To be pissed off that noone bought me a drink?

(38 Posts)
livvylongpants Sun 20-Nov-16 21:24:42

So this afternoon we go out for a roast dinner, big group of us, I think 12, for a friend's birthday.

We arrive and buy a drink for all 12 people.

We chat for a bit and then go and sit down, at which point I realise everyone has a new drink except for me, I mention this to DP and he goes and gets one for me, upon putting it on the table BIL suddenly pipes up 'oh sorry livvy I forgot to get you one and proceeds to get me a drink'

After dinner we have a few more drinks, I keep noticing DP has a fresh pint, everyone is buying a drink back in their round for DP and not for me!

Not long after I came home as had the DC with me but am feeling a bit annoyed, DP had noticed and asked one of the people who they didn't buy me a drink, they simply saidbthey didn't realise I was drinking.

AIBU to be a bit peeved that noone bothered to even ask?

SaucyJack Sun 20-Nov-16 21:28:25

Were the others in couples?

5OBalesofHay Sun 20-Nov-16 21:30:54

How many did you buy? Bit mean to not get you one if you were buying in a round.

OohhThatsMe Sun 20-Nov-16 21:31:56

But even if you weren't drinking alcohol, you would be having a soft drink, wouldn't you? Miserable bastards!

livvylongpants Sun 20-Nov-16 21:34:23

A mix, 5 couples and 2 singles, I was drinking alcohol as was walking home (not far from our house)

YelloDraw Sun 20-Nov-16 21:34:32

Yeah off to not get you a drink. But to be honest rounds of 12 are always going to be fraught with issues.

EsmesBees Sun 20-Nov-16 21:37:36

That's really rude. Were the kids with you through the meal and the drinks? It's a shame, but the sad truth is that some people just don't see you if you are looking after children.

TheGruffaloMother Sun 20-Nov-16 21:45:53

12 is too big a group to do rounds really. Are you sure that subsequent drinks were bought in full rounds (excluding a drink for you of course)?

Lelloteddy Sun 20-Nov-16 21:51:06

12 rounds of drinks would have rendered me incapable of looking after children though. I don't buy a round of drinks and expect everyone to buy a round back. If you can afford drinks for 12 fine but not everybody could?

witsender Sun 20-Nov-16 21:52:33

Weird to happen more than once, very odd!

MigsSlippers Sun 20-Nov-16 21:53:04

12's big for rounds. Did you or DP buy a round? Do you have a particularly expensive taste in drinks?

StealthPolarBear Sun 20-Nov-16 21:53:30

Yes they're rude.

StealthPolarBear Sun 20-Nov-16 21:54:02

Lello and grufflo her dh got one

livvylongpants Sun 20-Nov-16 21:54:14

It's not 12 drinks as usually each couple will buy a round and whoever hasn't will buy next time if that makes sense.

Yes everyone else for a round bar me (I know the singles bought rounds after a few of us left which was fair enough as don't expect them to buy couple drinks)

The 3 DC were with both of ua

CherryCokeFairy Sun 20-Nov-16 21:56:02

Even if you weren't drinking alcohol they could have offered you a soft drink...

NoNutsPlease Sun 20-Nov-16 21:56:12

Was it pre agreed that everyone was buying a round?

I hate these things, I would rather just buy my own drinks. Who would want 12 drinks anyway confused

But YANBU if they were buying dp drinks, but not you.

Lilaclily Sun 20-Nov-16 21:56:38

Oh its the thing where everyone thinks mum won't drink because she's looking after the kids but dad can enjoy himself hmm

StealthPolarBear Sun 20-Nov-16 21:58:33

Exactly lilac. Unless he's babysitting!

Stillunexpected Sun 20-Nov-16 21:59:03

Why doesn't everybody just buy their own drinks? For everyone to contribute would mean the 5 couples and the 2 singles all buying drinks, or otherwise everybody buys a round? Either way, it's 7 or 12 drinks which is ridiculous. You say that the people who don't buy this time buy next time but that depends on the exact same people attending an occasion together again. Having to buy for 12 people makes for an expensive afternoon.

bittapitta Sun 20-Nov-16 22:00:35

Did they assume you were pregnant or breastfeeding? Or driving? I'd be annoyed too I think, they could have offered rather than ignored you.

AbernathysFringe Sun 20-Nov-16 22:08:46

Maybe it's that episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm where Larry gets annoyed that when out to dinner with friends, the husband picks up the tab and the husband AND wife get thanked. ie. you say 'we' bought a round when we arrived, maybe that only counted as only one of you buying a round.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Sun 20-Nov-16 22:16:40

It's not 12 drinks as usually each couple will buy a round and whoever hasn't will buy next time if that makes sense.

So was everyone buying for one person in each couple? So 7 drinks per round (1 drink per couple, 2 singles) and then alternating?

We just do everyone buys a round - couples buy separate rounds, so I'd buy a round, friend would buy a round, my DP would buy a round, friends DP would buy a round - or no rounds and everyone either gets their own drinks or gets drinks for whomever is running out when they go.

It seems odd that everyone forgot you, especially after DH went to the effort of getting you one and BIL presumably drew attention to having forgotten - you'd think people would remember after that if it was a case of forgetting.

HeyOverHere Sun 20-Nov-16 23:08:48

Unless he's babysitting!

If it's his own kids, it's not babysitting--it's parenting!

ExitPursuedBySpartacus Sun 20-Nov-16 23:15:10

<irony emoticon>

VaginaJones Sun 20-Nov-16 23:16:36

Ugh I hate doing 'rounds' for this exact reason - always someone getting accused of not paying their way or leaving somebody out ect. Far easier for people just to pay for their own!! grinwine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now