To take this make up back.

(19 Posts)
creamcheeseandlox Wed 23-Nov-16 11:36:38

Bought a bronzing block a few weeks ago from boots only a £4.99 one from collection. Nothing flashy. Not got the receipt (never keep it for make up) and took it out of my make up bag this morning and it has broken and all crumbled. Hardly even used it. This is a replacement for one that did exactly the same so gave it the Benefit of the doubt and got another. Now the second has also broken aibu to take it back to boots and complain and want a refund? Surely they are made to last longer than 2 weeks. Anyone got any experience of taking broken makeup back?

ShowMePotatoSalad Wed 23-Nov-16 11:42:52

Personally I wouldn't take it back. It has a plastic cap which should keep it contained. That compact is a loose powder formula compressed in to a block...it's quite likely to break apart like that with any kind of impact.

LifeLong13 Wed 23-Nov-16 11:52:38

It's bloody annoying but I wouldn't return it. Look at YouTube videos for fixing smashed makeup.

HappinessLivesHere Wed 23-Nov-16 21:46:42

Definitely wouldn't take back, these things happen. Yes it's disappointing but at least it wasn't expensive.

pipsqueak25 Wed 23-Nov-16 21:53:44

i don't think a refund / replacement would be forth coming, how would boots know you hadn't dropped it ? just saying..

lionsleepstonight Wed 23-Nov-16 22:02:30

I would. On principle. I returned a mascara that once opened was already dry. I exchanged it for another, and they even gave me the difference in cash (just a couple of quid). I didnt have a receipt, but you dont need one if its faulty. They'll send it back to the manufacturer and get their money back. If this is the second one, you've spent 10 pounds and still need to get another pallette. You are in your rights as its faulty, an eye compact should last longer than that.

rabbitmummy Wed 23-Nov-16 22:03:25

Boots (and everywhere else that sells make up) don't refund on make up due to infection risk. Could be worth a tweet though including the photo and an explanation...

lionsleepstonight Wed 23-Nov-16 22:04:01

ButI wouldn't get another of the same, you'll only risk the same happening again.

Bootsdrone Wed 23-Nov-16 22:09:06

I work for boots. We are told to exchange, so they're likely to offer you an exchange for goods to the value or the money off a more expensive product. Without a receipt you'll be given an exchange for whatever the current price is. Definitely explain this is the second one you've had that's broken like this and ask them if they'll be willing to fill in a quality control form

SlowSwimmingMom Wed 23-Nov-16 22:21:59

Bootsdrone - do you know if Boots will exchange a Bourjois foundation too ? Bought one recently but its completley the wrong shade (looked ok under the indoor light but orange once outdoors) , cost about £10, but i'd like to change for my usual brand. Been too shy to attempt it - what would be their policy on this please?

HelenaDove Wed 23-Nov-16 23:26:56

If you buy any of their Christmas gift sets this year please check all the products are there. This year some of their gift sets are in boxes that just flip open and arent sealed and there is no extra film lid or packaging over the products. WTF has possessed them to do it this way God only knows. Very easy for ppl to pinch them.

I was browsing through them yesterday and noticed the seal was missing on one that actually had a seal. Two of the 3 No 7 lip crayons were missing. I took it to the manager who thanked me for letting her know and she also thought their design of the gift sets was daft this year.

She also said "thats bloody great if someone was to open one of their gift sets on Christmas Day and find some of it missing"

Its bloody silly what they have done.

creamcheeseandlox Wed 23-Nov-16 23:43:23

I did take it back (nothing to loose ) and the make up girl exchanged it for me no problem. I exchanged it for something else though and paid the difference. Don't ask don't get. grin

SophieGiroux Wed 23-Nov-16 23:49:36

Slowswimming - I don't think it's likely you'll get a refund or exchange for getting a foundation in the wrong shade. I worked for Superdrug and no returned make up can be resold so there is a no returns policy unless faulty which in your case it isn't.

TheProblemOfSusan Wed 23-Nov-16 23:57:31

Glad you got it sorted! I've found generally if the problem is quality rather than just not liking it then people are generally happy to take things back. In fact I once took a full set of clinique three step programme back having only used it once - they were great about it, money fully returned, no quibbles. Which was good because it took the top layer of skin off.

(my sister uses it just fine, me and clinique don't get on apparently)

HelenaDove Thu 24-Nov-16 00:01:55

Susan i tried a Clinique lippy nearly six years ago when Glamour had a promotion. Felt like wearing a lighter version of plaster of Paris and made my lips sore. Still at least it was a cheap way to find out as Glamour is only £2.

Itsallgoodimtold Thu 24-Nov-16 00:17:13

How does it work with foundation returns? Anyone? I have bought several in the last 2 or 3 years and always on advice by the person on the counter, e.g Liz Arden, clinique, declined the benefit one as I became a bit more savvy. They all looked amazing according to the salesperson who got my shade exactly right in the store, but have ended up at the charity shop despite the huge expense.

creamcheeseandlox Thu 24-Nov-16 16:58:16

I would take it back and say you bought it as advised and tested out by the sales lady. I would be angry if I spent a lot of money on a product that was tested on my skin and liked fine indoors (usually under the bright store lights) but looked totally wrong in daylight. It's different if you bought it and just chanced it yourself but to have a 'professional' mua advise and still get it wrong I wouldn't be pleased.

Champagneformyrealfriends Thu 24-Nov-16 17:15:36

Boots have a very good return/exchange policy ime - I'm glad they sorted it.

Itsallgoodimtold Thu 24-Nov-16 23:24:10

Thanks for the advice cheese, glad you got your exchange smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now