To ask NI mumsneters to answer this question regarding identity

(17 Posts)
morningrunner Fri 25-Nov-16 08:42:36

What one word do you feel best describes your identity from a cultural / political perspective:

Unionist / British / Protestant

Nationalist / Catholic / Irish

Just my own curiosity by the way - I'm not reaserching for a paper or anything

Trooperslane Fri 25-Nov-16 08:56:53

Irish.

NI born and bred. I'm an catholic atheist.

Wish I could have an NI passport because I think we all have an identity crisis going on.

BakerStreetSaxRift Fri 25-Nov-16 08:57:47

I would usually say just "Northern Irish".

From your list, British.

Never had any interest in religion so don't feel Protestant, Catholic, nationalist or unionist. I'm from a bit of NI where nobody cares about that stuff at all. People are just people.

BroomstickOfLove Fri 25-Nov-16 08:59:38

Irish. I'm from a liberal/Nationalist Protestant background and now live in England. My children are English. I'm Irish.

BroomstickOfLove Fri 25-Nov-16 09:02:06

But more specifically, Northern Irish, because in many ways I have more in common with NI people who have a different identity from me than I do with people in the Republic of Ireland or England, Scotland and Wales.

Maudlinmaud Fri 25-Nov-16 09:02:10

Also identify as Northern Irish, never really understood the religion I was brought up in so don't bother now.

PlayingGrownUp Fri 25-Nov-16 09:03:56

Northern Irish and Alliance if I have to pick a party.

SitDownMarlene Fri 25-Nov-16 09:04:45

Second BakerStreet - I'd say Northern Irish, but from your choices British.

I'm from a place where a certain amount of people do care about religion etc but I don't, and I keep myself well out of it. Find this works best for me, I've friends from all sides & we just don't discuss it.

GentleOnMyMind Fri 25-Nov-16 09:06:36

Irish.

Aliasnumberone Fri 25-Nov-16 09:07:13

I'd say northern Irish too. I don't feel British and i think it would be disingenuous to identify as Irish when our family is Protestant and has Scottish/English heritage, but if I had to choose between being British or Irish, I'd rather be Irish.... It's complicated isn't it

SlatternIsTrying Fri 25-Nov-16 09:07:16

Northern Irish. I am proud of my country and its (flawed) identity. I truly believe we are an individual lot that deserves its own title.

British from your list.

Flixy102 Fri 25-Nov-16 09:15:13

If people ask if I'm Irish I'll usually correct them and say I'm Northern Irish, not for any political or religious reasons, just because I think it's more accurate smile

I also have a British passport and would answer British if asked my nationality.

Cakescakescakes Fri 25-Nov-16 09:17:16

Northern Irish. I don't feel British or Irish. I think being from NI gives you a very different set of cultural influences than being from either Great Britain or Ireland.
I have British and Irish passports but would love a Northern Irish one.

MistressMerryWeather Fri 25-Nov-16 09:26:16

Irish.

roundandroundthehouses Fri 25-Nov-16 09:32:24

I consider myself Northern Irish. My Dad changed from non-practising Catholic to Presbyterian Protestant to marry my mother so I was brought up Protestant but don't practise or feel affinity to any religion as an adult. If I had to pick one of your choices I'd have to say British as my dh is English, I lived in England for many years and one of my dc was born there. But it wouldn't feel totally right.

PeppermintInfusion Fri 25-Nov-16 12:12:31

I would generally say "northern Irish". If I could be officially Northern Irish I would be, I don't really fee either British or Irish.
If someone says to me "are you Irish?" (Thinking non-U.K. person) I would usually agree or say "yes... well northern Irish". But if they referred to me as Irish I wouldn't correct them.

If someone asked my nationality, I would say British as that is the passport I've had the longest (I have both).

Religiously I wouldn't even bother to call myself atheist, I'm interested in political issues but have no leaning to one party.

KeithRichardsPetCat Fri 25-Nov-16 12:15:53

Born in Belfast

I am Northern Irish

From your list? British, Protestant

I possess a British passport; but I would love to be officially "Northern Irish"

I come from a mixed marriage..it's no big deal to me; but I'll correct someone if they refer to me as "Irish" grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now