To tell DP not to help DS roll over?

(22 Posts)
Hellmouth Sat 19-Nov-16 18:04:37

Literally, if DS (4 months) is trying to roll over, DP has tried physically helping him and his dad today said we should do that.

I disagree and think that we should be encouraging him to roll with toys, or lying down next to him just out of arms reach, otherwise he won't learn to do it himself.

Am I wrong? Do both methods work?

5minutestobed Sat 19-Nov-16 18:06:42

We always helped DS roll over and he learnt at 14 weeks to do it himself. Ds2 still can't roll over at 6 months despite us doing it with him too so I think it doesn't make any difference they will do it when they are ready to!

JohnLapsleyParlabane Sat 19-Nov-16 18:07:39

Personally, I'd let the baby work it out for himself. The transitional movements in trying to roll are good exercise and help towards sensory development.

BertrandRussell Sat 19-Nov-16 18:07:42

"otherwise he won't learn to do it himself.

Am I wrong? Do both methods work?"

Of course he'll learn to do it himself- that's what babies do. He doesn't need to be taught. If your dp likes helping him then he's learning about happily interacting with his dad.

Oysterbabe Sat 19-Nov-16 18:08:27

I think you should do both.

JenLindleyShitMom Sat 19-Nov-16 18:09:21

grin

Do you think you'll be stuck with still having to roll him in and out of bed when he is 27 if he is helped now at 4 months?

Relax. Helping him roll is doing no harm, leaving him to do it himself is doing no harm.

Hellmouth Sat 19-Nov-16 18:11:02

Ok thanks for the comments. Seems it's more down to personal preference than anything.

MrsTerryPratchett Sat 19-Nov-16 18:12:26

otherwise he won't learn to do it himself Bless. grin

Inthenick Sat 19-Nov-16 18:12:28

I think neither things matter a jot. Let your DH get on with helping him if he is enjoying doing it. It will make zero difference.

EdithWeston Sat 19-Nov-16 18:32:17

You simply can't 'help' a baby learn to roll, and more than you can help them learn to crawl or to walk.

They just do it themselves, by trial and error, when they're good and ready.

If it amuses your DH to roll your DS about, it won't make any difference either way. But it's nice that he's playing with him.

PeachBellini123 Sat 19-Nov-16 20:20:41

hmm I'm sure your baby will learn eventually whatever you do.

I don't think you should 'tell' your husband to do anything - it's quitr patronising.

PerspicaciaTick Sat 19-Nov-16 20:23:49

I think it is more important for your DP to feel confident interacting with your DS, then it is for you to always be right about all things baby-related.
Relax, let them enjoy playing together. Long may it last.

Trifleorbust Sat 19-Nov-16 20:29:22

I don't think it really matters. Your son will learn to roll either way and your DH will not alter this by helping him.

DeadGood Sat 19-Nov-16 20:31:50

"I think it is more important for your DP to feel confident interacting with your DS, then it is for you to always be right about all things baby-related."

I agree with this. BUT... I'd also be slightly irritated by both my partner and his dad telling me that their way is the right way when it clearly isn't

Babies really don't need help with this sort of thing. They need "spotting" (basically being on hand to make sure they don't hurt themselves or become overly frustrated) but should otherwise be left to get on with it.

ninkynonk14 Sat 19-Nov-16 22:18:56

My dd enjoyed being rolled over and over as a game and a physio showed us how to 'help' her learn - partly by moving her legs, partly by encouraging with toys.
She never really did it much herself tho as a movement, but could.
Each do your own thing and she'll just enjoy the interaction with her parents :-)

eyebrowsonfleek Sat 19-Nov-16 22:22:51

Theres no harm doing both. Practicing on his own will strengthen his muscles but having he also benefits from his dad's touch and interaction.

Dobbyandme Sat 19-Nov-16 22:26:57

We "showed" DD by helping her if she was getting frustrated but mostly we left her to it. I used to put desirable things next to her just out of reach and then move them to a point diagonally up from her head as reaching up that way seemed to help her along as well.

I think once you've done it for them a few times they know what they're aiming for and are just needing to develop the muscles that result in that action. If you always do it for them then the muscle tone could take longer IYSWIM.

I would be a bit pissed off at being ganged up on though!

HeddaGarbled Sat 19-Nov-16 23:56:29

You do not need to put toys "just out of reach" to encourage babies to roll over. They will do this naturally when they are ready. Jeez, just relax with the tiger mothering.

UterusUterusGhali Sun 20-Nov-16 00:02:12

I think you're overthinking it.

I don't think you should "tell" your dh what to do. He's playing with the baby. There aren't rules, except, y'know, the obvious.

If you really want it to roll over, put it on the sofa or bed and turn your back for a couple of seconds. Voila!
The baby will be on the floor. grin
That's when they usually get it.

Bananabread123 Sun 20-Nov-16 07:50:24

I might be completely wrong but I'd wager good money that this is your firstborn! smile

splendide Sun 20-Nov-16 07:53:57

Yes they tend to learn by being placed momentarily on something high.

Sparklingbrook Sun 20-Nov-16 08:09:09

I don't remember this stage with my two DC. confused They are teens now and seem fine though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now