Ok, ok, help me please - I'm scared of my food mixer

(16 Posts)
Ilove Tue 22-Nov-16 10:54:50

Yes I know I sound nuts

It's a Magimix 4200 XL

It's capable of powering the national grid. I have lots of attachments for it and it has three bowls and was bloody expensive, I've had it a year and used it twice to grate cheese.

It was bought to replace my old (knackered) one but to DH's disgust I am still using the old one...

I have a wedding cake to make in April and WANT to use this amazing machine that is just sat here gathering dust and smirking at me.

Help, please!

AIBU to be scared of an (in)animate object???

Kirstyinnorway Tue 22-Nov-16 10:58:10

I am perfectly capable of using my big mixer but absolutely terrified of my mini one (used for making small amounts of breadcrumbs/chopping a small onion/etc)... It sounds just like someone is murdering a cat. It SCREAMS confused

I have to use it covered by one large pillow and DH's winter coat, just so the house rabbits don't absolutely freak out.

<unhelpful>

Ilove Tue 22-Nov-16 10:59:23

Kirsty I have one of those too - I want to use that one as well!

Somerville Tue 22-Nov-16 11:01:04

grin
How do you feel about your toaster?
And should we stage an intervention about your coffee machine?

In terms of advice... read the manual and then watch some YouTube videos of other people using theirs. No idea beyond that, sorry.

Batteriesallgone Tue 22-Nov-16 11:06:00

Ok ok. Start small. My advice is whisk some eggs in it. Just eggs. You'll be so amazed by the mega whisking capabilities you'll be tempted to do more.

Read the manual, pick one bowl and one attachment to mix a basic sponge cake. Make the cake. Do any folding by hand if you want to.

Then once you've used it for that, lay out all the other attachments on the side and mentally label them. Are the different bowls just so you can make more than one mix in the same baking session? Or do they have different properties.

Ilove Tue 22-Nov-16 11:06:18

Ah now the toaster is lovely, and I have two coffee machines that I LOVE - one bean to cup and one German ground coffee percolating thing. They are lovely and smiley and friendly.

The magimix sits in a line with them and doesn't behave in the same way!!!!

Ilove Tue 22-Nov-16 11:08:11

Ok so the bowls are different sizes - large, medium and small. Large metal blade and small metal blade. It either turns on or off, or you can press the "pulse" button. No variation in speed.

Think its motor has come from a jet engine - it's got a 20 year warranty on it!

roseteapot101 Tue 22-Nov-16 11:08:19

you sound me and the iron every time i try to use it the clothes end up worst then when they started >.>

i wish i had a state of the art food mixer mine's to small and leaks every were.Just experiment with it make cheap cakes out of box mix that dont matter if something go's wrong

YoHoHoandabottleofTequila Tue 22-Nov-16 11:09:06

Clearly you should give it to me grin

I have a kitchen aid and I love it but it doesn't grate stuff.

Ilove Tue 22-Nov-16 11:09:40

Here it is

See it smirking??

Ilove Tue 22-Nov-16 11:10:47

The manual has, erm, vanished somewhere...

I have all the bits though. No idea what half of them do...

Somerville Tue 22-Nov-16 11:14:35

Online manuals are here

Ilove Tue 22-Nov-16 11:15:43

Ooh...thankyou. I will have a look.

blueturtle6 Tue 22-Nov-16 11:19:35

Make roasted toasted tomato soup in it,roast oven, blitz in the smirking machine. That'll teach it smile

crashdoll Tue 22-Nov-16 11:57:19

YANBU, it looks very scary. Can I have instead please?

Ilove Tue 22-Nov-16 12:44:12

Have just had a look through the manual and it really looks ace.

But it's just so...scary sad

<pathetic>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now