To keep the kids off school tomorrow?

(13 Posts)
DoneAndDustednow Sun 20-Nov-16 19:01:14

At midday today the electricity went on my entire Street. I was in the way to my mums for the day.

Called the national grid and they don't expect it to be back on till after midnight.

AIBU to just stay at my mums tonight and keep the kids off school tomorrow because...
1 if I go home now I won't have electricty at all. No lights. Nothing to make breakfast plus all food may be ruined.

2 I can't stay here and take them school in the morning as it's an hours drive and we got picked up. I don't drive and my mum will be going work in the morning so can't take us home early.

3 their uniform is trapped in the washing machine. Full of water and I can't open the door.

???

hoping2016 Sun 20-Nov-16 19:08:27

Yes I think it's fine to have a day off under the circumstances

hollyatchristmas Sun 20-Nov-16 19:09:15

yeh give them the day off

LemonRedwood Sun 20-Nov-16 19:10:27

I think that's a pretty decent reason for them to have a day off!

Northernlurker Sun 20-Nov-16 19:12:16

You can't go home with no electric. Perfectly fine to ring school and say you had to go to family due to a prolonged blackout.

GreenTureen Sun 20-Nov-16 19:12:22

YANBU but food won't ruin after 12 hours...both fridge and frozen should be fine!

Ours was off for 24 hours a couple of weeks ago and there was no difference in the freezer temperature at all, not a drop of water or anything.

mogloveseggs Sun 20-Nov-16 19:13:01

Definitely stay at your mums. Enjoy your sleepover and I hope your electric is back on ASAP

Witchend Sun 20-Nov-16 19:20:07

I agree with you. I wouldn't come back.

But:
Food won't be ruined (we've just had three weeks with no fridge due to a little disagreement with the supplier; and the freezer stuff will be fine)
There'll be a cut out for the washing machine so you can manually drain it and open the door.
Plus I'm sure in the circumstances you could find something not too garish they could wear and send them with a note explaining the situation. Even our (very fussy) school would accept that-they were happy for dd2 to come straight in in civics when we got back unexpectedly early from a hospital appointment.

Creampastry Sun 20-Nov-16 19:34:32

Food in feeezer will be good for 48 hours, less if it isn't full.

DoneAndDustednow Sun 20-Nov-16 20:01:53

Going to forget about school. What a pain in the bum.

MrsItsNoworNotatAll1 Sun 20-Nov-16 20:06:40

Yep. Day off school.

Your food should be ok.

How bloody annoying for you.

DoneAndDustednow Sun 20-Nov-16 21:11:41

Thanks guys. Guilt gone.

Lucked Sun 20-Nov-16 21:14:17

I would maybe make it a half day and take them in after lunch

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now