Tips on shirt armpit washing

(42 Posts)
Madeyemoodysmum Mon 21-Nov-16 19:56:55

I know you lot are cleverer than me so I ask, do you have any tricks to getting armpits in shirts nice and clean so they are not crispy and hold that residue deodorant smell. I'd love to get dh shirts lasting longer than they do? After a while they just seem unwearable and unclean. Thanks.

Slightlyperturbedowlagain Mon 21-Nov-16 19:58:15

I would like to know this too!

fc301 Mon 21-Nov-16 20:04:37

Vanish in its many forms. I use spray/ gel. Or soak in the powder solution if really bad, and put some powder in with the wash.
Should do it x

fc301 Mon 21-Nov-16 20:05:14

Apply to both sides of the fabric.

fc301 Mon 21-Nov-16 20:05:45

And use 60C if possible... shit I need to get out more!

FannyWisdom Mon 21-Nov-16 20:06:14

As if you need to ask....

Zoflora.

Not every wash just pits and socks.

ceeveebee Mon 21-Nov-16 20:06:56

Around once a month, I mix oxy powder or stain remover with a little water to make a paste and then spread it on, leave a few hours and then wash on 60.

topcat2014 Mon 21-Nov-16 20:07:03

Is it the fabric of the shirts? Just wondering, as my shirts don't suffer this (and they are only Primark)?

AnotherEmma Mon 21-Nov-16 20:07:10

Vinegar

InterchangeableEmma Mon 21-Nov-16 20:08:42

Rubbing alcohol will dissolve the residue and kill the bacteria. I've not found anything else that actually works rather than just being a temporary fix.

StarryIllusion Mon 21-Nov-16 20:10:11

You're not washing them hot enough if there is still deodorant residue on them. Do you use Bio Washing powder? Non bio is crap for stains. Use enough of it? Either that or he needs to change deodorants. Roll on ones are horrible for wrecking shirts.

Slightlyperturbedowlagain Mon 21-Nov-16 20:11:42

topcat2014 I think it's possibly more the activity level of the person and the temperature of the workplace. DH shares a tiny sweat box with 3 fug-lovers and also rushes around part of the day. Even pure cotton shirts do this, but no problem in previous work places.

ceeveebee Mon 21-Nov-16 20:13:20

I tend to find its from Creme/solid deodorant - it sticks to the fabric and is hard to shift.

limitedperiodonly Mon 21-Nov-16 20:15:05

You're probably washing on too low a temperature. Deodorant residue is hard to shift and it holds on to sweat so as soon as you iron it or wear it you get that smell.

A cotton shirt should be able to stand up to a higher temperature. The problem is with woo, ,because once you get that build up you can't shift it unless you want to end up with a doll's top.

limitedperiodonly Mon 21-Nov-16 20:17:00

or wool - a woo dolly's top is the stuff of horror films grin

HelenaWay Mon 21-Nov-16 20:20:38

Tell him to do his own washing for a start.

White vinegar.

bumblingmum Mon 21-Nov-16 20:22:54

I read the other day that lemon juice on both sides should help. I remembered the tip as need to try it on DHs shirts

Palace2 Mon 21-Nov-16 20:23:04

Make a paste with white vinegar and bicarbonate of soda and let it soak in for a little while

lucillevanpelt Mon 21-Nov-16 20:23:27

I have had success with soaking using a paste of vanish or the equivalent "coloured fabric" stain remover stuff AND using a nail brush to gently scrub the residue away and work the stain remover into the fabric. I think that the encrusted-ness is really broken down quicker by the mechanical scrubbing. Old fashioned approach but effective.

thenightsky Mon 21-Nov-16 20:26:32

DH's karate suit (gi) was yellow and rigid under the arms. Back to white again with this!

PinkiePiesCupcakes Mon 21-Nov-16 20:27:03

Tesco do a own version oxy action type thing.
Scoop into a bowl of hot water.
First, dab white vinegar onto the pit area until its soaked, leave it for a few minutes.
Then put into the bowl of hot water and oxy stuff. Give the pits a little rub together and leave to soak for as long as ypou like.
When you're done soaking them, sling them in a normal wash. They shoukd come out fine.

This is what I do with my GF work uniform, she's a carer thoiugh so wears the blue nurse type shirt thingies. It does for her filthy pits.
grin

EmpressoftheMundane Mon 21-Nov-16 20:27:48

Soda crystals added to the wash.

Ineedanewbody Mon 21-Nov-16 20:29:23

White vinegar. Spray it on, leave for a couple of hours then wash. I add vinegar as a softener too. Really works.

Rainbunny Mon 21-Nov-16 20:44:11

Oxy stain treatments work best on "protein stains" (sweat, bodily fluids etc...). Never use bleach on a protein stain, it will not work and actually react with the stain to make it worse and permanent! That's all I know.

FourEyesGood Mon 21-Nov-16 20:48:19

DH sprays supermarket own-brand Vanish-style stain remover spray onto the pits of his shirts before each wash. Things have been much better since he started doing that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now