to expect something other than a fruit shoot to be available to drink at a 5 yr olds birthday party???

(208 Posts)
mrspink27 Sun 18-Mar-07 20:11:35

Message withdrawn

KaySamuels Sun 18-Mar-07 20:14:19

Does the village hall not have a tap? Are you from some third world village?

tinkerbellhadpiles Sun 18-Mar-07 20:14:59

Forgive my ignorance - what is a fruit shoot? Is it like the stem of an apple (sounds like it should be?)

Seriously I'm assuming it's some sugar laden rubbish non-food with lots of e-numbers. Just the thing to wash down a turkey twizzler.

No you aren't unreasonable, there should be water definitely. However some parents think they are 'treating' kids by giving them junk, weird I know but each to their own.

Well done for having got through it without having a tizzy yourself and well done to your daughter for having some sense. She'll no doubt be asleep now whereas the other kids will be winding their parents up a treat right about now!

Go ahead! Enjoy the glow of good parenting

ucm Sun 18-Mar-07 20:15:18

Awww it was only the one, and she didn't even drink it. Credit to you that she drinks water

As for the food, I suppose it ^it was^ a childrens party and they eat crap at em!

gingernut Sun 18-Mar-07 20:15:32

Oh yes, my ds1 completely refuses any type of squash. He went to a party during the heatwave last summer and came back gasping for a drink because they were offered only squash. He did ask for water but never got any (and it was held at the child's home ). These days I always take a bottle of water for him.

foxinsocks Sun 18-Mar-07 20:17:01

it's only a party

I would have just left her there and come back later and you would have been none the wiser

Hulababy Sun 18-Mar-07 20:17:18

I agree that water should also have been available.

As for the food, etc. I just keep my expectations for part food quite low and then you are never disappointed and sometimes very happy instead.

I can't imagine the eating of food will take a huge amount of time up at DD's party nxt week to be honest!

fairyfly Sun 18-Mar-07 20:18:29

What is the world coming to???????

People being up there own arses i think. It was one day. I know lots of studies say Fruit shoots lead to Heroin. Or perhaps they don't..... perhaps it doesn't matter.

mrspink27 Sun 18-Mar-07 20:18:43

It was worse than a chimps tea party! Shocking thing is they offered Duchy originals biscuits around for the parents with the the cups of tea and coffee!!!!

daisy1999 Sun 18-Mar-07 20:19:01

I don't let my dd have fruit shoots normally but at someone else's house or a party I relax a bit. Yes unreasonable imo.

PestoMonster Sun 18-Mar-07 20:19:15

I always used to take water for my dd1 when she was younger as she won't really drink anything else. Now she is 9 and always asks for tap water.

Zog Sun 18-Mar-07 20:20:09

lol ff

nickytwotimes Sun 18-Mar-07 20:20:41

i don't think you are being unreasonable, but it was just a party. think of all the crap we imbibed as kids in the 70s and 80s!

LilyLoo Sun 18-Mar-07 20:21:41

Fair enough she should have had water but maybe mum v stressed as we all know partys can be. To be fair agree with Hulababy it same for most partys junk food etc think it's only a one off and to be fair eating food isn't that appealing when they are so excited just think it pretty normal TBH.

mrspink27 Sun 18-Mar-07 20:22:42

Fairyfly, Slightly tongue in cheek OP -although I am not up my own arse... just would have expected water to be available.
I know it was one day... just dont see a birthday party as an excuse to serve 'junk' food thats all.

As for leaving DD, she is 4 and wanted me to stay, as did the majority of parents, I did not make any comments to DD about the party especially as she didnt really want to go in the first place.

gingernut Sun 18-Mar-07 20:23:06

? OP asked if it was unreasonable to expect water as alternative to fruit shoot I thought (see thread title). I don't think that is unreasonable! The rest is just a rant as she admits .

(I wouldn't care about the rubbish on offer, just do care when my child doesn't get a drink of water if he asks for one).

fairyfly Sun 18-Mar-07 20:23:54

A birthday is a day to have "junk" thats the point.

Kbear Sun 18-Mar-07 20:24:48

But don't 5 years just run around halls when they get the chance? What were you expecting?

I don't buy the dreaded Fruit Shoots for my children either but DS was at a party today and slurped his one down with gusto. He did turn to me and say "you don't like me having these do you mum" and I said "not really but it's okay at parties".

Not the end of the world mrspink. Maybe try and relax a bit about it when you're out and you'll enjoy parties a bit more. We have to suffer enough of them after all.

nickytwotimes Sun 18-Mar-07 20:25:05

"...don't see birthday party as an excuse to serve junk.." mrs pink, i was on your side till then!

beckybrastraps Sun 18-Mar-07 20:25:34

Yes, it wouldn't have hurt to make water available.

But children running around madly and spending the minimum of time eating crisps and icing sounds about normal for a party.

Did your dd really sit out and only eat grapes?

mrspink27 Sun 18-Mar-07 20:25:59

I am obviously a food snob because I choose not to feed the DDs 'junk' even on a birthday... I was just asking about the water thing...

Kbear Sun 18-Mar-07 20:26:00

Oh and do agree, water should have been available anyway - what with all that running.

I am intrigued by the "near the mark" balloon man. what was he up to then? !!

DumbledoresGirl Sun 18-Mar-07 20:26:41

I would imagine the problem was not that there was no source of water in the village hall, but that there was no cup to put it in.

I have nothing against fruit shoots myself, but my ds2 only drinks water and milk so I know there have been occasions when he has come back from a party very thirsty. I can't get worked up about it tbh (I blame ds2 for being such a fussy eater) and just ensure he drinks enough when he gets home.

Hulababy Sun 18-Mar-07 20:27:29

Seeing as I have paid out a fair bit of money of the hall and bouncy castle for DD's party I am really really hoping that what the 5 year olds want to do most at DD's party is to run round and have a great time!

The food boxes, I hope, will be a mix of healthy and not-so healthy! The children have already chosen their own drink choice anyway! Party bags will have a piece of chocolate in.

And I am serving alcohol to adults who stay

DumbledoresGirl Sun 18-Mar-07 20:28:33

Hulababy, is that bribery or corruption?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now