to feel dumb about getting an Xbox working on Christmas day

(124 Posts)
HubbaBubbaMum Mon 28-Nov-16 01:12:23

DH and me have never played (or seen others playing) on gaming machines (or whatever you call them!). Have finally conceded to peer pressure and Father Christmas has ordered an Xbox One S Console with FIFA 17 as a joint present for DC this year (age 10 & 7). So, how do we avoid spending half of Christmas day working out how to set it up as we are complete gaming virgins? Is it obvious? Can we buy games suitable for their age in advance to 'plug in' or do we have to open it up and get it all set up and download them in advance? (Didn't want to open the wrapping before Xmas morning ideally). Do we just play it on TV or is it better on the PC? Do we need to order control pad type things to go with it? Hope this post is giving younger MNetters a good laugh grin. Happy to be directed to an idiots guide to the 21st Century.

kormachameleon Mon 28-Nov-16 01:21:11

You can't play it on the PC - you connect the Xbox to a FB via hdmi and that becomes your screen

You can set it up Xmas day but it can take a while - particularly as you don't know what you are doing so I'd personally do it Xmas eve when they are in bed and then let them open the empty boxes - I doubt they will notice the Xbox near /under the tv

Game wise there aren't that many games suitable for younger children - go to your local game store and ask them what they would recommend

GiddyOnZackHunt Mon 28-Nov-16 01:23:51

I Have no actual experience but if you don't want to open it until Xmas Day then you are duty bound to spend a few hours battling with it.
Surely use a sharp knife and repack carefully so you can Google set up (WiFi password and correct sockets on telly/monitor) and test it. If it doesn't work you avoid the broken gadget horrors.

HubbaBubbaMum Mon 28-Nov-16 01:25:14

Thanks Korma but what does 'FB via hdmi' mean?

frikadela01 Mon 28-Nov-16 01:26:26

You will have a load of updates to download when it's all plugged in however once it is plugged in they generally guide you through it on screen (I'm assuming, I have a PlayStation 4)

Tbh I bet your 10 yeae old could pro a lot set it up himself. It my experience that kids these days are so familiar with technology havong grown up around it that they just "get it". My 4 year old nephew knows how to turn on and download the free games on his playstation. He was showing his dad how to do it last weekend so Christ knows how he learnt to do it.

MumToTheBoy Mon 28-Nov-16 01:30:41

It should come with at least one controller but you may need to buy a second one. There are lots of two player games, including FIFA so you will need two. Minecraft is a great game for younger children, they can build and create worlds/ buildings etc either in their own game or both playing in the same one. You'll be surprised at how quickly your kids will just take over and start playing, they will no doubt have played it at a friends. Try looking on YouTube for a video on how to set up the Xbox one s, and for other ideas of games to buy. My son is 10 and he loves racing car games and all the Lego games, like Lego Marvel and Lego Dimensions.

PenguinsandPebbles Mon 28-Nov-16 01:31:19

The Xbox I purchased last year didn't actually work, and I had to take it back when the stores reopened sad was very sad faces. It's rare but it happens (and it's not that we didn't know what we were doing as I have worked in IT for 20 years) So defiantly test it first. It can also take a while for any updates depending on your wifi speed so it's worth running that the night before.

Not sure if you will have an old TV, but my mum decided to get herself some new gizmo and her old TV didn't have HDMI port so I purchased her a new TV, or she is smarter than I give her credit and wangled a wise screen out of her "mistake" do love my mum to pieces btw so that is lighthearted

It will come with controllers, they will even have batteries.

Good luck!

PenguinsandPebbles Mon 28-Nov-16 01:33:55

Sorry so tired "a controller" is what I meant to say.

HDMI is just the cable that connects between the TV and the Xbox. If it's a new TV you are likely to have one or two of these ports on the back or side of the TV. If it's older it may be a scart and that won't work with the Xbox.

Sybys Mon 28-Nov-16 01:36:07

I'd definitely get a second controller, so the kids can play together. Set up is pretty easy assuming you have HDMI ports on your tv (i think any high-def tv will have at least one port). I'm sure your ten year old would be able to do it.

HubbaBubbaMum Mon 28-Nov-16 01:39:01

Useful advice - thanks all. Will definitely get it out and set up the week before when they're asleep to sort any problems. We've got an older TV so we'd better check we can use it!

PenguinsandPebbles Mon 28-Nov-16 01:43:22

You should be fine, it's only a few cables

The HDMI is the key bit, the port will look like this.

Kelsar Mon 28-Nov-16 02:10:49

If it's an Xbox then you shall need an Xbox account, which is easy enough to set up but I would recommended opening an account before Christmas Day so your ready to just log in on Christmas morning.

BadLad Mon 28-Nov-16 03:31:10

It's not hard to do, but it can take a while for updates to download and install, then games have to be installed if they're on disk, and often have patches or updates of their own. Definitely set it up before Christmas Day to get it ready for play, then pack it away.

neonshine Mon 28-Nov-16 05:09:21

Minecraft, Fifa 17 & Forza are good games for ages 7 & 10.

AGrinWithoutACat Mon 28-Nov-16 06:19:31

Optional extras

Charging dock for the controllers
Coloured skins for the controllers

Skylanders is the game that keeps giving in the house, there are several games out now and you buy different characters to use in the game (costs a fortune if you buy them new but Smyths often sell off older ones at £1 each or my local buy swap sell has ppl selling bundles inexpensively)

Disney Infinity and Lego Dimensions have a similar concept

All are good for younger kids

Another winner here are racing games and party /carnival games (we have a Wii and a PS4 so not sure what's available for the Xbox)

silverlace Mon 28-Nov-16 06:23:36

We did this last year. The actual physical setting up isn't too complicated but loading games and downloading updates can take a long time. Our broadband is pretty slow and it was several days before everything loaded. Also you need to set up player accounts and typing is fiddly. You can get a keyboard which might be worth it, it would have saved me a lot of work.

Mamabear14 Mon 28-Nov-16 06:52:09

Downloading the games takes forever on Christmas Day. Mine were most annoyed last year that FIFA took half the day, I think the servers are just so busy. So if you can do that before so it's all loaded to go that will be a big help. We have minecraft, lego dimensions, sky landers, terraria, rocket league, plants vs zombies, roblox. All good for smaller kids.

Allovertheworld16 Mon 28-Nov-16 06:57:02

Definitely set it up the week before. I left it till Christmas Day and got stuck.

sleepwhatsleep Mon 28-Nov-16 07:01:00

Plants vs zombies 2 is a very good game for their age range. I'm 26 though and I enjoy playing it too!

Definately plug in the Xbox a few nights before. Also buy a few games and insert the discs as after the Xbox has updated and set itself up, each game also has to be installed which can take up to 4 hours per game in my experience. I imagine that with everyone else doing the same, that around Christmas their servers will be even slower. I would do it at least a week before Christmas once they've gone to bed and just hide it somewhere during the day.

sijjy Mon 28-Nov-16 07:11:03

I found setting up the Xbox to the tv easy. Setting up the accounts though was very hard work. I had to get my younger brother on FaceTime to help me blush
Now my 10 yr old is more savvy than me and has turned his child account into a adult account and I have no idea how to change it back again. Have spent ages on google. I will be using Microsoft chat help at some point as I really want his account set back to child

HighNoon Mon 28-Nov-16 07:14:32

Surely YouTube is your friend here? Must be a video with step by step guide on setting this up. Also your kids may be more expert than you think !

FlyingElbows Mon 28-Nov-16 07:14:39

Please check your TV is compatible ports wise as the one s is designed to be used with a 4k TV and if your telly is old it may not work which would be a terrible shame. They're easy to connect, it's just an hdmi cable from console to TV, but it can take ages for it to set itself up so do it in advance. It will do all the work and prompt you when it needs you to do something. Definitely get more controllers and a charging cradle (I think we've got Venom ones from Amazon). Kid friendly games are plentiful such as Minecraft, Lego Dimensions, PvZ, Terraria and Skylanders.

firewithfire Mon 28-Nov-16 07:19:18

Try it beforehand but if you really can't manage it the 10yr old will find it easy and will probably enjoy it. Agree about downloads being slow on xmas day though.

Portal is good for kids if they have that on Xbox one

GiraffesAndButterflies Mon 28-Nov-16 07:22:12

I don't want to be a downer, but family arguments about how to set up the new computer, ending with all children sent to their rooms and forbidden to actually play on it, are the stuff Christmas Day memories are made of. mine anyway

And you're planning to avoid all this by setting it up early. sad Won't someone think of the children?

gillyginger Mon 28-Nov-16 07:27:06

Thank you for this thread
flowers I have just do an Xbox so will have a proper read of it later,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now