me quite angry. Unless we know them of course.

McDreamy Thu 01-Nov-07 12:00:12

It went reasonably well for us.

Took DD (aged 4) and her friend out for half an hour calling at houses that had put up some sort of halloween decroation (and some people had gone to great effort).[hsmile] Avoided any houses without their outside lights on.

Came home and answered the door to a couple of children who came to our house, [hsmile] and then, as we have such an early start here, we turned all the outside lights off and put the children to bed.

30 mins later we had a thumping, not knocking on our door, so we ignored it. Lots of shouting a and screaming outside, 5 minutes later thimping again....Dh opened the door and explained to a group of 15 and 16 years olds why we didn't appreciate their behaviour!!! [hsad]

starfish2 Thu 01-Nov-07 11:55:05

Big herd yesterday around my area. They only knocked on the houses that were decorated, or with a lit pumpkin or with a lantern, or with the front light on, and only from people they knew. No teens, only kiddies (and some of the mums were dressed up too!). All very polite, said thank you and went away nicely. All done by 8pm, then silence.
Dd was the smallest of the kids around, and was very pleased with every single sweet she got... and she was back home at 7pm.
In all those years that I have been living there, well before dd, I always loved it. Little ones nicely dressed up... I remember a little girl, just about capable of some speech, saying 'I'm a witch!', and some kids that had their dog decorated with lit-up red horns.
It may be a stupid tradition (its roots are in a harvest festival, wikipedia has a nice article on it), but at least where I live it is harmless and all of us have good fun...

Joekate Thu 01-Nov-07 11:25:54

I live on the top floor, so if any of the little buggers make it up all the flights of stairs, they deserve some sweets or oxygen. I'm not a fan of my ds going out trick or treating as I think it's begging but he went to his friend's party this year and had a riot - only went to neighbours they knew would want to see them and they had to do a turn before sweets were doled out. I remember in the dim and distant past doing this and loving it - had to put myself in his shoes and forget to be the adult for a while (does that last bit make sense?) He doesn't normally get sweets so was pretty much doing a wall of death round the living room for a while, but he was happy. Not so happy this morning with the late night and sugar withdrawl!

onebatmother Thu 01-Nov-07 10:55:44

Dragon where did you get your noise-activated spider - I must have one! And fast!

I think it really depends. \

We had such a loverly time with ds off with friends going to prearranged houses and me at home with younger dd giving out sweets to (incredibly polite) primary schoolers who had all made a big effort.

No scary teenagers after I took pumpkin in.

Lots of parents from school surreptitiously craning their necks around their little ones trying to see what sort of house I live in! (v funny)

But do sympathise with people who feel intimidated by scary thugs.

MrsArchieTheInventor Thu 01-Nov-07 10:39:27

You can guarantee the year that you don't buy chocolate there will be a hoard of kids demanding treats in return for not smearing butter on your door handle though. smile

ProfYaffle Thu 01-Nov-07 10:36:31

Every farking year I buy chocolate, every farking year not one single solitary trick or treater!

Just going to have to eat the sodding things myself <harumph>

WorkingClassScum Thu 01-Nov-07 10:34:22

My mum was staying with us and she still lives on the bad council estate where I grew up and she said the kids round here intimidated her cos they were so lovely and polite

ds loved getting his own sweets and also got really into giving them out, even though I had to top it up as he'd only put one chew in each container!

I did feel a bit sorry for the girl who was about 8 who was being taken around with what I assumed was her brother who was about 13 as he rigidly enforced her politeness!

Twas fun! Brought the pumpkins in at 8pm and were not bothered again.

amidaiwish Thu 01-Nov-07 08:47:35

i thought it was great trick or treaters started coming about 5pm we had loads! apart from one group of teenagers all were under 12, with parents lurking by the wall. Some massive groups though! all were very polite, one little girl even offered DD1 some of her sweets when we answered the door. it was great. At 8pm i had had enough and had put the girls to bed, so took the lit pumpkins inside, turned off the hall light and there were no more callers.

What's not to like?

kimisparkles Wed 31-Oct-07 22:13:03

Well all trick or treaters were welcome at the kimi house, we had pumpkins,and cobwebs and all sorts, a selection of sweets, fruit, and glow sticks and a good time was had by all. grin

bigwombat Wed 31-Oct-07 22:06:56

Only had 2 groups of trick or treaters tonight - hadn't got back from the shops with sweets in time for the first lot, but dp managed to avoid being egged. The second lot were polite and one little boy even asked me if the chocolates contained nuts!! I checked the ingredients for him and said yes, so he had to give it back! Now I'm left with a tub of chocolates and dp is on a diet... hmm

Sassafrass Wed 31-Oct-07 22:06:02

I had some lovely kids come around of all ages. I was pleasantly surprised how polite they were. They took one little minibar each from the bowl and said thank you and good night. My little girl thought it was very exciting to have them come around.

I am in two minds though about trick or treating, when done nicely at houses that show signs of celebrating halloween, pumpkins, decorations etc, I think it's lovely. I can't stand big louts of teenagers who don't even bother to dress up though.

Ripeberry Wed 31-Oct-07 21:47:34

Had loads of people round for trick and treat and one large group of 10.
At 6pm had the local pranksters knocking on the door, bascially playing knock up ginger.
He and his friend finally came to the door half an hour later and got some sweets.
An hour later they came back pretending they hadn't been round (he is a bit simple this boy).
By 7pm i went out with my DDs, eldest dressed as a witch with green skin and spiders and youngest as a black cat.
It was their first time doing T&T and they loved it!
Most houses had pumpkins out and one even had a quite scarry witch in the window with red glowing eyes...scared me!
At least i looks like we did not get any tricks, the only thing was the local prankster had knocked over my pumpkin but at least he did not kick it to bits.
Great sense of community round here.
AB

Bocoreepy Wed 31-Oct-07 21:41:33

...and, we met a policeman on our way, with a giant bag of sweets. He made a big fuss of each child and let them take something each.

Bocoreepy Wed 31-Oct-07 21:40:04

My dds loved it this evening. My neighbour actually knocked on the door and asked if we'd please come round as she'd prepared little bags for them and a hairy spider each. We only went to people we know and they all made a huge fuss of the costumes. Everyone walking around was little bands of small children with grown ups. I think it's great as long as it's not just teens wanting cash.

divamum2two Wed 31-Oct-07 21:37:25

we always had civilized halloween here. mostly little kids with parents. i made little bags of sweets this year for neighbors and friends kids, and lollipops and sweets for other kids. i think its for kids and i quite enjoy it,lets see the fund side of childhood. im sure my lo`s will want go around when they older. there was no t&ters after 7.45 which i think qite nice.

BelaWotzLugosi Wed 31-Oct-07 21:14:31

If it is in the spirit of things and it is good of course all enjoy it. But for some I can see its a problem for various reasons. My dh hates it. I don't mind. Kids love it.

Stick by the simple rule that a pumpkin on view say, knock on the door and there shall be sweets.

essbeeavenue Wed 31-Oct-07 21:09:52

Message withdrawn

essbeeavenue Wed 31-Oct-07 21:08:33

Message withdrawn

tigger32 Wed 31-Oct-07 21:07:31

I love halloween but I do think that teaching your children to go knocking on doors begging for sweets in exchange for them not throwing eggs at your house is wrong! There are other ways to enjoy halloween where those who want to celebrate it can and those who are sat in the dark with the curtains closed petrified at what might happen to them can relax.

pollywollydooooooooodle Wed 31-Oct-07 21:02:27

well we have only had one group this eve...admittedly a group of 15!...but all littlish, all going wooooooo and all of whom accepted a lolly and said thanks.....one of them was desperate to show his trick which involved letting dd pull his fake arm off...and that seemed to please everyonesmile

it warmed the cockles of an old cynics heart!

mumbleboo Wed 31-Oct-07 20:56:25

We've just had a set who took loads of sweets, and then another who banged on the door and rung the bell several times, 3 times over!!! (didn't answer that time) Who teaches their kids it's ok to behave like that? Little kids, people who've made an effort,fair enough. But i felt really intimidated, it's ridiculous. Ds is sooo cute in his spider costume though!

TheEvilDediderata Wed 31-Oct-07 20:54:31

God, there are some uptight feckers on MN wink

Any how, apparently we've got it totally wrong in the UK.

In the States, Trick or Trick means that the person who opens the door can give either a trick (a stone in the bag) or a treat (a sweet in the bag).

The ghouls on your threshold should have no say in the matter. It isn't within their gift to administer a trick. It is within ours. We've misinterpreted, as per bloody usual grin

Nightynight Wed 31-Oct-07 20:52:19

well 2 of my children went out with a group of friends, and they knocked on the doors of relatives/friends, and recited poems. They had a fantastic time, but our town is very safe, so I wasn't too worried about them.

We had a fair few round as well, AP was answering the door and giving out chocolate, which she thought was really funny, she is from Kenya and has never seen Halloween before!

Chipstick Wed 31-Oct-07 20:44:18

Why is it begging? I don't understand?

I loved halloween as a child and still do - my house is decorated, and the kids went to nursery today where all the children and staff have been dressed up all day.

Its one evening of the year, we had loads knocking between 5-8 but nothing since and hubby and I are left with masses of chocolate...mmmm smile

madamez Wed 31-Oct-07 20:40:17

Yes it's anoying that some people behave badly. But that doesn't justify spoiling the fun of a whole lot of other well-behaved people, from the kids having a whale of a time, saying polite thanks and enjoying the thrill of being out after dark to the adults who are enjoying the excuse of acting a bit childishly, dressing up and putting up decorations.
I have had about 15-20 round tonight, all kids, dressed up, all with a parent in the background, all said Thank you for a sweetie from my big tray. Mind you, took a short break to bath DS and put a paper plate full of sweets out by the pumpkin only to have someone ring the doorbell - they got greeted by starkers cackling DS and I gave them a quick handful of chews out of the packet as someone (in the space of about 5 mins) had emptied the plateful.
They seem to have stopped now, I might put the last few toffees and chews out by the pumpkin - but I get to eat the chocolate pumpkings myself

ELF1981 Wed 31-Oct-07 20:32:56

I dont mind Halloween, we have given out little toys etc this evening rather than sweets (mostly stuff DH has picked up at the market and is cluttering my house) but I am rather pissed off that it is now 8:30 and people are still banging on my front door, and when I dont answer (I made a deal with DH we wouldn't answer after 8:00) and people bang and WAIT and then bang LOUDER!!

southutsire Wed 31-Oct-07 20:32:03

Having gone back and read the rest of the thread including Squiffy's advice I shoved my remaining pot of sweets outside the front door and amended the note to ask people to not disturb us but help themselves. Have now had a succession of gleeful and munching noises outside followed by another ring on the doorbell to be greeted by a teenager (not dressed up) saying "They've all gone." hmm

Pinions Wed 31-Oct-07 20:30:17

FGS I couldn't really give a crap whether they gave us sweets or not.

I have SHIT LOADS of sweets/lollies/other crap at home as it is.

It is the theme of halloween that we are participating in and nothing else. DS1, age 3, absolutely LOVES the whole dressing up/games/pumpkin thing and when he is older he will not be going.

For gods sake get a grip.

chankins Wed 31-Oct-07 20:08:55

I would only take my kids to pre-arranged houses as they are quiet little, but since having kids I don't mind trick or treaters as long as they are polite about it. Have had four lots tonight, all with their parents present, and all very well mannered. Shame the kids were already in bed, cos they would have been pleased to see them !
No we shouldn't ban them, because then we would have to ban fireworks, and xmas decorations going up early, and all the other small things people get their knickers in a twist about. Saying that, I do feel sorry for elderly people, it could be quite scary. They should have a sign to put up saying no trick or treaters !

We've had a few round, they have all knocked instead on noisy doorbell ringing, accepted a couple of Roses each gracefully and all said thank you as they left.

It was lovely!

PeachyFleshCrawlingWithBugs Wed 31-Oct-07 20:00:20

Pumpkin rule stands- if you amke it illegal then kids cant go to friends (mine loved seeing their little mates) or granparents can they? Punish the lo's for the sake of a few prattish older ones eh? hmm

ADragonIs4LifeNotJustHalloween Wed 31-Oct-07 20:00:20

I'm now left with a pumpkin basket full of sweets I don't like. [Bah] Usually I buy chocolate...

morningpaper Wed 31-Oct-07 19:57:39

I've just opened the door to two six-foot people dressed with pillowcases over their heads and white sheets smeared with blood

SIX FOOT

I said "How old are you?!?" and they said, really politely in posh voices, "I'm 15!" and "I'm 14!"

I fell about laughing but I did give them a handful of sweets

FIFTEEN! I expect I will be employing them to feed my Mrs. Robinson complex next summer

MargeSimpsonMyAlterEgo Wed 31-Oct-07 19:47:59

Don't mind T or T kids who have made an effort and say thanks. Our house was egged about 3 weeks ago (made me wash the windows tho'!) but I think the local shops have been pressured to stop selling the eggs this week to obvious pranksters.

Next it will be the firework terrorists...

But Xmas shopping has already started in earnest here and I had to queueue for the local shopping centre carpark today (mutter mutter).

southutsire Wed 31-Oct-07 19:47:38

funnypeculiar - can you come here and announce that cos we've had our doorbell rung for the 12th time this evening despite being pumpkinless. I don't really mind, except we've got a big sign up asking people to knock rather than ring the very loud bell as the baby's asleep. CAN NONE OF THEM READ????!!!

ADragonIs4LifeNotJustHalloween Wed 31-Oct-07 19:46:39

I'm gutted that we've only had 2 sets. We have a lovely lime green flashing spider hanging from the doorbell as a sign we're Up For It (so to speak) and a fantastic black furry one that drops down on a cord when there's a noise. [sigh]

Isn't putting pumpkins etc up a sign that 'We're up for Trick & Treaters' though? Then only the people who don't mind are 'targeted'

bookofthedeadmum Wed 31-Oct-07 19:38:58

I think Trick or Treating should only be carried out on people you know. Not any old house with Hallowe'en decorations up. I used to take my dd to visit our neighbours dcs and in return they would pop around about an hour later. I wouldn't go up and down the street with her.

southeastastra Wed 31-Oct-07 19:36:32

what is the harm though, if reponsible adults accompany their children and only go to houses that display welcoming pumpkins etc.

totally understand that some idiots are out to ruin it for everyone but lets not let them beat us. yes?

ideamummy Wed 31-Oct-07 19:34:58

I did the same, all the sweets that we'd got that haven't been eaten and a load of rocky road I made at the weekend which is going a bit gooey. Poor kids, they'll be disappointed when they get home and open up their little packages!

Not read much other than OP ... but took the dcs (3.5 & 20 mths ... so not awfully menacing grin) up & down our street - planned to go only to people I know, but lots of people beckoned us in ... so we got to know some new neighbours - & there was a lovely firendly feel out there.

Of course manky tennagers spoil it very occassionally, but when done 'well' ...what's not to like?

bookofthedeadmum Wed 31-Oct-07 19:32:56

We've had about 3 sets of kids around tonight. Good chance to palm off sweets my dd doesn't like. Funnily the candy canes from last Christmas (expiry date about 2009, in case someone thinks I'm trying to poision the little darlings) have gone down particularly well. Talk about mixing your pagan festivals up though hmm.

kittywitch Wed 31-Oct-07 19:27:51

my kids love it. I think it's vile and common, like begging.
Yes it should be banned.

PatsyCline Wed 31-Oct-07 19:23:02

I was put off Trick or Treating a couple of year ago when I realised that some teenage boys I had given sweets to had then egged our big bedroom window. My DD2 had been seriously ill for months at that stage and the meanness of those boys really floored me - I cried my eyes out.

We've done apple bobbing and dressing up with the girls tonight and carved a melon lantern (don't ask!). That's kept them quite happy. smile

southeastastra Wed 31-Oct-07 19:22:40

well if you'd had as much fun as my ds(6) and i did tonight, you wouldn't see it as begging. it's a great community get together. children were so happy to answer the door, even if my ds's costume was a bit thrown together and he even tried to walk off with an entire bucket of sweets.

StrawberryMartini Wed 31-Oct-07 19:18:57

Good post.

Will have to read back through thread now to find Squiffy's hint!

Boogalooblue Wed 31-Oct-07 19:11:55

Have just read through all todays posts (have been out scaring little trick or treaters)grin

Thanks for the hint Squiffy - best advice I have ever had and will use that in future yearsgrin

What I cannot understand is how people can condone begginghmm, which is what it is.

I asked my children this evening if they thought it was right to go to a strangers house, knock on door and shout 'trick or treat' as a way to get sweets.

They said they wouldn't want people coming to our house doing it as they don't know them.

Yes my kids would love to have the amount of sweets that children are given on this delightful evening, but even they can see that it is not the right way to go about it.

hmm hmm hmm hmm hmm hmm hmm hmm hmm

StrawberryMartini Wed 31-Oct-07 19:07:46

And to think they do this on old people's doors as well - it must be terrifying.

StrawberryMartini Wed 31-Oct-07 19:06:47

I have had my front door battered a few times already tonight - clearly not by cute little kids. And they don't knock once and leave, they knock 3 or 4 times and bang the letter box. I have turned the lights off and am sitting like a prisoner in my own home, feeling very threatened.

It's fucking stupid and I have never sworn before on MN!

YANBU!

SueBarooooItslikeaWarzone Wed 31-Oct-07 19:05:58

yeah, I agree that it shouldn't be banned, but the lady with dementia who was terrified by some ghouled-up teens egging her house and banging on the windows is not a sniveller. hmm

SmileyMylee Wed 31-Oct-07 19:02:45

spoke too soon,

just had 15 in one go. They were very cute though!

SmileyMylee Wed 31-Oct-07 19:00:09

I'm disappointed that we've only had two Trick or Treaters despite hanging pumpkins and Trick or Treaters welcome signs all over the place.

My kids love them coming round. Earlier in the evening, they dress up and go to two pre-arranged houses. They then come back and we do bobbing for apples and 'scary' stories whilst waiting for the bell to ring. But very few tonight.

If I'm not careful I'll have a lot of fun sized Mars bars to eat!

Quadrophenia Wed 31-Oct-07 18:20:35

just got back from trick or treating, had loads of fun, followed the pumpkin code and the children all said thank you. I live in not the greatest of areas, council estate, and we have no problems here. Been here nearly 7 years and not been egged or harassed once. I did just moan at a tenish year old though who didn't say thank you.

madamez Wed 31-Oct-07 18:03:27

You know it's not reasonable to ban things just because some people are frightened by them, or offended, or have their ickle feelingses hurted. Being a sniveller doesn;t give you extra rights over other people's behaviour. You;re not going to like everything other people do. Get over yourself.

I don't do T or T, and have never taken my kids. They, of course, came out of school asking if we could go tonight, and I said no because I don't agree with begging and I don't allow them to knock on strangers doors any other time of the year so why should I allow them on one night??

UnquietDad Wed 31-Oct-07 16:42:43

Say "treat please!" and hold out your hand.

And then see the look of horror on their faces.

covenhope Wed 31-Oct-07 16:36:08

To the OP YANBU.

TBH I think all cold calling should be illegal, from the T or Ts you've never seen before in your life (totally different if it is pre-arranged between friends) to the JWs, to the man selling dusters, to the man trying to convert you to a different energy supplier.

Ripeberry Wed 31-Oct-07 16:08:52

My parents used to love doing Halloween stuff. Mainly because through most of my childhood we were living in Switzerland and they did not do that kind of thing.
My dad always dresses up for the local kids as a count Dracula and he hires a cape and everything and even has a trick guillotine for fingers and each kid has to put their finger in to get a treat.
When he first used the guillotine he did almost cut some kid's finger off as he had forgotten to slide the switch over, lucky it leaves the factory on the "safe" position grin
Tonight i'm taking my two DDs trick or treating to some neighbours, my eldest will be a witch, reminds me got to make a broomstick in the next hour of so and my youngest will be a ghost, but will probably chicken out when she sees how dark it gets...our streetlights are out hmm
AB

SueBarooooItslikeaWarzone Wed 31-Oct-07 15:56:13

MB, yes, it was a bit, so I got my atheist father to tie it down and it didn't bother him. grin

expatinscotland Wed 31-Oct-07 15:41:54

only read the OP.

now wonder the world is so miserable these days.

it's full of dour-faced saddos .

Blandmum Wed 31-Oct-07 15:40:18

That wouldn't be a Christian eating lion would it Sie??? wink

SueBarooooItslikeaWarzone Wed 31-Oct-07 15:32:33

I've set up the iron man traps on the drive for tonight, and we've tethered a lion to the apple tree on the front lawn. That should see 'em off.

I really don't think it is just misery-gutsness, though. I know elderly people who have been terrified by the whole thing, family members included, and a friends little girls was sobbing with fright a couple of days ago because of the ugly masks appearing at the window.

Tortington Wed 31-Oct-07 15:28:42

misery misery misery guts

at least buy tangerines - you sour faced old hags

LoveAngel Wed 31-Oct-07 15:27:17

Oh FGS don't be such a misery guts.

mm22bys Wed 31-Oct-07 15:05:02

I don't see the point of Halloween. My DS1 is still too young to take part in trick or treating, and I don't believe in knocking on strangers' doors at night to ask for sweets, but I bought some sweets today as I would rather go against my principles than have egg and flour thrown at my house. I thought about putting a sign up along the lines of "we offer healthy treats" but chickened out.

He will be going to his nursery's halloween party on Saturday, and he and his brother will be going in "costume" but this is only because I don't want them to miss out on a fun time.

I agree with the OP though that T or T'ing should be made illegal.

YANBU.

I do think the best way to deal with this issue is to have a code whereby trick or treaters only go to houses displaying a pumpkin. Then those who want to take part can, and those who want to be left alone will be left alone. The problem is getting people (especially unaccompanied older children) to stick to it.
I've just spend the last half hour carving our pumpkin and will be happy for trick or treaters to come round.

saadia Wed 31-Oct-07 14:03:19

To the OP, YANBU. I totally agree with you. I don't see why I should be disturbed all evening just so that some strangers' kids can get their kicks. If they like dressing up so much then people should have Halloween parties and entertain them that way.

LOOBYLOU2 Wed 31-Oct-07 13:32:01

I'm with you Madamez too ... this subject and poppies.....
My DD goes out with a group inc parents and they only go to neighbours who have a pumpkin, webs or lights outside.
Have to admit most of what she brings home goes in the bin when she's not looking.....
but she would be really upset if she couldn't go - the dressing up is the best bit for her!
A tip from a friend in the US is to buy cheap horrid "candy" then at least they don't come back grin

motheroftwoboys Wed 31-Oct-07 13:14:46

I love it and am going home early from work to decorate! My DSs think I am mad! We live in Gateshead. We never get anyone knocking on the door before "the night" and it is always just youngish children who have the most wonderful costumes. They knock at the door while the mums and dads hover at the gate. I get a new Halloween "thing" every year. This year it is a green walking hand!! Sadly, we couldn't get a pumpkin - all sold out! We will have candles everywhere, masks hung in the window, lights in the outside trees and a skeleton hanging in the tree smile. Last year our black cat Oska posed on a table in the window beside the pumpkin and a large hairy hand! Can't believe people begrudge spending a few pounds on sweets. Always the little, pre-wrapped treat things round here, or lollipops. Never have had anyone asking for money. There weren't so many children in our previous house and I was really disappointed if we only got a couple of calls. We now get about 30! - seriously! But it seems to finish around 8 at the latest. Also I am 50 but we certainly did trick or treat when I was little - with a turnip lantern which my dad did very seriously every year. Remember one year he rigged up a torch light inside it!

Riddo Wed 31-Oct-07 12:56:04

Have just printed out a polite notice from the police website asking trick or ttreaters to stay away.

We only get the teenage, not even dressed up kind here. They make me very nervous and I end up hiding upstairs with the lights off.

Baffy Wed 31-Oct-07 12:26:21

pmsl squiffy! grin

Squiffy Wed 31-Oct-07 12:17:46

For those who hate it all, the way to get through the evening is to leave a sign on the door saying "help yourself to sweets", and underneath place a bucket, empty except for one or two random sweet wrappers.... everyone will assume they got there too late and move on... grin grin grin

Next week I will be distributing tips on avoiding your in-laws at christmas, and how to avoid charity dress-down day in the office...

becklespookle Wed 31-Oct-07 10:30:44

I take my DSs out, we only go around our street and only to houses with either pumpkins or decorations. I completely sympathise with people who don't want to join in with it all and think it is the parent's responsibility to ensure that their DCs don't knock on their doors.

I think it is all good fun for the little ones although I draw the line at teenagers, IMHO if they are old enough to be out after dark without adult supervision then they are too old for Trick or Treating! I get in glowsticks to give to children that come here knocking too. Luckily the Trick or Treaters only come on 31st October here grin.

willbiteyourneckandmakeulikeme Wed 31-Oct-07 10:16:09

agree. its beggin. would never let my kids annoy the neighbours.

Beelliesebub Wed 31-Oct-07 09:11:12

Oh yeah..........
and last year we actually had a lad knock on the door asking for a penny for the guy... shock

Beelliesebub Wed 31-Oct-07 09:09:43

I must admit I haven't got a problem with trick or treaters on the whole, what I do object too is the constant knocking for the last four weeks and not even dressed up for the occasion....
I think it's acceptable to knock from the friday closest to halloween and then no knocking at all from the 1st of November.... until next year. hmm

amidaiwish Wed 31-Oct-07 08:34:21

last few years our trick or treaters have all been children and mostly young children with an adult lurking by the gate.
i think it's fun
we have a pumpkin outside so i think it's fair that if someone has a pumpkin lit up they are welcoming (even wanting) trick or treaters.

but let's see...
teenagers wanting £ - well they'll have to put up with a dairy milk treat bar (BOGOF in Tesco!)

oopsiedoopsie Wed 31-Oct-07 07:46:54

The pumpkin code varies a littel round here.

Pumpkin outside: knock

No pumpkin outide: knock, if theres no answer egg / brick the house unless you know where thier car is, then key / remove wing mirrors.

I have no problem with the kids coming round supervised or otherwise, its the 20+ year olds wearing a bedsheet over thier head that sorta ruin the experince for me. I spose its easier than getting a job though.

treacletart Tue 30-Oct-07 15:15:48

We shall be doing it for the first time this year but will only knock on doors with pumpkins. DS was only 3 last year and I felt too little to do it proprly yet but he sat behind the front door with a big bowl of sweeties desperate for trick or treaters to visit us. It was really funny watching 14 year olds in scream masks who would clearly have preferred hard cash being asked to choose what colour worm sweet they'd like by a toddler in a monster costume grin

ally90 Tue 30-Oct-07 15:12:21

I must say I resent the teenage kids coming round with just a mask on. Bit pathetic really. Think DH frightened life out of them the other year...invited them into house to see our halloween decorated kitchen (for neices...not us wink) Not been back since grin

Smallies...I like, yeah its begging, but they look cute. I do think it polite to go to houses where it is clear they are welcome. For older people some think it is scary...

And lets not forget...don't we get hassled walking thro town with charity boxes been waggled under our noses? It is a bit intrusive to those who have not asked for it...

so yabr (is that the right acronym?)

kittylouise Tue 30-Oct-07 14:56:43

I like trick or treating, dd has fun dressing up and likes walking around dressed as a witch in the dark, collecting sweets. All fine by me (though God knows why I have got the trick or treating shift, whilst DP stays in in the warm and gives sweets to the kids that visit, but that's another story!)

I never did Trick or Treating as a child - it was not popular really - but there was a strong tradition of bonfires on 5th November, and loads of kids made a guy and collected pennies, then turfed poor guy on the fire and watched him burn. Which IMO has a lot more sinister connotations, really.

OrmIrian Tue 30-Oct-07 14:46:41

Our local police are giving out posters that residents can out in their windows asking t&ters to stay away.

VoodooLULUmama Tue 30-Oct-07 14:45:03

oen year, i stuck a note to the porch door

'baby sleeping , do not ring bell, help yourself to sweets!'

and left a bowl of sweets out next to a pumpkin

i thikn there is a world of difference between supervised trick or treating, wtih young, dressed up kids, with adults with them, expecting one lolly, than big gangs of older kids wanting money or throwing eggs

OrmIrian Tue 30-Oct-07 14:30:57

"Plenty of time to be old and think the world is out to get you, why start now? "

My sentiments exactly lennygirl grin. I don't know if I walk round with rose-coloured blinker or something but IME trick or treaters are generally fine - mostly LOs with parents of older siblings in tow. No-one round here goes round shoving fireworks in people faces or up cats' bums.

lennygirl Tue 30-Oct-07 13:56:54

Message withdrawn

Budabeastie Tue 30-Oct-07 11:42:50

Doesn't happen here in Budapest! An American friend has organised a trick or treating session at a small local shopping centre. We went last year and it was good fun for the little ones.

When I was growing up in Ireland we did go around houses (afaik we exported the tradition to America and they built on it!). We would dress up in homemade costumes and knock on neighbours doors and say "Help the Halloween Party" and would be given fruit and nuts and the odd lollipop or handful of sweets. Always ended up with more fruit and nuts though as that was the tradition.

I would be unhappy about older teenagers demanding with menaces and it happening on other nights.

But I don't think you can ban it.

beeper Tue 30-Oct-07 11:42:00

I think many people realise that the world is not the same anymore. It is not safe just to walk the streets as a young adult. Children are being shot by children in our country nearly every week. More and more kids are watching violent horror films and think life is cheap.

Its sad but our society is getting worse and its not safe for our children to trick or treat.

Blandmum Tue 30-Oct-07 11:41:33

It is also very well establised in South Wales. My father used to go out on halloween, and that was in the 1930s.

Nothing to do with America

haggisaggis Tue 30-Oct-07 11:40:31

To reiterate what a couple of posters have already said - in Scotland, "Guising" at Halloween is a long established tradition - NOT something imported from US.
Children have to sing a song, tell a joke etc before they get anything.
Nowadays we do usually give sweets - but when I was wee money was much more usual.
btw, we used to have carved turnips (swedes to you Southerners) - a damned sight harder to hollow out than pumpkins!

Blandmum Tue 30-Oct-07 11:31:20

When did kids start going out before the day?

they don't round here

MrsNorris Tue 30-Oct-07 11:30:13

We were in a pub having a meal last tues and some kids in masks came trick or treating round the tables. I hate halloween it is glorified begging (or rather glorified extortion - give me money/sweets or something nasty will happen to you/your house/your car) If I did that to someone in the street I'd be arrested.
Once when we lived on army barracks they had an armed guard stood at the bottom of our road to stop local kids coming round!

Blandmum Tue 30-Oct-07 11:16:46

The nasty stuff doesn't seem to happen round with us. Thankfully. Most of the kids who come round are littlies, who have parents in tow. And the older kids are fine, and quite happy with some sweeties.

OrmIrian Tue 30-Oct-07 11:16:31

Never had kids come to the door and demand...or even ask TBH. They usually stand there looking a bit embarrassed and shuffle their feet a little until I hand the chocolates round grin We tend to only get kids from our street and perhaps a few others who know mine.

Not a problem as far as I'm concerned.

SeaShells Tue 30-Oct-07 11:15:46

I've had them banging on my door upto 10pm shock EVERYNIGHT for the past 2weeks. angry I'd love to know why the hell the parents are letting them do this???? It's started to feel like harrassment to be honest and have stopped answering the door. We love halloween and it's spoilt it for us this year. If they came on halloween night we'd be very welcoming and more than happy to hand out sweets in the spirit of it all, but to be honest, they can all just get lost this year, we'll do a little party for just the family and WON'T be putting our pumkins or decorating the outside of the house whatsoever. It's greedy and appalling behaviour and has really made me angry this year angry

I think VVVQV is right about where you live affecting what you think about it.

You'd have to be really miserly to think it shoudl be banne dif your own experience is small children only knocking at doors with pumpkins and not performing trick. (I hate it but I am really miserly and admit to being unreasonable)

However if you live somewhere where it's teenagers/older kids knocking on the door, threatening, smashing windows, egging stuff and threatening violence, then it's not really unreasonable at all.

Blandmum Tue 30-Oct-07 11:09:56

We follow the Pumpkin Code.

One outside, we knock.

None outside, we leave alone. This seems to be followed by just about everyone where I live, and it makes for a very nice ballance.

there is also one very godly family who leave angel biscuits outside their house, with a polite notice that explains why they don't 'do' Halloween. And very kind compromise, i think.

WalkingCorpseScum Tue 30-Oct-07 10:59:10

Misery guts the lotta ya!!!

kekouan Tue 30-Oct-07 10:42:21

That's 'devil' btw... I can spell really.

kekouan Tue 30-Oct-07 10:41:44

Kids are fine, but I hate the teenagers that come round demanding money.

A few years ago I was in the house on my own, I'd completely forgotten it was halloween (how?) and went downstairs to open the door.

I opened the door to a 6 foot devel, surrounded by minions... to say I screamed the place down would be an understatement. I slammed the door in his face and double locked the door.

I'm not a wuss, but if it scared me, what about the elderly people in my street who would also have opened the door to them... I should have called the police, especially when they were still hanging around my door 15 mins later.

GoodGollyMissMolly Tue 30-Oct-07 10:09:45

OMG it is just a bit of fun, the little kiddies really enjoy it.
fair enough if you dont like it, but to make it illegal
altogether just because you dont like it is unreasonable.

I used to get so excited at halloween when I was younger. made my own costume, helped my younger bro make his, then mum and dad would take us to family and friends houses to 'trick or treat'. Although we would never have dreamed of doing a trick.

I cant wait, I'm doing my pumpkins tomorrow day and I have all the sweets ready, I'm really looking forward to it.
grin

Where I live some supermarkets refuse to sell eggs and flour to teenagers in the weeks (yes weeks) leading up to Halloween. It has been mentioned in the local press as well that police patrols will be stepped up on the 31st.

The police in this area take a very dim view of property getting egged - it is criminal damage.

Niecie Mon 29-Oct-07 23:20:10

Somebody earlier wanted a no trick or treating poster.

Don't know if this will do?

I won't be answering the door either and rather resent that I have to hide in my own house to avoid this strange event.

onebatmother Mon 29-Oct-07 23:16:57

Are you the miserable old lady/man in an 80's horror film who comes to a horrid end in the first reel?

handlemecarefully Mon 29-Oct-07 23:16:03

I loathe it.

If you want your children to enjoy Halloween, go and organise a Halloween party for them you lazy feckers winkgrin

HairyIrene Mon 29-Oct-07 23:12:42

in scotland its guising
and you have to do a song or dance or poem or good joke
if not, no sweets, chocolate, fruit, whatever

what do trick or treaters 'do'?

lizziemun Mon 29-Oct-07 23:10:12

Only read opening post.

I hate halloween, trick or treating.

Why is it acceptable for children to knock on doors of strangers on this night and not any other.

Lazarou Mon 29-Oct-07 23:08:27

Does that asbo still stand if the eggs are organic?

unknownrebelbang Mon 29-Oct-07 23:06:56

vvvqv, it may well be indicative of where we live, although to be fair we've only had the one incident in 8 years of living here.

I said I don't have a problem with the children knocking, I just don't particularly like trick or treating. It's not something I grew up with and it's not something I've done with my boys.

And I am glad I'm out, at a friend's retirement do (rather unfortunate timing, lol).

VeniVidiVickiQV Mon 29-Oct-07 23:05:29

No, asbo's for eggers.

puffling Mon 29-Oct-07 23:05:14

I wouldn't ban it, but I don't understand how this so called tradition has suddenly landed here. When I was a child, not that long ago, trick or treating was some quaint thing you saw American kids doing on films.

Lazarou Mon 29-Oct-07 23:03:34

So for those that live in the hood, are you suggesting a halloween asbo?!

FrightOwl Mon 29-Oct-07 23:01:12

maybe VVVQV.

although we live in quite a rough area (by mn standards anyway) and have never had any problems with trick or treaters. most are taken around with parents present.

Lazarou Mon 29-Oct-07 23:01:06

Do kids still lob loo rolls as well?

unknownrebelbang Mon 29-Oct-07 23:00:57

pml lazarou! I like Crowded House, and I'm not ashamed to admit it!

cat64 Mon 29-Oct-07 22:58:13

Message withdrawn

FrightOwl Mon 29-Oct-07 22:57:21

thinking about it...they haven't ever had a trick on them! if anyone said "trick" they would probably run off! grin.

VeniVidiVickiQV Mon 29-Oct-07 22:56:17

Well, perhaps that is more indicative of where you live (and the other people that live there), rather than the 'tradition' itself?

We have lovely little trick or treaters come around. They never egg anything, they are just lovely.

The effort taken into their costumes etc is lovely. Worth a handful of sweets IMO.

Lazarou Mon 29-Oct-07 22:54:01

"Ach, I'm a mizog anyway."

and you like crowded house! That definitely deserves an egging grin

FrightOwl Mon 29-Oct-07 22:52:15

erm..my kids dont demand anything from anyone. they have been brought up better than that.

its a bit of fun as far as they are concerned, and the people we go to are happy with that.

2shoescreepingthroughblood Mon 29-Oct-07 22:50:17

I hate it. I end up giving sweets and still get my car egged. so it should be banned.

unknownrebelbang Mon 29-Oct-07 22:49:55

Ach, I'm a mizog anyway.

Funny how having an egg thrown at the window makes me more of one, but heyho.

My boys were that shocked THEY went out and cleaned it up for me, so every cloud, lol.

Demanding is wrong, asking is fine.

cat64 Mon 29-Oct-07 22:46:58

Message withdrawn

VeniVidiVickiQV Mon 29-Oct-07 22:46:46

Still think you are mizogs grin

It's just one night (it's suposed to be anyway) and it's fun for the little ones. Why should that be banned? i do think, however, that it should be strictly for the little ones, not teenagers.

2shoescreepingthroughblood Mon 29-Oct-07 22:44:05

mn makes me laugh. loads of threads about people not alowing their dc's sweets or to play out. but oh begging is ok

I hate it too. Where we used to live I did feel terrified by gangs of teenagers in masks and balaclavas. We had 15 groups knock on our door one halloween - how many sweets are we supposed to get in? Most of them were teenagers, not little kids dressed up, and we dare not, of course, say 'trick'. I did have a notice on the door but they still knocked, and the street was awash with flour & broken eggs next day. I felt we were lucky there was no damage to the house. What's bad about banning that?

2shoescreepingthroughblood Mon 29-Oct-07 22:40:44

it's ok to say oh if you don't like it don't do it............and get your house/car egged
it is blackmail

wannaBe Mon 29-Oct-07 22:33:44

it is glorified begging.

And why have we suddenly become so obsessed with halloween - far too americanized IMO.

I wouldn't ban it but I certainly don't think that people who refuse to open the door should be deemed miserable bastards - why should people feel obliged to answer the door to hoards of kids demanding sweets/money with mennaces.

MicrowaveOnly Mon 29-Oct-07 22:29:17

YANBU Boogie babie.

They totally ignore the pumpkin idea, and knock anyway.The mums glare at you and you know they'll be bitching around the neighbourhood that your a miserable person for not having stocked up on plenty of sweeties for their cute DCs.

Anyone seen a good sign on the net we could use??

nickigreen Mon 29-Oct-07 22:20:04

I THINK ITS SWEET ALL THE KIDS KNOCKING AT THE DOOR ALL DRESSED UP I LOVE IT

unknownrebelbang Mon 29-Oct-07 22:12:42

I'm just glad we're out Wednesday night.

Some little darlink threw an egg at our window last year because I politely said no to them.

I don't do it with my boys, but I don't really object to the little ones knocking (as long as there is a grown-up with them - there isn't always) but like others, I don't like teenagers doing it, where they've obviously made no effort and are obviously out for what they can get).

It might seem like innocent fun, and it usually is, but it can genuinely be terrifying for some folk.

SueBarooooItslikeaWarzone Mon 29-Oct-07 22:08:56

Hmm, I am thinking Miserable Bastard Week has some mileage...

Lazarou Mon 29-Oct-07 22:07:41

Is this what youre afraid of www.youtube.com/watch?v=faAjFmlW10E

eleusis Mon 29-Oct-07 22:05:27

YABU

Halloween is so much fun when you are a kid. Can't you be arsed to answer the door all night just one night a year? And you don't have to do it all night. You could close shop say around 8:00.

Lazarou Mon 29-Oct-07 22:05:02

It's something that children look forward to, dressing up and going out and terrorizing the neigbourhood. Mainly it's young kids with their parents anyway, and they go out reasonably early. Halloween is fab when youre little.

spookykitty Mon 29-Oct-07 22:04:57

I took DD1 out for the first time last year we only went to about 6 houses and I agree only pumpkin houses, then we went a walk around looking at all the houses decorated and all the kids running around.

One little shitdarling told me he had filled up three carrier bags

Lorayn Mon 29-Oct-07 22:02:23

Well said madamez.

magnolia74 Mon 29-Oct-07 22:01:12

I have no problem with it at all and my sister takes our older children for an hour on halloween to houses that are obviously welcoming.

I have sweets for trick or treaters until 7.30pm the a not goes on the door and any sweets that are left go in a bucket on the doorstep. Last year we had sweets left over shock

madamez Mon 29-Oct-07 21:59:04

Is it Miserable Bastard week on MN or what? If you don't like something, you;re at liberty not to like it, but wanting stuff banned that other people enjoy is just being a self-obsessed pain in the bum.

I just think it's so dangerous as well, talk about a paeodaphile's paradise. I don't meen little kids accompanied by parents but older kids that go out alone.
It's also an excuse for little buggars to go terrarising the frail and elderly. I just don't agree with the whole idea of it. It pee's me off when they ring the bell and wake up my baby, even with a POLITE sign on the door.

SueBarooeeooeeooooo Mon 29-Oct-07 21:34:10

We had two teenagers, dressed in sports gear and caps, knock on the door on September the 4th a couple of years ago and say 'Trick or Treat'. Dh just laughed like a drain and closed the door.

I'm not a big fan of door-knockers, be they selling, begging or evangelizing. But you can't really make it illegal.

I'll be taking my boys out trick or treating for the first time (they're 3 and 5) and they're very excited. We'll only go to houses with pumpkins on the windowsill/doorstep.
A lot depends on what kind of area you live in. We've never had teenagers in bin bags demanding money grin just cute little kiddies dressed up.

Pannacotta Mon 29-Oct-07 20:47:53

Bah humbug!
But actually I do agree with you, I don't open the door either, find the whole Halloween thing a bit spooky and can't cope with maruading youngsters, all too much!

FrightOwl Mon 29-Oct-07 20:44:49

we do halloween. we have pumpkins on the porch.

we have a store of sweets for "trick or treaters".

some came around just now and i told them to come back on halloween.

i take my kids out on halloween, to houses where we know the occupants or we see they have decorations.

its ok when its a bit of fun for the little kids.

teenagers dressed in a bin bag demanding money are different however angry

catsmother Mon 29-Oct-07 20:36:46

I made the mistake one year of actually answering the door having forgotten what day it was. When I explained I didn't have any sweets these cheeky little brats said "that's okay, we don't mind money instead" (.... and I do think it very brattish indeed to ask strangers for money). angry

I wouldn't ban it - providing the pumpkin thing is adhered to - but I won't be sending my daughter out to do it in years to come.

MadamePlatypus Mon 29-Oct-07 19:58:02

Its teenagers in scream masks coming around expecting money ON THE WRONG DAY! that annoy me.

Wallace Mon 29-Oct-07 19:56:08

We go guising here. Not trick or treating smile

Boogalooblue Mon 29-Oct-07 19:46:07

lol, I hid in the kitchen at back of housegrin.

Yes I am a mizgog, but I still don't agree with it.

we have a party at home where my dcs can gorge themselves on chocolates without having to menace the neighbourhood.

Althoughhmm, with our neighbours maybe I should let the dcs loose on them...........

peanutbear Mon 29-Oct-07 19:45:50

I kind off agree with you I have no problem with younger children dressing up and coming round we carve pumpkins etc and have sweets

However (bah Humbug) I dont like it when older children come round expecting money or lots of sweets I find if you give them sweets one night they come back for three or four nights and have to be told to go away

this year I wont be answering the door how nasty am I !!!

bogie Mon 29-Oct-07 19:44:38

stick in the mud
i don't mind the younger ones coming round its only once a year and a few lolly pops.
Its when you get teenagers coming round dh tellls them to p* off

TwigorTreat Mon 29-Oct-07 19:44:18

Pumkin rule rules IMHO

if there is no lit pumpkin /halloween decoration outside then trick or treating not allowed

I sympathise with you but I do think you are being unreasonable.

I hate trick or treaters, carol singers, in fact I hate people knocking on my door in general (except friends or family - you know the ones who are actually interested in seeing me not screwing me for money/sweets).

Dp doesn't see the problem (small children dressing up with cute smiles melt his heart - he's a soppy bastard) so we compromise and he hands out sweets and I ignore hte door.

Where we used to live, halloween was a case of locking door, turning out lights and staying away from the windows. It was fucking terrifying. (At fireworks night they had a fireworks fight up the road - throwing fireworks at each other, should give you some idea of what it was like hmm)

But banning it is going too far. Lots of people don't have a problem with it. Signs/pumpkins on the door as a national thing is a good idea though so not everyone has to participate.

brimfull Mon 29-Oct-07 19:43:28

maybe they saw you peeping at them through the window

VeniVidiVickiQV Mon 29-Oct-07 19:42:55

bah humbug.

You mizogs grin

Boogalooblue Mon 29-Oct-07 19:42:22

blush I meant axe murdererblush

Boogalooblue Mon 29-Oct-07 19:41:43

But they don't vixen.angry

Last Halloween I had 3 groups of very young children hammering on my door in the vain hope I would open it - not a chance. grin

brimfull Mon 29-Oct-07 19:41:11

lol at "expecting vast quantities of sweets"

Most people only go to houses with pumpkins.

Stop being so miserable.

themildmanneredaxemurderer Mon 29-Oct-07 19:38:48

yes you are unreasonable.
most people do what you suggest anyway.

lapsedrunner Mon 29-Oct-07 19:38:15

I agree

Boogalooblue Mon 29-Oct-07 19:37:43

I am fed up with children coming round banging on front door, shouting 'trick or treat' and expecting vast quantities of sweets in return.angryangry
angry

I really do not understand why parents think this is acceptable.angry

I would not send my dcs out begging either accompanied or on their own and cannot comprehend why other parents do.

Yes I have given up answering door after dark on Halloween.

If you feel you must take your little devils darlings out, could you please just go to houses where you are obviously welcome ie a pumpkin in window/on front doorstep.

Not where the curtains are all drawn and light out.

Thank yougrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now