AIBU to think that 14 (y10) is too young for Call of Duty?

(132 Posts)
tigerdriverII Sun 20-Nov-16 21:05:15

According to DS "everyone " plays it. Do they? AIBU to say that if you're 14 you don't get to play 18 games?

Sparklingbrook Sun 20-Nov-16 21:06:18

DS1 is 14 and he plays it and so do all of his friends.

tigerdriverII Sun 20-Nov-16 21:08:01

Oh sparkling, you're usually a voice of reason shock

Sparklingbrook Sun 20-Nov-16 21:10:16

Sorry. Just telling the truth.

TBF he probably played it earlier as he has an older brother who had it and for a time they shared a PS4.
Plus since FIFA17 came out he hasn't played COD much at all.

BawbagBiggins Sun 20-Nov-16 21:12:02

Isn't COD the game that you can turn off blood/gore and the expletives?

someonestolemynick Sun 20-Nov-16 21:12:26

You know your child best.
They are arbitrary guidelines and your child is unlikely to be traumatised for life.
Unless he was very sensitive, I'd let him play.

flossietoot Sun 20-Nov-16 21:13:42

It is vile, incredibly life like, but I do remember my foster sons friends did all have it at that age. They think it is cool

Mumofgoff Sun 20-Nov-16 21:14:16

Technically your right but in reality I know a lot of younger kids that play it 😞 you can youtube these games ..have a look at it and see for yourself what it's about and if you'd be happy with him playing it

RibbitRabbit Sun 20-Nov-16 21:14:21

Honestly i'd just let him play it- he will more than likely play it at a friends house anyway if you don't.

MotherOfBeagles Sun 20-Nov-16 21:14:39

My dh is a massive gamer, and i spend most of my nights watching him play games instead of watching tv (joy). I would say that COD isnt suitable for a 14yr old and as far as my dh is aware you cant turn of the expletives and blood/gore (he just double checked).

Could you ask a friend who might have the game to watch some gameplay and decide yourself? if not you can youtube COD gameplay and be able to see some there?

IHaveBrilloHair Sun 20-Nov-16 21:15:02

He's not lying, they do all play it at that age.

DramaInPyjamas Sun 20-Nov-16 21:15:29

My son and his friends all play it as well - (13)

I figured I may as well just let him, as he'd play it at someone else's home anyway.

usual Sun 20-Nov-16 21:15:31

I think 14 is ok to play COD.

tigerdriverII Sun 20-Nov-16 21:15:48

No worries. It's all FIFA here too but I just asked if there were any games he'd like for Xmas....

WhooooAmI24601 Sun 20-Nov-16 21:17:12

DS1 is 11 and a lot of his friends from school play on it (I've gone so far as asking parents when I've seen them in case he's having me on). I don't judge what folk do in that respect; we let DS2 watch Star Wars last December when it came out and he wasn't quite 5 (we'd watched it beforehand and checked it out) but it was a 12A, so not really aimed at him.

You know your DCs best. If you're sure he's going to play sensibly and not be stressed by the game, it probably won't hurt.

hidingwithwine Sun 20-Nov-16 21:18:00

DS1 was playing COD at 14 (just started at that age) but DH who I defer to in all things gaming cos I hate it wouldn't let him play any GTA games until recently (he's almost 18 now)

Halloweensnake Sun 20-Nov-16 21:18:14

Mine had it at 12, didn't make it in to a big deal,it was a 5 minute wonder, now they are both obsessed with chemistry and physics and studying enough to get to uni...by 13 it didn't come out of the box...but FIFA on the other hand......

Suppermummy02 Sun 20-Nov-16 21:18:53

been playing it with friends since 12yo. Don't know anyone who isn't allowed to, its just a video game.

Secretsandlies222 Sun 20-Nov-16 21:19:05

My son is 16 and has been playing COD since he was 14, as have most of his friends. It doesn't seem to have had had any adverse affect on him.

tigerdriverII Sun 20-Nov-16 21:19:37

Thanks so much for your views, all. DH thinks it's fine. I've always been quite strict about ratings but I do remember being that age myself and it wasn't shooting games that was the attraction blush.

I'm in thinking about it mode

dementedma Sun 20-Nov-16 21:20:15

My 14 year old plays it, along with Fifa and Halo.

onemorecupofcoffeefortheroad Sun 20-Nov-16 21:21:49

Our son is nearly 16 has had it for years (bought after much consideration) So have all his friends. They are all nice kids, they all work hard at school and don't get into trouble. Computer games don't wreck kids - not on their own anyway although I recognise that against the back drop of bad patenting they can. However nestled in amongst a good home where they are brought up with the right values I think they can be fairly harmless.

Angelto5 Sun 20-Nov-16 21:27:07

Which COD are we on about OP?

My ds (18) is a gamer-he's been playing assassins creed: syndicate today. Would highly recommend the assassins creed games as they're are historically accurate in terms of where and when famous people die (including other historical events).

Houseofplumroots Sun 20-Nov-16 21:28:05

Gosh, my DB has been playing that since he was about 8. He seems ok.

tigerdriverII Sun 20-Nov-16 21:38:52

I surrender grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now