To moan to Greggs?

(21 Posts)
SpangledBoots Sun 27-Nov-16 11:34:13

Probably being U here but...

I sometimes pop to my local Greggs on a weekend morning for a coffee and breakfast roll. About four or five times now I've ordered a specific thing and the assistant has put on the coffee then told me they don't have the breakfast roll option I asked for. Once they'd even taken my payment before telling me it wasn't available.

Now, totally appreciate that I'm fickle as hell so if they don't have the item I've ordered, I don't want an alternative. I just politely say 'Oh, if that's not available, I'll just cancel the order, thank you.' The problem is, they've normally started making the coffee by the time they tell me this so are a bit miffed about it.

AIBU to expect to be told before I pay/they start making the coffee that they can't actually fulfil my order?

Sort of want to write to Greggs about this because it happens so often.

ClashCityRocker Sun 27-Nov-16 11:36:49

Whilst you're writing, can you mention that their festive bakes taste shit cold, so can they make sure they are kept warm? Perfectly happy to pay the extra 20p or so in vat rather than have cold sludge.

Oh and yanbu.

Salmotrutta Sun 27-Nov-16 11:38:18

Why not just ask "Do you have X/Y/Z today?" before placing your order?

Maybe they only just ran out of the items and didn't realise until they went to get it?

Not sure I'd go to the extent of writing to the company.

QueenMortificado Sun 27-Nov-16 11:38:58

They're shafting themselves aren't they, if they don't realise that it's not the best way to do it

I wouldn't bother to say anything. It won't ever come across as useful and helpful just a bit mean

Crowdblundering Sun 27-Nov-16 11:39:43

YABU to eat at Greggs.

VeryBitchyRestingFace Sun 27-Nov-16 11:40:39

YANBU. That is very strange.

But it's easily remedied, isn't it?

In that situation, I would order the cake/scone/sandwich/whatever and not mention the coffee.

If the assistant comes back and says, we have x item, then you say, "and a coffee with that, please."

If they say they don't have it, you can just leave w/o ordering coffee.

SpangledBoots Sun 27-Nov-16 11:44:28

Crowdblundering - I know, I feel dirty every time. Great for a hangover, though!

Good suggestions for asking before I actually order...would save me the embarrassment too!

OldSaintKnickerless Sun 27-Nov-16 11:45:14

I think it's probably what salmo says and they aren't actually doing it on purpose.

I'm blaming you for the fact that I want Gregg's now though.

SpangledBoots Sun 27-Nov-16 11:48:18

Oh and if anyone's interested - I live in Scotland so order a square sausage (these are game changers!) which are pretty much a staple breakfast roll item. They only have maybe four different items which would go in these so it's not unusual to expect them to have some. And, annoyingly, once you've had one, you'll never want normal sausages again!

VeryBitchyRestingFace Sun 27-Nov-16 11:53:00

Do you like Scotch pies, OP?

Can't seem to get them when I go South of the Wall. sad

User1987654 Sun 27-Nov-16 12:02:29

I have always wanted to start a AIBU about not understanding why Greggs is popular when their food is always luke warm food, regardless of the location. It boggles the mind, as other shops can manage to sell hot food.

chipsandpeas Sun 27-Nov-16 12:07:10

ask for the food first, and once they are getting it ask for the cofffee as well

SpangledBoots Sun 27-Nov-16 12:14:46

veryrestingbitchface - I don't, I'm afraid! I don't really like anything with pastry...

VeryBitchyRestingFace Sun 27-Nov-16 12:23:35

I don't, I'm afraid! I don't really like anything with pastry...

<blinks>

Are you sure you're Scottish?

SpangledBoots Sun 27-Nov-16 12:42:45

I'm from Northern Ireland originally so not Scottish...been here since I went to uni though!

BarbaraofSeville Sun 27-Nov-16 13:05:21

It's always been a thing for Greggs that they don't keep things warm so they don't have to charge the VAT. In shops with a high turnover there should always be something warm available.

It's annoying that they don't have things available - I've never had one of their breakfast sandwiches because they've never had any stuff ready, but the pricing is such that part of the deal not being available makes it such a game changer that they really should tell you in advance - it's something like £2 for a coffee or £3 for a coffee and a sandwich, so I can easily see why people wouldn't want to pay nearly as much for half the deal.

My solution to them not having the stuff ready is to just buy it from Iceland and get my Greggs pasty fix at home - that way you can have it at the temperature you want, whenever you want. Cheaper too.

Bluntness100 Sun 27-Nov-16 13:07:31

I agree, just ask them before you place the order. Problem solved.

DameBurleyChassis Sun 27-Nov-16 13:10:40

Mmmmm. Roll and slice with a potato scone.

YANBU, but probably better to just ask first.

SpangledBoots Sun 27-Nov-16 15:11:26

Dame I went down the road and got a lovely roll with potato scone too...Greggs don't do that.

TheMasterMurderedMargarita Sun 27-Nov-16 15:15:11

You must have to get to Greg's early for a sliced sausage rolls...they never ever have any left.

Lostpangolin Sun 27-Nov-16 15:17:23

Greggs here must be a freak, their warm food is thermonuclear! Lost part of the roof of my mouth to a cheese slice cos I was too greedy/tight/stupid too spit it out once the pain kicked in!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now