To dislike 40 yr old dh calling his mother "mummy"

(197 Posts)
Mala Tue 27-Feb-07 09:16:44

Always think mummy sounds horrible, unless the person is under 16. I mean it's okay as a one off, but as an adult I prefer mum. Also don't like dd calling her grandmother "grandmummy"(which is how dh will often refer her as).

specialmagiclady Mon 05-Mar-07 14:58:32

My mum is Mum and dad is Dad unless I want something in which case Dadd-deeeee!

But my mother talks about her mother as "Mummy" although when she was alive, she called her "Ma" quite a lot.

My mum is probably quite posh though.

oxocube Mon 05-Mar-07 10:23:44

grey even

oxocube Mon 05-Mar-07 10:23:20

earlgray, that's creepy

luciemule Mon 05-Mar-07 10:22:00

I've always called my mum 'mummy' and my dad 'dad' or 'daddy'. I'm not in the least bit posh but see it as an affectionate term. And even though I'm 29, I still sometimes sit on my mum's knee for a cuddle - which she likes.
I also think what people call grandparents is more often a case of not confusing children if they have more than one set.
It really doesn't matter what anyone calls their family - if they've always called them it, it's because it's familiar and they like calling them that.

earlgrey Mon 05-Mar-07 06:29:27

Tell you what does make me raise an eyebrow. Two sisters in dds school who address themselves as sister, as in:

"Sister, that's not quite right."

"What's wrong with it, sister?"

ala Jane Austen

nappyaddict Mon 05-Mar-07 05:18:15

i call my mum mummy sometimes, and my dad is always daddy. not sure why always daddy but only sometimes mummy. i think its because daddy is step-dad and dad is real dad, so its always been daddy to distinguish from the two. explains a lot really - as a child daddy is more affectionate and to this day if i had to choose i would choose him over my real dad as horrible as this sounds.

plummymummy Mon 05-Mar-07 01:02:45

I think chubbleigh has made a good point. My dh is Afro-Caribbean and it is commonplace for adults to call their parents mummy and daddy. Have Irish parents and it was the same for them too. It only grates on me when I hear posh people say it, but that is because I have an inverse snobbery agains the upper classes (my name is a pun - common as muck is me).

chubbleigh Sun 04-Mar-07 22:31:30

To me it is not a posh thing, it is an Irish thing. Lots of Irish call their parents Mummy and Daddy all their lives.

pointydog Sun 04-Mar-07 18:49:57

I'll tell mater on you, puppydog.

If i am a precoshus teen, you are a gurl and a sneke and you must be frends with Fotherington-Thomas.

Puppydog Sun 04-Mar-07 16:21:58

It seems a little illiberal to get bothered about what you partner calls his parents .

However there is defintely a class and sex issue.

Upper mid/Upper class boys always call their Mother Mummy but as adults never refer to their father as Daddy - pa or Dad suffices -girls always keep Daddy.

Mater/Pater is completely redundant only midlle class precocious teens say this as an ironic statement.

It is utterly working class to call ones grandparents Nanny/Nana and Grandad

Only Middle class peopel with academics and leftwing political views have their parents call them by their first names.

fortyplus Sun 04-Mar-07 16:10:28

I always used to call my dad 'daddy' when I wanted something!

My dh's parents are Newcastle-posh.

Dh is Nick and his mum & sister will insist on calling him 'Nicky'... Bleeeurgh!

He absolutely hates it but is far too polite to tell them.

CAM Sun 04-Mar-07 12:39:36

Hello Jackaroo

Jackaroo Sun 04-Mar-07 11:22:54

My mother freaks out if anyone calls her anything other than mummy, but actually it's my dad who is posh, and he often refers to her as mum, and did with his own mum...
So I don't know what I'm saying except, maybe my mother is more like hyacinth bouquet than I like to admit . I call her mum or mother when referring to her, but I'm very comfortable with calling my dad "daddy"... I just adjust for other people as I already know how creepy some people find it - as witnessed on this thread!(I suspect my Aussie in-laws love it, being anglophiles/respectful of royalty/impressed by our very English/posh wedding, but DH's friends in Oz must think it's hysterical...)

Hello - btw - only my second post, and first chatty one.

potatofactory Sun 04-Mar-07 11:09:24

It makes me absolutely cringe - definitely posh, and somehow ostentatiously posh when done in public. Eeeeyyooo

My DH calls his mum 'mate' which grates on me. He used to call me mate but i swiftly informed him it was 'bumperlicious', darling, babe or any other forms of affection etc. but i was not his 'mate'

puffling Sat 03-Mar-07 22:59:02

It depends on your class. Posh people say mummy and daddy forever. Other people only do it as small children and for them it would be a bit creepy to still be saying it into the teens.

wulfricsmummy Sat 03-Mar-07 19:06:18

er, I call mine Mummy and Daddy. I'd cringe if my DS ever called me "mum". It's ok to refer to me in the 3rd person that way, but as a form of address I'm not comfortable with it as I never used it for my mother.

CAMy Sat 03-Mar-07 14:29:21

Except it wasn't his mummy..................

Sure it's ok .........for a serial killer with mummy in a rocking chair

Rabbitbreath Sat 03-Mar-07 14:00:01

I am 6 months pregnant and your question sparked a conversation between my husband and I about whether we would like our children to call us by our first names or say Mom and Dad - my hubby says he would prefer for our children to call him by his first name once they get older, but I feel it is a show of respect when you call your parents Mom and Dad as that is how I was brought up (being 32 years old and Afrikaans I still call my parents Mamma and Pappa).

Lovecat Sat 03-Mar-07 13:46:36

My DH's grandmother insists that everyone calls her Granny - I refuse to do so as she isn't my granny, so I find myself going through linguistic contortions to avoid having to address her directly as anything. Which is daft, but there y'go. It's gotten easier now we have our DD, as I can say to her 'your great-granny' and talk through her if necessary.

Thank Christ she lives on the isle of wight and we only have to see her a few times a year...

jampot Sat 03-Mar-07 13:16:34

I used to work with a woman who is now about 60 and she still calls her mother mummy - but she is posh

winniepoo Sat 03-Mar-07 10:04:43

My mother refers to herself as mummy when she calls our answer mc it drives me mad! Much prefer mother!

Volodya Sat 03-Mar-07 09:27:50

My dh insists on calling my grandmothers "Grandma" and "Granny X" as I do - even though Granny X in particular would rather he didn't and would far rather he called her just X - he won't as he thinks it sounds disrespectful! My BIL calls them Mrs Y and Mrs Z which sounds even more weird I think considering that he's been part of the family for more than 10 years...

climbingrosie Sat 03-Mar-07 08:46:21

My grandparents were always grandmama and grandpapa, it sounded a bit weird to say but that is what made them happy so that is what we called them!

My parents have five children and what they get called varies, my youngest sister always calls them mummy and daddy or mummy dearest and daddy dearest, she is 21 (TBH the rest of us laugh at this but it is sweet, parents like it) Mother and father are usual, sometimes mum and dad, and now that I have DS all of us have started calling them granny and grandad because it winds them up!

We also call our father papaaa in a very tongue in cheek way when we are messing around or want something!

We all use daddy if we want something, as in daddyyyyyyyyy while giving him a big hug...it gives him some warning that we are after something! lol

Agree with op that it is a bit starange, but something that we ar still a part of and that is hard not to do if it is a family thing. My aunt still refers to her mother as mummy even when talking about her to someone else (a bit odd but also respectful of her mother as that is what she would have liked)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now