To think this 15 year old should be seriously punished?

(44 Posts)
user1480355677 Mon 28-Nov-16 18:07:50

15 year old had argument with his mum and then left the house yelling "I'm going to kill myself". He was only missing an hour when police helicopter was scrambled and half of the town were out looking for him (it was 5pm so very dark and cold). Just as a boat was launched to check the river, the boy was found... in his mates house playing on an xbox apparently oblivious to the chaos he had caused.

AIBU to think he should be punished for causing this chaos, wasting police and public time, all that money wasted.

GetOutMyCar Mon 28-Nov-16 18:11:41

YABU

He didn't waste police and public time or money, whoever launched the full scale search without first checking the obvious places did.

Copyandpaste111 Mon 28-Nov-16 18:11:48

I doubt that was his intention

Greengoddess12 Mon 28-Nov-16 18:12:23

No he's a child and am sure most 15 year olds say this at one time but for some reason this was taken seriously.

He should get a good talking to but he's probably very embaressed

ToadsforJustice Mon 28-Nov-16 18:12:40

Nope. No punishment. As a parent, I would probably check first with his friends and look in all the places he would go before calling the police. IME, typical teenage drama.

IfartInYourGeneralDirection Mon 28-Nov-16 18:12:46

A 15 year old CHILD did a childish thing shocker!
Alert the press

myyoyo Mon 28-Nov-16 18:13:24

No I don't think he should be punished.

alltouchedout Mon 28-Nov-16 18:14:08

I'm sure this isn't the case but your post makes it sound like you'd rather something had happened to him so as not to waste all that time and money.
What punishment do you think would be appropriate?

burgundyandgoldleaves Mon 28-Nov-16 18:14:39

Of course he shouldn't be punished. For what, not killing himself? confused

BarbarianMum Mon 28-Nov-16 18:14:43

YABU
He's not responsible for what sounds like a massive over reaction. I expect he'll think twice about saying it again though.

burgundyandgoldleaves Mon 28-Nov-16 18:14:50

X post, all!

VeryBitchyRestingFace Mon 28-Nov-16 18:15:07

It wasn't his decision to scramble the helicopter, etc.

One would have thought pals would have been contacted before bringing out the bloodhounds.

ThomasRichard Mon 28-Nov-16 18:15:33

No, I expect the police will check he's ok and talk to him. And he'll be very embarrassed that the whole town's talking about him!

srslylikeomg Mon 28-Nov-16 18:15:34

Odd response. Punishment? If it was said seriously then punishment is the last thing he needs. If it was said as a teenage strop then whoever called the police/rescue etc etc is surely at fault? Didn't they call his mates first?
Sounds like some Fireman Sam shit when that little prick Norman causes £££ of public money spending on some misunderstandin.

usual Mon 28-Nov-16 18:17:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Allthebestnamesareused Mon 28-Nov-16 18:18:12

What soap opera was that on?

DontBuyANewMumCashmere Mon 28-Nov-16 18:18:43

As a former copper I'd hope he was not necessarily punished but definitely stern talking to, with explanations of what had happened, trouble gone to, people involved, and things he could have done to stop this.

But punished sounds a bit OTT?

Runny Mon 28-Nov-16 18:22:18

It sounds like the police were a bit heavy handed more than anything. Why not check his mates house first before scrambling the helicopter, sending out search boats etc?

RebelRogue Mon 28-Nov-16 18:26:26

What should he be punished for? Not killing himself when saying he would?

AgentProvocateur Mon 28-Nov-16 18:33:09

As a parent, I'd have checked his friends' houses first. Overkill to go to the police when he was missing for an hour at 5pm.

Buck3t Mon 28-Nov-16 18:34:16

Wow, MN is funny. In less than a year the 15 year old will be a 16 year old and should be allowed to stay out all night without telling anyone where he is, but should only be treated as a child this year when he does stupid things with series consequences.

I don't think he should be punished personally he was a child.

MrsTerryPratchett Mon 28-Nov-16 18:34:47

A 15 year old CHILD did a childish thing shocker! grin

GettingitwrongHauntingatnight Mon 28-Nov-16 18:35:57

Yabu

steff13 Mon 28-Nov-16 18:36:18

There was a situation here where a woman ran off with her boyfriend and left her husband and kids. She told her husband she was going to run errands one day, abandoned her car at a park, and when she and her boyfriend were eventually discovered hundreds of miles away, she had cut and colored her hair, effectively changing her appearance. I think that woman should be held responsible for the massive police response to her disappearance. And she was.

In this case, I don't think the kid should be held responsible. It's not a situation where he intentionally wasted the time and resources of the authorities.

mouldycheesefan Mon 28-Nov-16 18:38:01

Why were the police called before friends house was checked? #overreaction

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now