Too early to buy baby stuff?

(21 Posts)
froglou Wed 23-Nov-16 13:34:11

I'm 24 weeks pregnant and so far I've ordered a 15 piece set of MAM bottle and a cosydream because they was on sale, and I picked up a second hand Moses basket stand(it was only £1!). I'm now tempered to buy the Moses basket I've had my eye on as it's reduced to 20% off! (£24 with delivery!)

But am I getting ahead of myself is it too early can someone reassure me please!

I can tell my partner thinks it's too soon and wants me to wait till we've finished decorating the house before but I can't see that being until fairly close to my due date.

There was another Moses basket I loved and kept favourited on my computer but it's since been discontinued which between that and the sales now on is probably why I'm buying so early!

When is the right time to start buying?

wysiwyg16 Wed 23-Nov-16 13:36:12

Hell no! I started buying little bits from 12 weeks onwards. The only way we could afford it was to stretch it out over a few months and if you spot a bargain, snap it up! Congratulations on your pregnancy too

BarbarianMum Wed 23-Nov-16 13:39:11

I think it really varies person to person. I wouldn't personally recommend shopping before conception but after that, totally up to you. Be really careful not to over buy though - not sure why you'd want 2 Moses baskets fi, they really only last a few weeks. Babyhood is really the cheapest they ever get so I'd save as much as possible for later on

YoHoHoandabottleofTequila Wed 23-Nov-16 13:39:34

I didn't start buying anything until the 20 week scan as I wanted to know our baby was ok first. So no I don't think you're too early.

I was still packing my hospital bag the day I went into labour though...grin

KlingybunFistelvase Wed 23-Nov-16 13:41:57

My DH was the same for some reason.

We did end up waiting till a bit later for most things; it was fine and we had everything we needed in good time, but in hindsight it wouldn't have been U to start when I wanted to which was after 20 week scan. I also wish I'd looked a bit harder for the right pushchair. Mine was pretty good, but very bulky and I wish I'd thought it through a bit more. If we have DC2 and we can afford it I'll probably buy a new pushchair.

Mishmashpotatoes Wed 23-Nov-16 13:47:46

I started buying at 12 weeks and was practically finished by 24 weeks! Take advantage of the Black Friday sales. Amazon has loads of good baby stuff on sale.

ibelieveindragons Wed 23-Nov-16 13:50:18

I work in a charity shop so started picking things up from after the 20 week scan (still having fun finding things I'd forgotten I'd bought!), so no not too early you're being very sensible to spread the cost out! But please do look for clothes second hand you'll save yourself a fortune and they only wear them a few times!

Kel1234 Wed 23-Nov-16 13:50:37

I refused to buy anything until the month before I was due. Due August 30th, and went out in July and got everything we needed as essentials for the hospital and our first few days at home. But we couldn't get certain things til after the baby was born anyway, as we didn't want to know the sex.
And I'm very superstitious and wouldn't have any baby stuff in the house until after the baby was born.
But I know people who buy earlier

froglou Wed 23-Nov-16 13:52:11

Thank you for your reassurance! Second scan was 2 weeks ago now and everything was fine, think I'll bite the bullet and get it! Will defiantly spend more time looking at more "long term" things like Prams and will leave that for another couple months! Thank you!

BarbarianMum, no only the one Moses basket! I probably worded it badly the first one I was looking got discontinued before I bought it which is why I'm so eager to buy the one I'm now looking as it's reduced!

SomewhatIdiosyncratic Wed 23-Nov-16 13:55:09

I started at about that stage. The 20 week scan was clear, and you're not far from the stage where a baby becomes viable to survive from birth. Some things like prams may take a while to order and deliver.

I think the last significant thing I bought was the moses basket at about 35 weeks. I managed to park right by the entrance to Toys R Us then heave my SPD ridden body round the most direct way then felt broken by the time I got to the tills! I ended up having to stop driving about a week later, so I've got no regrets about being prepared in good time! (Fortunately most people manage to make pregnancy look much easier than I ever did! grin)

Neverknowing Wed 23-Nov-16 13:55:55

No!! Buying baby stuff is one of the only fun things in pregnancy! We were finished DDs nursery and had several bags of nappies by 20 weeks, we had way too much stuff though. I'd also recommend not buying any baby clothes as we didn't buy any and we were given so many we had to give away two bin bags full!
Good luck with the pregnancy op!

Ilovenannyplum Wed 23-Nov-16 13:57:16

I don't think it's too early, I would take advantage of the sales if there is something you have your heart set on reduced

AGinForEachMakesThree Wed 23-Nov-16 13:59:02

Not at all! I started buying for my boys at 12 weeks and I started stashing bits for my daughter before she was even conceived...

NickyEds Wed 23-Nov-16 14:01:43

I had everything more or less bought by 30 weeks I think! My baby was due at Christmas and at the time I was self employed and Christmas was my busiest time so I wanted most of the shopping done so we just got it all between 20 and 30 weeks.

crayfish Wed 23-Nov-16 14:01:51

I would have been too early for me but i didn't buy anything at all until I was 34 weeks. People tell you that prams take ages to order but I bought mine online and got a hefty discount and next day delivery.

Saying that, I didn't want baby stuff in the house too early because I am superstitious and have friends who lost babies very late so this affected how I felt. If you are comfortable having stuff in the house then you are certainly not being unreasonable to have already started, if you enjoy shopping then go for it!

SquedgieBeckenheim Wed 23-Nov-16 14:03:25

Buy whenever you see stuff on offer! I wouldn't buy before the 12 week scan, but after that is fair game.

topaz22 Wed 23-Nov-16 14:05:38

im 28 weeks and just been buying a couple of bits every time i'm shopping. i bought wipes and bath stuff yesterday and did feel abit daft doing it already so i know how you feel! i think it's better than panicking last minute spending loads in one go

nennyrainbow Wed 23-Nov-16 14:10:01

I would leave the bigger stuff if I were you as it sounds like you haven't got much room to store it. For my first, I bought most stuff second hand at car boot sales etc as and when I saw it so I collected it gradually from about 5 months onwards.
In your position, if you want new, I would wait until after Christmas when the sales are on. I suspect that a lot of the Black Friday 'deals' could probably be bought cheaper after Christmas. And the shops won't sell out of Moses baskets ( and if they do discontinue one range, it's presumably to bring in a new range).

ninkynonk14 Wed 23-Nov-16 19:56:46

I superstitiously bought hardly anything and then dd came a few weeks early so had a bit of a rush!
However, over a year later she's still not in her own (never decorated) room...

JustHappy3 Wed 23-Nov-16 21:10:32

You just have to know yourself. If you miscarried or baby was still born would you blame yourself because you bought things? If not then buy them. If you think you might (cos a tiny bit of you believes in the superstition/tempting fate stuff) then don't.
Definitely don't let anyone else's notions of wgat is correct/allowed influence you.
BUT that said - just to say that once baby comes along you don't get any chance to admire or enjoy all the baby stuff, you're too knackered and you only appreciate it's functional side. So i'm all for gettinv stuff early and just revelling in what's to come and nesting etc.

smushsmushmamma Wed 23-Nov-16 23:06:05

I would get things now, especially if you see things on sale! Do remember that once you have a baby you may have different thoughts on what you actually need.

I'd recommend getting things according to age and stage. So toys etc suitable for a newborn (stuff to look at mostly) and then a 6 week old and so on. If you can store it that would be great.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now