To operate a one for you one for me present policy ?

(17 Posts)
Pisssssedofff Sun 27-Nov-16 11:15:13

Am being terrible this year. Nobody will buy me presents. The kids don't really need anything so are getting cash. All the deals I keep seeing that are bargains are ideally suited to me !
Anyone else bought nice things ?

statetrooperstacey Sun 27-Nov-16 11:21:23

Yes go on do it.
I'm terrible for buying lovely things for other people then keeping them, it's like Christmas shopping twice, because I hav to go and do it again. Buy your self nice things for Christmas, especially as no one else will !

statetrooperstacey Sun 27-Nov-16 11:23:49

And don't feel guilty.

statetrooperstacey Sun 27-Nov-16 11:29:37

Oh didn't answer the op really (feel like a stalker now) so far I have bought a shawl wrap coat thing for my daughter, now mine and a massive ceramic duck egg blue frying casserole pan thing got for son and dil is now also mine, I'm so ashamed. But they are lovely. And a jumper also for my daughter, I'm wearing it now. blush she won't be getting that either. Luckily we are not the same shoe sizegrin

Pisssssedofff Sun 27-Nov-16 11:33:01

Ha ha Awww that's funny. I think it's worst now they are almost adults I mean I never coveted a littlest pet shop ... But now, well they've inherited my great taste

GetOutMyCar Sun 27-Nov-16 11:34:52

I always buy presents for myself and wrap them. My kids think it's hilarious when they pull one out from under the tree which says 'to mummy,lots of love from mummy'.

They're always the best presents too.

FoxInABox Sun 27-Nov-16 12:22:17

So far I have bought myself 3 Christmas presents- a lovely l'occitane set, a make up set and a nice feet gift set (foot soak, foot cream and socks). The first one was bought to see what it was like and if I should get it for a friend, the second I bought for a friend and liked the look of it so bought myself one too smile DH thinks I'm crackers!

TheBathroomSink Sun 27-Nov-16 12:55:56

Surely this is what Boots 3for2 was invented for? One for DS, one for DD, freebie one for me. One for DNephew, one for exH, freebie one for me grin

BarbaraofSeville Sun 27-Nov-16 12:57:13

Providing that you can afford it, absolutely buy the things you want for yourself. How will you get them otherwise? If you don't say to other people 'buy me X, it's at Y shop for a really good price right now' chances are that you won't get it.

So it's much better to just opt out of presents as much as possible and just buy what you want when you see it. Otherwise you get into a charade where you tell people 'buy me this for Christmas' or you rely on people guessing what you want and probably getting it wrong.

BarbaraofSeville Sun 27-Nov-16 13:00:36

Boots 3 for 2 was invented to sell a load of overpriced crap to people unable to realise that tripling the price, sticking it in a load of unnecessary packaging and including it in a fake offer doesn't make it a good deal.

Strip back the packaging and the 3 for 2 offer and most things are very poor value indeed.

I bought myself a load of chocolates from Asda (Green & Blacks mini bars, and 2 boxes of Lindt balls in the flavours I wanted) and I've eaten most of the Lindt already. There's a load of really nice looking special chocolates in Aldi, so I will probably get those next.

TheProblemOfSusan Sun 27-Nov-16 13:01:00

Well I'm going to buy myself a car, so I think YANBU.

BanjoStarz Sun 27-Nov-16 13:08:27

It's the only way to get what you actually want to be honest. I do this with one of my oldest friends, we buy ourselves a gift (we set a limit) and then go for Christmas drinks and open our presents to ourselves together. The only proviso is that the present has to be completely and utterly frivolous...like a £30 lipstick you'd never buy yourself, or pure cashmere socks in the most impractical colour ever.

It's great, we both get a lovely present and have a nice catch up.

nurseinwonderland Sun 27-Nov-16 13:13:42

I love this idea! I have been known to buy something close to Christmas/birthday/ mothers day and give it to DH to pretend he's bought it! Kids are happy they've bought mummy the perfect present, DH is happy because he doesn't have to go shopping and I'm happy because I've got what I want.
How did you know Mummy wanted this? You are so clever fgrin

BarbaraofSeville Sun 27-Nov-16 13:16:26

Buying a present for yourself to ensure you get what you want makes a lot more sense than buying it and giving it to your DH to pretend that he got it for you, although I suppose if it makes the kids happy that's fine.

Grumpyoldblonde Sun 27-Nov-16 13:35:09

Oh, I think this is only sensible, I've been doing it for years and I also buy myself a birthday present too (and possibly a small gift at Easter)
Agree that often the Boots 3 for 2 is a rip off, but if you are canny about combining points offers (I have had 3 x 400 points on a £20 spend, plus a double points coupon) then you can end up with quite a deal, plus loads of points for the future and something nice for yourself.

Pisssssedofff Sun 27-Nov-16 13:37:01

So far I have fabulous leggings and a bra, new trainers, a le cruset mug, urban decay eye shadow and Gucci rush. Am going to stop now 🙈
Kids have a nice pile too I should say, they are doing alright

pasturesgreen Sun 27-Nov-16 13:40:25

Yanbu, so far I've got myself a lovely party dress, a silk scarf and a pair of earrings.

All things I love, In the right size and colour. And I always have them wrapped. Maybe I'm sad grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now