AIBU to complain about this Christmas ornament?

(30 Posts)
happyvalley4 Tue 22-Nov-16 14:48:51

We got a puppy this year and the puppy and my dd (7) are inseparable.

So I thought it would be nice (for my dd ) for the puppy to have her own tree ornament so I ordered this one from eBay for £9.99. And the second one is what I got.

The personalisation (Mia) has been just written on with a sharpie - and not very well! It's not central and is very small.

AIBU to complain? Or do you think this is acceptable for the price?

RebeccaWithTheGoodHair Tue 22-Nov-16 14:50:31

God no, it's shite! Nothing like the image and £9.99 seems a fair amount for it. Not like you've bought it from the 99p shop!

Definitely ask for a refund.

ShowMePotatoSalad Tue 22-Nov-16 14:51:08

OMG that's appalling. Lol, I'm sorry..it's so bad it's funny. YANBU and you need a refund stat

RebeccaWithTheGoodHair Tue 22-Nov-16 14:51:22

PS Nice idea though - I might do the same for the DDogs ...

Moonshine86 Tue 22-Nov-16 14:57:56

eBay will refund it you are protected. Looks very different. X

Fluffsnuts Tue 22-Nov-16 14:58:35

That's awful! 9.99!!!! That's a complete ripoff. Complain and get your money back and leave bad feedback

whatsthebigdeal Tue 22-Nov-16 15:00:13

I would complain, if I'd paid 99p I'd be ok with it but not for £9.99

Biffa44 Tue 22-Nov-16 15:02:05

I've had a crap day, but that ornament made me laugh out loud. Thanks for that. Other than for it's amusement value, it is absolutely dreadful and would be unacceptable at 99p.

Ahickiefromkinickie Tue 22-Nov-16 15:04:03

YANBU, definitely complain and ask for a refund.

(Although, tbh, I wouldn't have paid a tenner for it).

Leopard12 Tue 22-Nov-16 15:07:21

I'd probably complain but wouldn't be that bothered if it didn't get anywhere, and rub off the Mia with something (nail varnish remover should work but be careful it doesn't damage the actual ornament) and write it better yourself!

Somerville Tue 22-Nov-16 15:14:03

That looks so pants I might not complain and just hang it on the tree as a talking point... but yes, I do think you'd have grounds for a complaint and refund.

steppedonlego Tue 22-Nov-16 15:14:17

Definately open a dispute. You'll almost certainly receive your money back

OlennasWimple Tue 22-Nov-16 15:17:13

I laughed out loud when I saw it - it is truly terrible! At least if you are going to handwrite stuff, you should have lovely handwriting!

I agree - if you had only paid £1-2, then Ok, but £10 for something that isn't really useable..? Nah

steff13 Tue 22-Nov-16 15:18:29

It looks pretty janky. I'd dispute it.

We had an ornament for our old dog, and one for our current dog. My husband and I literally tear up every time we put Max's ornament on the tree. He was a good little guy.

AndNowItsSeven Tue 22-Nov-16 15:18:45

I think the seller would be more at home on Facebook than eBay.

Serialweightwatcher Tue 22-Nov-16 15:20:21

Definitely complain - nothing like the picture which looks nicely, professionally done - a kid could have written that - it's not even the right size letters to make it look good

pipsqueak25 Tue 22-Nov-16 15:22:17

def refund, not doubt this seller is parting a lot of buyers from their money, and they might not chase it up to complain either.

BeautyGoesToBenidorm Tue 22-Nov-16 15:26:32

Yeah, that's utter wank. eBay won't even question a refund here!

stopfuckingshoutingatme Tue 22-Nov-16 15:27:48

they sell these in poundland, just sayin.... grin

cushioncovers Tue 22-Nov-16 15:29:47

Wow £9.99!! someone is having a laugh at your expense op. Definitely get a refund

MissVictoria Tue 22-Nov-16 15:31:38

The ornament its self is nice, just the "Mia" is badly placed/written. Could you not just use an alcohol wipe to remove the "Mia" and re-write it yourself? Or have your DD re write it/decorate it to make it more personal?
Honestly i really don't think it's that bad. It might not be exactly what you expected, but making the seller pay for the postage out and back in to return it (Ebay's standard label is £2.99!) is a bit unfair. I wouldn't have paid 9.99 for the advertisement picture, but the difference between them isn't THAT big.

Trifleorbust Tue 22-Nov-16 15:33:05

Against the grain here but I don't see how it is that much different from the (admittedly overpriced) version in the first picture. Letters are a bit smaller but you can still read it. For a tenner I was daft enough to spend to start with, I would just write it off.

MissVictoria Tue 22-Nov-16 15:34:00

Meant to add, you're buying something customised off Ebay, considering the massive range of dogs names, it was probably asking to much if you expected the name on the bone to be specially printed like the wording on the heart. THAT would have cost more than £9.99.

MissVictoria Tue 22-Nov-16 15:36:12

Actually, doesn't something being customised void buyer protection? It's not like they can resell the item once it's got a specific name on it. I know that used to be the rules anyway.

bimbobaggins Tue 22-Nov-16 15:43:47

There's a gift shop near my work who sells personalised gifts like this and they write it on with a sharpie. Not very neat either. I'd complain

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now