If your child isn't in it, it doesn't need to be up???

(11 Posts)
MommaGee Sun 27-Nov-16 18:22:07

Went to get on the bus today and driver said we could only get on if we collapsed it. DS is on o2 and PEG fed so it's a nightmare so we said no we'd wait. That's life and it sucks in the cold but there were two pushchairs on before us so it is what it is .
One of the couples said wait, we'll get off early so you can get on - buses by us and now notoriously unpredictable and it's what I would have done in her shoes so very gratefully got on and thanked her.
Look round and the other pushchair is open but empty. No child in sight. Bit of shopping underneath but nothing that couldn't have easily been popped into the luggage rack. Her DC could be heard running about upstairs so not like they were imminently using the seat or couldn't sit in another seat on the pretty empty bus. She basically sat there with her empty pushchair and knowingly let someone else get off early rather than taking two minutes to drop hers!!

Aibu to think the polite thing to do when your child isn't using it and it's actually stopping Katherine people from using it is to collapse it? There are lots of good reasons people leave it up with the child in it and I don't expect anyone to get off for me or kick their child out theirs for me but an EMPTY ONE???

Rant over

DearMrDilkington Sun 27-Nov-16 18:23:43

Why was her child running about upstairs with her downstairs?!shock

Arfarfanarf Sun 27-Nov-16 18:27:05

Yes. Some people are selfish and some are utterly oblivious about whats going on around them.

FrancisCrawford Sun 27-Nov-16 19:18:29

Totally agree. Similar happened to me on a packed bus last week. Mum and child sitting on one side of aisle with open buggy on the other side. She was somehow impervious to the fact the bus driver was having to refuse any more passengers, despite being about five feet away from him.

ethelb Sun 27-Nov-16 19:21:41

London dweller and totally agree.

I hate the 'I can't afford a £100 travel buggy argument' when they have a hefty £800 travel system taking up a fuck tonne of room.

If you are someone who takes the bus get a buggy that suits your lifestyle ffs!

harderandharder2breathe Sun 27-Nov-16 19:30:59

Yanbu

I'm glad someone else was kind enough to let you on

The other people were being selfish

MommaGee Sun 27-Nov-16 20:23:11

DearMrD with her other kids, not alone

Yeah they were good, bus driver clearly felt awkward but should have put on his big Momma Pants and told her to collapse it!

Bearfrills Sun 27-Nov-16 20:25:35

Buses here won't let you take an unoccupied buggy on the bus, if it's unoccupied then it has to be folded.

EsmesBees Sun 27-Nov-16 20:28:39

This winds me up too. Same thing happened to me recently, except both the parent and child were upstairs leaving the buggy unattended. I considered folding it myself but didn't want to risk them having a go. Don't get me wrong, it can be hard on a moving bus to wrangle a baby and fold a push chair, but it's also just good manners.

PetalMettle Sun 27-Nov-16 20:28:50

agreed. The other day I missed one bus as it was full with one empty and one older child and the second one was full with two empty pushchairs so I collapsed our travel system abd had my 1 year old on my lap

MommaGee Sun 27-Nov-16 21:53:46

Bear she probably got on with the kid in it then sent them all upstairs for some peace haha

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now