to ask my MIL to rinse dishes after washing up with Fairy

(250 Posts)
geekymummy Tue 11-Sep-07 15:47:04

Sorry, haven't read thru whole thread, just OP.

YANBU.

Rinsing is mandatory chez Geeks. Don't want drinks tasting of washing up liquid.

Nice of MIL to wash up tho.

CPM Mon 10-Sep-07 07:01:04

I live in Japan and I'm often asked why British people don't rinse.
I'd always assumed that we did, but this thread has made very interesting reading.
Any ideas as to whether this is a geographical/ class-based/ cultural thing? I was raised in Glasgow and it never occurred to me that some people don't rinse.

The question about showering after bathing often comes up, too. The Japanese style of bathing is to wash yourself in the shower first, then get into the bath for a soak, and then have a final rinse off under the shower when you come out.
We don't actually wash in the bath.
Rinsing after bathing makes sense in this context, but I wonder how British people feel about it generally?

MerryMarigold Mon 30-Jul-07 13:56:10

Pippi, but you do have a choice with breathing nasty air - you can wear a mask with a filter! It's much easier than rinsing. And as for tea towels...please don't tell me you dry your hands on kitchen roll. Oh, the waste, the waste.

PippiLangstrump Sun 29-Jul-07 22:12:44

yes we do breathe a lot of crap too but I bet if you had the choice you would avoid it. so why not rinsing?

I agree it doesn't kill you, nor will probably do any damage, IMO it's just disgusting, I don't want to taste soap and other people bits of food when I eat mine. that's all.

also re: not rinsing after a bath... if you rinse the bath tub after the bath why not yourself? I seriously don't get it...

fizzbuzz Sun 29-Jul-07 21:56:50

Tea towels,,,,now your're talking. They are totally digusting

Meglet Sun 29-Jul-07 21:30:49

I cannot bear it when stuff isn't rinsed! I had many rows with my DP over this in the early days. the bubbles are there to trap the grime (I think?) and be rinsed off. I hate tea towels too. I just chuck everything in the dishwasher.

however I suspect she will not be pleased if you ask her to rinse. best of luck!

fizzbuzz Sun 29-Jul-07 21:14:06

I didn't know people rinsed dishes......has never ever occured to me.....

Also at work, the nearest sink is miles away, and often re-use coffee cup with no nasty illnesses.......so do all colleagues...perrhaps we are just sluts

MerryMarigold Sun 29-Jul-07 20:17:49

no rinsing here - and we're ok...imagine what we BREATHE every day walking along behind cars and going on the tube or standing at bus stops. Now THAT's gross - solution is to wear a mask and possibly a gas tank like Michael Jackson. In the same category is being 'pissy pants' about rinsing...

maluta2 Sun 29-Jul-07 20:13:39

I truly can't understand those of you that don't rinse. It is a disgusting, horrible, gross habit to have to ingest nasty chemicals plus bits of food and dirty smelly greasy dishwater.
Some time ago when I worked in an office my boss often offered to make me a cup of coffee, which entailed taking my dirty cup, washing it and filling it with coffee. I always wondered why her coffee tasted very weird indeed - could never finish it - until one day I saw my boss in the kitchen dipping my cup in the dirty horrible coffee/fairy water (together with 10 other coffee cups and suds)and draining it without rinsing. I almost threw up - had my answer to the weird taste problem. YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!

PippiLangstrump Sun 29-Jul-07 11:39:22

some will drip dry, leaving a trail behind that you cannot see, a bit like a slug does and some will indeed evaporate... quite a bit of it will without a doubt remain stuck on the surface.

it's not so much the soap I object to, although carcinogenic, it's the dirt mixed to it...

I am sorry but I do not want to have bits of soemone elses food on my plate...

legalalien Sat 28-Jul-07 17:36:13

TL - some of us are not sure - apparently it's because carcinogenic bubbles can stick to the dishes and make your tea taste funny. But we are in a minority it seems, apparently most of the US, Europe and the UK do the rinsing thing

TenaLady Sat 28-Jul-07 17:33:45

rinse, no I never have done. Whats that all about then? Just wastes water!

legalalien Sat 28-Jul-07 17:32:15

thinks: must not read child called it or might have nightmares.

Am going to try dishwash liquid

3andnomore Sat 28-Jul-07 17:25:50

lol at the Bubble thing though....don't think any of mine have ever drunk it....think I would have noticed...as when I refill it I tend to use straight washing up liquid, makes nicer bubbles...and in it's pure form it'#s meant to give you the runs pretty immiediately (remember this fact from reading "A child called It"...because that was what that nasty witch of a mohter did to "IT"

legalalien Sat 28-Jul-07 17:16:29

yes - you have to rinse after handwashing, else the clothes go crunchy.

3andnomore Sat 28-Jul-07 17:12:53

legal, yes, this thread is a nice bit of light relief in so many out of control threads..lol...!
Droile, hm, rinsing clothes in clean water after handwaashing does make sense to me, because the soap that would stay in can't be great for the fiber or the skin, and washing powder canbe quite an agressive thing...Enzymes and stuff like that.
But, erm, if you drip dry, surely at least most of that highly diluted washing up water will indeed drip away...it's not really gonna evaporate or anything, is it?

Droile Sat 28-Jul-07 12:51:29

I've just thought - when I (rarely) do a piece of handwashing (clothes), I always do a final rinse in clean water. Is the same principle/logic in use? Or do non-rinsers think that stuff slides off pots because they are hard & slippery? I don't have much faith in the spiel of washing-up manufacturers and think that what is in the water is on the pots.

Droile Sat 28-Jul-07 11:44:12

You wouldn't see the results of carcinogen ingestion for years and years....I don't know if it's harmful or not, but I find it yucky and usually decline other people's washing-up offers - they can dry instead, or do another of the millions of tasks around the kitchen. It's quite a personal thing. IME, far more British people don't rinse than do. I've only come across a handful of people who rinse and even when you've explained the logic behind it, they still don't seem to get it.

I rinse sparingly as I go and use the water to fill the bowl for the next batch of detergent washing. Dishwasher is bust ATM, but I've never used rinse-aid.

FWIW, I've never minded being told how to do things when I've done a chore at someone else's house. If I know they're a non-rinser, I don't rinse. If I know they like shoes off at the door, I take my shoes off. If I know they like their clothes pegged out a certain way, I do it their way, etc etc. It's not helping if it isn't done properly.
When in Rome?

legalalien Sat 28-Jul-07 10:53:31

erm, that would be TOO

legalalien Sat 28-Jul-07 10:52:41

I love this thread. 3andnomore you are clearly addicted to. Hmm, what else can we have a "differing views without tearing each others throats out" thread about?

My DS drank some bubble mix once (aged about 11 months I think) - seems to have survived it although it obviously made an impression - I gave him a bubble lawnmower thing the other day, and after studying it for a bit he said: "[name] drank some bubble mix when I was a baby, and bubbles came out my mouth". Was shocked. I always find it weird when he talks about events that occurred at a time when he wasn't able to talk.

Drank bubble mixture - I am such a bad mother! I promise, I do lock up all the cleaning products!

We have Frigidaire items in NZ, so Leati may or may not be in the States...

3andnomore Fri 27-Jul-07 21:17:41

hm...it's funny really, because over here coldwater sterilisation of Babythings, seems to be much more done , and now MIlton is carcogenic....alhtough, was told they took out the formaldehyde (the carcogenic part) due to laws...would thing the same goes for washing up liquid...
surely just because you don't rinse dishes that were washed in highly diluted washing up liquid is not compareable to drinking pure washing up liquid....
hohum

YANBU. I've had 'remind' my Auntie that the dishes couldn't be put away yet because they hadn't been rinsed. Washing up liquid is thought to be carcinagenic. We're not supposed to be drinking it. I remeber being disgusted that they didn't rinse at my dch's playgroup.

For the record, I wash up, stack on draining board, then rinse out bowl & fill with hot water, put all the dishes in the bowl, wash down draining board & re-stack to dry. Rinsing takes one bowl of water & no time at all.

3andnomore Fri 27-Jul-07 21:08:50

lol...indeed...

elkiedee Fri 27-Jul-07 21:05:46

legalalien, I've had female flatmates who dumped stuff in the sink as well in the past. My (male) dp does it now and it drives me crazy, he does do most of the washing up and it's so totally not the way I would do it that I have to stay out of the way and avoid seeing it, or we just fight. The other thing is that now we have a baby, that habit is even more annoying, as it's more likely he'll have to stop for a while after cluttering up the sink to deal with a baby interruption.

Who would have thought washing up could be such an interesting thread ?

LazyWoman Fri 27-Jul-07 16:27:59

I always thought it was just a "Northern" thing - my parents, siblings etc. don't rinse but they do dry off with a tea towel.

I've lived "down south" for 20 odd years now. I can't be bothered drying off as well as washing, so the dishes that don't end up in the dishwasher get very neatly stacked on the draining board - after rinsing of course.

I don't leave the tap running though. And I do shower after having a bath!

Spidermama Thu 26-Jul-07 22:11:42

That's true frayed. All that sexy film of glistening bubbles on shiney crockery.

FrayedKnot Thu 26-Jul-07 21:39:30

I blame the hands that do dishes - they never rinsed, did they.

Spidermama Thu 26-Jul-07 21:29:38

Meile as well. < sigh! >

3andnomore Thu 26-Jul-07 21:25:13

Leaty, seems to be an american model, and not available in the UK Or I just couldn't find it, lol!

And legal...now having to leave a Miele Dishwaasher behind...that is tragic

notasheep Thu 26-Jul-07 19:54:08

Sounds like Anthea is corrupting us
God,I hate the smell of Fairy.
I am one household who wont use it

amidaiwish Thu 26-Jul-07 19:50:14

oh my parents have that cutlery tray thing
can't stand it!
prob because my sister is SO anal and everything has to be "grouped" and facing the right way. ffs. takes ages.

Leati Thu 26-Jul-07 19:49:40

legalalien
That is such a tragedy .

legalalien Thu 26-Jul-07 19:35:50

I had a Miele dishwasher at our old house with a cutlery tray at the top that you put the cutlery into lying on its side. it was GREAT.

I had to leave it behind when we moved

Leati Thu 26-Jul-07 18:39:29

Fridgidaire....Professional Series
Aqua surge with speed clean

That is everything it says on it so I think that the type. It was recommended at the appliance store, I love it and so do my kids.

3andnomore Thu 26-Jul-07 18:20:56

Leati. which one is that then...I mean, not that I want a new dishwasher right now (well, I would want one, but well, can't really justify a new one, lol), but might come in handy when I do need to buy another one

I prefer washing up with a sponge, lol....but seeing that I only ever wash up once a day and therefore only use it once before it goes into the wash...not a problem I suppose....lol....oh and yes, drying them before they go into the laundry basket is important, otherwise the smell....shudder....

Leati Thu 26-Jul-07 18:05:03

I just bought a new Dishwasher with a garbage disposal at the bottom. That thing is a machine, everything is clean. You can put a yucky disgusting pan in there and 45 minutes later it clean. Oh and it rinses.

Oh and that thing with the dirty washcloth...gross...
I pull out a new washcloth everyday and hang the old on over the washing machine until I do laundry. I hang it because it damp and I don't want it to get mildewy. I don't use sponges (germ holders). And I always take showers as do most people I know.

3andnomore Thu 26-Jul-07 17:48:05

lol and me
oh and lol legal...well, seing that you asked...in my house I stack dirty dishes to the left of my sink, then wash in the sink and my draining board is on the right hand side...lol...no idea if this is to any etiqutte but am I bovvered...lol....
but urgh about stacking dirty dishes all in a bowl and filling that with water and wash up like that...now that is yuk!

legalalien Thu 26-Jul-07 17:03:23

and lots of other people from further down the thread but I don't have time to name them all!

legalalien Thu 26-Jul-07 17:01:03

That'll be Katy and me then.

And the combined population of Australia and NZ, and a to be determined (or geographically pinned down) bunch of Brits.

filchthemildmanneredjanitor Thu 26-Jul-07 16:58:03

i am in the gang of the none mental people who don't rinse clean dishes and who dry them on tea towels.

Katy44 Thu 26-Jul-07 16:50:18

"you're"
What is it about MN that fries my brain?
(Don't answer that)

Katy44 Thu 26-Jul-07 16:49:56

So your in our gang?
[sticks tongue out at the other side]

filchthemildmanneredjanitor Thu 26-Jul-07 16:45:01

i have never rinsed dishes after washing them. i have never tasted anything on them.

i also use teatowels.

you are all mental.

saggarmakersbottomknocker Thu 26-Jul-07 16:22:01

lol at this thread - over 200 posts on washing up!

Rinsing is wasteful surely? And rinsing after bathing is a step too far - just have one or the other. Think of the environment.

Katy44 Thu 26-Jul-07 16:01:30

MyTwoPenceworth, that sounds like a very good system.

Tinker Thu 26-Jul-07 16:00:39

I wash teh cleanest things first, as taught that domestic science

MyTwopenceworth Thu 26-Jul-07 15:58:59

I sort the dishes into piles, then wash each type and put them on the side. Once everything is washed, I drain the bowl and refil it with clean warm water, then I rinse everything in that one bowlful and stack them on the drainer. Everything clean, well rinsed and minimum water.

I hate going for a drink and taking a sip and tasting washing up liquid. yuk.

legalalien Thu 26-Jul-07 15:58:45

[last twenty minutes spent telling self not to type controversial question about who knows most about dish etiquette]

Katy44 Thu 26-Jul-07 15:57:54

LHS of the sink
good point, another big of mine is people who put the dirty dishes ON THE DRAINING BOARD - my db is clean for the clean dishes to go on
(I really need to go and get a life!)

Katy44 Thu 26-Jul-07 15:56:38

Oh no, have I created another great MN divide??

legalalien Thu 26-Jul-07 15:56:31

oops - got confused about the two sides of the debate.

Are we RoD and NRoDs?

legalalien Thu 26-Jul-07 15:55:23

Another washing up question.

Do you stack the dirty dishes

(a) LHS of the sink
(b) RHS of the sink
(c) in the sink?

Does anyone think it's OK to stack all the dirty dishes in the sink, and then fill the sink with water around them? I have had several ex's / ex flatmates (all male, funnily) who think this is OK.

I don't.

Katy44 Thu 26-Jul-07 15:55:09

No legalalien - I don't rinse at all and that's what us non rinsers argue!

edam Thu 26-Jul-07 15:53:05

I'd be very grateful if anyone else washed up! My sister is very fussy about doing things her way, though, so never allows anyone else to do the dishes in her house. Even when she'd just had a baby. Mad.

legalalien Thu 26-Jul-07 15:49:27

Katy44 - you dry up straight away, so the bubbles come off on the tea towel.

Care to comment Mrs M - go on!

MrsMarvel Thu 26-Jul-07 15:42:32

I can't believe we have a thread about washing-up methods!!!
Desperately trying not to get drawn in.

dissle Thu 26-Jul-07 15:37:47

Ha ha, this is making me LAUGH!!!
My mil will ignore the dishes in the sink and will rinse out her own cup ONLY!

But then again i would be most surprised if she did any thing else housworky in my house!

I would be delighted if she washed up, even if she didnt rinse!

Katy44 Thu 26-Jul-07 15:35:28

And I would wash glasses, cups, bowls/plates then pans etc in that order. Practically it's only ever glasses I wash.

Katy44 Thu 26-Jul-07 15:34:28

Come on all you "stack em on the draining board and pour water over them" people, what happens to the suds inside the dishes and cups?

3andnomore Thu 26-Jul-07 13:55:57

lol legal...you see, cutlery, especially that used to eat off, if I go by my mums "science" should be washed up as late as possible...because of them germs...lol...!
lol at what we are spending our time thinking about....think Xenia is right...must find a Job so I don't loose anymore braincells...lol...

sandyballs Thu 26-Jul-07 13:55:40

I think YABU. At least its only fairy left on the plates, my MIL used to leave great chunks of shepherds pie or veg after she had "washed up".

Brangelina Thu 26-Jul-07 13:53:08

Yep 3and, me too. The cleanest things first. All academic now I've got a dishwasher of course.

legalalien Thu 26-Jul-07 13:52:30

3 and no more - same, but table cutlery after glasses and before plates, bowls. messy serving and stirring cutlery as stated.....

legalalien Thu 26-Jul-07 13:51:35

just occurred to me that we don't have many dishes (ie make many dirty dishes) so I try to use the dishwasher only once a day. So maybe rinse morning and lunchtime, and then scrape in evening before dishwasher goes on.

[can't believe I'm spending my precious lunch hour typing this]

3andnomore Thu 26-Jul-07 13:51:22

now, anohter related question about washing up:
In what order do you all wash up, when you wash up?

I do it the way I was taught by my mum which is
Glasses
Cups
Bowls/Plates
Cutlery
Pots/Pans

3andnomore Thu 26-Jul-07 13:49:27

scrape where possible...however sometime when we had rice, sweetcorn, somehting with mincemeat or pasta...I may rinse....as if naything like that goes into the dishwasher it tends to block up my pipes

legalalien Thu 26-Jul-07 13:49:08

I don't run the tap when cleaning my teeth [brightens] .

think will try and reform my ways. Must scrape, must scrape.....

Brangelina Thu 26-Jul-07 13:48:45

You don't have to rinse under a running tap. You wash a dish, turn tap on for a quick squirt using a deft hand twist to get at all angles in the shortest possible time, turn tap off, wash next dish/cup whatever. I don't actually fill my sink up with water when washing anyway, it's usually just a splash with a blob of detergent on my sponge. Sink fills up gradually as I rinse.

OrmIrian Thu 26-Jul-07 13:44:44

Scrape.

OrmIrian Thu 26-Jul-07 13:44:24

I don't like wasting water. So I'd feel uncomfortable rinsing under running water TBH. I don't run the tap while I'm cleaning my teeth either.

legalalien Thu 26-Jul-07 13:43:15

On a related note, do we (i) scrape or (ii) rinse dishes before putting them in the dishwasher.

We're supposed to scrape to save water.

I rinse .

puppydavies Thu 26-Jul-07 13:41:09

wash in the bowl, set to one side, so you can rinse down the side without diluting washing up water. wash a bowlful then rinse in hot, only run for a few seconds, not constantly. rinsing in hot means it air dries quicker.

Brangelina Thu 26-Jul-07 13:21:56

We must do a survey to see if it is really a British exclusive or if it is just prejudice.

I'll start - In Italy, France and Spain dishes are rinsed. Ditto Sweden, China and Thailand (as far as I could see). Can't think of any others at the moment.

PippiLangstrump Thu 26-Jul-07 13:21:42

How could you not rinse dishes. It is disgusting. all the soap stays on them and the scum.

Doesn't one rinse after a bath?

It's the same principle IMO.

It would bug me a lot. I would not say anything and wash them again once I am not seen.

(If you are wondering I am everything but a clean freak - quite the opposite in fact - I just can't eat soap and scum, yuk!)

OrmIrian Thu 26-Jul-07 13:21:42

Ah...that is because you are organised 3and . I might just say that my washing up bowl is spotlessly clean. I get mad with my DH when he drains pasta and rice into it and doesn't clean it out! And I always clean the bowl inside and out every time, and clear the plughole and the sink. Cloths are bleached or washed regularly. I can't stand stinking cloths...

It does seem odd now that you mention it though. Useful for DS#2 to 'swim' his toy animals in.

3andnomore Thu 26-Jul-07 13:18:10

lol Orm, I empty everyhting out before I start filling the sink wiht water...like, when I wash up, lol!
Oh, agree with dishwasher sometimes being shite...but wiht us the problem is probably that we have an Indesit one, which are meat to be rubbish (only found out AFTER buying it, lol)....apparently Bosch and AEG and Miele ones wash fab...

must say, what get me far more "excited" then leaving Washing up liquid on my dishes is when people wash up with yukkie clothes, that have been laying about for ages around the sink and actually smell....yuk...I tend to put a fresh cloth and sponge on my sink every day, and just bung the used one into the washing machine...

OrmIrian Thu 26-Jul-07 13:17:21

My cousin has lived in SA for decades now. Can't remember whether she did or not. But then again I never say her do any washing up.

Brangelina Thu 26-Jul-07 13:16:15

Ah yes, but OZ and NZ are traditionally emigrated British Islers. I wonder if other Commonwealth or ex colonial countries have kept up the same traditions? I had a Sri Lankan nanny but she always rinsed, but that might have been from living in Italy.

evenhope Thu 26-Jul-07 13:15:54

Good grief. I've managed to live 44 years without realising you're supposed to rinse dishes after washing them

I can't believe so many people do this- no wonder there's a hosepipe ban every year...

MerlinsBeard Thu 26-Jul-07 13:14:51

i have never tasted wash up on my dishes. i don't over use it and i usually use shops own, maybe thats it

OrmIrian Thu 26-Jul-07 13:14:29

The washing up bowl is so that you can empty glasses and cups down the sink whilst in the process of washing up I suppose.

OrmIrian Thu 26-Jul-07 13:13:28

I don't rinse and I don't think I've ever tasted washing up liquid on my dishes. Now we have a dishwasher. And things seem to come out mankier from there - the amount of substances you need to put in the damn thing to get clean dishes is outrageous!.

3andnomore Thu 26-Jul-07 13:13:07

am german, and actually don't think all germans rinse...well, I don't anywya, and I know I can't be the only one...(saying that nowadays most stuff is washed via Dishwasher anyway, lol)...
As for that silly washing up bowl...yeah, what is all that about? I think they are disgusting, lol....and they limit the usual not that large space in the sink even more...
but the amount of times you lift up a washing up bowl and realise that the last time the bowl itself was washed up was probably before WW2....shudder....the gunk there is....
Now, I could see the point inpeople putting dirty dishes into the sink in a bowl, then taking the lot (including bowl out) and then proceed to wash up...but as it is...WHY?

Brangelina Thu 26-Jul-07 13:12:23

How did this non rinsing thing actually originate? Did the original Fairy ad proclaim not only soft hands but clean innards too? Was flavour a selling point in the early days?

MerlinsBeard Thu 26-Jul-07 13:09:42

i don't rinse the dishes. i leave them on the drainer. I rinse out cups/galsses before we use them but nothing else.

IdrisTheDragon Thu 26-Jul-07 13:09:08

Now we used to have a plastic bowl in the sink. Then realised it was a silly idea. So removed it. But there has been no change in our rinsing habits.

legalalien Thu 26-Jul-07 13:08:56

washing up bowl. I think they're called washing up bowls.

legalalien Thu 26-Jul-07 13:08:11

I don't agree with Brangelina re the UK being on its own - I've never seen anyone in Australia or NZ do a separate rinse.

also - what is this UK thing about having a plastic bucket thing in your sink, for washing up, about? Is it mandatory, and is it related to the rinsing ritual?

IdrisTheDragon Thu 26-Jul-07 13:07:49

I don't rinse. Except sometimes glasses. And then I always do it with hot water.

DH prefers to rinse I think.

We use Morrison's own washing up liquid rather than Fairy (unless there's a special offer). Maybe I should rinse .

Oh I always rinse, you can taste washing up liquid on dishes if you don't.
My friend never rinses and every time you go to get a drink at her house she reminds you to rinse out the cup or glass before using it..why not just rinse em when you wash em!

Not very important in the grand scheme of things, but bugs me too

Spidermama Thu 26-Jul-07 13:04:50

I do that in the bath too brang.

Spidermama Thu 26-Jul-07 13:04:26

I think we do what our parents did. I rinse because my mum did. Not all Brits are non rinsers I'll have you know. [umbridge emoticon]

Brangelina Thu 26-Jul-07 13:03:38

Re the shower after the bath, yes I do. Just a quick squirt all over with the hand held as the water is draining. Cleans the bath at the same time.

This Brit non rinsing dishes trait is a source of hilarity in most countries. Ask any language student to give you a horror story about their visit to Britain and it will always be "my host family doesn't rinse the dishes after washing them up". This is guaranteed to be greeted with gasps of shock and horror.

wheresthehamster Thu 26-Jul-07 13:02:11

I never rinse and just leave to dry on the drainer.
Dp always rinses ("because of toxic substances in washing-up liquid") yet will quite happily dry with any old tea towel laying around that could possibly have been used while bathing the rabbit.
Still, no ones died yet.

DrNortherner Thu 26-Jul-07 12:59:16

My SIL tells me off for not rinsing. My parents don't rinse either.

After dinner at my house once my Dad was washing pots and SIL drying, She told him off for not rinsing and he was well miffed off.

3andnomore Thu 26-Jul-07 12:51:16

wow. who would have thought though, that this thread could turn quite so contraversial ;)

geekgirl Thu 26-Jul-07 11:23:30

if you're so concerned about wasting water (and so unconcerned about the yukiness of it all), how about just wiping everything down with a kitchen towel or a baby wipe?

MaloryTheExciterTowers Thu 26-Jul-07 11:09:42

i got told off when i was a nanny in usa for not rinsing dishes

i think its a watse of wtare

Leati Thu 26-Jul-07 09:50:34

geekgirl,

I don't want to insult anyone but I think that is too weird.

morningpaper Thu 26-Jul-07 09:50:06

As if yellow teeth wasn't bad enough

geekgirl Thu 26-Jul-07 09:48:27

Leati, it is indeed as gross as it sounds [bleurgh] - lots of British people just wash their crockery & cutlery in soapy water (with the bits of food and grease etc. floating about) and then just leave it to dry without rinsing the manky washing-up water off.
Yucktastic.

suey2 Thu 26-Jul-07 09:46:34

I really can't see what the big deal is. If you are that worried, do you ever eat at your MIL's? They won't be rinsed there either! (I do rinse, BTW, but think it is a bit anal to be worried about very occasional possible ingestion of a very small amount of sterile emulsifying agent)

Leati Thu 26-Jul-07 09:45:17

Yep, I think it is a British thing. I know people who rerinse dishes if they see soap spots. Interesting though to see that posters are split on whether to rinse or not.

Katy44 Thu 26-Jul-07 09:38:59

mp
OK not sure if I'm allowed to 'advertise' but I'm going to risk it

hand that do dishes can be as soft as your face with mild green Fairy liquid

morningpaper Thu 26-Jul-07 09:33:47

Yes I would have a shower after my bath, if I had, say, rolled in a roast dinner just beforehand.

Katy44 Thu 26-Jul-07 09:31:14

And it's been decided that it's a British thing not to rinse

Katy44 Thu 26-Jul-07 09:29:28

Leati, no, it's just a brand of washing up liquid, would do a link but don't want to advertsie

Leati Thu 26-Jul-07 09:20:25

Honestly, I have never ever heard of anyone not rinsing dishes. So I am still trying to figure out is FAIRY a special soap?

MaloryTheExciterTowers Thu 26-Jul-07 09:19:58

if someone didi my washing up i wouldnt DREAM of telling them how to do it

if i was paying them then i would say soemmthing

but soemone whi is doing YOU a FSAVOUR????no way.

auntyspan Thu 26-Jul-07 09:17:41

pmsl @ this thread

morningpaper Thu 26-Jul-07 09:17:15

I ALWAYS rinse

I don't dry dishes (unhygienic - was brought up in a hotel) so let them air-dry - but they take forever to air-dry if they are covered in bubbles

I get really irritable if guests try to wash up in my house actually (unless at a party, in which case I just drink more and accept gratefully)

heifer Thu 26-Jul-07 08:51:35

can you just ask her to wash then but to leave them to dry themselves, then when she has gone you can pour water over them and let them dry again...

Or better still ask her to play with DD whilst you do it!

Leati Thu 26-Jul-07 08:46:03

WHAT IS FAIRY? I have never met anyone who does not rinse the soap of thier dishes. I always thought it was standard. Is this special soap?

WaynettaSlob Thu 26-Jul-07 08:39:59

The only thing I rinse is crystal - never occurred to me to rinse anything else. Will do a taste test tonight and let you know!

As an aside, I presume those of you who rinse plates after washing them, also have a shower after having a bath?

Leati Thu 26-Jul-07 08:32:30

If they are going into a dishwasher, I don't see why you would need to rinse the soap off, since the dishwasher is going to rinse them anyway.

However, if you are not putting them in a dishwasher and not rinsing the soap...seems strange.

Help me undersand?

kslatts Thu 26-Jul-07 08:22:45

I always rinse the dishes, but if someone who was staying with me didn't it wouldn't bother me. I think YABU.

LadyTophamSortingHatt Thu 26-Jul-07 08:10:01

is this a joke?

Katy44 Thu 26-Jul-07 08:06:21

no one has answered my q about rinsing by pouring water over them, assuming you put the upside down to dry then are the soap suds not left inside bowls, cups, glasses etc?
My draining board is clean!

cornsilk Wed 25-Jul-07 22:58:17

Manky drainers are FOUL!!!

nightowl Wed 25-Jul-07 22:57:41

now people who place cutlery upside down in the drainer. pet hate...all the mankyness at the bottom.

am still polite though...wash them again when they arent looking

puffling Wed 25-Jul-07 22:57:06

Aah but - th water hanging around in the base of my glasses is pure and removed by a vigorous shake.

Spidermama Wed 25-Jul-07 22:54:12

PMSL Puff. I must admit I like the sound of her, but at a distance.

(BTW I don't know anyone who doesn't put the wine glasses upside down to dry. Yes the lip bit touches the bottom but if placed upright the stale water hangs around inside which is worse.)

puffling Wed 25-Jul-07 22:51:26

My MIL is here too. She is ostensibly much cleaner than me, but still her ways irritate the hell out of me. She doesn't rinse, places wine glasses upside down to drain, so bit that touches mouth touches draining board and dries with manky tea towel. (I rinse and drip dry.) When she's gone to bed, I re-do them. She also uses a Cif soaked washing up sponge to clean window sills etc, so i have to get a new one out to wash baby's bottle and then hide it somewhere for next use. Today, she wore my new white sandals all day in garden and got cat poo all over them. i did mention this, to which she replied,'It's not cat poo, it's squirrel poo.'She also wore my jeans without asking and repeatedly told me how someone was a bit fat cos they were falling down on her.

cornsilk Wed 25-Jul-07 22:46:29

I'm the opposite. My mum tells me off for not rinsing! Life's too short etc!

privacynomore Wed 25-Jul-07 22:45:10

i was shocked stiff when i came to the uk, and saw english people stick their dirty dishes in fairy, and then just stick them on teh drainer........
how could they do that? leave the dirt and the soap on them??///

howeve i am older and wiser now, and realise that no one will die from ingesting a little bit of detergenty water.

i do think that it is unreasonable to ask your mil to rinse them however. it's the way she washes up. and if she is being kind enough to do them, then it is churlish of you to say she isnt doing them properly. either accept her ways. or dont accept her offer to do the washig up.

cornsilk Wed 25-Jul-07 22:44:32

But you must go well overboard with the fairy to get loads of suds. maybe I'm just stingy!

Spidermama Wed 25-Jul-07 22:43:06

Corny I always rinse to get the soap off. My brother doesn't and I see the foamy pile of dishes by my sink but I wouldn't dream of saying anything. How ungrateful and rude.

Sorry Oriole.

cornsilk Wed 25-Jul-07 22:40:21

Rinsing dishes after washing them? This has got to be a wind up!

nightowl Wed 25-Jul-07 22:39:49

i rinse, always. but if someone's helping me i wouldn't expect it...ooohhhhh help...yes that would be nice

Spidermama Wed 25-Jul-07 22:39:27

YABU. Big time. She must be very offended. Can't you just put up with it and accept the help? It won't kill you.

DoubleBluff Wed 25-Jul-07 22:38:15

Rinsing dishes eh?
You learn something new everyday.
( Muppetgirl i hang my head in shame with you)

You are so not unreasonable, it drives me crazy when people do this. I would have just asked someone to take a load off and I would have done them myself though. Luckily most people know I am funny about my kitchen and leave it to me

nightowl Wed 25-Jul-07 22:31:40

yabu and ungrateful.

Brangelina Wed 25-Jul-07 22:07:05

Not rinsing dishes is a (IMO very yucky) British habit. I've lived all over the world and only the Brits leave suds on their washing up. I've never understood the logic behind it tbh.

And no, I'm not a manic perfect housewife nor do I suffer from OCD. I'm actually quite slovenly, I just think it a bit more than foul ingesting chemical residue and other floaty bits. Or can someone perhaps explain the health benefits if there are any?

When we lived in the UK I always used to decline offers of washing up, unless it was from good friends who either knew about my "continental obsession" or wouldn't get offended by me explaining that I needed it to be rinsed. I used to stand over an old boyfriend to make sure he rinsed every last sud off the dishes . He later admitted to me that drinks tasted better out of a rinsed glass and evangelised about it to all his friends and family for years afterwards (wow, what an impression I made in his life).

I agree about the rinse aid, it is foul stuff. The odd times I do use it I, ahem, re rinse all my DD's plastic plates and cutlery. Most times I don't bother or use a dash of lemon juice or white vinegar instead. Works just as well but without that horrible chemical aftertaste.

pinkyminky Wed 25-Jul-07 21:35:44

My MIL NEVER does anything to help at our house, she just sits and wibbles on and asks for cups of tea. She even brought her own soup spoon and bowl to eat a cup a soup she had brought for herself when `'helping' me after csection with dd2. wouldn't eat my dh's wonderful homemade soup with a regular spoon, and she left them in the sink for me to wash. I washed up for her once and she held everything up to the light afterwards. I never did the dishes there again. So on one hand I would love to criticise her washing up, just to see the look on her face, but on the other, if you have a MIL who actually does things to help,maybe keep it to yourself. IKWYM, though. My mum is a bit chaotic in her methods, but she really tries to help and is great with my babies.
And BTW our house is clean, in case you were wondering
Use tea towels sometimes and I usually rinse the dishes, but we do have a dishwasher.
weelie bin- I occasionally rinse it out with disinfectant, but always wash my hands after putting rubbish out.

macmama73 Wed 25-Jul-07 21:10:03

lol, and I thought my MIL was strange for rinsing dishes! She is German though, so maybe it is a strange continental thing.

My DH sometimes wipes our DCs faces with a (used) dishtowel, not that is totally disgusting!

Oriole Wed 25-Jul-07 20:57:02

There's always a way to discuss a delicate subject I didn't said anything about how she did them. Actually, I always say "Thank you"

Probably, it's time to think about getting a dishwasher

P.S. Thanks for enlarging my vocabulary. I've learned several new words.

Katy44 Wed 25-Jul-07 19:20:07

I have tea towels but wash them every day, plus we don't wash up that much so they don't get a lot of use.
And I only use them to clean the floor three times then they're straight in the wash

tissy Wed 25-Jul-07 19:18:08

don't wash wheelie bin, BUT

washing up- of COURSE you have to rinse, otherwise your plates are covered in a mixture of detergent, water and food residue/ grease.....bleargh

dh didn't belive that i could taste the difference between a mug that had been rinsed, and one that hadn't, until I gave him a taste test and he agreed with me

no tea towels in this house either- very insanitary things.

Katy44 Wed 25-Jul-07 19:15:20

krang, good point!

Katy44 Wed 25-Jul-07 19:15:02

pans
PANS?
They are what dishwashers were invented for!!
IMO

krang Wed 25-Jul-07 19:14:28

I stopped worrying about germs on keys and bins after my PFB happily ate first his own poo, then some cat sick, and was fine...

(Not on the same day, incidentally. I am not quite that bad a mother)

Katy44 Wed 25-Jul-07 19:14:26

Very true - or when you lift it up to throw it in the recycling thing it dribbles down your arm
I never clean out my wheelie bin - it disgusts me. You can pay people to clean them can't you? What do you look for in the yellow pages??

MadEyemarthamooDy Wed 25-Jul-07 19:14:14

Just how much Fairy do you rinsers put in your washing up bowl? I only put a dot, don't rinse, and my dishes certainly don't have any soapy film or nasty soap taste on them.

Mind you, I have a dishwasher these days so only hand wash pans and wine glasses.

Beachcomber Wed 25-Jul-07 19:13:16

French people think it is very strange and horrid to not rinse dishes. For them it is the equivalent of not washing shampoo out of your hair properly, except worse because you end up eating the residue from the soap.

SpamFritter Wed 25-Jul-07 19:12:51

Wheelie bin - verything goes in bags. Scrub it out occasionally and I mean occasionally.

Recycling bin gets more of a clean. Why can you never get the last bit out of a lager can but the minute you chuck it in the recycling, there it is?!

Malfoynomore Wed 25-Jul-07 19:11:12

Precious First Born

Katy44 Wed 25-Jul-07 19:11:08

precious first born

i.e. the one who, when they do their first pooey nappy (rather than meconium) you call their daddy over to have a look, and both coo over it for a while

Wisteria Wed 25-Jul-07 19:09:27

I know I'm probably showing my ignorance but it's been bugging me for ages - what does PFB mean???

Katy44 Wed 25-Jul-07 19:07:19

Come on this thread is getting all too reasonable
Wheelie bins - who disinfects and who doesn't?

redtoenails Wed 25-Jul-07 19:04:31

katy you CAN give to charity but I'm too tight it gives you a voucher which you can either spend at the till or get dirty notes back!!

Katy44 Wed 25-Jul-07 19:04:22

ha ha
Don't get me thinking about that
Actually, I know for a man he's quite clean, has the same opinions about hand washing as I do!
In other areas I'd like to point out I'm not that bad, e.g. can change pooey nappies, do wash my hands afterwards of course but don't feel disgusted in the same way as I do about the toilets and wheelie bins. Is it because it comes out of my PFB?

Katy44 Wed 25-Jul-07 19:02:36

WHat does that do redtoenails? Does it go to charity? Good idea, I'll collect them tonight as I'm going tomorrow

redtoenails Wed 25-Jul-07 19:02:33

katy you should see what else he touches without washing his hands

Katy44 Wed 25-Jul-07 19:01:46

Was in the bakery the other day - she pulled off my rolls with her hands and put them in the bag then took my money, no gloves.
AIBU in finding that horrible? (I genuinely want to know if that is disgusting or I am being obsessive again)

redtoenails Wed 25-Jul-07 19:01:27

katy put them in a jar and take them to a coinstar machine at your nearest supermarket!

Katy44 Wed 25-Jul-07 19:00:09

I think my issue with keys is because my DH touches them after moving the wheelie bin without washing his hand in between, understandably, otherwise he'd be dashing in and out and would be accused of being as obsessive as me

Twiglett Wed 25-Jul-07 18:59:57

who the hell refers to washing up liquid by brand name???

Katy44 Wed 25-Jul-07 18:58:52

I will do, we have loads of old 1s and 2s lying around
notes are cleanish, I'm afraid

greensleeves Wed 25-Jul-07 18:58:41

never thought of it with keys, but money - urgh god, yes. Greasy sweaty thumbprinty notes <puke> and as for coins....especially coppers.....have you ever tasted one?

<furious hand-washing, like Lady MacBeth>

redtoenails Wed 25-Jul-07 18:58:04

katy sent me your dirty money if you like!

Katy44 Wed 25-Jul-07 18:57:39

I don't use rinse aid, was told I didn't need to, what exactly does it do??

Katy44 Wed 25-Jul-07 18:57:01

OK this seems like the thread to confess my little bit of obsessiveness on (apart from the obvious bins and toilets)
Keys
Full of germs, disgusting things. Yet people leave them about, on beds, let kids put them in their mouths etc. (Money is the same). Does anyone agree or AIBU?

MarshaBrady Wed 25-Jul-07 18:56:00

Yabu. agree diy

iota Wed 25-Jul-07 18:55:41
iota Wed 25-Jul-07 18:54:35

normal rinse aid is full of petroluem producs BTW - I still use it though

Rowlers Wed 25-Jul-07 18:54:02

Anyway, rinsing dishes? Are you having a laugh? It'll be covering every surface with "anti-bacterial spray" next. Not me, ta.

Oriole Wed 25-Jul-07 18:53:10

Thanks for your thoughts.

We usually do them ourselves, but sometimes we are tired (our LO is 24 weeks old and we've just started solids). Also, it seems a bit strange not to accept her help.

I'd rather she played with LO

P.S. Sorry, I don't have time to be on-line all the time.

Wisteria Wed 25-Jul-07 18:53:04

Muppetgirl -

1 - You have survived this long haven't you, and you seem fairly normal to me!

2 - Do you really have time to add things to your chore list, cos I know I haven't!

potoroo Wed 25-Jul-07 18:52:32

I rinse mine, but that is because my father has instilled me with a paranoid fear of ingesting detergent residue.

Could you just pour some water over at the end?

Katy44 Wed 25-Jul-07 18:51:47

yeah, I have to agree with that

bundle Wed 25-Jul-07 18:49:21

I think you should be grateful if someone does something for you with a kind heart (even if they don't come up to your exacting standards)

muppetgirl Wed 25-Jul-07 18:48:43

...I'm still pondering the v. important

to rinse or not to rinse question....

HuwEdwards Wed 25-Jul-07 18:47:20

YABU - DIY

Katy44 Wed 25-Jul-07 18:47:08

bundle, no it's not, but I was making a point to people who say you should be grateful she helped at all - in this case maybe it was an overreation, but that's not true of all situations where someone was helping, is it?
BTW I hope everyone realises I'm bored and not starting a fight - I refuse to get into fisticuffs over fairy!
(Maybe that should be the new slogan?)

redtoenails Wed 25-Jul-07 18:46:35

could be right wanna - like I said only one post ever by the op and she hasn't replied yet. Unless she's lying dead on the kitchen floor from washing up liquid poisoning

Rowlers Wed 25-Jul-07 18:45:35

Wouldn't dream of telling anyone how to wash up - that would be unforgivably rude.
How very decent of MIL to wash up for you - be grateful!
(And try Ecover - more environmentally friendly. )

wannaBe Wed 25-Jul-07 18:44:18

or how about "my mother in law offered to wash up and I was shocked when I saw she didn't rince! so I asked my friends and they all said "oh but don't you know? with this new fairy you don't have to rince!"".

it's a survey for an advert i tell ya!

muppetgirl Wed 25-Jul-07 18:44:18

This is why I signed up to mnet. To learn about all the things I didn't know. I have never rinsed and didn't actually know I needed too.....

Now I'm in a quandry, to rinse or not to rinse. Now that is a question.

I also have tea towels (and use them ) but they are changed everyday.

The thing I really hate is dirty/smelly dishcloths that people are quite happy to use to 'clean' their dishes and wipe their surfaces down with. Dh never seems to notice the vile smell of the kitchen after he has wiped using a dishcloth that has been left in stale water all day/night.

I leave my dishcloth, brush and nail brush in the little sink soaking on bleach wach night. Or at least sterilising tablets.

bundle Wed 25-Jul-07 18:43:50

but dog poo is not a bit of detergent

Katy44 Wed 25-Jul-07 18:42:58

OK, so IABU!
I just know that it would really bother me if, say, someone washed up in really old, dirty water, I wouldn't be able to get it out of my mind when I was using the dishes. Or used a cloth we used for mopping up dog poo to wash them (not that we have those hanging round by the sink, you understand, it's hypothetical!)

redtoenails Wed 25-Jul-07 18:42:44

OPs first post! strange one

Mercy Wed 25-Jul-07 18:40:06

SD - apparently the OP has already had a word with her MIL - which is why I asked how did MIL react!

itbird Wed 25-Jul-07 18:38:27

katy44 yes jobs done properly are great and a real help like laying new carpets, painting etc, boring everyday jobs washing up, ironing, loading dishwasher, i couldnt give a hoot as long as the majority of work has been achieved a little tweaking here and there in good grace should be the order of the day, not publicly announcing that the woman is slovenly!!1

littlemissbossy Wed 25-Jul-07 18:37:58

You should think yourself lucky your MIL washes up IMO
my MIL just sits on her lazy arse when she comes to my house

redtoenails Wed 25-Jul-07 18:37:47

put me off using fairy I never have this problem with Tesco's own!!! "every little helps"

Katy44 Wed 25-Jul-07 18:37:43

bundle - fairy nuff!
WannaBe

SoupDragon Wed 25-Jul-07 18:37:19

Not unreasonable at all. Please go ahead and tell her. Then come back and share her response with us because I can well imagine what it would be and it should be very entertaining. Personally I'd tell you to f off and do your own dishes if you said it to me.

Mercy Wed 25-Jul-07 18:37:10

katy - the only example I can think of is someone who really can't cook or doesn't like cooking or who gets in a tizz when cooking for others (eg, my mum)

wannaBe Wed 25-Jul-07 18:36:20

is this for real?

Or is it just an advert for fairy perhaps? "my mother in law does the washing-up, she does it in fairy and doesn't rince the dishes. It's not unreasonable of course as fairy's new zesty formula is designed to just slide off the plates". note the op's consistent use of the word "fairy" both in the subject line and the op, .

redtoenails Wed 25-Jul-07 18:36:19

perhaps the mil is trying to wind up the crazy dil

Wisteria Wed 25-Jul-07 18:35:44

Possibly windows if they looked worse afterwards but there's no way I would moan/ have words with someone who had offered to help me! Just plain rude IMO! Especially with a MIL! - Think of all the things MIL's can do to upset you...... my favourite is - Oooh xxx is looking a bit thin, isn't she feeding you??? !

bundle Wed 25-Jul-07 18:35:24

katy 44

no

itbird Wed 25-Jul-07 18:34:34

perhaps the op has ocd in regards to cleaning was she standing there watching the poor woman inwardly wanting to grab the bowls and rinse them herself - funny stuff happens can you imnagine the poor womans face when the op told her she wasnt doing it to set standards bet she howled with laughter which i guess is why she ignores your previous warning - you one crazy biatch

Katy44 Wed 25-Jul-07 18:32:46

To the people who say she is being unreasonable, are there no jobs that when done 'badly' in your opinion would be worse that just not doing it at all?

redtoenails Wed 25-Jul-07 18:31:41

easily solved DO YOUR OWN WASHING UP!

bundle Wed 25-Jul-07 18:31:15

yabu

Mercy Wed 25-Jul-07 18:30:16

What did your MIL's say/do when you had a word with her?

babygrand Wed 25-Jul-07 18:30:13

YANBU - I always rinse!

Wisteria Wed 25-Jul-07 18:27:20

She can come here after she's been to yours!

Honestly, I knew a work colleague once who wouldn't eat anything home made (unless by her or her Mum) and wouldn't choose her own fruit from supermarket if it was loose as others may have touched it first. Serious issues there which I accept completely but what annoyed me was that she judged everyone else by her own standards which, you have to admit, were a little OTT!

redtoenails Wed 25-Jul-07 18:26:09

ffs to op !!!! yyabu

Katy44 Wed 25-Jul-07 18:26:02

ah but once she's put them away how do you identify the unrinsed ones?

itbird Wed 25-Jul-07 18:24:16

Yes you are being unreasonable accept her help and rinse them later, would love someone to help me - think you need to focus on something else its really not the crime of the century - poor woman !! send her round here no soap police here thanks very much

Katy44 Wed 25-Jul-07 18:23:59

Everyone who doesn't mind eating/drinking off unrinsed cups and plates round to mine for a coffee

Katy44 Wed 25-Jul-07 18:23:21

Greensleeves - what a very good post!

scattyspice Wed 25-Jul-07 18:22:37

Is this a piss take?

pointydog Wed 25-Jul-07 18:20:30

greeners, you're being so reasonable - you'll spoil the fun

greensleeves Wed 25-Jul-07 18:18:53

It's the sort of thing that really grates though, isn't it? I don't want to eat off a plate that I know has got a film of washing-up liquid and scum on it.

I'd gently say something, or just don't let her wash up and tell her why if she really pushes the issue. I wouldn't just take it, no. Some things I would, but this one would really irk me.

I imagine different things would irk different people, and in true MN fashion we are all going to applaud and validate the posters whose peccadilloes coincide nicely with our own, and curl our lips at those whose don't

Wisteria Wed 25-Jul-07 18:17:43

Personally I think you're all anal and have too much time to worry about the crap in life so should all come over to my house!

Imagine how you'd feel if you were reading this thread from Tewkesbury........

Blandmum Wed 25-Jul-07 18:17:16

TBH, if someone critiqued my dish washing I'd think, 'Sod 'em, they can do it themselves then'

Katy44 Wed 25-Jul-07 18:15:34

Just to be completely inconsistent, although I don't rinse I can see where the OP is coming from. Does no-one else find that if someone is "helping" but doing things in a way that isn't hygenic in your opinion, then it's actually worse? For example if someone cleaned the toilet and then used the same cloth to clean the sink, wouldn't that worry you? Or am I just thinking too hard about this?

Hulababy Wed 25-Jul-07 18:13:29

TBH if you give nagging your MIL about this, and sorry but it is very trivial IMO, then you risk her just not doing them again for you.

pointydog Wed 25-Jul-07 18:13:00

so do continentals ahev the tap on throughout, baguette?

Katy44 Wed 25-Jul-07 18:11:17

On the very rare ocassion I have a bath I have a quick shower at the end as I don't feel clean when I get out. I've just realised how inconsistent I am

quiveutmabonnebaguette Wed 25-Jul-07 18:09:19

Yes, yes it's really an english thing

Wisteria Wed 25-Jul-07 18:08:02

It's a shocking waste of water to rinse dishes with the tap on. If you have to (and I mean have to) then at least just pour a jug over at the end....... you should all be ashamed of yourself!!!! My daughter gets cross with me if I leave the tap running whilst I brush my teeth - they've done a project at school about water conservation, can you tell!?

Katy44 Wed 25-Jul-07 18:07:55

Well, you just dry them. Same as if you've had a bath you're still covered in whatever you got washed in when you get out.
I've also heard the thing about carcinogens in washing up liquid, is it true? (Hope not as I am a non-rinser )

MadamePlatypus Wed 25-Jul-07 18:07:14

Yes, the soap does just slide off.

Katy44 Wed 25-Jul-07 18:06:26

But surely if you our over the stuff on the draining board you're still not getting inside the glasses, cups and bowls?
I only rinse DS's bottles etc, not our stuff (although most goes in dishwasher).
I agree about tea towels!

oranges Wed 25-Jul-07 18:05:06

do people really not rinse dishes?? i honestly had no idea. does the soap slide off? i guess it would....

MadamePlatypus Wed 25-Jul-07 18:04:55

The whole point of modern washing up liquid is that you don't have to rinse.

Pixiefish Wed 25-Jul-07 18:04:47

My aunt and uncle always used to rinse as they were convinced there were carcinogens in the wash up liquid so I also have always rinsed. Your house, your way of doing things YANBU

SpamFritter Wed 25-Jul-07 18:04:38

When does the rinse aid go in?

so nothing chemical in the rinse aid then

Sobernow Wed 25-Jul-07 18:04:22

My mum used to keep the cold tap running to rinse while she was washing up, my dad used to pile it all on the drainer and pour cold water over it when done.

I did a combination of both but now have a dishwasher. I think letting the tap run is wasteful now, so if I need to I do the pouring thing but mainly I just dry things with a teatowel.

But if anyone other than me were to wash up in my house I'd die with gratitude and not mind what they did with it.

On a related subject - my mother said teatowels were evil and germ-laden and wouldn't have one in the house (she was a nurse in the days when hospitals were clean). Does anyone else hate teatowels?

Malfoynomore Wed 25-Jul-07 18:04:02

YABU

geekgirl Wed 25-Jul-07 18:03:52

of course they have a completely clean rinse at the end.
And rinse aid is just something that makes the water dry faster.

Hulababy Wed 25-Jul-07 18:03:24

I wouldn't care. I'd jst be grateful someone was doing my washing up!

Think YABU to be honest.

pointydog Wed 25-Jul-07 18:01:55

Re british thing, I remember being told off for not rinsing by a 14 year old when I lived in belgium

noddyholder Wed 25-Jul-07 18:01:53

I wouldn't care Anyone doing dishes here would be thanked and rinsing again is a waste of water

SpamFritter Wed 25-Jul-07 18:01:23

Have never rinsed - don't overdo the Fairy though.

Dishes washed in the dishwasher don't have a completely 'clean' rinse at the end do they? They have Rinse Aid which looks remarkably like dilute Fairy to me.

Gross is a word i tend to use for poo and sick and actually I don't think i find them particularly offensive anymore.
Gross for not rinsing the dishes, little OTT methinks

geekgirl Wed 25-Jul-07 18:00:10

I would rather do it myself than eat off dishes 'washed' this way

geekgirl Wed 25-Jul-07 17:59:24

I would, I find this really gross (and it is a uniquely English thing, btw).
Don't know how to do it tactfully though...
get a dishwasher - that'll remove the problem

quiveutmabonnebaguette Wed 25-Jul-07 17:57:13

I tought it was a british thing not to rince, my dh doesnt rince unless I'm watching him...not rincing is not nice.

donnie Wed 25-Jul-07 17:54:22

yes I realise the tone was a little outraged of essex - but I still say they taste horrid!

LazyLineLegilimens Wed 25-Jul-07 17:53:33

If you want them done your way, do them yourself!

WigWamBam Wed 25-Jul-07 17:53:22

Something about looking gift horses in the mouth springs to mind!

I don't rinse - never noticed the taste of Fairy on my dishes either.

You could always do it yourself ...

2shoes Wed 25-Jul-07 17:53:08

donnie calm down dear. we are oly talking about washing up not world peace

YABU and churlish

Wisteria Wed 25-Jul-07 17:51:59

Yes I think in the grand scheme of problems you could have with a MIL YABU!

Sometimes I rinse, sometimes I don't - it's hardly the crime of the century is it??

ProfYaffle Wed 25-Jul-07 17:51:23

I once washed up for a friend. When I'd finished she said 'we don't eat soap in this house' and poured water over the dishes to rinse them. I was mortified and more than a little p*ssed off, certainly didn't offer twice.

If she's offered to help out, it's churlish to critique her work I think.

don't think you need to rinse really unless you've overdone the Fairy !

donnie Wed 25-Jul-07 17:50:57

do you have a dishwasher though?

donnie Wed 25-Jul-07 17:50:20

no not unreasonable. Unrinsed dishes are vile,vile,vile - may as well pour the washing up liquid straight into your mouth!!!!

or you may have to just do it yourself.

2shoes Wed 25-Jul-07 17:49:58

can't see the problem. dh does that and we are all ok

pointydog Wed 25-Jul-07 17:49:57

har

I always rinse but would bite my tongue if someone else was washing my dishes. I'd dry them very hard

Blandmum Wed 25-Jul-07 17:49:26

I never rinse my dishes!

allgonebellyup Wed 25-Jul-07 17:48:31

hmmm

not sure

Oriole Wed 25-Jul-07 17:48:08

My MIL often offer to do the washing-up when she is staying with us. At first I was happy with this, but soon I noticed that she didn't rinse them off after washing with Fairy in the sink. I had a talk with her about this, still I see some foam in salad bowls and cups.

Is it unreasonable to ask my MIL again to rinse dishes after washing up with Fairy?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now